Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 719851 times)

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
I think Chris Lee would be very good as Prof. Stokes.
May you die before you want too.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Dear folks, by the standard definitions of "canon," the ONLY canon for the Original DS universe are the actual aired episodes of the original series.  Stuff that was in the "Marilyn" Ross novels, the Gold Key comics, the feature films, or even Sam Hall's (in)famous TV guide article isn't canon.  It either refers to its own iteration of the DS universe (yet another layer of "parallel time, " perhaps?) or represents commentary from "interested parties."  Sadly, even the wonderful video of a fabulously coiffed and gowned Joan Bennett filmed by a fan in the 1980s telling us that Elizabeth was indeed Vicki's mother does not count as canon.  (From the clues dropped in the 1966 scripts,  a very different solution to Vicki's parentage is implied, though had Art Wallace continued to write for the show, who knows what final twist he might have introduced had the matter been resolved in an aired episode.)

The Depp movie, and its potential sequels, will establish the characters and story in their own unique universe.  The storyline and revelations of that world already present a very different history for the Collins family from the narrative, fraught as it was, established for the Collinses we knew in the Sixties. 

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Thanks for posting the tweet from Seth Grahame-Smith, jimbo.  [ghost_smiley]

And thanks for the heads up regarding Depp's kid's accounts, madscntst. If they are bogus, what's really interesting is some verified celebrity accounts are following them, well, following his daughter's account. But then, just because someone is a celebrity, that doesn't mean they have good judgement.  [ghost_wink]

And speaking of Twitter, there have now been quite a few tweets about Christopher Lee doing DS. Hopefully it really is true...

305 days 0 hours 58 minutes 47 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Christopher Lee!!!!!  How awesome!!!!  I sure hope it's true!  I think he'd make a great Professor Stokes!  But whoever he would play this would be soooo cool!!!!! [ghost_grin]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
As per usual, we're left to wonder what this means:

PinewoodStudios
@sethgs What a fantastic day to be back
6 hours ago

Though apparently Chloe Moretz may have the day off from shooting today:

ChloeGMoretz
Biking in hyde park ohhh what a wonderful dayyy :)
1 hour ago

And yet another person (James Adkin, who's a film, TV and commercial producer) comments on the DS sets at Pinewood:

jamesaadkin
Saw some of Tim Burton's 'Dark Shadows' set over the weekend - now thats how you make a film set - Johnny Depp #asavampire....
7 hours ago

And for whatever it's worth (which madscntst pointed out may not be much):

liilyrosedepp
@GretaGrigorova Getting ready to go to Dark Shadows set & you? x
2 hours ago

304 days 13 hours 36 minutes 47 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I haven't got the vaguest idea who this guy is, but (given their recent discussion in the "DS Fashion Envy" topic) perhaps michael_c and Midnite will be soaring into the stratosphere when they read this:

Terry DE Havilland 50th Anniversary Celebrations: Terry's Tales

304 days 13 hours 30 minutes 4 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
The Depp movie, and its potential sequels, will establish the characters and story in their own unique universe.  The storyline and revelations of that world already present a very different history for the Collins family from the narrative, fraught as it was, established for the Collinses we knew in the Sixties. 

This is exactly right. I honestly hope that fans don't get sucked into a new argument/discussion about what is canonical and what isn't because that would just be a waste of time. The new movie is a completely fresh start for an all new set of stories. Just like the audio CDs from Big Finish, it's going to attempt to add more stories to the Dark Shadows universe.

@ borgosi:

I've liked pretty much all of the movies Depp and Burton have done together, so I'm sure I'll love the new Dark Shadows as well. But I'm definitely with as far as if the movie doesn't look appealing once the trailers and commercials start playing, I might not go see it. Though, I'm sure the excitement surrounding the movie and the fact that I've been a fan of DS for well over a decade now (a long time when you're 24) will get the better of me.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Terry De Havilland!  Be still my heart.  Can you say 'snakeskin platforms' and 'metallic wedges'?  Can't wait to see what he designs for Julia and Liz.  Awesome!

Thanks, MB!

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
Christopher Lee??!!  My mind is officially blown!  Very cool!
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
I have too.  I don't rely too much on seeing trailers as to whether or not I will see a movie.  I used to until I went to one too many movies (based on the trailer I saw) and the movie sucked.  The trailers just gives you an idea of what the movie is about, not how good it is.

I've liked pretty much all of the movies Depp and Burton have done together, so I'm sure I'll love the new Dark Shadows as well. But I'm definitely with as far as if the movie doesn't look appealing once the trailers and commercials start playing, I might not go see it. Though, I'm sure the excitement surrounding the movie and the fact that I've been a fan of DS for well over a decade now (a long time when you're 24) will get the better of me.

Offline neiljohnson

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Not sure if this is meaningful or not, but -- last night Helena Bonham Carter was interviewed on a Larry King Special about the final Harry Potter movie.  In the interview (which I assume was taped fairly recently), Carter had red-hair.  Perhaps she has dyed her hair to play Julia.

Did anyone else notice this?

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The trailers just gives you an idea of what the movie is about,

And even then sometimes they can be deceptive. For example, trailers have been known to make mostly serious films look like comedies and mostly action movies look like relationship movies. It all depends on which demographic any given trailer is aimed at. Case in point: the recent I Am Number 4 - some trailers/ads emphasized the romance between the two main characters, while other trailers/ads emphasized the action - and they were shown during movies/TV shows that fit the demographic they were hoping to attract.

304 days 9 hours 53 minutes 3 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Carter had red-hair.  Perhaps she has dyed her hair to play Julia.

Hmmm - not sure when her interview for that show was shot because King was on a talk show last week and said he had complete access to the film from shooting all the way through to the latest promotion. But for what it's worth I think you're on to something because her hair looks like it was red at the London premiere last Thursday. Check out this video: "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2" Red Carpet Premiere Highlights and pay attention to the first shot of her hugging someone at 34 seconds in...

304 days 9 hours 37 minutes 49 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Wait - I found these photos of HBC from the premiere:

Helena Bonham Carter in HBP London Premiere

Definitely red.  [ghost_wink]

304 days 9 hours 32 minutes 46 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Ooh, it's the hyper-intense, crazy Julia bedhead look from hoDS!!

G.