Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 716984 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!
« Reply #1680 on: December 05, 2011, 12:16:01 AM »
i'm sorry but speculating about the state of her marriage and personal life because you don't like her remarks about a movie is really crossing a line.

(edited by admin)
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: December 05, 2011, 12:22:07 AM »
As I said it it's speculative. However your remark is truly offensive to me.

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #1682 on: December 05, 2011, 01:14:45 AM »
I, in no way, wanted to offend anybody. I hope I'm wrong in thinking there could be trouble between HBC and TB. I hope for the best for them and their marrage.

I don't believe that HBC is stupid. I believe that she is smart enough to know what kind of impact she could make on the movie.

I haven't watched the video of the interview, I thought she said those things. Thank you for correcting me.
May you die before you want too.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: December 05, 2011, 01:33:42 AM »
Actually, any type of speculation about the state of HBC's relationship with TB violates forum guideline #7:

7. These boards are not forums for the spreading of gossip or innuendo, or the defaming of the DS actors' private lives.

I realize that no one was intentionally meaning to defame them or to stir up gossip about them, but any and all ongoing speculation regarding their private relationship and how it may or may not impact the DS film should be ceased at once. - particularly when there is nothing to back it up but pure speculation.

And as for HBC trying to sabotage the film, I believe that was anything but her intent. As I said, the things she said with regard to the film sounded quite intriguing. And she, as we all are, is entitled to her opinions about the original DS. We may certainly not agree with them, but, as I also said, HBC is hardly the first to say something like what she said. She's not even the first among the DS film's personnel as Depp, Burton and Colleen Atwood have all said similar things. And I highly doubt any of those three intended their remarks to sabotage the film, either.

158 days 3 hours 26 minutes 18 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: December 05, 2011, 02:11:35 AM »
For the record I disagree with the Board's position in this matter. This is a discussion board. As cousins here we are free to debate as to the reasons as to why HBC made the comments she made and is open to discussion and speculation. Obviously no one knows why she made those comments. I was offering my opinion as to why she may have made said comments. I think the board has overreacted here. No one here is saying for a fact that the parties had a personal disagreement. She seemed to be in an agitated frame of mind when she made the comments at hand. That is an opinion I made. Her behavior is open to discussion and speculation. However, in the spirit of the board's guidelines  I will refrain from further speculation regarding the two parties. On the other hand I expect the Board to protect cousins from offensive statements made by other cousins.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: December 05, 2011, 02:26:08 AM »
Noting and commenting on public behavior is one thing, but speculating about what goes on in private is quite another.

I ask that members not make their discussions personal, but as for the expectation that no one get offended, quite honestly, we do our best but I can't and won't ever guarantee that I will see everything written about you before you do.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: December 05, 2011, 03:32:51 AM »
Honestly, guideline #7 is in place to protect all members - those who might take offense to any gossiping/speculating about the DS personnel's private lives - and those who might take exception to someone being offended by it. And by everyone refraining from anything resembling such gossiping/speculating, everyone is protected. And none of the guidelines are meant to stifle discussion. But because of what can and does happen in unmoderated venues across the Internet, our guidelines were carefully developed, incorporating situations the admins have witnessed firsthand elsewhere on the Internet, situations addressed by the guidelines of other moderated forums and e-mail lists, and the TOS statements of sites like Yahoo and the old AOL and Prodigy services, all in an effort to prevent such situations - situations that can and do often get out of hand easily in unmoderated situations...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: December 05, 2011, 08:38:32 PM »
For the record, I for one am still excited and intrigued to see what HBC does with the role.  I've only seen a few of Helena's films.  She was wonderful in a film of the Henry James novel, Wings of a Dove, and in a Merchant-Ivory film of the E. M. Forster novel Howard's End.  I think she is very good in material with a classical melodramatic edge to it, and to my mind, that makes her admirably suited for this particular project.

But again, time will tell.  I won't have an opinion until I have seen the film.  Just saying that her participation has become one of the exciting aspects to me (I admit that I was less than enthused initially--and I foresaw her casting in this role long before anyone else I know).

G.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: December 06, 2011, 12:04:26 AM »
For me, the irony is that many of the fans who were faulting the movie before they saw it now are annoyed that HBC is dissing a show she's probably not seen in its entirety.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: December 06, 2011, 01:30:01 AM »
So if we get a Christmas (teaser) trailer, I assume we would have to have a poster shortly before...  Or am I, once again, totally wrong in figuring out the studio's marketing strategy for this film?   [santa_shocked]

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: December 06, 2011, 04:19:16 AM »
I too have seen HBC in Howard's End, which happens to be one of my all time favorite movies.  IMO her performance wasn't all that compelling as that of ET and AH. I don't know and don't care what her relationship with her spouse is although I think she doesn't sound very supportive of his love for Dark Shadows..just saying. No diss, just offering an opinion.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: December 06, 2011, 01:38:47 PM »
For the record, I for one am still excited and intrigued to see what HBC does with the role. 

Same here.  I've liked some of her work and won't have an opinion on how she does with the role of Julia until I've seen it.

I don't know why I am surprised by some of the intense reaction to HBC's comments on DS, but I am.  I've been around some of the yahoogroups and FB DS pages and plenty of fans took great exception to her feelings about the original show.  As MB pointed out, she's hardly the first to say what she did about the series; even people who worked on the show criticized it.  Jonathan Frid trashed House of Dark Shadows while it was in the movie theaters (still did a booming business in spite of his public comments).  There will always be people who don't like the show for whatever reason.  That can be said for any series. 

The movie will not be what the series was, obviously so HBC's comments aren't relevant to the movie anyway.  People will go see this movie because of Johnny Depp.  His movies usually do very well.  The genre is hot right now.  An actor's negative comments about a show that inspired the movie isn't going to be one iota of difference to anyone as to whether or not to go see the movie.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: December 06, 2011, 05:12:21 PM »
KLS is saying on her own FB page that the conversations she and Lara Parker had with HBC on the set of the movie did not reflect anything like what was said in this posted interview. 

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: December 06, 2011, 06:50:20 PM »
Just as people were putting down the new movie before it had a chance and criticizing the casting of HBC before seeing what she even did with the role.

Maybe so. I just don't understand why she would put the original show down before the movie even has a chance.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: December 06, 2011, 09:20:28 PM »
KLS is saying on her own FB page that the conversations she and Lara Parker had with HBC on the set of the movie did not reflect anything like what was said in this posted interview. 

Now this interests me.  I was really wondering if either she or Lara would comment on this.  And, now I really want to know where the happy medium lies.