Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 717433 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: (**CAN IT REALLY BE?! Reply #1010**) Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!
« Reply #1065 on: September 15, 2011, 12:50:39 AM »
I don't think Breznican stated that he has seen this particular outdoor scene in post production. I hope this scene is heavily edited to make BC appear to be unlike The Joker etc...

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: (**CAN IT REALLY BE?! Reply #1010**) Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!
« Reply #1066 on: September 15, 2011, 12:54:52 AM »
Well, no, that's not likely - they just shot it yesterday.  [ghost_wink]  I'm sure he was speaking about any number of other scenes featuring Depp/Barn.

239 days 4 hours 5 minutes 8 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: September 15, 2011, 01:44:40 AM »
i don't know. the more i see it, the more i like it...

atwood has an interesting sense of color. i'm liking the emerald green cape, cobalt blue hat and plum ascot. at this point i'm just pleased to see barnabas in a proper suit what with all the talk of "hippies". i was half expecting tie-dye and bell bottoms.

gothick, as for vic, the granny dress and boots make sense given the 1972 time frame. while heathcote is not technically a "blond" i will say that i had hoped for a more raven haired approach.[ghost_wink] given that a theatrical wigmaker was hired they could have given her dramatic tresses. it's sort of ordinary.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: September 15, 2011, 02:35:57 AM »
Heathcote really reminds me more of Scott than Moltke or Going, especially in these pictures.  It's like House of Dark Shadows all over again, except with glasses and a hat!   [ghost_cheesy]

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: September 15, 2011, 02:38:57 AM »
Somebody mentioned Depp wearing a Barnabas ring, but I don't see it here.  T

Look closely at this photo, G:  http://www.splashnewsonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/spl309476_007-wm900.jpg  It's on the right hand, pointer finger, over the glove.   [ghost_smiley]

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #1070 on: September 15, 2011, 03:43:34 AM »
I also took this photo as a joke, like Nancy. I don't think that it's going to look this way at all during the final cut of the film. During the film making process so many crazy things are done to enhance the final look of the film on the screen that we would all be very surprised to see the in-progress looks of the sets, actors, wardrobe, etc etc.

Also, if you think about the amount of people who will actually see this photo online--those hardcore devoted DS, Depp, Burton fans etc in comparison to the overall amount of people that this film will be marketed towards, the number seems pretty small. Ultimately when the trailer for this movie is finally released it will reach thousands more than these few photos ever will.

Nonetheless, as plenty of others have said it is still so early to judge this film. In the end the product will be what it will be, and I'm sure plenty of us will love it overwhelmingly and plenty others will hate it with a passion. Such is the matter of opinion.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #1071 on: September 15, 2011, 02:53:28 PM »
Just for fun, here's one of the pap shots I've graded similarly to the picture work done on Sweeney Todd post filming. Probably won't convince any of the sceptics, but it does give an idea of how much something can be altered from a raw image...

http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: September 15, 2011, 03:28:25 PM »
"people are not impressed..." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hULIZaL4buU

I'm still not convinced that much will change in post production. Thanks Stuart. Perhaps things will be different on the screen. At least many are hoping that is the case.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: September 15, 2011, 04:27:23 PM »
A bit off topic but it deals with issues presented in this topic regarding Dark Shadows searches on Twitter. I didn't know one needed to have a "reputation" and a consistent posting record to have his/her tweets reflected in a DS search. We could be missing some important tweets from those involved in the production based on the latter. And one can also try the fixed in the second set of solutions. In any event Twitter's search engine has been extremely inconsistent.
https://support.twitter.com/groups/32-something-s-not-working/topics/118-search-problems/articles/66018-i-m-missing-from-search

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: September 15, 2011, 04:33:12 PM »
Thanks Michael for the fashion notes.  The hat really isn't working for me.  Too 1940s and too much out of sync with the rest of what he's wearing.  I don't know if they're playing on the whole cousin from England bit and giving him a post-Carnaby Street, proto glamrock look, or what.

I would have preferred a darker color on Vicki's jacket and boots with the Ashley dress... but then, I'm no fashionista.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: September 15, 2011, 06:34:20 PM »
Honestly, it doesn't surprise me in the least that people have jumped to make fun of Depp in the paparazzi photos and the reasoning has little to do with what's depicted in the photos themselves. An unfortunate fact that probably shouldn't go without saying is that Depp is one of those lightning rod actors that some people enjoy nothing better than making fun of. Even when Depp looks normal in a role, these people still manage to focus on something to pick on because they even jumped all over him for the way he looked in The Tourist. When I first began to see that I didn't understand it at all until I realized that making fun of Depp is a cottage industry online and in print. It comes with every one of his roles. So, even if we took the makeup out of the equation, people would still find something else to make fun of, be it the hat, the hair, the cape, or any combination thereof. But that makeup is nothing less than a gift bestowed from the heavens to them, so, armed with that sort of ammunition, it's hardly surprising that they're jumping all over themselves to poke as much fun at the paparazzi photos as they possibly can.  [ghost_wink]

As for whether or not Barnabas will look different on film than Depp looks in the paparazzi photos, that truth will only be revealed when actual footage is released to the public. And heavens knows when that's going to happen. But I see little reason to doubt what Anthony Breznican has said, so I might be in the minority but I'm not going to spend my time between now and whenever some sort of footage finally does come out worrying that it's not true.  [ghost_smiley]

And as for ClevverMovies, well, as I've said before, they seem to regurgitate whatever is getting attention on the Internet, so it's no surprise they're focusing on the negative online reactions. It also doesn't surprise me that they fail to point out that all those comments are being made without having any idea of the context of what was being shot that day.  [ghost_rolleyes]

238 days 10 hours 25 minutes 40 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: September 15, 2011, 06:43:18 PM »
issues presented in this topic regarding Dark Shadows searches on Twitter

Very interesting, jimbo. Thanks so much for sharing that from Twitter's Help Center.  [ghost_smiley]

238 days 10 hours 16 minutes 42 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: September 15, 2011, 06:55:37 PM »
I wasn’t really shocked or surprised to see this make up job. Disappointed, I suppose. But then where JD and TB are concerned, it’s par for the course.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: September 15, 2011, 07:00:21 PM »
Thanks so much for sharing your altered image, Stuart. And I love that you've added the "hat" thumbnail as your avatar.  [ghost_grin]

238 days 9 hours 59 minutes 39 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: September 15, 2011, 07:19:20 PM »
MB I can't disagree with what you said in post 1075. Time will certainly tell. There are so many people like myself who have reservations with this movie. I'm afraid what TB may do, concerned with the reaction to all who read the script and thought it was very funny, how JD is going to interpret Barny and now these photos. It is also not fair how the media is taking these photos and putting a negative spin on them without any real context as you said. However, I can't blame peoples' negative reactions because these photos are nothing of what we expected and let's say they are disappointing/possibly misleading in its current status. I certainly hope I am proven wrong with my reactions to these photos. If WB would only release some official photos...............
Re:Twitter I did not know that its search engine had an "all" drop down selection feature-I was wondering why there were so few DS postings each day.