Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 719889 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2011, 04:08:36 AM »
interesting to hear that such impressive sets are being built for the town of collinsport.

given the casting information we've been given thus far...and from the way the story has been plotted in previous incarnations...it would seem that most of the action was to take place on the collinwood estate. we haven't heard much about collinsport hoi pilloi like joe haskell,sam evans,sheriff patterson,etc. the main collins family plus vicki and julia seem to be the main players here so it will be interesting to see how the town is being used.

i can't wait to see it.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2011, 04:34:37 AM »
It's interesting that so far the only sets we know about are one interior, Collinwood's "huge Gothic entrance hall," and one exterior, "an entire New England fishing village using Pinewood's enormous outdoor water tank." Presumably there are more because the locations listing on IMDb for Pinewood Studios seems to imply all the interiors will be shot there. But who knows?

It's also interesting that the water tank at Pinewood comes complete with a green screen, so I've been wondering if the green screen footage DeanCleaverUK tweeted about seeing edited today may have involved the village set? Though there could certainly be other green screen work being done for the film as well...

359 days 0 hours 25 minutes 23 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

Offline Miranda

• Full Poster
  • Dit forum is het helemaal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2011, 03:49:25 PM »
Ohoh, if I tell my kids there is a countdown here to when the Depp DS movie is going to be released, they may roll their eyes and say, we are not going, Mom, LOL, and they love Burton/Depp movies,

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2011, 04:57:58 PM »
If your kids come into the room while you're on the forum, Miranda, just scroll the countdown off the screen.  [ghost_cheesy]

Changing reels: two things that aren't really directly related to the Depp/DS film but do followup on things we've talked about -

On the shifting of release dates front, here's a perfect example of what can happen: I've read recently that Universal is so pleased with the footage they've been seeing of Snow White and the Huntsman that they've pushed its release date up more than 6 months from when it was originally supposed to be released. Of course, in its case it has a competing Snow White film to deal with, and pushing up the release will now have it in play almost a full month before that other version comes out instead of after. (Well, unless the other Snow White's studio decides to retaliate by pushing up their release date, too.) But the change in release date also means that another Universal movie will now be coming out more than 6 months later than it was originally supposed to because Universal swapped SWatH's release with the new Judd Apatow comedy (I forget the name of it), which had been set for release on June 1, 2012 but will now come out on SWatH's original release date of December 21st.

And on another front, Thomas McDonell's Prom is well on its way now to making a profit for Disney because I noticed that late last week it cumulative take at the box office had already surpassed the amount of money it cost Disney to make the film. And as of Monday, it's cumulative take had already surpassed the film's cost by more than $1 million. And the film is still in play. And none of that takes into consideration its foreign box office take or the money it will make off its DVD/Blu-ray release. And Disney has already said that they're quite pleased with the way the film is performing (and is actually looking forward to the film's DVD/Blu-ray release because that's where they're expecting it to perform really well). All of which just goes to show that just because a film doesn't have a spectacular opening weekend and its pretty much forgotten a few weeks later, it can still make its money back and then some...

358 days 12 hours 2 minutes 2 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2011, 05:12:13 PM »
Yeah, film releases often get moved around a bit.  Rango's release was announced way in advance (like 2 years!) and did end up moving up by a week or two.  The Tourist was moved up from this spring to last Dec.  And though it was longer ago and my memory isn't the greatest, I *think* that Sweeney Todd was moved up from Christmas Day to whatever the previous Friday was (the 21st?)  So it can happen, though if they stick with the idea that this would be a "tentpole"-type summer movie, it'll probably stay in the general timeframe.  We'll see!

All morning I've been thinking of DS and how it might be filming at this very moment!  At long last-- it's a great feeling!

Cathy

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Here is a press release, that includes a plot precis:  http://eon.businesswire.com/news/eon/20110518005463/en/TIm-Burton/Johnny-Depp/Michelle-Pfeiffer

The plot as described: [spoiler]
In the year 1752, Joshua and Naomi Collins, with young son Barnabas, set sail from Liverpool, England to start a new life in America. But even an ocean was not enough to escape the mysterious curse that has plagued their family. Two decades pass and Barnabas (Johnny Depp) has the world at his feet—or at least the town of Collinsport, Maine. The master of Collinwood Manor, Barnabas is rich, powerful and an inveterate playboy…until he makes the grave mistake of breaking the heart of Angelique Brouchard (Eva Green). A witch, in every sense of the word, Angelique dooms him to a fate worse than death: turning him into a vampire, and then burying him alive.

Two centuries later, Barnabas is inadvertently freed from his tomb and emerges into the very changed world of 1972. He returns to Collinwood Manor to find that his once-grand estate has fallen into ruin. The dysfunctional remnants of the Collins family have fared little better, each harboring their own dark secrets. Matriarch Elizabeth Collins Stoddard (Michelle Pfeiffer) has called upon live-in psychiatrist, Dr. Julia Hoffman (Helena Bonham Carter), to help with her family troubles.

Also residing in the manor is Elizabeth’s ne’er-do-well brother, Roger Collins (Jonny Lee Miller); her rebellious teenage daughter Carolyn Stoddard (Chloe Moretz); and Roger’s precocious 10-year-old son, David Collins (Gulliver McGrath). The mystery extends beyond the family, to caretaker Willie Loomis, played by Jackie Earle Haley, and David’s new nanny, Victoria Winters, played by Bella Heathcote.
[/spoiler]
Jonny Miller Lee, btw, was Jordon Chase (a mastermind serial rapist/torturer/killer) on last season's Dexter as well as appearing as a lead in Dracula 2000.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I love Jonny Lee Miller. Loved him on ABC's late and lamented Eli Stone. Loved him in the many roles he's played in PBS' Masterpiece productions (particularly Emma and Endgame. I can't wait to see his take on Roger!

Thanks so much for sharing the press release, Zahir!

Interesting that the press release mentions Village Roadshow Pictures as one of the production companies doing the Depp/DS film considering that they were listed on IMDb only to be unceremoniously removed. But then, as we've lamented many times, God only knows what goes on over at IMDb?! Speaking of which, now who the hell knows why Jackie Earle Haley's name has been removed from the cast list on IMDb when he's quite obviously still a part of the film?!  [ghost_rolleyes]  But perhaps someone will come to their senses when they add Jonny Lee Miller's name to the list and add Haley back...

More interesting is how the Collinses come to be in Collinsport.

Even more interesting is how Julia figures into things.

And most interesting, the press release solves the governess versus waitress question. Finally!!

358 days 10 hours 23 minutes 35 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2011, 06:51:19 PM »
Oh wow, this press release is great and very detailed, thanks Zahir!  I'm surprised that we get so much detail (even though it's still just an overview) so far in advance.  Jonny Lee Miller- I hadn't heard a peep about him being in contention for this, but it's great that the role is cast.  I'm not too familiar with Jonny Lee and went to IMDb to check his roles, and now I realize where I know him best from-- this past season of Dexter. [Edited to add:  Zahir said this, clear as day!  Somehow I read the whole rest of the post without catching that, duh!  [ghost_rolleyes] )  He played a charismatic (but dangerous) motivational speaker, and he was one of the high points of a rather so-so season, so I'm sure he'll bring wonderful things to Roger.

So Barnabas is going to be a playboy, eh?  I can't wait  [ghost_wink]

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
This is huge news! Thanks too Zahir for the link. I am a bit disappointed that they revealed more than I wanted to know but a press release has to say something I guess. Variety seems to have gotten the waitress vs. governess question wrong the latter as MB pointed out. The publication was real stubborn about its position. Oh well today's a great day so let's celebrate DS.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The thing about Variety is that they would have gotten the waitress detail from a reputable source close to the film if not actually working for the film. God only knows how that source got it so wrong?! Well, unless the plot changed between the time the waitress detail was reported and today's press release was issued. But that seems unlikely because a detail like that would have changed so much of the plot. Although, perhaps it really is like Maggie. The press release does say that Victoria is David's new nanny, so there is a very slight possibility that Victoria was working as a waitress, perhaps even in Collinsport, because she couldn't find a suitable tutor/nanny/governess position, but then the position at Collinwood came up. That would be different from the original DS and the '91 Series where in both Victoria was brought to Collinwood from NY. But then, Julia's initial placement is very different from what we've seen before. So who knows? Time will tell...

358 days 9 hours 52 minutes 6 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

Offline neiljohnson

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Details in the press-release are interesting.  Among other things, it sounds as if there will not be an Old House.  If the Collins Family are recent immigrants in 1795, then Collinwood (not the Old House) would be their original home in America.  Hmmm.  I wonder where Barnabas will claim to be living when he arrives in the 1970s?

Also, no mention of Professor Stokes.  Someone will need to play the role of "occult expert," otherwise, who will figure-out Barnabas's secret?  Perhaps Julia, but HBC has indicated her role is a small one.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I am a bit disappointed that they revealed more than I wanted to know

Well, there were a couple details that they probably didn't need to say. Most of the release simply spells out relationships and puts characters in context. But just in case there are people who would rather know as little as possible when it comes to those couple details that WB probably didn't need to mention, I've put the quote from the release in Zahir's post in a spoiler. Honestly, I wouldn't think most of us would consider anything about what WB says to be a big spoiler, but now everyone can read it at their own discretion.  [ghost_smiley]

358 days 9 hours 21 minutes 48 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
I'm so glad that this is a quiet week for me at work [ghost_grin]  I've been mulling a few things about the plot synopsis.  Ah, as I've been typing this, there have been some more posts, and I realize that perhaps I should include spoiler warnings just to be safe.
[spoiler]
1) I guess the inclusion of Thomas McDonnell now makes sense, as there will presumably be a scene(s) in 1752.  This also means that there will be a Joshua and Naomi-- will they do the duplicate casting trick that they did for the show, or will there be separate actors cast?  I'm guessing the latter, but who knows?
2) Counting ahead 20 years, it's a little interesting to me that this part of the film will now take place pre-Revolutionary War.  I don't know why I find that interesting, but I do :)  But this makes the math fit very nicely by counting ahead exactly 200 more years.
[/spoiler]

Don't think that spoilers are needed for these two points ;)

3) Did they spell "Brouchard" wrong, or did they change her name?
4) I'm still enjoying the playboy angle ;)

Cathy

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I first read the article when I received the google email alert. I was surprised that it revealed what it did. Now I have the need to know more. lol I assume that many details were left out ie... Josette's character, the fact that vampires are not suppose to age when buried alive explanation etc... I guess the opening scene will for the first time not be the governess arriving by train.
On the other matter perhaps Variety will have something to say on this waitess issue but I won't hold my breath.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
So nice to see you posting, neiljohnson!  [ghost_smiley]

Among other things, it sounds as if there will not be an Old House.  If the Collins Family are recent immigrants in 1795, then Collinwood (not the Old House) would be their original home in America.

That seems likely, especially considering that Barnabas is[spoiler]master of Collinwood Manor[/spoiler]when he's cursed. And the fact that there might not be an Old House makes me even more curious as to what Collinwood will look like. As I've said, IF they were to go architecturally accurate for the period, and  IF Collinwood was built between 1752 and 1780, it would most probably be in the Georgian Style. But then I come back to the Gothic entrance hall set - and that is most definitely not something that would fit with Georgian. Though there is a possibility that such a set could fit with the Early Classical Revival style of 1770 and beyond (up to 1830). But even that's not 100%. Though the varying styles of Tudor would still fit if the Collinses wanted to build in the style of England rather than the New Wolrd...

It's going to be very interesting...

Hmmm.  I wonder where Barnabas will claim to be living when he arrives in the 1970s?

If there is no Old House, it definitely complicates things for 1972 present.

Also, no mention of Professor Stokes.  Someone will need to play the role of "occult expert," otherwise, who will figure-out Barnabas's secret?  Perhaps Julia, but HBC has indicated her role is a small one.

I would think Julia is still the one to figure things out. But who knows?

358 days 9 hours 1 minute 0 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!