Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 716834 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Sleepy Hollow was R? I don't remember that. But then I guess it would be with all those graphic decapitations.  [ghost_wink]

And considering that SH is often cited as a film DS may be like, well...

309 days 9 hours 11 minutes 53 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I think the writer of that article should reference where he obtained that information of a cast listing for a young Quentin.

Writers should. But sadly, most don't.  [ghost_rolleyes]

I'll be sure to quote stuff next time not to be spanked again.

Well, it's certainly not your fault when writers take things for granted, or when they assume everything they read on the Internet is accurate, or worse still, when they print their own assumptions as facts. I still can't over how many of the writers of the Collinwood set photos articles think those photos were officially released by Warner Brothers!  [ghost_shocked]  [ghost_huh]  And the sad thing is that anyone who only sees those articles will accept that as fact.  [ghost_sad]  (And what's worst is that the Web site that's being credited for the photos by many of the other writers was actually created by someone who stole the photos from the fans who actually took/posted them and then simply made a FanPop site with them! But that's a whole other issue - and talk about giving credit where credit isn't due!)

309 days 9 hours 0 minutes 28 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Sleepy Hollow was R? I don't remember that. But then I guess it would be with all those graphic decapitations.  [ghost_wink]

Yep.  "Rated R for graphic horror violence and gore, and for a scene of sexuality"  Hmm, I'm trying to remember what the scene of sexuality is, as Johnny's character is rather meek in that regard in this particular film  [ghost_wink]   I think I remember but I've got to see this one again soon; it's been awhile!

I was thinking of several other movies of Johnny's, which *did* include scenes of sexuality, that add to his pile of R movies: The Astronaut's Wife, The Man Who Cried, Before Night Falls, Donnie Brasco, and also Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas (more for the language) and Dead Man (more for the language and violence).  A couple of his films don't show the MPAA rating on IMDb- Private Resort and Arizona Dream- but I have my suspicions...  But don't worry, Johnny has also made PG and PG-13 films, too, so I don't want y'all to think he's *that* amoral  [ghost_wink]

Cathy

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
"Rated R for graphic horror violence and gore, and for a scene of sexuality"  Hmm, I'm trying to remember what the scene of sexuality is, as Johnny's character is rather meek in that regard in this particular film  [ghost_wink]   I think I remember but I've got to see this one again soon; it's been awhile!

I just watched it again in March and I don't remember. Obviously it didn't make much of an impact on me.  [ghost_wink]

I don't want y'all to think he's *that* amoral  [ghost_wink]

Amorality might actually attract more fans to him than it pushes away.  [ghost_grin]  But can you tell I haven't seen many of Depp's films. I had no idea he'd made so many R rated ones. I definitely need to check more of them out.  [ghost_cheesy]  (I own The Libertine and Sweeny Todd, but I haven't watched either of them because I'm still waiting for friends to be available who want to watch them when I do...)

Changing the subject, just caught this on Twitter:

kr_shhh
I JUST MET JOHNNY DEPP!!!!!

kr_shhh
SCREAM!!!

Strangely there's no timeframe on Twitter at the moment - but it happened sometime today. Lucky her.  [ghost_wink]

309 days 8 hours 45 minutes 2 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
(I own The Libertine and Sweeny Todd, but I haven't watched either of them because I'm still waiting for friends to be available who want to watch them when I do...)

If you can deal with the gore as well as the music (which are not often found together in one movie at the same time!) then I really recommend Sweeney Todd- it is probably my favorite of Johnny's movies of the past 5-8 years.  But not a lot of people who like musicals like horror, or vice versa.  I just happen to like both!  As for The Libertine, the acting is astonishing, but be prepared for a noble effort that doesn't really quite succeed.  Oh, that reminds me of something I was going to say earlier regarding Alice Cooper.  It might be that he's being listed as "rumored" for now, despite Alice himself confirming the role, just to be cautious.  Rocker Shane MacGowan filmed a part for The Libertine and was going around telling everyone he was going to be in the film, and then the poor guy ended up on the cutting room floor. (You can see a couple of brief shots of Shane on set on the Libertine DVD extras, but he didn't make the film).  Not to say that this will happen with Alice, but I'm just saying it's possible they're just waiting for more confirmation.

Cathy

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
very interesting that the cannery of all things has made it into the film. there certainly is alot of "atmosphere" being created for a two hour film.

i would have thought given the plot outline that most of the action was taking place on the collins estate. but with that 1940's shipwrecked boat, and all the talk of how major the collinsport set is, and now the cannery. that's alot of locations. modern locations i might add meaning they were created just for the 1972 period of the film.

i wonder what's being set up for 1752/72?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Another person about to start working on the film:

pablo38 Paul Anthony Davis
Im very new to this....... So..help me out.. Im about to start filming on dark Shadows with Johnny Depp!
4 hours ago

I checked his credits, and in the past he has worked as a Personal Assistant or Production Assistant, but his Twitter profile says he is an actor. So, it'll be interesting to see if he's working behind or before the camera. Though his tweet would make it seem as if he'll be acting...

308 days 12 hours 42 minutes 20 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
I'm thinking that the DS movie will probably be PG-13 just because of the reasons already listed. But, DS has always felt very adult to me in that most of the characters are mature adults and not children. (Although I guess Barnabas was supposed to be in his 20s in the original). So my question is, with Twilight being such a phenomenon and vampire movies and tv shows popping up left and right that are being obviously marketed to teenagers, how would one market DS to this young adult/teenage group? I'm not going to generalize and say that young people don't/can't enjoy dramatic older fare, but those who do are definitely the exception to the rule.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Interesting question Brandon.  Personally, since I am of the generation that loved (ie., was around during) the original series, I have no need for the film to reach the teen audience  [ghost_wink]  But I realize that the film industry *is* a business, and getting a certain amount of box office return is always going to be a consideration, and teens like to go to the movies!  I think that the casting of Chloe Moretz and Thomas McDonell would be a draw for teens, but I wonder how else they could interest that generation in this film?  Hopefully not by trying to mimic Twilight, but I have some faith that Johnny/Tim/Infinitum Nihil/GKFilms wouldn't resort to that.  

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Another person checking out the Collinwood set:

HanaS_Smith
Checking out the set of Dark Shadows. Looks great, but I'm mostly just excited that they're planting trees! Finally.
2 hours ago

Unfortunately, she didn't provide any photos - but if they're planting trees, that must mean that they'll be shooting more scenes there.

308 days 9 hours 29 minutes 5 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Some old photos of the Collinwood set that we apparently missed, but thanks to a Chloe Moretz Web site from France I discovered today. There isn't much that we haven't already seen - but completists will definitely want to check them out: alternativepath's photostream
(1 photo dated May 28th, 1 photo dated June 5th, 3 photos dated June 23rd.)

And I saw this photo yesterday, but the person whose site I saw it on said they didn't think is was from the Depp/DS film because of the clothes Chloe Moretz is wearing (though I honestly thought to myself that every girl I knew in 1972 had a similar outfit - and then there's her flashing the peace sign). So, I decided not to share it. However, today I've seen several different Web sites and tweets claiming it IS Chloe Moretz dressed in one of her Carolyn outfits. Who knows? But I'm going to share it now just in case: Off Script. Time will tell...

308 days 4 hours 22 minutes 59 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
the outfit is very 1972 to me...

the peter pan collar. the polyester petrol blue. i'll bet not a natural fiber in sight. i'll bet the bottom half is a short "jumper" worn with knee socks. shades of marcia brady. a soupcon of hallie stokes.

funny but when we first heard about a fourteen year old carolyn i was a bit nonplussed. now i'm quite excited for this characterization. something about the character description(a "rebellious teenager")combined with this ensemble is evocative of the spoiled and petulant veruca salt from the original "charlie and the chocolate factory" film. could be fun. moretz certainly seems to be enjoying her time on the set.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Thanks for the photo MB. Hopefully more will come soon.

This writer in this article gave the new DS movie another try as she originally had written an article indicating she believed the new movie was unnecessary.

http://www.ahherald.com/columns-mainmenu-28/armchair-critic/11224-michelle-pfeifferand-me

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Well, I'll say this - at least it's nice to see that the writer came to her senses and realized that she'd written some absolute foolishness in her last column about the movie...

Thanks for the link, jimbo.  [ghost_smiley]

308 days 0 hours 58 minutes 56 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
 I think that the casting of Chloe Moretz and Thomas McDonell would be a draw for teens, but I wonder how else they could interest that generation in this film?  Hopefully not by trying to mimic Twilight, but I have some faith that Johnny/Tim/Infinitum Nihil/GKFilms wouldn't resort to that.  

The casting of these two actors is definitely a plus! Really, Depp is the one who will be carrying this film for the younger generation who may not be as familiar with the other older actors and/or wouldn't have interest in the DS film otherwise. With the hugely major success of the (mostly terrible) Pirates movies Depp is in, that definitely bodes well for our little show/movie. Really I'm wondering what the marketing campaign will be like, how they will arrange the trailers and commercials, and what other promotional tools they will use.

Twilight has everything under the sun, and so does Harry Potter. Dolls, cards, books, clothing, etc etc. The fun never stops for these fandoms.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran