Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 724011 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
This is not fair. The website tweeted that this was the "Dark Shadows" trailer. Instead it is a movie called Dead Shadows. An unbelievable tease. http://www.horror-movies.ca/2012/01/awesome-new-trailer-for-creature-feature-dead-shadows/

It's not like WB is counting its pennies. A nice 30 second teaser trailer would have been real nice because there are many people who still don't know there is a new DS movie that was filmed.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Maybe it was a Freudian slip because they wished it had been a DS trailer. If so, we can relate.  [snow_wink]

96 days 9 hours 41 minutes 33 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
WB could be counting it's pennies.
May you die before you want too.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
Could it be that since the movie is so anticipated TBTB don't feel any reason to put a trailer out there anytime soon?

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
It's pretty nifty that IMDB already lists a critic review for this film...  And to think we haven't even seen the trailer.   [snow_wink]

Seriously though, how does this happen?  The movie isn't even finished yet.  And the "review" seems to be nothing more than a German sneak-peak.  Wonders never cease. 

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Just got back from watching The Woman in Black...  Dark Shadows REALLY missed its opportunity to hit its target audience with this one.  I am fairly sure Warners is kicking itself right now.  The Woman in Black was a hit that touched on the gothic horror elements we are expecting in Shadows...  So what other May 11 release not only had a trailer, but at least six giant promotional "portraits"/posters hanging in the theater?  The Dictator.  That film may be utter trash, but it is really being promoted - even if it was to the wrong audience.  Wish Shadows could have got in with the right one, because I think Woman in Black was its last real chance to hit the genre-goers. 

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
Just got back from watching The Woman in Black...  Dark Shadows REALLY missed its opportunity to hit its target audience with this one.  I am fairly sure Warners is kicking itself right now.  The Woman in Black was a hit that touched on the gothic horror elements we are expecting in Shadows...  So what other May 11 release not only had a trailer, but at least six giant promotional "portraits"/posters hanging in the theater?  The Dictator.  That film may be utter trash, but it is really being promoted - even if it was to the wrong audience.  Wish Shadows could have got in with the right one, because I think Woman in Black was its last real chance to hit the genre-goers.

I watched it tonight and I COMPLETELY agree!  I was thinking the same thing during the trailers.  This was a golden opportunity to hit the target audience.  I was also bummed out as I looked at all the posters in the lobby.  No DS anywhere. 
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
i work with alot of people who were DS fans as kids. when i've mentioned that it was being made into a movie they've reacted with complete shock...

so in other words if they were not in contact with a highly devoted DS fan(me), which most people are not, than they would know absolutely nothing about the movie.

they really do need to get some publicity going.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
Michael, I have had that same experience since it was announced the movie was going to be made.  Most of my friends are old enough to have watched DS (and they did) but are not in any way connected to fandom or follow news about DS except for what I have told them.

Nancy

i work with alot of people who were DS fans as kids. when i've mentioned that it was being made into a movie they've reacted with complete shock...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Dark Shadows REALLY missed its opportunity to hit its target audience with this one.  I am fairly sure Warners is kicking itself right now.

Well, there's no denying that it would have been nice had a trailer been available to show before The Woman in Black, though I don't know how much Warner Brothers is upset that they didn't. True, TWiB did very well at the box office (hopefully DS can do as well), but though it's certainly not apparent to us what the plan is, I'm still sure that Warner Bothers has a marketing plan that will maximize DS' exposure to the people who will be most likely to see it in theaters. After all, they're not in the business to intentionally lose money.  [snow_wink]

94 days 3 hours 25 minutes 56 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
True, MB.  But If I were a Warners exec, I would have been mad about not having anything prepared before tWiB, because it was a hit and the film played out so much like Dark Shadows.  I mean when there are six Borat displays in the lobby and the hallways and DS has nothing prepared for the release a movie that would draw a similar audience to Shadows, it's really kind of mind boggling.   [snow_strange] 

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
While it's mind boggling to us, apparently it's not mind boggling to Warner Brothers.  [snow_undecided]  So I suppose we just have to trust that they know what they're doing - particularly if they're hoping to get a franchise out of DS, as several reports have indicated...

94 days 3 hours 17 minutes 49 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
Accodring to the director's twitter, the teaser for Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is officially being released on Friday. I can't believe we are getting a trailer for this, and already have a poster, and nothing for DS yet :(

But I am also excited to see it as well. :D

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Just for the fun of it I checked IMDb's MOVIEmeter to see where The Dictator places in relation to DS. And even though its poster and trailer have been out since the week of December 11th, it's ranked #642. But even though DS has no poster and no trailer - and even though it fell quite a bit this week from it peak last week - it's at #183. So, as jimbo mused last week, maybe Warner Brothers knows exactly what it is doing with its marketing strategy...

93 days 8 hours 21 minutes 24 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Thanks for doing that, MB.  Somehow, I don't know if the people who will flock to The Dictator on opening weekend even know how to use the Internet though...   [snow_grin]  Or if they do, they aren't likely to want to know anything about the film, as I think the trailer sums it all up. 

Warners is smart, because hundreds of people are looking for a trailer, so I guess they keep the buzz going from people wanting to know exactly what this film will look like - just at our expense.   [snow_wink]