Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 717442 times)

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
Here's another take on the new DS movie, the original series and the whole shebang . . it's not overly flattering, just be warned.

http://www.vanityfear.com/journal/tag/jonathan-frid

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
 [pointing-up]

To that article's author: We DO exist!  [snow_grin]

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
OUCH! that's brutal...

still i no longer think it's worth getting upset or defensive about this type of thing. just because we like this show doesn't mean everyone has to.

but this one's harsh. [snow_shocked]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The writer is way off base when it comes to his theories about the daytime show. He would actually do well to watch it before he jumps to conclusions about it. But that being said, I actually agree with a lot of what he's written, particularly the stuff about hoDS. It's not a secret that I'm not a fan of the film, though I'm not the only one who has said things similar to what's written - just check out several of the hoDS topics here on the forum for evidence of that. And actually, the article seems to prove one of the things I've often said and that is that many fans of the daytime show can't help but fill in a whole lot of what's missing in hoDS because they know it from the daytime show so they're much more inclined to overlook faults in the film, but someone who's never seen the daytime show isn't going to be able to fill in and that makes them more objective than many DS fans, and so the faults are often quite glaring to them, as they are with the person writing the article. (Though, of course, the fault for a lot of the flaws with hoDS can be laid right at the feet of DC and his desire to emphasize the blood and gore by cutting so much of the scripted material that would have fleshed out the characters and filled in the gaps. But that's a whole other discussion and one not suited for this topic.)

And another thing I agree with is that the majority of the people who will go to see the new DS film probably won't have previous knowledge of the original - though thanks heavens for that because there's no way the film can become a hit if only DS fans go. Most of the people who'll see it will go because they're Depp fans or Burton fans or fans of the vampire/horror genre in general. Though the article overlooks the real possibility that seeing the film might make them check out the original. But then that possibility wouldn't fit in with his attitude because he doesn't seem to have any inclination to check out the original. In fact, he seems to think the original is somehow beneath him. And that's too bad because he doesn't know what he's missing...

91 days 8 hours 20 minutes 37 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
If there is no trailer with today's WB release, we can assume that, if the trailer is attached to a WB project, it won't come out until March 30.  I searched Twitter for mentions of the trailer and I found nothing.  (Though I did find someone with my DSF username!  Small world!)

Then again, the studio could opt to move it to a non-Warners release.  Hunger Games would be a great choice.  It's sure to be a hit and it's from a smaller studio, so WB might opt to place DS with that film.  It comes out a week before the Warners release, so it's a little better.

On the other hand, they could choose to release a trailer without tying it to an actual film, and that would make me happy. 

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
There is going to be a WB press release today?

Just another reference to the new movie with KLS upcoming book. http://books.usatoday.com/bookbuzz/post/2012-02-09/dark-shadows-returns-in-book-and-movie/623644/1

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
By "WB release" I believe Cousin_Barnabas was referring to Warner Brothers releasing/distributing Journey 2: The Mysterious Island in theaters today.  [snow_smiley]  Unfortunately, though, I doubt a DS trailer has been released with it because it seems like we learn about every major film's trailer at least a day or two before it's shown in theaters. Sometimes it's only a small portion of the trailer that gets posted somewhere with the entire trailer to follow on Friday, while other times it's the entire trailer right from the start. But there hasn't been a peep anywhere about any DS trailer.

I'm honestly beginning to believe that madscntst's suspicions could be right and that DS might follow a similar marketing plan to Sweeny Todd, which would mean no trailer until March...

90 days 11 hours 31 minutes 4 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport
Has anyone seen this new image, posted on the Collinsport Historical Society?
http://www.collinsporthistoricalsociety.com/

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Even though it seems to be popping up on various entertainment/horror Web sites, I hadn't seen it yet. Thanks so much for providing the link, Sara.  [snow_smiley]

Given the timing of the event and how that poster indicates that DS opens in France on May 9th, at first I wondered if perhaps DS might not be having its French premiere as part of the exhibition, but it doesn't seem that way. Or at least nothing that I've been able to come across regarding the event says that. It seems as if it's simply another showcase for the Museum of Modern Art's Tim Burton exhibition that has been making the rounds for months now. However, the La Cinémathèque française Web site does say that the exhibition "provides an opportunity to see Burton's work from past to present and to reveal elements stemming from his latest films, Dark Shadows and Frankenweenie, which will be released in 2012" - so apparently something related to DS will be featured.

I do wonder, though, if that shot of Depp's Barn might be featured in the French poster for the film. I suppose only time will tell...

90 days 8 hours 40 minutes 7 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I hope that is not the image they will use for the french poster or for any other poster. I does nothing for me and is not truly creative imo. Thanks for posting it cousin Sara Monster.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I don't know if I'd like to see it used either, but apparently La Cinémathèque française believes in it or else they wouldn't have used it for one of their posters to promote Burton's exhibition.  [snow_wink]

Of course we also have to keep in mind that what may seem creative and a good way to promote the Burton exhibition and/or the DS film in France wouldn't necessarily be the same here in the US or in other countries. Other countries have different creative sensibilities, so what might work successfully in France wouldn't necessarily work in Spain or the US or Japan. I mean, just look at some of the foreign posters developed for the two original DS films. The Japanese poster with the multiple aged Barnabas heads seems particularly bizarre...

90 days 7 hours 40 minutes 23 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
The French poster feels as if it is for a sequel to V is for Vendetta.

I agree however that this may be rockin' for French sensibilities. 

As for the US poster--who knows?

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The French poster feels as if it is for a sequel to V is for Vendetta.

If only Depp had kept his facial hair, it would have been perfect.  [snow_wink]
(And I love V For Vendetta. In fact the 2-disc DVD is a treasured part of my DVD collection. It would be quite interesting to see them attempt a sequel.)

Here's an article masquerading as being about The Woman in Black, or so the title would imply, but it's actually more about why we love horror - and it also mentions the DS film:

THE WOMAN IN BLACK: WHY WE ALL LOVE A LITTLE HORROR

90 days 3 hours 28 minutes 37 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
I didn't see this anywhere else, but wanted to let you know that DS will be spotlighted in the next issue of Famous Monsters of Filmland #261.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
That's a great painting.

G.