Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 719514 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Just received this on my phone:

Warner Bros Pictures ‏ @wbpictures
Send a #DarkShadows postcard and reveal the Collins family curse! http://bit.ly/II4Cim
Retweeted by gkfilms
9:17 PM - 1 May 12

8 days 21 hours 29 minutes 34 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
If HODS could have a sequel with the whole family offed save Liz then I am sure that they could do a sequel to DS although I have no idea what happens but with all the speculation one can think of a few scenarios.

I am just glad that it has been mentioned that they would love to do sequels if this movie does well.  I would take another movie, a triology, four movies, five.  I think with the source material they could easily do four.

Did I mention I am exited!!!!  Cannot wait till the 11Th!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Although, Taylor, I'm not sure that NoDS would be considered a sequel at all in a story sense, since there's no connection whatsoever between it and HoDS (save for a fleeting reference to the passing of "Mrs. Stoddard" that has no bearing on the plot).

It was quite interesting to see that Helena is on the cover of the May 1 issue of American Way magazine (American Airlines). There's a very delightful interview article about her, and includes a brief mention of the DS movie. Alas, no photo of her as Julia, although there is a caricature of Julia that also includes Barnabas, Angie, and Liz. What I absolutely loved about this article was that it completely avoided the "f" and "c" words in reference to the movie and the original series!!! They only refer to the movie as "a reimagining of the supernatural daytime soap opera". Finally some respect!  [ghost_grin] I'm sure this article was the result of some determined work on the part of the Warner Bros. publicity dept. This will bring the movie to the attention of lots of people flying American throughout the month. Quite a coup!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The more I see of the film, the more I'm coming to think of it as dramedy (because it has both elements of drama and comedy) and I'm surprised no one in the media seems to be describing it as such.

8 days 13 hours 11 minutes 7 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I was just catching up on the Ellen shows I've recorded, and yesterday she announced that Depp will be her guest on the 8th. And that means he'll be on both her show and Jimmy Kimmel on the same day. Though technically some of us won't see him on JK until the 9th.  [ghost_wink]

8 days 7 hours 51 minutes 12 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
We now have casting for Laura (not named as such), Sheriff Patterson (not named as such), youngest Barnabas, young Angelique, and Vicki's parents. 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1077368/fullcredits#cast

And the film is listed as being complete.  No mention of Art Wallace...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Interesting. Who knew that we'd see David's mother? Or that Victoria would even have parents? (Well, obviously she would have to have parents - but you know what I mean.  [ghost_wink])

As for Art Wallace, I can't imagine that he won't be credited in the actual film.

Thanks for the info, Cousin_Barnabas.  [ghost_smiley]

And I see that the film is up to #18 on this week's MOVIEmeter...

8 days 6 hours 50 minutes 57 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Well I wouldn't consider NODS a sequel to HODS.  Although maybe it could be seen that way. If I were Liz I think I would have had heart failure by the end of all that;however, if NODS was a sequel it would seem that David would have inherited Collinwood.  And the only reason NODS came about is because JF refused to reprise his role as Barnabas. We see B at the end turn into a bat and fly away.  One has to wonder what a sequel to HODS would have been like considering only David and Liz were left.  Perhaps Cousin Quentin and his wife Tracey would have moved in? Only four people to bite??? LOL

I always wished someone like Sam Hall would have remembered what the idea was going to be for the third movie since Dan was contracted for a third.  I know he ultimately was through with DS but it seems there would have had to been some treatment or outline for a proposed third movie somewhere or at least a thought of what they might want to do in a third installment?  Alas....we will never know....

I have thought DS was a Dramedy all along. My fellow moderator on my FB group said this months ago when Jim Pierson in an interview keep saying something like it's a mix between comedy and drama and she kept yelling at the interview; it's called a DRAMEDY! [ghost_wink]

Today I was just curious to go to one of the DS FB group and see  some of the stuff that is being said.  Sweet Baby Jesus there are some terrifying people in this fandom.  A couple of my friends are members; however, I don't think I could deal with the cynicism on that group.  My friend Uncle G (that is my name for him--he is my DS Uncle)  was trying to get the point across that if the fans go see the movie it will help perpetuate DS.  He has more patience than me.  God Bless him.....

WOW.....just wow.....I had no idea some people were so clueless, rude, hateful, and so downright scary that they would like to kill Johnny and Tim for this travesty they have created. 

I know I say it often but I am so thankful, happy and elated that we have this place to share ideas, opinions, discussions and act like adults and not children.  Just wow. [scratch] These people were just CUCKOO CUCKOO for Coco Puffs...

That is all I have to say amen....

Oh wow! LAURA...did I hear that right. Thank you to the movie GODS! I adore Laura Collins. Perhaps she could be part of a setup for a sequel???   Is IMDB.com always right?? 

I was wondering if the old Victoria plotline would be utilized or not. Hmm...interesting!! :)

Well no that isn't---since this day is coming to a close it's almost 8 days until we RETURN TO COLLINWOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I cannot wait to take this ride with Johnny and Tim.....

If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I agree, Taeylor.  It's pretty scary out there sometimes. 

As for Laura, she is not named as Laura on IMDB, just as "David's Mother."  But, if we are assuming that the familial relationships are to remain the same, they may go with Laura in the script when she is referenced. 

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
We now have casting for Laura (not named as such), Sheriff Patterson (not named as such), youngest Barnabas, young Angelique, and Vicki's parents. 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1077368/fullcredits#cast

And the film is listed as being complete.  No mention of Art Wallace...

Thank you Cousin!  I haven't been checking the cast list lately, but I had noticed awhile back that Thomas McDonell ("Young Barnabas") had been kicked off the cast list and I was wondering if it was just an oversight or if he'd been cut from the film.  I think I spoke about this privately to a fellow forum member.  And then I forgot about it  [ghost_rolleyes]  But since this looks like a finished list now, and he's not listed, I guess he was indeed cut from the film, and if there has been mention of that here, I apologize as I must've missed it.  Instead, there is a Justin Tracy as "Young Barnabas - aged 6".  (Edited to add- now that I think about it, this may have been on the Depp board I'm on- someone saw an advance screening of DS and insisted that there was no such character as a ~20-ish Barnabas, just a little kid.  I had been puzzled to hear that, but I guess they decided not to include that time period.)

Victoria's parents are a little puzzling, but since there is a "Young Victoria" it may be a flashback scene, and maybe Vicki was still orphaned but just not as a newborn.  Or maybe she's not an orphan at all! 

I was very excited for about 5 seconds when I saw the name Michael Shannon on the list, as "Board Member 2."  For a moment I thought this was the Michael Shannon who was the star of a terrific film last year, Take Shelter, and I think he's also on Boardwalk Empire, though I don't watch that show.  But alas, false alarm, as this is a different Michael Shannon.  The Michael Shannon I was thinking of probably wouldn't have been in such a small role, anyway, but I couldn't help but hope!

It's too bad that Art Wallace isn't mentioned.  Forgive me if I am unaware of the intricacies of that, but has he been undercredited all along?  I see that he was given credit for the '91 series.  Was there any kind of bad blood or anything after that?  Should Jim Pierson have seen to it that he got credited? 

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Well I wouldn't consider NODS a sequel to HODS.

OK, Taeylor, I understand you now. You were talking about the original idea to have a sequel involving Barnabas, and I had a senior moment and totally forgot about that plan . Duh!   [ghost_wacko]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
It's too bad that Art Wallace isn't mentioned.  Forgive me if I am unaware of the intricacies of that, but has he been undercredited all along?

Yup.

I see that he was given credit for the '91 series.  Was there any kind of bad blood or anything after that?  Should Jim Pierson have seen to it that he got credited?

Let's just say DC and Wallace were not the best of friends, and even less so after Wallace sued DC in the mid-'70s for a share of the profits from the DS merchandizing and Wallace won. And if I understand the settlement of that suit correctly, Wallace must be credited anytime any of the DS characters up through Barnabas are used in any sort of new DS movie/TV series, which is why he was credited in the '91 DS. Though as we've said before, it's anyone's guess who is maintaining the IMDb listing for the film...

8 days 5 hours 3 minutes 2 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I haven't been checking the cast list lately, but I had noticed awhile back that Thomas McDonell ("Young Barnabas") had been kicked off the cast list and I was wondering if it was just an oversight or if he'd been cut from the film.

So are you telling me that the young Barnabas that says "My love" to Josette in the trailer is not Thomas? He looks too young to be Johnny (even with makeup), plus the shape of his face makes him look like he isn't really Johnny, just someone with a very similar appearance.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
No, that's Depp.  [ghost_smiley]

If it does turn out that all of Thomas McDonell's part ended up on the cutting room floor, hopefully it will at least turn up in some fashion on the DVD/Blu-ray...

8 days 4 hours 52 minutes 4 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile