Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 720297 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Thanks MB for the links. One on one interview with TB. There is an in studio shot of JD on Widows' Hill. http://www.mtvu.com/shows/ask-tim-burton/

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Oops - I missed this from yesterday, even though I'd swear the Google alert for it wasn't in my e-mail yesterday:

‘Dark Shadows’ producer: Johnny Depp was a ‘man on a mission’

3 days 8 hours 58 minutes 27 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
More articles:

Trailer Talk: This Week in Movies - 'Dark Shadows,'...

Next Factor: 'Dark Shadows' Star Gulliver McGrath
(Nice photo with JLM.)

Bella Heathcote of ‘Dark Shadows’ — Crush of the Day

3 days 6 hours 32 minutes 5 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
I think it's rather unfair to compare the DS film to something as massive as The Avengers. There is no way in hell that DS could ever hope to make as much money as The Avengers has made (207 million) in an opening weekend--honestly I would think that it would be a respectable showing for DS to make that throughout its entire US run.

The reason The Avengers has made so much money is simple: build up. Of course you have your comic book fans who are going to see it regardless, but think of how many people Marvel has brought in to their world with the numerous films--Iron Man 1 and 2, Captain America, Thor....and even as far back as the two Hulk films--all of which feed into this Avengers film. The sheer number of people that probably saw Iron Man and then were told "Hey, Captain America and Thor are part of that same story" or "they'll link up somehow" and then decided to go see it are staggering I'm sure.

While Burton, Depp, Pfeiffer et al are definitely box office draws, when you have something like DS which is admittedly difficult to market--not even the director knows exactly what genre it should belong to--and as such is being marketed in several different ways--from horror to comedy to drama and everything inbetween--the casual movie goer more than likely is going to be confused and think it looks stupid or, on the extreme other end of the spectrum, is going to be so intrigued that they will actually go and see it. More than likely it will be the former rather than the latter because, let's face it, the majority of the American movie going public are probably not going to like a film or want to see a film that is confused about its own identity.

And while we're facing things, it is also good to mention that when things are blown up in movies, that automatically pretty much guarantees a certain demographic of people are going to see it, just based on fire-y explosions alone.

Another interesting fact about The Avengers that I read somewhere is that both men and women thoroughly enjoyed the film, and while I'm sure more men than woman saw the movie, men rated it at an A+ while women who saw it simply gave it an A. Those are scores you can't argue with, in my opinion. And when I saw it over the weekend there were plenty of women--of all ages--in the crowd. More men then women for sure, but it was almost even in what I'll call a 60/40 for the breakdown. The film struck the perfect balance of character moments and spectacular action (yes, I saw it) and even had small moments from the female characters that your typical female audience probably appreciated.  I'll admit that DS has romance and supernatural elements, but as we've seen with the recent healthy crop of films and books that have been released within the past 10 years or so, those things together are more of a draw for a younger female audience than a younger male (or any male for that matter) audience, period.

Personally, I expect DS to do well for what the film is, and those who were involved with making it. Will it be another hugely successful blockbuster for Burton a la Alice In Wonderland? Only time will tell, but I doubt it. I think it will certainly make its budget back and gain a healthy enough profit to warrant a sequel should the studio even be thinking in terms of franchise.

With The Avengers only opening a week in advance of DS, I think its a guarantee that DS will come in at the number 2 position next week. Anyone who didn't see The Avengers this week (and you'd be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't at least know someone who did) will undoubtedly be heavily encouraged by their peers to go see it at some point this week, or over this upcoming weekend. In the weeks following the release of DS, I think the film will rely heavily on word-of-mouth to get people who may not be otherwise interested in seeing it into the theater. I've already reminded a few people I had mentioned the film to within the past couple of months that its actually coming out this week in hopes that they'll give it a chance.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Warner Brothers is already starting to run TV spots that include excerpts from reviews. I just saw one. But I won't say any more than that about it because reviews are to be saved until the next topic for the film gets started at midnight on the 11th...

3 days 3 hours 28 minutes 24 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
Well this is one male that hasn't and has no plans to see The Advengers. If I never see another "superhero" movie in my life it won't upset me.

Also keep in mind that The Advengers opened in more theaters than any other movie. Unless all movies open in the same number of theaters it's like compairing apples to oranges.
May you die before you want too.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Too bad this was not the logo used in the promotions.  Maybe in the film?

http://instagr.am/p/KTgbE5jnZz

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Interesting. More IMAX theaters for DS certainly won't hurt. But it may mean I'll have to see DS at a different time than I was planning on Friday. I suppose I'll see...

Thanks for the link, jimbo.  [ghost_smiley]

3 days 1 hour 54 minutes 54 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Tweets and photos from Warner Brothers:

Warner Bros Pictures ‏ @wbpictures
We're here at the #DarkShadows premiere in Hollywood - say hello to @jackieearle, who plays Willie Loomis! http://twitpic.com/9im9ey
10:03 PM - 7 May 12

The lovely Eva Green has arrived! Stunning as always. #DarkShadows http://twitpic.com/9imc93
10:07 PM - 7 May 12

#JohnnyDepp is here! The #DarkShadows star graces the black carpet at tonight's Hollywood premiere: http://twitpic.com/9imhg4
10:24 PM - 7 May 12

You're looking #kickass as ever, @ChloeGMoretz! Excited to have you at tonight's #DarkShadows premiere! http://twitpic.com/9immy3
10:42 PM - 7 May 12

3 days 1 hours 6 minutes 51 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
it would appear that barnabas is entombed in 1772(6) childless and without siblings. do we know who the "modern" collins family is descended from? a "new york branch" of the family?

I was playing around on the movie's website, and using the feature called "Collins Family Tree" you can drag and drop pictures of the characters to see how they are related to each other. If you use Liz as the hub and drag Barnabas to one of the points, the relation is this: Jamison Collins is Liz's father, Abner Collins is Jamison's father, Gabriel Collins is Abner's father, and then is says Joshua Collins Gabriel's father, or that's what it seems to imply. Perhaps Joshua and Gabriel are brothers?
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I'll put this in the spoiler tags, because I know some of you will put two and two together.  Chances are you will, so I'd recommend not reading it until after seeing the movie.  But I just have to brag a bit. 

[spoiler]I was right about Carolyn's secret.  [/spoiler]

That is all. 

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The Ellen DeGeneres Show: Johnny Depp - Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Tim Burton Talks Frankenweenie & Dark Shadows

3 days 0 hours 38 minutes 51 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
@davidselbycom: Photo you've been waiting for. Original series actors @ #DarkShadows premiere http://ow.ly/aLi4f

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)