Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 719674 times)

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: (**JOSHUA CAST??** Reply #681) Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!
« Reply #975 on: September 08, 2011, 07:09:39 PM »
After the Comic Con panel, I was expecting that.  Not too upset, since Sweeney and Sleepy play a part.  It is not going to be the very serious interpretation we had in 1991, and I have come to terms with that.  And Beetlejuice was a lot of black humor, so I'd hope for the same thing here.  Plus, this new take may just make KLS's statements come true.  I am ready for almost anything as long as it maintains integrity. 

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: September 08, 2011, 08:16:03 PM »
Cousin Barnabas I was also hoping for a serious interpretation as we had in the 91 series. The 91 series did have some light moments but I don't think that series could ever be compared with Beetlejuice imo. I don't think KLS would say anything negative about the movie for several reasons so I'm not sure she is an impartial person in this context. Let's hope that the movie is much more scary than what Chloe stated it is.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: September 08, 2011, 08:56:22 PM »
I can't say that Chloe's remark struck me all that much, so that's probably why I never commented on it. I probably won't have a problem with the Depp/DS film if it turns out to be a combination of those three other films because 1) it's probably all a matter of degree when it comes to each film's style, and 2) two of the three (Sleepy Hollow and Sweeney Todd) aren't played for laughs. That being said, though, the only one of those films that I've seen is Sleepy Hollow and I only know the other two through reputation. But I wouldn't mind in the slightest if the Depp/DS film turns out to be anything like Sleepy Hollow. And actually, when people connected to the film describe it, the Burton title that comes up far more often than the other two is Sleepy Hollow.

245 days 8 hours 3 minutes 38 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: September 08, 2011, 09:07:48 PM »
Hoping not to get too far off topic, here, but Johnny was at the GQ Men of the Year awards last night to present a Writer of the Year award to Keith Richards (for his autobiography, Life).  It could be me totally projecting my imagination on these photos, but I can envision a bit of a dark and mysterious Barnabas coming through in a few of the pix

Actually, at this point any and all photos of Depp are appreciated because they're the closest we're getting to having any sort of idea as to what Depp looks like. And speaking of which, unless he wears a wig in the film (and I don't mean a powdered wig in the 1772 scenes [ghost_wink]), I'm guessing he doesn't sport Frid's trademark spikey Barnabas bangs because his own hair is too long for them. In fact, if his own hair is any indication, the look of Barn's hair may indeed turn out to be very similar to the Depp/Barn portrait that was displayed at the '07 Fest.

Also, a few folks on my Depp forum noted that something seems wrong with his thumbnail, and he seemed to have some of his fingernails painted at the Alice Cooper show he recently performed at.  So could Barnabas perhaps have long/creepy vamp fingernails?

Interesting Possibility...

245 days 7 hours 52 minutes 12 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: September 08, 2011, 09:44:47 PM »
Chloe had some things to say about the film-the linked video contains a statement she made about her character that may or may not be considered a spoiler

Well, one thing she said that's certainly not a spoiler is that Carolyn has a secret because the WB Press Release from back in May told us that all the members of the Collins family are "each harboring their own dark secrets."  That was one of the things about the press release that I found most intriguing.

What I was most happy to hear from the interview was that it confirmed that she did indeed say that Michelle Pfeiffer had completed shooting last week. Not that I really doubted what was posted on IMDb because the poster had attributed the info to Moretz and this interview. But it's still nice to get the actual confirmation in Chloe Moretz' own words.  [ghost_wink]

245 days 7 hours 25 minutes 13 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: September 08, 2011, 10:01:38 PM »
In an earlier interview with Eva Green, she made it seem as if Burton had wooed her for the role from the getgo

One thing we do know is Eva Green was suggested for Angelique by Graham King after he saw her work in his production of Camelot. I don't recall reading that anyone else was ever considered for the part. But, considering all the secrecy surrounding the film, that certainly doesn't mean that no one else ever was. Though to read that Anne Hathaway supposedly auditioned was interesting because prior to casting her name was most associated with Victoria, not Angelique.

245 days 6 hours 58 minutes 22 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #981 on: September 08, 2011, 10:33:09 PM »
Actually, at this point any and all photos of Depp are appreciated because they're the closest we're getting to having any sort of idea as to what Depp looks like.

In that case, for your consideration, here is a YouTube of Johnny (and Tom Stoppard) doing the GQ award presentation to Keith Richards.  Johnny comes in at about the 2 min. mark if you want to skip ahead.  (ETA- I have no idea what the clip's title, "Improper Johnny Depp", is supposed to mean   [ghost_rolleyes]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc9j3IdrO_o

What's of interest to me here is the voice and his body language.  Being a bit of a Depp fan  [ghost_grin], I've heard him do a fair bit of public speaking, and he definitely seems to me to have a bit of a different vibe going on than usual (example, how he stretches out the phrase "on his own terms.")  He's keeping his voice quite low and gritty.  Could it be a hint of Barnabas?  Or was he just hanging out too long with Keith backstage?  [ghost_wink]  I could be way off, but it does seem like he carries bits and pieces of his characters with him when he's working on something, so who knows?

As for the hair style, I've been wondering that for months (years??).  I am hoping for Johnny *not* to do the Frid bangs, because I feel that would be too literal; somehow I'd like for that to stay a Frid trademark.  I am almost assuming that he'll have a wig for the 1700's and will probably be disappointed if he doesn't.  As for present day, who knows?

I'm fine with Chloe's remarks because both Sleepy Hollow and Sweeney Todd *do* have some humor, but still retain a very dark atmosphere.  Beetlejuice is perhaps a tad more comedic than I'd like from DS, but even that one has moments that are very dark.  It's a funny feeling hearing that she (and Michelle) are done, but it's kind of exhilarating in a way!!  I wonder how much longer Johnny will be there, and I wonder when McDonell will start...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: September 09, 2011, 12:23:51 AM »
Well, not only do we know that Chloe Moretz has left Londo, we know where she went and why:

ChloeGMoretz Chloë Grace Moretz
So excited for #TorontoFilmFestival for the #Hick premiere tomorrow night!! xxxxxx ahhh dreams coming true <3
6 hours ago

ChloeGMoretz
Byee byeee London, hey toronto ;) cya at 12am!!!! #jetlag
4 hours ago

ChloeGMoretz
ByeBye London cya in a few hours Toronto!! :) not excited for the flying bit :( hopefully it'll be all good! #AirCanadaaa
3 hours ago

245 days 4 hours 36 minutes 9 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: September 09, 2011, 12:35:37 AM »
Oops - and again I'm late in finding one of Matthew Morris' tweets (though I could swear when I checked late last night/early today, it wasn't there):

1mattmorris
@ChloeGMoretz saw you last week in full costume looking great. I was working in a scene on the harbour. Good luck!
7 Sep

245 days 4 hours 24 minutes 23 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: September 09, 2011, 05:52:09 AM »
ETA- I have no idea what the clip's title, "Improper Johnny Depp", is supposed to mean   [ghost_rolleyes]

That is a very odd title.  [ghost_huh]  But -

What's of interest to me here is the voice and his body language.  Being a bit of a Depp fan  [ghost_grin], I've heard him do a fair bit of public speaking, and he definitely seems to me to have a bit of a different vibe going on than usual (example, how he stretches out the phrase "on his own terms.")  He's keeping his voice quite low and gritty.  Could it be a hint of Barnabas?  Or was he just hanging out too long with Keith backstage?  [ghost_wink]  I could be way off, but it does seem like he carries bits and pieces of his characters with him when he's working on something, so who knows?

- I'm with you that the way he introduced Richards was certainly different from what one generally sees from Depp.

244 days 23 hours 7 minutes 51 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: September 09, 2011, 06:16:09 AM »
His intonations are an odd mix between those of Bela Lugosi and some kind of modern Beatnik. 

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: September 09, 2011, 07:46:17 AM »
Josh_TurnerGolf Joshua Turner
Last day on dark shadows today!!! Its been emotional!!
24 minutes ago

244 days 21 hours 13 minutes 43 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: September 09, 2011, 02:02:29 PM »
Jimbo, I decided awhile back that I was not going to second-guess what the movie will be like even when comments from those who have read the script come into play.  What is actually shot can change considerably in tone/mood/structure when the director and the editor get together in post-production.

Nancy

Interesting no one here has a reaction to Chloe's comments describing the DS movie "as a mixture of Beetlejuice and Sweeney  meets Sleepy Hollow It definitely has a bit of scariness, but it has the fun-ness of Beetlejuice and the craziness of Sleepy Hollow."
Well eveyone who has read the script has said it is a very funny movie-hope it is not that funny.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: September 09, 2011, 03:46:45 PM »
What is actually shot can change considerably in tone/mood/structure when the director and the editor get together in post-production.

That's an excellent point.

244 days 13 hours 13 minutes 15 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: September 09, 2011, 04:10:53 PM »
Apparently I also missed thess two the other day:

Dan Frye
Thank you,Dark Shadows for a great 5 months...thanks to James,Kristyan and especially Joel for everything..,(and the great crew)..not thanking all of u..(.its not the f**king Oscars!.)..ill leave that to Joel
11 Sept

(Dan Frye worked in the Makeup Department of the film)

and

wildflowerturf James Hewetson-Brown
@filmscapes delivering 570mē wildflower turf today for the latest epic film - Dark Shadows, a supernatural drama starring Jonny Depp - WOW!!
7 Sep

I'm beginning to wonder if everything DS-related doesn't always come up every time one searches Twitter because the second one was tweeted shortly before dermot power's tweet about finishing up his time on DS with a couple of dark gothic images, and I did see/post that one. And there's that one from Matthew Morris, also from the 7th, that suddenly showed up yesterday...

But anyway, I wonder what they were delivering turf for that time?

LLCarrington Lynette Carrington
#FF @AliLevineDesign One of those uber cool costume designers kickin' it in Hollyweird! #DarkShadows
2 hours ago

I wonder if she actually designed anything for DS? She's simply listed as a "costumer" on IMDb - and as we know, Colleen Atwood is on record as the film's costume designer.

244 days 12 hours 49 minutes 7 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!