Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 717211 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
the fact that vampires are not suppose to age when buried alive explanation etc...

The press release says that Barn is already played by Depp by the time he's cursed.

358 days 8 hours 57 minutes 21 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
ooops thanks for the correction.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
The casting of Jonny Lee Miller is quite a coup.  I just saw JLM in a "live" broadcast of the National Theatre (of London)'s production of Frankenstein, playing opposite Benedict Cumberbatch.  Fabulous actor and perfect presence for Roger (although who knows how any of these characters will appear in this new iteration of the series?).

No mention of Josette in that plot outline... interesting...

G.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
If this is correct it does leave out some  of the story lines? No mention of Josette?

This seems llike they might have taken out a major story point of the original?

This also might mean no Buzz.:)
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Nightfall59

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
I doubt if they'll do a Dark Shadows film without a Josette. Didn't earlier articles indicate that Vicki will resemble Barnabas' long lost love? Barn still has to have a reason for rejecting Angelique.

I guess we can take this press release as confirmation that Helena Bonham-Carter will be Julia? In spite of imdb's obsession with the word "rumored"? lol
"Not without you. NEVER without you."
Barnabas to Julia, 1970

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I doubt if they'll do a Dark Shadows film without a Josette. Didn't earlier articles indicate that Vicki will resemble Barnabas' long lost love?

There's never been an official mention of Josette, but yes, all the descriptons of Bella Heathcote's character that were issued by WB back in February said that she resembles Barnabas' lost love.

KLS also mentioned that she believed Bella would play both Victoria and Barnabas' lost love, as was done with the '91 Series and the '04 pilot. There's been no official mention of reincarnation, though...

I guess we can take this press release as confirmation that Helena Bonham-Carter will be Julia? In spite of imdb's obsession with the word "rumored"? lol

A press release from WB is as official as it can get. Maybe IMDb will get the hint and remove the "rumored" from HBC's name.  [ghost_wink]

358 days 7 hours 5 minutes 12 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

Offline Nightfall59

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
It's interesting that we've heard nothing about the casting of any male rival or antagonist for Barnabas. No Burke or Joe or Jeff (eww to the last). Is Barn going to be the sole recipient of all the female attention? Not that Barnabas wouldn't enjoy that. Not that he didn't believe he was the center of all the attention anyway, but still... [chkyy]
"Not without you. NEVER without you."
Barnabas to Julia, 1970

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I really do think that the only antagonist for Barn in the film will be Angelique - and she's actually worse than any three male antagonists put together!  [ghost_cheesy]  Plus the film will only be about two hours long and it certainly sounds like everyone is going to have a secret. So, there's only going to be so much time to deal with those secrets and to do them justice.

Perhaps, if we're lucky enough to get a sequel or so, then some sort of male antagonist will be introduced...

358 days 4 hours 39 minutes 17 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
I expected to know the plot before the movie was released but I didn't expect to know this much this early.
May you die before you want too.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
While it seems like they revealed a lot, they actually didn't reveal much.  It seems like a lot to US, because we know how things are "supposed to be."  Any variation from the way it's "been done" seems like a tremendous lot of knowledge.  To the regular person, this description is minimalistic.  To us, it is golden.

Barnabas does need a reason to reject Angelique.  One would believe it's for another woman - possibly Josette.  But if Barnabas is a [spoiler]"playboy,"[/spoiler] anything is possible.  Never would have put that description to Barnabas before so it should make for interesting character development.  I do hope that Barnabas falls in love with Josette and, in doing so, [spoiler]gives up his playboy ways,[/spoiler] but I am not sure.  If anything, assuming Josette is in this, I don't see her committing suicide for some reason...  But, maybe I'm wrong.

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
To me Barnabas was always a bit of a playboy. Afterall that's what got him in trouble.

The "curse" in this reminds me more of Blacula than DS, that's not a bad thing. I'm a big fan of Blacula, Count Yorga and Dracula A.D. 1972 and this press release reminds me of all of those movies. That said I don't believe we would have any of them without DS.

I do hope there is a Josette. Any movie about Barnabas should have an Angelique and Josette.
May you die before you want too.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
[spoiler]1) I guess the inclusion of Thomas McDonnell now makes sense, as there will presumably be a scene(s) in 1752.  This also means that there will be a Joshua and Naomi-- will they do the duplicate casting trick that they did for the show, or will there be separate actors cast?  I'm guessing the latter, but who knows?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I can definitely see Michelle Pfeiffer and Jonny Lee Miller as Naomi and Joshua. Both look amazing in period clothes. Of course, Pfeiffer looks amazing in everything she does. But I have to confess that while watching Miller in PBS Masterpiece Emma I found myself wishing I'd been alive in that era and had Miller's character's wardrobe. He had one particular green suit that I would have killed to have been able to wear back then. And anyone who's seen the production probably knows the one I mean.  [ghost_smiley][/spoiler]

3) Did they spell "Brouchard" wrong, or did they change her name?

I'm thinking it may be a typo because several places have been reporting Angelique's last name as Bouchard, as it was on the daytime DS.

4) I'm still enjoying the playboy angle ;)

Yes, and I'm surprised that anyone questions it with regard to the original DS' Barn. I mean, he ran after every SYT that ever got within 10 feet of him. If that isn't playboyish behavior, I don't know what is.  [ghost_grin]  And if he had known how to keep it his pants with regard to Angelique and "those nights in Martinique," just think of how different his life would have been...

358 days 1 hours 21 minutes 41 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
To me Barnabas was always a bit of a playboy. Afterall that's what got him in trouble.

I mean, he ran after every SYT that ever got within 10 feet of him. If that isn't playboyish behavior, I don't know what is.  [ghost_grin]  And if he had known how to keep it his pants with regard to Angelique and "those nights in Martinique," just think of how different his life would have been...

GMTA, borgosi - and at almost the exact same time. How's that for being on the same wavelength?!  [ghost_grin]

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
It's true that Barnabas ''messed around'' on the original, but this description makes him sound like Hugh Hefner, all high and mighty in his big house with all his ladies.  To my knowledge, in the original, Barnabas had one love (Josette) and one lady interest (Angelique) before his true love.  Hardly what I would identify as a playboy.  

In the modern era, Barnabas had a hang-up - on Josette.  He wasn't really a playboy, because he was only after one woman, one he could never have, but tried to often.  [spoiler]He saw Josette in Maggie and Vicki in the present.  He saw her in Rachel and Kitty in 1897.  Then he had a thing for Roxanne.[/spoiler]  Over the course of time, he really only had two love interests.  One was Josette (albeit in many forms).  Not exactly playboy standards.  Just kind of obsessed, imo.      

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Let's not forget both Roxannes.  [ghost_wink]  And just because we only know about Angelique, that doesn't necessarily mean she was the only one he slept with and then dropped flat.

358 days 1 hours 4 minutes 12 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!