Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 717112 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Warners is smart, because hundreds of people are looking for a trailer, so I guess they keep the buzz going from people wanting to know exactly what this film will look like - just at our expense.   [snow_wink]

I just came across another posting by someone wondering about the trailer:

Dark shadows 2012 trailer?

So yeah - it definitely seems like there's a lot of anticipation for it.

93 days 8 hours 4 minutes 18 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Graham King on 'Hugo's' box-office woes: 'It's been painful'

Why am I sharing that article in this topic? Well, it's not just because Graham King is one of the producers of the DS film - it's because the film is mentioned in the article. But not only that - it's because the author of the article seem to think DS "has the look of a big moneymaker." Let's only hope!  [snow_wink]

But just to talk about Hugo for a bit, I still think the main reason its box office has been disappointing is because it's in 3D and people just aren't as willing to pay extra to see a 3D film as they were. And I know I've probably said it a dozen times already, but thank heavens the decision was ultimately made not to shoot DS in 3D!

93 days 7 hours 48 minutes 12 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Two more Eva Green articles in which she talks about DS:

Eva Green on 'Perfect Sense,' Loves Scenes with Ewan McGregor & 'Dark Shadows'

EVA GREEN MAKES PERFECT SENSE

93 days 7 hours 29 minutes 11 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
The first Eva Green piece refers to Dark Shadows as a "black comedy."  I have this bad feeling a storm is brewing over Collinwood.

TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Comedy. It's worrisome. I just keep hoping Burton pulls from the same bag he used when he made ED WOOD. Like DS, Wood's films were not intentionally funny. Burton's biopic could well be described as a comedy, but it's as fine an homage to Ed Wood and his films as one could hope for. The appeal of Wood's films, their strange subtleties, are difficult to describe and virtually impossible to duplicate. Burton treated the material with reverence and produced a gem of a film. I hope he does the same here.
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
I'm hoping the actors' inability to pinpoint the tone of the movie is because of their unfamiliarity with the tone of the show. We've heard that it's a comedy and we've heard that it's strange, but we've also heard that it's amazing. All these things could be said about the original show.

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I'm hoping the actors' inability to pinpoint the tone of the movie is because of their unfamiliarity with the tone of the show.

I like this idea. And tone is a good word for it. Intentional comedy is really risky, I hope they pull it off.
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
we've been hearing the words "funny" and "black comedy" thrown around for many months. it' nothing new.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Very true - Eva Green first referred to the film as a "black comedy" back in April before shooting even began. Interestingly, though, she seems to be the only person connected to the film who has described it that way. But be that as it it may, back in April I looked up the definition of a "black comedy" in the Oxford Dictionary of Literary Terms:

"black comedy: a kind of drama in which disturbing or sinister subjects like death, disease, or warfare, are treated with bitter amusement, usually in a manner calculated to offend and shock."

And as I said back then, that definition would seem to jibe with the descriptions we've been getting of the film being dark, bloody and scary along with it being funny. But it doesn't necessarily fit in with fears that the film itself will be a comedy rather than a drama with comedic elements to it. So, at the present anyway, I'm not worried - particularly when the humor in a show like American Horror Story, which is anything but a comedy, has also been described as "black comedy." And if the humor in the DS film is dealt with in similar ways to the humor in that show, I'll have absolutely no problem with it.

What should really give us the tip off of what the DS film will be like will be the trailers, and presumably also the posters - and one day we will finally get them...

92 days 10 hours 31 minutes 17 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
It's nice to see that Time Warner CEO, Jeff Bewkes, forecasts another strong year for the company thanks in part to DS:

Time Warner Q4 Earnings Up Slightly, Thanks in Part to Harry Potter

Apparently not only Warner Brothers but its parent company are high on the film.

And in this article:

Winter box office up 11 percent. Can it keep going?

IMAX exec Greg Foster says that he believes DS will be one of the upcoming films to create "water cooler buzz":

92 days 3 hours 33 minutes 22 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
From Village Roadshow, an international distributor of the film:

http://www.villageroadshow.com.au/upload/document/VRL%20AnnualReport2011%20Editorial.pdf

Dark Shadows – directed by Tim Burton and starring Johnny Depp, this picture is currently slated for release in May 2012 and is anticipated to perform strongly with potential for sequels...

We will see.

And here's a finger...

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/debbiedowner/news/?a=54343&t=DARK_SHADOWS_Cast_Members_Eva_Green__Kathryn_Leigh_Scott_Discuss_The_Film

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Interesting. I wonder where that photo of the finger prosthetic came from - especially when it seems to trace back to amazonews.com?

Nothing particularly new in the following article - but it does feature a photo of Alec Newman as Barnabas that I don't believe I've ever seen before:

Before The Trailer: Dark Shadows 2012

And such an appropriate Web site to be featuring DS, considering there still isn't any trailer.  [snow_wink]

91 days 22 hours 53 minutes 50 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
MB, that image may be screencapped from the clip on Newman's site. 

On a different note, my antivirus said that it blocked a Trojan from that site!  Eek!  Better scan the computer...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
MB, that image may be screencapped from the clip on Newman's site.

That is exactly what it's from.  [snow_smiley]  So that definitely explains why I've never seen it as part of the official photos from the pilot.

On a different note, my antivirus said that it blocked a Trojan from that site!  Eek!  Better scan the computer...

That may have been a false positive because I just accessed the site with Windows and I didn't get any sort of warning. And I also checked problem Web site listings for beforethetrailer.com and, unlike photobucket, couldn't come up with anything.

And BTW, after posting earlier I noticed that if one clicks on the cast photo, probably the largest and best high resolution version of that photo comes up, suitable for downloading...

91 days 22 hours 17 minutes 26 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Hmmm...  It happened after I clicked the Jonathan Frid photo and tried to return to the previous page.