Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 717008 times)

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
I do as I want to see if I know or have worked with anyone involved in the production.:)

And doesn't everyone say to stay till the end of the credits??

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
I usually stay till the end of all credits but I think there is a suprise in the movie.....

We are getting a Midnight showing here in about 20 mins from where I live. I am in shock!  I guess there is a demand for it. WOW!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
And if you want to avoid a lot more spoilers than that, don't read the link I provided.  It gives a good deal away, including an interesting note about a character no one imagined would appear.

a "note" about whom?

i didn't see anyone mentioned we didn't already know about. actually most characters are not even mentioned by name.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
never mind i just got it.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
HBC agains refers negatively to the o/s as a "...really crappy soap opera...". http://tbcollectivenews.blogspot.com/2012/05/bonham-carter-on-working-with-burton.html?m=1

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
so HBC doesn't like DS...

who cares?

just because we like it doesn't mean everyone has to.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I'll likely be open to almost anything happening in the film because I'm going to look at it as a completely separate version of DS. It's not the original show. It's not the '91 DS. It's going to be a fresh take, and as such, events and relationships are bound to have differences. And so long as what may happen and how characters may act makes sense within the film's own story and take on DS, I'm not likely to have a problem with it. At some point I might have a fleeting thought that the original so-and-so probably wouldn't have done such-and-such - but then I'll just remind myself that the film's so-and-so isn't the original so-and-so - and if I think whatever happens in the film is valid for the film's take on so-and-so, then I'll be likely to accept it.  [ghost_mellow]  That's how I was able to become such a fan of the '91 DS because I wasn't constantly comparing it to the original - I let it evolve on its own terms.  [ghost_wink]  What causes me big problems in the DS universe is when whatever might happen in a particular story/version conflicts with what that story/version has previously established. And so long as the film stays true to itself and the basic essence of the DS characters, I'll be quite happy.  [ghost_smiley]

6 days 12 hours 3 minutes 8 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
MB, that's exactly how I am approaching the film as well.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
i have a MAJOR question about "spoilers" after the film opens next week.

obviously we are not all going to the see the film on the same date and time. i imagine many of us will see it opening weekend but still.

so what does that mean in terms of us discussing specifics about the film? does every relevant plot point need to be hidden in the "spoiler box"? that's going to make for cumbersome posting.

is there going to be a topic specifically set aside where those of us who have seen the film can discuss it openly and those who have not yet seen it can just avoid until they have?

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
has it been mentioned already that it looks like thomas mcadonell has been removed from the IMDb cast listing?

there is a listing for a 'justin tracy' as "six year old barnabas".

what up?

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
i have a MAJOR question about "spoilers" after the film opens next week.

Your questions were addressed in this post from about a week ago.  [ghost_smiley]

The plan is that a "Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!" topic will be posted at midnight on the 11th, and that...

6 days 11 hours 10 minutes 10 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline usffan

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
As MB and others have said, this movie is just another version of Dark Shadows that some will like and others will not.  It doesn't in any way prevent anybody from enjoying any of the previous incarnations, much like Abraham Lincoln's appearance in Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter (or, for that matter, Abraham Lincoln's "appearance" in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure) don't change the legacy of his presidency.

For better or worse, I think the vast majority of our fandom have already made up their minds about whether they're enthusiastic about this movie or not, and based on everything I've read there isn't anything that's going to be done or said that's going to change many minds. Those who are unhappy continue to find things that make them unhappy.  Those who are gung ho are not going to be dissuaded.  Similarly, those who are looking forward to the movie continue to point to things that they think are positive, but they are not likely to change the opinions of the former. 

As for the latest points (and I'll put them all in spoiler tags just in case some view them as spoilers):

[spoiler]If the "character" in question is the werewolf eluded to, it's still a fairly large leap to assume that's Quentin (or Chris).  In one of the trailers they have a werewolf in the Scooby Doo episode they're watching. 

As far as the David line, I'm not as dismayed as others are about this.  In Forest Gump, the preadolescent Forest mimics the funny sounds the doctor made when he was sleeping with Forest's mom in order to pay for his leg braces.  Kids don't necessarily understand the context.  I didn't find that disturbing, while I did find the scene with the crucifix of a similarly aged Reagan in The Exorcist much more disturbing.  I have to at least wait to see the scene before I can get all that worked up about it. 

Finally, I presume the objectionable scene is the one of Julia performing oral sex on Barnabas.  While FAR more graphic than anything that could have been shown on daytime television when the original series aired, didn't a fair portion of the fandom want Barnabas and Julia to end up together?  It sure seemed like Julia had an unrequited love for Barnabas.  While in the original series they could not show her engage in such an act, it's not really so far fetched.  In the latest Mad Men, they showed a very similar scene that ostensibly takes place in 1966.  [/spoiler]

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
has it been mentioned already that it looks like thomas mcadonell has been removed from the IMDb cast listing?

there is a listing for a 'justin tracy' as "six year old barnabas".

what up?

Yeah, there's a brief discussion about it on page 277 from a day or two ago.  I don't think we really know why he was cut (both MB and I seem to remember hearing confirmation from McDonell that he did film his scenes), but it was probably decided that he wasn't needed :(

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
that's unfortunate for mcdonell to be sure. i though he was brought in, like miss moretz, to appeal to a "young" viewer.

funny we never heard a peep about yet another "young barnabas" before this. perhaps it was just decided that to make the character younger as an adult he needed to be very young at the outset rather than a teenager. [ghost_undecided]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
I checked McDonnell's own IMDB page the other day and DS 2012 is no longer listed among his credits.  Interestingly, he did do a movie called The Occult that's due for release next year.

I figured that he probably had just filmed a couple of scenes that might have been seen briefly in a montage type sequence about Barnabas's early life, but it would seem that his scenes wound up cut altogether.

As actors are well aware, this kind of thing happens all the time--an example that comes to mind is Barbara Steele's scenes in a movie called I never promised you a rose garden being cut.  And in the case of Grayson, only two of the four scenes that she filmed for End of the road made it into the final film.  Unfortunately, the scene that motivated Grayson to do the project was not among what was kept.

G.