Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 719643 times)

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
I had not considered this before but, hmm, could be.

Welcome back!

I personally beleive they made Carolyn younger is if the series becomes a franchise then then they can use storylines as she grows up.  Also do we know if the cast also signed contracts for anymore future movies???

Offline neiljohnson

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Does anyone care to speculate on a sequel to the film?  It might be fun.

It seems Burton and Depp have simplified the details of the Barnabas story in order to fit it into a two-hor movie.  And from what I've read here on the board, most of us seem okay with that.   However, assuming a sequel will include Quentin -- that story will be much more difficult to simplify.  In my opinion, the Quentin/werewolf storyline was a much more complicated and layered tale than the original Barnabas/vampire story. 

As we all know, the Quentin story really begain with Quentin's ghost and Chris Jennings.  Then we went back-in-time to reveal that Quentin had also been a werewolf.  Quentin wasn't even a major character in his own storyline until months into the plot.   Although it was a wonderful time for the show (perhaps the best, in my opinon), it certainly wasn't a very linear story arc.  I think it would be almost impossible to make a movie out of that, unless the plot is changed significantly.  I believe, somehow, Quentin (the real Quentin, not his ghost) is going to have to show-up at the beginning of the movie (sequel) and go from there.  Also -- will it be possible to tell Quentin's tale without going back-in-time?  They seem to have eliminated that from the first film through flashbacks.  Any ideas on how Depp and Burton would interpret the Quentin plot for a sequel?

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I would hate to see them do away with the Haunting of Collinwood.  That, by far, is my favorite present-day storyline.  I'd hope that they'd stick with the haunting, and then, somehow, during the film, Quentin would become human, through supernatural forces, and the family would all have to deal with that.  It may be too much to tie in the werewolf story, but it's not impossible. 

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Chloe Grace Moretz Talks TEXAS KILLING FIELDS, DARK SHADOWS, EMILY THE STRANGE and More

It's interesting how shooting the film seems to have very much been a collaborative effort with the actors suggesting things that might not have even been in the script. Which also could mean that even if someone were to get ahold of the script, some things in the film could be different.

And in this one Chloe has more of a generalized remark rather than a specific one about DS:

Chloë Moretz on Texas Killing Fields, Hugo and Why Audrey Hepburn is Her Idol
We catch up with the young actress for a chat about her latest film -- and what draws her to her roles.

209 days 11 hours 26 minutes 28 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I am certainly hoping for a sequel(s). On the other hand it took what 3-4 years for one script to be written. Then you would have to deal with Johnny's insane schedule. I don't know if JD will even do a sequel without TB so you may also have to work around TB's  packed schedule.  If the actors signed on for sequels that would answer this question.

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
If they do make a sequel, and if it does happen to involve Quentin, I don't think the complexity of the Quentin story in the original series would pose any problem.  They wouldn't need to rehash the whole original plot, only the very basic elements of the original Quentin (what kind of character he was, the fact he was a werewolf) and hopefully haunting of Collinwood and Quentin's descendants.  There are an infinite number of possible ways they could make an new story completely true to the spirit of the original, for a self-contained two-hour movie.  (Although, my hopes are for this movie to inspire a new TV series--hopefully on something like HBO or AMC, where I find the quality (writing, directing, acting, etc.) to be of much higher quality than on the broadcast networks.)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
the haunting of collinwood and 1897 although connected are two totally different storylines with different casts of characters. still one doesn't really make sense without the other.

and 1897 was so colossal and unwieldy i'm not sure it could ever be worked into a two hour timeframe.

but if a sequel does end up being produced and it features quentin i think we can count depp out. he doesn't strike me as the kind of actor who'd sign up to play second banana to another male lead.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Jonathan Frid released an update video where he briefly talks about the new movie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LKWM8u6d48&feature=youtu.be

Minus a sequel a new TV series does intrigue me. But let's hope for a sequel and if not a new TV series with a new cast-DS will never die.

David

[candle_in_skull_2]

Christopher Lee plays Bill Malloy, according to imdb.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The Hermes panel at NYCC is supposed to be starting in about 10 minutes. I wonder if there will be tweets from it like there were from the San Diego panel...

208 days 10 hours 52 minutes 38 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Apparently several tweeters will be in attendance:

News_on_Shuffle News On Shuffle
In line for the Dark Shadows panel! #NYCC #LetsDoThis
43 minutes ago

DifficultDiva D. Robinson
In line for the Dark Shadows panel. Missed the Buffy/Angel and Justice League.
35 minutes ago

peterlangcrime Peter Michael Lang
Channeling my inner Willie Loomis while waiting in line for Dark Shadows panel at #NYCC
31 minutes ago

DailymotionUSA Dailymotion USA
At #nycc and the #DarkShadows panel incl. news on the Tim Burton/ Johnny Depp film is about to begin. http://dai.ly/pNmhEu
1 minute ago

So, IF there are any "surprises," chances are someone will tweet about them...

Also:

VIP_MovieSnob VIP Movie Snob
Johnny Depp to Play a Vampire: Johnny Depp hits the big screen as a vampire in 2012. Not to worry – he won’t be ... http://bit.ly/pQ5X5H
23 minutes ago

208 days 10 hours 44 minutes 7 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
So far not a peep out of anyone using the #darkshadows or #nycc hashtags  - or even just mentioning DS...

(Though Buffy fans are falling all over themselves with excitement at having met James Marsters and Eliza Dushku.)

208 days 10 hours 12 minutes 59 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Well, there wasn't a word about anything regarding the panel - not even to sum up if it was great of if it stunk. So, it should be interesting to see what any online reports might say...

The one interesting tweet regarding the film was this:

girlalex8719 Alex
Whenever I read about Johnny Depp speaking about #DarkShadows, it makes me shiver in anticipation. You can hear how into it he is.
45 minutes ago

And I do have to agree...

208 days 9 hours 26 minutes 49 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Well, any theories that the "surprises" revealed at the NYCC panel were so exciting that people passed out from the excitement and that's why there weren't any tweets about the content of the panel would appear to be wrong.  [hall2_wink]  I've checked the four accounts of the people who said they were attending the panel (just to make sure they didn't tweet something that didn't mention DS specifically, like Depp or whatever), and while none of them has said a thing about it, they have been tweeting about many other things since the Hermes panel ended. So, apparently they weren't all that surprised by what they might have seen/heard...

208 days 8 hours 59 minutes 6 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Welcome back!

THanks so much Nancy! It's good to be back.   I hope everyone else is glad to see me! :) Love yall!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/