Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 716813 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
The writer is asking what is WB's marketing strategy like the rest of us. http://screencrave.com/2012-03-08/is-dark-shadows-coming-out-in-may/

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
You can vote for "your favorite type of weird" Johnny Depp character here: ... Barnabas has 7.81 percent.

More people must have voted because when I just voted (not for Barnabas  [snow_wink]) Barnabas now has 20.25% and is ranked 3rd behind Edward Scissorhands and Jack Sparrow who are tied for 1st with 24.05%. Though considering that I think a lot of Depp's characters are much weirder than Jack Sparrow, perhaps this is turning into a popularity contest and having Barnabas in 3rd is actually a good thing.  [snow_wink]

63 days 8 hours 2 minutes 13 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
That's funny.  I have started thinking about BarnaDepp as BarnaScissors, short for Barnabas Scissorhands.

It's the dresden-doll clown makeup...

I wonder whether there will be protests from Native American groups over Depp's garish Tonto makeup?  Looks like something Siouxie (of the Banshees) would have worn to a concert circa 1979.

G.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Thanks for the "weirdest characters" poll link.  It's hard to choose!  [snow_smiley]  Slight nitpick- Johnny's character from the film Benny & Joon is *not* named Benny; Benny is Joon's brother, played by Aidan Quinn, and Johnny's character is Sam.  That is a common mistake  [snow_angry]  (Kind of like how some people want to spell Barnabas with a "u" )

I don't want to get too far off topic regarding the Tonto/Lone Ranger photo, but since it's been brought up, apparently some Depp fans have done research and seen that this makeup and headpiece is actually a realistic Native American look; I've only had time to skim so I can't tell you the exact details of which tribe(s) or whatnot, but there's been a photo of a Native American man posted that portrays a similar headpiece and very similar makeup.  I was shocked at the photo at first, but in a way I'm pleased that they didn't go with the caricature-ish stereotypical Native American look.  I'm actually very shocked that there has been a photo released *this* soon, but the photo was released by Jerry Bruckheimer himself on his Twitter account this morning, and let's just say that Jerry Bruckheimer and Tim Burton have VASTLY different ways of handling an upcoming film. 

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport
Well, this is interesting..

When you go to the link I posted yesterday:
http://www.cinemarcado.com.br/2012/03/07/confira-imagens-exclusivas-de-sombras-da-noite-o-suspense-com-direcao-de-tim-burton/

It no longer has the pictures & only some text that roughly-translated-by-bling reads:

Ops, seems you arrived late. The images that had been published were not yet ready to be released and were removed.

Too little, too late, website.

Well, here are some direct links to the images posted elsewhere on the web, incase anyone missed them:

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/419239_757799057686_354485437_n.jpg

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/431530_757798399006_23508468_35399659_143090063_n.jpg

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/418490_757798513776_23508468_35399660_169355234_n.jpg

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/421342_757798678446_23508468_35399661_1663168791_n.jpg

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
let's just say that Jerry Bruckheimer and Tim Burton have VASTLY different ways of handling an upcoming film.

Ain't that the truth!  [snow_cheesy]

Hmmm - I wonder if there are fans in The Lone Ranger fandom who when told that Depp's look is authentic will completely ignore that, just like some DS fans want to completely ignore the fact that Depp is channeling an old school vampire look for Barnabas? It wouldn't surprise me if there are...

63 days 5 hours 15 minutes 42 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
When you go to the link I posted yesterday: ... It no longer has the pictures

That's definitely interesting.

Too little, too late, website.

That's for sure. But now we can be doubly grateful to you for coming across them and for sharing them.  [snow_smiley]

63 days 5 hours 10 minutes 30 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Hmmm. Access Hollywood already had a segment tonight on The Lone Ranger photo, with interview clips with both Depp and Armie Hammer. But we shouldn't be jealous. No, not at all. We love being in the dark about so much regarding DS. Right?  [snow_wink]

Although, to be fair I don't think I had started to record the entertainment news shows back when the DS cast photo came out, so they may have done a segment on it. Though if they had, one would think we would have heard about it...

63 days 3 hours 8 minutes 29 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Yeah, so Warners has had all of the latest images pulled...  I guess it wasn't time...  But why pull them? 

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Here's another image of Eva that has made it onto Facebook...  She is wearing the dress. 

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3407281097951&set=o.378080145542273&type=1&theater

Pretty sure this is what KLS was talking about when she said that the original castmembers were part of the "Ah ha!" moment.  That is an "Ah ha!" look if I have ever seen one...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Well, this is interesting. I received an e-mail from Amazon, and not only isn't Return to Collinwood being shipped early, it's being shipped a week later than Amazon originally said because apparently the release of the book has been pushed back a week, from March 27th to April 3rd. Who knows what that's about - particularly considering that we know the book has already been published. Though at least it hasn't been pushed back to May when it was originally supposed to come out...

62 days 7 hours 38 minutes 58 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Yeah, so Warners has had all of the latest images pulled...  I guess it wasn't time...  But why pull them?

What's interesting is that I've come across several other Web sites that now have messages like:

PICTURES REMOVED AT STUDIO'S REQUEST

Or have even replaced the photos with huge graphics that say REMOVED in big red letters. And they're sites from here in the US, not outside the US, so who knows? Though there are plenty of other sites that still have them on display. Though that may be because either they're ignoring Warner Brothers (which may not be a good thing) or they haven't been contacted to remove them because they're not on Warner Brothers' radar (at least not yet).

Here's another image of Eva that has made it onto Facebook...  She is wearing the dress.

I guess we shouldn't be at all surprised that she's wearing that dress to the party.  [snow_wink]
Thanks for the link, Cousin_Barnabas.  [snow_smiley]

(And as a side note, Extra also featured The Lone Ranger photo last night. Though they simply showed the photo - no interview clips...)

62 days 7 hours 21 minutes 4 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
This week's MTV article:

'Dark Shadows': A Peek Inside Collinwood Manor
Pictures revealing the manor's entryway and grand staircase have a distinctly old-school Tim Burton feel.

I think we can all share MTV's John Mitchell's anxiousness to see a trailer. But really, continually harping on the fact that there isn't one yet isn't going to make it come out any sooner. And honestly, once we were told that a trailer wasn't likely until March, I strongly suspected that we wouldn't see it before the 16th, anyway - though since then there seems to have been some rumblings that we may not even see one until the 30th because its release just might coincide with the opening of Wrath of the Titans. So to me the interesting thing isn't why isn't there a trailer - it's more that if the trailer does come out this month as we were told, will it come out unattached to a Warner Brothers film or will it be attached to Wrath of the Titans? We shall see. But harping on the fact that nothing has come out as of yet isn't going to answer that question either.  [snow_wink]

62 days 3 hours 57 minutes 35 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Like everyone else I am wanting a trailer. However, for now I am totally enjoying these wonderful pictures.  The staircase is simply breathtaking. I studied it for a good twenty minutes.  So exquisite.  If the movie were to get pushed back I wouldn't be upset. I want them to get the movie perfect.  Am I wrong, or was ALICE pushed back at one point?? ??  Love all the new pictures.  I am just so so excited to see these come to fruition. I have been talking with a 20 year old fan from New Zeland who got into the original show on his own.  He said he had a lot of friends who were super excited.  I am really looking forward to new blood infused into DS.....I remember when the 1991 show came on it brought me to DS and many other fans I have talked with over the years.  And all of the ones who started with 1991 that I know eventually watched the original too! I seriously feel that this is going to infuse fandom with an amazing new energy whether the movie is good or bad.   Of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  To some the movie may be horrid and to some it may be immaculate and perfect.  I just know my mind is staying open until I watch the movie.  Even I could compare the 1991 show.  I loved Joanna Going and Barbara Steele so much.  However, when I watched the original I feel in love with Grayson.  Alexandra isn't my favorite Victoria but I still enjoyed her work.  I plan to go into this movie as if I am seeing something that I have never heard of.

For me.  Most of the stills have a serious look to them although I am sure there will be some humor. When I think of what Barnabas coming two hundred years into the future, I honestly cannot figure out why the strangeness of it all was never really explored.

LOVE TO ALL MY COUSINS!!!!!   [Witch_Potion_Animated]

[thewave]

[vampsmiley]

Tae
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Hmmm. I was just checking some of the posts on the IMDb board and they're saying that the French news segment (the one linked to by Sara Monster in reply #2519 on page #168) reported that the DS trailer would reach the Internet in a few days. That was back on the 7th and we've yet to see anything yet - though that doesn't necessarily mean that the release can't be imminent.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get the video to play. Has anyone who understands French seen it? And if so, does it actually say that the trailer would be released in a few days?

Also, the people on IMDb seem to think that all the recent photos that have been released are from scenes in the trailer. I came across one post where someone even says it's been confirmed that they do - but the person doesn't cite a source.

It would be great if the trailer is imminent. And it would certainly be interesting if the photos are from scenes in the trailer. But who knows...

61 days 10 hours 37 minutes 19 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!