Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 716750 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
OK, now I'm actually liking the latest Helena/Julia ensemble/hair. The clipped version made me think she was wearing a French peasant blouse.  This is a very new look for Julia, and I wonder what Grayson would have thought of the hint of cleavage.  But, it works.

Thanks for posting that link.  I walked right by the new issue of Vanity just a few minutes ago but didn't bother to look at the actual "article" as I presumed it was just the photos and that they were as seen in the scans.

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
As for the Fangoria article, which I haven't read, I'm afraid I am at the point now where I take anything said by Seth Graham-whatever with one mighty handful of salt.  It's nice to know that he tells of his opinions.  It could ALL be spin and after all, spin is a creative writer's stock in trade.

I agree with michael that it seems strange that Bella Heathcote hasn't been featured at all in the pub stills that have been released. But then, what has been handed out to date has been a tiny thimbleful compared to what one would normally have seen at this point in the pub campaign for a project of this cachet.

As dear Grayson was wont to say--who can figure anything.

G.

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
Reading KLS interview, I had a problem with this reply to a question:

And I was hoping that we would have cameos in the film. Normally that doesn’t happen. “Star Trek” is an example where it DID work. But in most of them [remakes] it’s doesn’t. Nobody wants to acknowledge the original cast, they just don’t.

I don't think that rings true at all. Most of the time with remakes they try to throw a cameo in there of the original cast. It's an easy bone to throw to the original fans and might put more butts in the theater. Of course all the examples I can think of are horror movies, so.... maybe other genres don't?

Online Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Buddy Ebsen did a bit in the Beverly Hillbillies movie. Ray Walston turned up in My Favorite Martian. Most of the original Bradys turned up in the Brady Bunch movie, though not all of them were in the final cut. But Barbara Feldon turned down a cameo in Get Smart. While June Lockhart, Angela Cartwright, Mark Goddard and Marrta Kristen made appearances in Lost in Space, Jonathan Harris refused to appear.  So it may depend on the project and what they're asked to do.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I don't think that rings true at all. Most of the time with remakes they try to throw a cameo in there of the original cast.

I thought that comment was off as well, so you're not alone.

What I really hope is that she doesn't write about Josette in the same manner as she speaks about her in the interview. Though it wouldn't surprise me if she does because, given the PomPress track record, I have no faith whatsoever that the new book will be completely error free. And that's sad.  [snow_sad]

I'm afraid I am at the point now where I take anything said by Seth Graham-whatever with one mighty handful of salt.  It's nice to know that he tells of his opinions.  It could ALL be spin

Though it could also all be sincere. We shall discover which before too long.  [snow_wink]

69 days 6 hours 44 minutes 16 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
But the last time I bought one was issue #239 back in January of '05 when they had an article about the '04 pilot - and back then the prices was already $7.99 - and that was 7 years ago.

I am feeling so old...   [snow_strange]

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
there was a moment in the early 1970's when a nostalgia for the 1930's and 1940's took over fashion.

in some ways it was a reaction against the "space age" and "futuristic" mod styles of the 1960's. it was a look started in part by poor downtown girls who literally picked up vintage frocks at thrift stores because they were cheap. it was also a favorite of impoverished drag queens at the time. check out andy warhol's "transvestite trinity" jackie curtis, holly woodlawn and candy darling to see the look. in fact the shot of HBC, with her frizzy red hair, is very much channeling curtis.

as generally happens with "street style" it eventually percolated up to the haute couture runways of designers like yves saint laurent. again look at his work from the period.

this feeling is what atwood appears to be going for here with julia. i didn't see it in the earlier picture. it's quite fabulous.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Online Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
So is the guy who wrote this Gordon or the whale?
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
pretty weak as far as snark goes.

i've read MUCH more venomous commentary.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I just thought it was weird he thought DS was British...

Anyway, something official from Warner Bros.

This is the official site of Dark Shadows (Spain)...

http://www.sombrastenebrosas-es.com

I don't know if it works in Spain, but it doesn't work here.  Warner Bros. (Spain) also Tweeted this Facebook page, so I'm guessing it's official...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sombras-Tenebrosas-Dark-Shadows/168432056606809?sk=wall

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Interesting that Spain has both yet we have neither. Though perhaps it's a sign that we will soon.

We can dream, anyway.  [snow_wink]

68 days 23 hours 34 minutes 20 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Empire Predicts Dark Shadows Movie Box Office

The Empire article's predictions are pretty interesting, but even more so are Manning's comments. In the last couple paragraphs, the way he sums up the problem of the 2012 Dark Shadows film is perfect.
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
As per usual I'm behind in checking my e-mail so I didn't discover until this morning that horrorhound.com sent me an e-mail on Thursday afternoon to say that my copy of issue #34 has already shipped (I ordered it through them because I knew I wasn't going to have a chance in the next few weeks to go to the only store I know where they sell it). My mail already came today and no magazine, but I'm sure it will arrive next week, which should also mean it will probably be in stores next week.

On the other hand, and contrary to what KLS predicted in her latest interview, there hasn't been a peep out of Amazon about shipping Return to Collinwood early. At least not yet...

68 days 11 hours 5 minutes 43 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The latest MTV column:

'Dark Shadows' Photos Reveal Faithful Fashion
Vanity Fair character portraits prove Tim Burton is sticking with the aesthetic of the '60s series.

And this column jokes that a possible reason there's no DS trailer is because they want to rename the film:

Your X-Rated Weekend at the Movies
(Scroll down to the "Being Flynn:" section near the bottom.)

68 days 10 hours 41 minutes 52 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!