Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 716591 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
A photo for those who may have missed the show:

2012 People's Choice Awards - Favorite Movie Star Under 25 - Chloe Moretz

119 days 23 hours 0 minutes 48 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I just received a Google Alert that a book entitled Dark Shadows the Art of the Film is being published by Titan and released on May 8th. Presumably the book is about the DS film, though as of yet Amazon has very little info about it:

Dark Shadows the Art of the Film

Though Amazon.uk at least has a price:

Dark Shadows the Art of the Film

119 days 22 hours 32 minutes 22 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Did a bit more research and came up with this on the DS News blog:

Dark Shadows: The Art of the Film Advance Information

Sounds quite interesting. Certainly a lot more interesting than a certain other book set to come out.  [snow_wink]

119 days 22 hours 25 minutes 21 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Speaking of which, that book has had its cover stripped of the 2012 cast photo...   [snow_lipsrsealed]

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Shadows-Kathryn-Leigh-Scott/dp/0938817663/ref=sr_1_11?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1326347491&sr=1-11 

I wonder what happened with that...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Interesting. I haven't been paying attention to that book (but then, with the forum's upgrade, I haven't been paying attention to too much other than the upgrade for the past couple weeks). But like I said several weeks back, quite often the cover that's first featured on Amazon ends up not even being the final cover. And the reason the film's cast photo seems to be gone could be as simple as PomPress not even having the rights to it. If so, it wouldn't be the first time a certain someone involved with the book jumped the gun without having everything ironed out...

119 days 21 hours 57 minutes 37 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
That is what I was thinking.  A huge part of the sell for that book would be the image of Depp, HBC, Pfeiffer, and Moretz on the cover though.  I mean, these are the people the new audiences will know.  So, I wonder if rights will be granted.  If not, it really makes one wonder what the content inside will look like. 

Right now it promises:

Dark Shadows: Return to Collinwood presents a look back at four decades
of the successful spooky soap opera that made sympathetic vampire Barnabas Collins a pop culture phenomenon and prompted the big-budget, big-screen Warner Bros. revival starring longtime fan Johnny Depp, directed by Tim Burton, that premieres May 11, 2012. The large format book includes color photographs and behind-the-scenes anecdotes from Kathryn Leigh Scott and three other original cast members who filmed cameo roles with Johnny Depp, Helene Bonham-Carter and Michelle Pfeiffer in the new Gothic epic. With the ongoing fascination for all things vampiric, this book about the making of the new film and the history of the original series will be an enticing volume for new and old fans alike.

This book also features hundreds of exclusive photographs of Dark Shadows then and now, along with behind-the-scenes information, production materials and unique archival elements that provide context for the Depp/Burton Warner Bros. film.

So, with the official movie book being released, I wonder if this unofficial one will be granted rights to publish everything it promises. 

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
It just now hit me that there is a BIG problem with the cast photo...  Look out the windows.  It's daylight!  What is Barnabas doing in Collinwood in the middle of the day?

Of course, he could have been "cured", but it seems odd to me that they wouldn't catch something like that, assuming that the cast is supposed to be in character and that Barnabas's character is a vampire.  Maybe they just wanted to show off the foggy backdrops or the glorious Collinwood set in "daylight", but it's an odd decision if intentional.

(And this is how you know that it's been too long since they've given us anything new.   We have time to analyze the publicity to a point that we find flaws in it.  [snow_bigglass])

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
I hope KLS's copy-editor learns the correct spelling of Helena's name before the book actually goes to press.

Interesting point, Cousin, about the lighting chosen for that photo.  The 1967 original had very much a nighttime feel to it, didn't it?  And I'm sure that this photo was taken on an indoor stage-set, not in some real mansion.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Burton is always panicking - that's who he is. But this time around I really love what he's saying about DS - particularly about how DS "has a weird sense of heightened melodrama," "it was a very hermetically sealed world" that's "mainly the internal family melodrama, " and how  "it had a weird seriousness, but it was funny in a way that wasn't really funny." If those are the things he's going for with the film, then I think he's going to get it right.

Thanks for the link, jimbo.  [snow_smiley]

119 days 10 hours 33 minutes 48 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
It just now hit me that there is a BIG problem with the cast photo...  Look out the windows.  It's daylight!  What is Barnabas doing in Collinwood in the middle of the day?

Actually, shouldn't it be obvious that the cast photo was taken at an instant when lightning was flashing? After all, lightning is always flashing outside at Collinwood.  [snow_wink]  (Though the weird thing is that it's rarely accompanied by rain!  [snow_laugh])

119 days 10 hours 30 minutes 43 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Perhaps this upcoming issue of Entertainment Weekly will have some information about the new DS movie.

If similar issues in the past are any indication, it would seem quite likely that DS will be featured. Although, it's anyone's guess if we'll learn anything new or get anything new in the photo department. Publicity material on the film certainly appears to be locked up better than a medieval chastity belt!

And EW might want to rethink including The Amazing Spider-Man as one of "the most anticipated movies in years." The results of MTV's recent poll wouldn't indicate so.  [snow_wink]  (Though it's unseemly to gloat.)

119 days 10 hours 12 minutes 37 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
DarkShadowsNews tweeted that DS is featured in the new EW and there is a new photo of Depp and Michelle P. Since this was a recent interview it doesn't seem we are close to seeing a trailer(?)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Let's hope it's a photo of Barnabas and Elizabeth and not the actors as themselves.  [snow_wink]

As for the trailer, considering some of the things Burton says in the MTV interview, my theory concerning the delay might be right. But who knows?  [idontknow]  But even if it is, I still think a trailer could show up at any time...

119 days 9 hours 39 minutes 0 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
It's a shot of them in character.
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online