Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 717497 times)

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
In fact, I can't wait to see more of Collinwood, period - both inside and out.

Yes, all we know about the exterior is the ground floor.  (And we don't even know for sure if that's the entire expanse of the ground floor or not, nor is there any indication of how far back the house might extend.)  I have a hunch it's going to include basic elements of both Seaview and Lyndhurst, since that's what the ground floor seems to have--it somewhat resembles the basic shape of Seaview as viewed from the southeast, but has the gothic style (and stone facade) of Lyndhurst.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
I really, really.....really don't like the foyer. The other two photos I like ok. I can get over most anything if the story is good. Did I say I don't like the foyer?
May you die before you want too.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
I'm glad that we're getting more photos, but I want a trailer. Honestly, I would pay money to see the (probably) god awful Wrath of the Titans if that's the only way I could watch a trailer.

The photos we've seen recently are amazing, and are just further promoting a positive attitude regarding this film for me. I'm glad that the rooms feel homey while I'm looking at them because they are just familiar enough with gothic aspects that I can see the original actors acting out a scene in the rooms with our original characters. The foyer is massive and pretty overwhelming. I like it, but its a little dark for me. Though I suppose that's the point.

I'm just ready for the thing to come out already. I know I'm going to like it, no matter what the film ends up being. I'm a fan of Depp and Burton, especially when they're together, and I'm a fan of pretty much every known actor in the film as well. I'm sure upon first viewing I'm going to hate it because I won't be able to stop comparing every crack in the wall and blade of grass (HAHA) to the original series, so I'm sure I'll see it at least twice. Because at the second viewing I'll be able to become more objective about the film in it's own right without viewing it as an extension of the original series that I've come to know and love.

Though, I'm not sure I can brace myself for the voracity of negative and even hateful comments that are sure to come after the film is made available to the public, as if there haven't already been enough from just the snippets of information that everyone is fighting over.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
Just think, this will be the first "Collinwood" that we can't visit. I wonder, if there are more DS film to come will each "Collinwood" be different? In the Star Trek movies each enterprise is just a little bit different because they build a new set for each film. I guess each DS movie will have a different "Collinwood". I think that's a little sad.

Oh well, I WANT A TRAILER, NOW!

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
I have plans to see it at least twice.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
really stunning images...

i'm always trying to remain optimistic about this project but a few of the photos released over the weekend were really not to my taste. alice cooper and a disco ball are NOT what i want from dark shadows.

these seem to be much more in line with what we've been hoping for. i love the foyer set and the space barnabas and willie are entering(the drawing room? another view of the foyer?)is quite impressive.

this whole process has been an exercise in 'one step forward, two steps back', but these new images are quite promising. if nothing else the sets and costuming look to be amazing.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline neiljohnson

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
I realy love the photo of Barnabas and Willie.  That is the tone I hope for in the movie.  The photo of the staircase (foyer?) looks very lavish, but it is real?  It looks a little fake to me -- like CGI.  Does anyone agree?  Perhaps its just the way it is photographed, or perhaps the lighting.  Still, something about it looks artificial.

I'm getting very excited about the film.  I really really want to like it.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
For some reason, I get the feeling from the grand staircase shot that the house is submerged beneath the ocean...  There's something about the coloring outside of the window....  ha!

Maybe it's all the fish stuff. 

The new image I linked to of HBC has a GIANT SEAHORSE for goodness sake!  No wonder I think the house is underwater! 

Offline Ronny G

• Junior Poster
  • Barnabas Bites Best!
    • View Profile
The photo of the staircase (foyer?) looks very lavish, but it is real?  It looks a little fake to me -- like CGI.  Does anyone agree?

You are not alone. That was my first thought exactly!

Offline neiljohnson

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
I too noticed the coloring through the window.  Is it supposed to be a view of the ocean?  It looks like it could be a dark sky, the surf, and a darker ocean.  If so, I bet we'll be able to see the waves move during the film.  Could it be that Widow's Hill is directly beneath the window?  Might Josette take her dive right out of the window?  That window is SO prominant.  I'm wondering if, somehow, it is important to the story.  Just speculation on my part.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
But anyway, I'll give an overall impression of the coverage later on. And if there's anything that stands out as really interesting, I'll certainly post about it later, too.

Actually, the overall impression will have to wait because, while I've read the entire interview with Burton, I only got as far as the first three pages of the retrospective. That was about as far as I could get in one sitting because I found myself rolling my eyes at a few too many odd impressions the author seems to have taken away from the pre-Barnabas eps. And some of them particularly stood out to me because the Watching Project has been focusing on those eps lately. Though overall the article has so far been very loving towards the show, and that's probably what should really be taken away when reading it.

But so far as the Burton interview goes - and it's what's really on topic here in this topic - it's interesting. The DS News blog certainly hit the highlights, though it didn't go deeply into some of the points being made, and rightly so with the magazine just coming out on newsstands. But when people read the interview for themselves, it will definitely bring greater clarity to some of Burton's remarks that may have seemed to conflict with what others involved in the film have said. And that's about all I'm willing to say at this point because the article should really be read/digested in its entirety in order to grasp everything that Burton has to say.  [snow_smiley]

65 days 22 hours 55 minutes 27 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
An Oscar Outlook for the movie.

Even from just the few stills we've seen so far, I wouldn't be at all surprised in DS gets a few nominations in some of those categories.

Thanks for the link, jimbo.  [snow_smiley]

65 days 22 hours 37 minutes 40 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Another one:

Thanks for the link, Cousin Barnabas.  [snow_smiley]  And hopefully they'll keep the stills coming. After all, we don't seem to have any active sites in the US yet, so we'll take anything we can get from any other part of the world.  [snow_wink]

65 days 22 hours 28 minutes 3 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!