Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 716580 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Wow, I hope Kurt is in the movie!  They need a Chris/Joe/Jeff or otherwise attractive young male character like him in the film.

Have you checked out the other photo that Josh Turner recently tweeted (the link in in the upper right hand corner of the page). It looks like Turner could give the '04 pilot's Jason Shaw (Joe) a run for his money if they were ever to decide to use Turner as a model in an ad campaign for the Depp/DS film that would be similar to the one I posted back in '04 for the WB DS:

WB DS Ad Campaign?

[hall2_grin]

220 days 3 hours 34 minutes 51 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Does anyone here know if there's a cliff near any of the filming locations? I'm just wondering if it will be CGI.

Unless I'm mistaken, the Devon location had cliffs.

220 days 3 hours 32 minutes 17 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Have you checked out the other photo that Josh Turner recently tweeted (the link in in the upper right hand corner of the page). It looks like Turner could give the '04 pilot's Jason Shaw (Joe) a run for his money if they were ever to decide to use Turner as a model in an ad campaign for the Depp/DS film that would be similar to the one I posted back in '04 for the WB DS:

No, I hadn't noticed that picture, he is stunning, and so is his set design/sculpting!  And that poster...I could stare at it all day.   Too bad we didn't get to see more of that sweet 04 Joe Haskell.
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
Yes, $34 million seems rather conservative.  My lowest guess would be more like $50 million.

I suspect KLS actually underestimates the cost of filming the Depp/DS film because her suspicions would mean that it only cost about $34 million.

It's going to be very interesting when we finally do find out what the budget actually is...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
'Dark Shadows' Score Will Be 'Wilder' Than 'Edward Scissorhands,' Says Danny Elfman

Having never seen Edward Scissorhands, I honestly have no idea what to take away from that reference.

(And I also have no idea how people could answer the question 'Will Elfman's "Dark Shadows" score be another classic like "Beetlejuice," "Nightmare" or "Scissorhands?"' when they haven't heard it yet - and especially when he admits he doesn't even know for sure what it's going to be like...)

219 days 12 hours 29 minutes 43 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
multidyer Schultz & Wiremu
Dark Shadows officially finished all our equipment & materials returned and wrap party wrapped!
8 hours ago

Fi_zo Francisco Ignacio
@RealAliceCooper Hey, it's truth the rumor about you in the next Tim Burton movie? #AskAliceCooperSG
9 hours ago

RealAliceCooper Alice Cooper
@Fi_zo I do have a small cameo part in Dark Shadows. It's only a small part though, you could easily miss me if you're blind AND deaf.
8 hours ago

219 days 12 hours 15 minutes 46 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Hmmm - wonder how we missed this ClevverTV video from back in April:

Thomas McDonell Talks Upcoming 'Dark Shadows' Role

Not that he said much - but the completist in me likes to have as much as possible for us to see/read.  [hall2_wink]  And we may have missed it altogether if it wasn't for the following tweet which claims to link to the film's trailer - but, of course, it doesn't:

moviesserver Movie Server
http://trailer-release.com/dark-shadows-2012/ #darkshadows2012 #darkshadows2012trailer #darkshadows #darkshadowstrailer #darkshadowsremake
9 hours ago

219 days 11 hours 57 minutes 12 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
ROFL at Alice Cooper's tweet   [hall2_grin]   I look forward to that. 

The Edward Scissorhands soundtrack is one of the first movie soundtracks I ever purchased, and still one of my favorites to this day.  Saying DS will be "wilder" doesn't say much to me, since ES is anything but wild, IMHO (more of a sweet fairy tale, though there are a few darker sequences).  For me, Elfman is hit-or-miss.  While many folks loathe Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, I actually love it, and love the soundtrack, but I wasn't that keen on the soundtracks to Corpse Bride or Alice In Wonderland.  I'm crossing my fingers that the DS soundtrack will be a winner, and that it will incorporate enough of Cobert's compositions to make all us old fans happy.

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I'm crossing my fingers that the DS soundtrack will be a winner, and that it will incorporate enough of Cobert's compositions to make all us old fans happy.

I'm definitely assuming the original DS theme will be incorporated in some way--pretty hard to imagine them leaving it out!  On the other hand, I can also imagine a DS film still working without it.  For instance, NODS didn't use it.  (Of course, NODS was a different kind of project, taking place in effectively an alternate DS universe.)

What would be very disappointing for me, however, would be to leave out "Cue #2", which first was used over the opening credit sequence of The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and was later added to the DS music library and was used in pretty much everything else Cobert and Curtis did together, since it was Curtis' favorite cue (mine too!).

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Is "Cue #2" the music those of us who had the 1969 DS LP think of as "A Darkness at Collinwood."  I often think of that as "Barnabas' theme" because it so often played over scenes at the Old House when Barnabas and Julia were talking things over.

There was an article somewhere back in June, I think, where Burton or somebody claimed that the Elfman score would include at least Robert Cobert's classic title theme.

G.

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Is "Cue #2" the music those of us who had the 1969 DS LP think of as "A Darkness at Collinwood."  I often think of that as "Barnabas' theme" because it so often played over scenes at the Old House when Barnabas and Julia were talking things over.

Yes, that's it.  To me, it is the "most Dark Shadows" of Cobert's music, and my absolute favorite piece in all of the library.

I remember that I used to listen to the album a lot the first couple years.  We lived in a house that had very large picture windows on two sides of the living room, and one late summer afternoon I was alone in the house when a thunderstorm was approaching.  I was listening to the DS album with the door and smaller windows open, watching the world get grayer and darker, the air cooling and the wind building, and Cobert's fabulous music playing rather loudly on the stereo.  My idea of heaven!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
What a marvelous story, KMR.  I just love moments like that.

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
since depp alone earns tens of millions of dollars per film i'm sure 35 million is an enormous underestimation of the movie's total costs. the salaries of the main cast alone probably total more than that.

at the end of the day i'll bet were talking millions in triple digits in terms of the overall production costs.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Yes, I would be shocked if the budget weren't in the nine figure range, for a project of this stature, with the names involved.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I find it interesting that Burton wanted Elfman to keep the orchestra small.  This seems to give credence to the notion that Burton is really apt on re-creating the original Dark Shadows feel.  

I hope that the music isn't "wild".  But, rather, done in a similar vein to Cobert's music - bombastic, eerie, and recognizable.  Of course, this may be "wild" to modern audiences, so you never know.