Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 719869 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
That is true Michael about all the spoilers out there. It seems everything is out of Burton's hands and the studio doesn't appear to to know what they are doing in the critical aspects. For example, TB said in the latest Fangoria issue 313, "One of the Warners press releases called Dark Shadows a comedy and I've no idea where that impression came from. None whatsoever...." Its clear to me they are doing a poor job marketing this movie and vetting spoilers from being leaked.

MB I hope you are right. I am not please with some of what I have read and seen.

CB thanks for that new video. I love the Seaview Terrace tribute scene.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
MB I hope you are right. I am not please with some of what I have read and seen.

Though, of course, I'm referring to things like what we've inferred from the trailers and TV spots and from what we've read in various articles/interviews and seen in various stills. I'm not referring to anything that might be in the spoiler topic here on the forum. Spoilers like that are a whole other issue - and knowing any of that sort of info beforehand is something that can be avoided if one wants it to be.  [ghost_wink]

Actually, after I see the film, I'm going to be very curious to check out that topic to see how much of the spoiler info actually turned out to be accurate. A lot of times spoilers come from versions earlier than the final script, so it could be quite interesting if anything like that turns out to be the case...

19 days 11 hours 33 minutes 52 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
This is interesting - a cross promotion between DS and The Vampire Diaries:

Win tickets to an exclusive screening of Dark Shadows!

19 days 10 hours 41 minutes 43 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
what's most interesting about #1801 is that -

the 1st 60 second TV spot is the UK trailer for the film

- I was a bit off in that I noticed today that that shot of Barnabas' hand against the glass is not in the UK version. And heavens only knows why because it's hardly shocking and certainly not as racy as some might consider the shot of Barnabas seen between Angelque's legs, which appears in that German trailer but not in the US version.

Actually, I was way off because there are several more differences that just the shot of Barnabas' hand:

First off:

After the "Madam, I am Barnabas Collins" scene, the UK version has the "Are you stoned?" scene -

- when the US version has the "Is he for real?" scene:

Secondly (and which is only a minor thing):

Tim Burton's credit is worded differently in the UK version -

- than it is in the US version:

Who knows why?  [ghost_huh]

19 days 7 hours 23 minutes 46 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Thirdly, there are totally different final reaction shots in the "Birthing hips" scene:

In the UK version, Carolyn simply looks at Barnabas with an odd expression on her face -

- whereas in the US version she tells him that he's weird:

Fourthly:

When the hand against the glass shot is seen in the US version -
The UK version shows Barnabas and Angelique slamming against the painting -

followed by Barnabas' disgusted look when Angelique moves to kiss him:

And then after the drop from the ceiling and the smashing of the table, the UK version shows
an abbreviated version of the tongue scene:

19 days 7 hours 21 minutes 14 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
And finally (though again, something that's not all that important to us):

It's interesting that the DS logo shows the trademark symbol in the UK version -

- whereas it doesn't in the US version:

And I don't honestly think I've seen the trademark on the logo for any of the US promotional materials. Though it may have been added in the new versions of the TV spots. I'll have to pay attention the next time I see one...

And speaking of the TV spots, I haven't heard anything about any more of them running except during this week's installments of American Idol. However, I've recorded quite a few shows since then that I haven't watched, so something may show up once I finally do get around to watching them...

And as for screen captures from the Taiwanese spot, I'll be posting those in a few hours...

19 days 7 hours 19 minutes 12 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Thanks for all of the hard work, MB.  It is appreciated.

Incidentally, a new American trailer debuts this Friday.  Let us hope that we will get to see it online sometime this week. 

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
I am guessing the new trailer with Chinese subtitles and voiceover is for the Taiwan release.  Not to show off or anything, but I read Chinese and the type of characters and style of Mandarin used in the trailer are typical of Taiwan.  I suppose it might be for Singapore as well... wasn't there a Singapore website that leaked some early photos?  Or was that Brazil?  Or both?

The Chinese title, for anyone who cares, translates as "Dark-shadowed Family" or "Dark Shadows Family" (it's ambivalent; Chinese doesn't have tenses and inflections the way Indo-European languages do).

The scene with Barnabas and the hippies makes me wonder if Burton is also a fan of the late Robert Quarry Deathmaster film (about a vampire setting himself up as a hippie guru).  This movie seems to be his opportunity to offer homage to just about anything in or out of reach from the Sixties and early Seventies.

I know I'm being a sourpuss but I don't find the idea of Barn slaughtering an entire camp full of people funny.   Love means never having to say you're sorry so I won't.

cheers, G.

Offline neiljohnson

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
As always -- Thank you, Mysterious.  The screen captures are great.

Cousin Barnabas, since I am not one to shy-away from spoilers, I looked closely at the photo you warned us about on page 44 of Fangoria.  Of course I won't disclose information about the photo here, but I personally would not consider that much of a spoiler.  A predictable plot-point, maybe -- but not an important spoiler.  I can't imagine anyone looking at that photo and being shocked.  Most importantly, as you mentioned -- we don't even know the context of that photo.  Whether is occurs near the beginning, middle, or end of the movie.  We don't even know what in which time period it occurs -- 1700s or 1970.  At least, I could not tell. 

I'm not trying to get a discussion of the spoiler content of the photo started here, because I know that belongs in another thread.  I just wanted to comment that I sorta disagree with you, that the photo reveals a huge or surprising spoiler.  You're not wrong.  But, it's all a matter of perception, I suppose.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
G, maybe not the actual act, but Depp's delivery of the line was really well done. 

Cousin Barnabas, since I am not one to shy-away from spoilers... I'm not trying to get a discussion of the spoiler content of the photo started here, because I know that belongs in another thread.  I just wanted to comment that I sorta disagree with you, that the photo reveals a huge or surprising spoiler.  You're not wrong.  But, it's all a matter of perception, I suppose.

No one look except the people who know and or want to know how I discerned the context of the picture.

[spoiler]
Not only is it captioned, but the clothing is also contemporary.  Barnabas is wearing his 1972 outfit.  The trailer provided hope.  The picture seemingly does not. 

In the words of Jason McGuire, "It looks pretty dead to me."   
[/spoiler]

For me, that picture sums up the plot of the movie.  (Maybe I just care more than I ought to.)  Like I said, I hope it is out of context. Still, it's not something that should have been printed.   

And that is all I am going to say about it here...  Other than to say that I have heard from a number of people who were very disappointed to have seen it. 

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I am in total agreement with CB's position regarding said spoiler. It's shocking to me. Thanks MB for the wonderful captures.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Here are the first 5 screen caps:

Click for larger image: Capture #680

Click for larger image: Capture #718

Click for larger image: Capture #737
(There was some speculation as to whether or not she might, but here it would certainly seem as if Victoria reciprocates Barnabas' feelings.)

Click for larger image: Capture #752

Click for larger image: Capture #760

19 days 4 hours 55 minutes 7 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The next 5 screen caps:

Click for larger image: Capture #775

Click for larger image: Capture #813

Click for larger image: Capture #825

Click for larger image: Capture #867

Click for larger image: Capture #886/url]

19 days 4 hours 51 minutes 39 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The next 5 screen caps:

Click for larger image: Capture #906

Click for larger image: Capture #968

Click for larger image: Capture #994

Click for larger image: Capture #1007

Click for larger image: Capture #1026/url]

19 days 4 hours 48 minutes 40 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The last 5 screen caps:

Click for larger image: Capture #1056

Click for larger image: Capture #1093

Click for larger image: Capture #1208

Click for larger image: Capture #1230

Click for larger image: Capture #1418/url]

And the reason I included that last one was because I thought it was interesting that it directs people to the UK Web site for the film...

19 days 4 hours 43 minutes 37 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!