Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 719598 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
FYI Photo of the front cover of EW http://www.ew.com/ew/inside/issue/0,,ewTax:1174,00.html Haven't received my copy in the mail yet.

Young Victoria Winters-very interesting

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
What's wild is that the article on EW.com has only fallen to #3 after more than three days. Apparently a huge amount of people are interested in seeing what Depp and the rest of the cast actually look like and/or to read their characters' descriptions. And that can't be a bad thing.  [ghost_wink]  And it probably doesn't hurt either that dozens and dozens of people are still tweeting on Twitter about the photo/article and providing links to it.

228 days 2 hours 30 minutes 1 second until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
Most of us read newspaper articles daily written by people we don't know anything about other than they are reporters.  Many take into consideration what critics will write about a movie and we don't know the critics or their particular tastes or biases yet accept their verdict as probably being valid.  This human habit is hardly restricted to DS fans.

I'd say anyone that comes here daily to read tweets from people they don't know about a movie based on a show that has been off the air as long as DS has is a bit obsessive.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Personally, I think that would be a nice, funny touch to the movie and perfectly within credibility as someone born two hundred years ago would be quite started to see electric lights and cars all over the place.  I would have liked to have seen Barnabas' reaction to such things on the original series.

Does he just wander the streets of Collinsport as he discovers things like cars and lights? In my minds eyes I can't see that as anything other than very comical. I hope it isn't.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I'm glad to see some very recognizable inspiration from the original series.  I am very curious to see how the photo of JD as Barnabas plays on the big screen.  Right now, judging from this one photo, he looks too much like baby Barnabas or, as another poster said, JD looks like a 12 year old playing dress up as Barnabas.  I'm fairly confident that will not be the look they are going for on the big screen. [ghost_wink]

I am most definitely happy about the photo and was thrilled to see they made an attempt to replicate the famous '67 cast photo!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I don't know if you've seen the print version of the cast photo, but as I said, to me Depp looks older in it than he does in the online version. I suppose the higher resolution provides some sort of detail that's missing online.

227 days 13 hours 29 minutes 17 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
That's good to know.  I'm not making any hard and fast opinions on it until I've the film.

I don't know if you've seen the print version of the cast photo, but as I said, to me Depp looks older in it than he does in the online version. I suppose the higher resolution provides some sort of detail that's missing online.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
It may just be me, but I think the corners of his mouth make him look older.

Also, I just came across this tweet:

Jvsmith88 Joelle Smith
Just got the new Empire Magazine. Dark Shadows looks kinda awesome. I hope Tim Burton is returning to form.
4 hours ago

Unless she meant to say Entertainment Weekly, it seems as if there could also be something in Empire. Unfortunately, though, I just checked the cover online and there's nothing on it to indicate DS might have something except for perhaps this: "RICHIE'S GAME OF SHADOWS AND 35 MORE MUST SEE MOVIES YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT NOW!" But that seems likely to be the winter preview and I don't see why DS would be a part of that. And a search of the site didn't bring up anything recent except for a rehash of the EW article with their photo. (Though on the plus side, Chloe Moretz' Hugo does have what looks to be a two page article.)

227 days 13 hours 3 minutes 9 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
there is something misleading about that photograph in terms of depp's appearance. he is 48 years old. no matter how he's lit and made up he can only look so "young" onscreen.

i think it's funny that in some of the polls one of the choices is that depp and burton will make this film "too weird". cause, um, the original series wasn't "weird" at all, right? [ghost_rolleyes]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
i think it's funny that in some of the polls one of the choices is that depp and burton will make this film "too weird". cause, um, the original series wasn't "weird" at all, right? [ghost_rolleyes]

Exactly!  [ghost_wink]

227 days 12 hours 28 minutes 36 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
And since Depp and Burton are DS fans, we can also believe that the uniqueness of the series gave them inspiration to think outside the box (or coffin).

Nancy

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I realize that, considering the film is still shooting, it's early to get into this, but I really hope the Depp/DS film isn't test screened to death. And the reason I bring it up now is because I was just reading an article about recent test screenings of Chloe Moretz' Hugo that warned that the comments and impressions being shared wouldn't necessarily reflect on the final version of the film because that final version could be very different from what audiences are seeing in the test screenings because, based on their reactions, the edit of the film could easily change. And this is a film directed by Martin Scorsese - not some fledgling or mid-level director without clout. And also, in last week's issue of Entertainment Weekly, Brad Pitt talked about how his favorite scene in Legends of the Fall was taken out because audience response during test screenings ranked it the #1 most hated scene. But very interestingly, it was also ranked the #2 most liked scene, and Pitt tried to explain to the studio that the whole point of the scene was to evoke emotion - which it obviously did with opinion so split over it. But apparently that didn't matter to the studio. And that prompted the EW writer to remark that "God forbid you get an actual reaction from people."

**sigh**

227 days 10 hours 30 minutes 14 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile

Well, there's weird and then there's weird, y'know? I think probably most people are worried about DS getting weird in the cartoony, whimsical vein that Burton often goes for. The DS we know and love is more weird in the sense of "eerie". (Of course there are the multitudes who only think of DS as being the bloopers, which were absolutely nowhere near as ubiquitous as some would have us believe. Or they think of "overacting" and "low budget" production values, whereas DS was a very typical soap in regard to those factors. The only reason we saw stuff such as the flimsiness of sets and props was because DS had much more action and stuntwork going on compared to other soaps.)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
well aside from all that i think from about 1968 on the series certainly qualifies as "weird" plotwise as well. just try explaining the later part of the adam storyline or leviathans to the uninitiated and you'll get alot of blank stares. but that's a separate conversation really.

but i know what you mean in terms of this film and i hope it's not excessively "cartoonish" as well. the new cast photo strikes me as having the proper gothic atmosphere but who knows.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
I wonder if the cast photo was a tribute to the original photo and if they won't look quite the same in the finished film. Just a thought.
May you die before you want too.