Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 717163 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I think it's really interesting how they were able to blend in elements of Seaview Terrace, Lyndhurst, and Greystone into the new Collinwood.  The basic shape of the exterior is inspired by Seaview Terrace, with gothic elements and stone texture reminiscent of Lyndhurst and Greystone.

I love the new Collinwood. But that's probably no surprise considering I created an avatar featuring all the Collinwood sequences from the TV trailer:

(Though I noticed yesterday that there's a sequence in the first trailer that isn't in the TV trailer, so I just may have to redo the avatar to include it as well.  [snow_wink])

And the grand foyer, looking toward the staircase, is very much like the staircase of Greystone as it was dressed for the Old House (even including a big window at the intermediate landing, where Greystone actually has a door).

Yes, the long shots of the foyer look amazing. And people weren't exaggerating when they described that set as huge. No wonder the only stage that could fit it was Pinewood's biggest stage.

50 days 3 hours 19 minutes 23 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
It's looking more and more like she's going to be a big draw for the film.

true. she's in the trailer more than anyone besides depp and green. definitely marketed towards the teen audience.

but she's just acting like the stereotypical sullen teenager. hopfully she does more in the movie besides just slam doors and crack wise.

speaking of depp and green although this has been proposed as a true "ensemble" piece the trailer is very much edited to make the two of them look like the film's main focus.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
For some reason I feel like Carolyn will have a big part in the film, in some way, shape, or form. It's just a feeling I have but I think that something she does will probably create a huge plot twist within the film's story. There's just been so much focus on her character and Moretz as an actress, she's being mentioned more and doing more press, it seems to me. Hopefully whatever the plot twist is, if my suspicions are correct, will be something incredibly shocking. Maybe she's working for Angelique and her family doesn't know?
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
One thing that I hadn't noticed before, because it goes by so very fast, is when Angelique does that flip of her head:  she looks like she'd been shattered and pieced back together, even with a few stitches here and there.

I'm really loving the production design, and I think it's really interesting how they were able to blend in elements of Seaview Terrace, Lyndhurst, and Greystone into the new Collinwood.

The head flip is so creepy.  I had noticed that she doesn't look "all together," but I thought it was just me.  I am glad someone else is on the same page.

And, yes, I LOVE Collinwood.  It is beautiful, everything a fan could ask for, imo. 

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
As for me I think that Collinwood is beautiful and a great nod to Seaview Terrace. I visited the mansion in 2010 and it was an amazing experience.  Yes it only has one tower on the new Collinwood; however, again everything doesn't have to be the same. 

I love the nods to DS I have caught so far with "THE COLLINSPORT STAR" and did anyone notice in this picture with Angelique that it appears to have the infamous afghan makes an appearance  (look to the left) and hopefully several! ;)  Sorry if someone else has pointed this out.  I did read it if they did.

As for Green I love her. I love the part when she spins her neck around. Barnabas and Angelique were a big part of Dark Shadows; however, I still think this will be an ensemble piece.  Again, a two minute trailer cannot truly portray what all will be in the movie.

Brandon Collins it seems according to several different articles that everyone apparently has secrets at Collinwood but I like you feel that Carolyn will play a big part.  I am not for sure what; although I have a couple theories.  I am a reformed spoilerholic and don't want to know anything about the movie until it's over with.  It just makes movies, television shows and books (for me) so much better to be spoiler free.

Eternally optimistic I continue to be!!

Tae
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
I do love the look of Collinwood as well.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
I looked it up on IMDB tonight and discovered that Naomi and Joshua will be played by different actors than the modern family - an interesting difference from previous versions.
Josette

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
Me too.  I was hoping that the production would create its own Collinwood and not duplicate Seaview.  The new DS version should have its own look and building a house that is a nod to the original Collinwood works for me just fine.

I do love the look of Collinwood as well.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Wow - looks like now we have to hunt down a copy of W.  [snow_wink]

Thanks so much for the link, Cousin_Barnabas.  [snow_smiley]

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I'm still holding out hope.  Actually listening to Seth's voice, and looking at his face, when he says that it does contain dark and gothic elements, is more encouraging than just reading his words.  However, it's kind of funny when he says the trailer "kind of confused a couple people" (emphasis added).  A COUPLE people?!?

And I'm sorry, but the rationalization that the movie had to be made "funny" in order to bring more people into it just doesn't scan.  So people won't go see a movie that isn't funny???

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I'm willing to give Grahame-Smith the benefit of the doubt that he's being truthful unless/until I learn for myself otherwise.

49 days 4 hours 26 minutes 37 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
And I'm sorry, but the rationalization that the movie had to be made "funny" in order to bring more people into it just doesn't scan.  So people won't go see a movie that isn't funny???

Probably what they really should be saying is that they added humor to make DS different from the Twilight films (which are pretty much deadly serious) because I have a pretty good suspicion that that was at least a part of their motivation.

49 days 4 hours 18 minutes 27 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Probably what they really should be saying is that they added humor to make DS different from the Twilight films (which are pretty much deadly serious)

Don't you mean deadly, period?  [snow_tongue]