Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 720977 times)

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
Barnabas Collins Billboard at 23rd Street and Park Avenue
http://www.flickr.com/photos/93779577@N00/6926262158/
If you click on the link you can see more (and better) pictures...These pictures were NOT taken by me, so thanks to the photographer

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
I read the review Jimbo mentioned.  No direct link but it's on this site:

http://www.aintitcool.com/

Although it is technically spoiler free, it *is* a review of the movie.Depp, Pfeiffer, and Moretz all get high marks. 

It seems as if the characters of Angelique and the original-concept Burke Devlin have been combined here, interestingly.  Angelique is described as a "literal witch" who "uses boardrooms as her cauldrons."

cheers, G.

[Direct link to the article:  http://www.aintitcool.com/node/54989 --admin]

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Okay, is that David Selby in his cameo role as the man holding a champagne glass behind Michelle/Elizabeth?
Yep.  [easter_grin]

And Lara Parker's hand holding the other glass.  [easter_wink]
Well, humph.  Just how did they rangle an invitation to a Collins party, with free champagne flowing no less?  (And notice those just ain't the plastic glasses with the stems pushed into the bases - they're the real thing!)  Just who do you hafta schmooze with around here to get an invite, that's what I'd like to know!

Gerard

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
It seems as if the characters of Angelique and the original-concept Burke Devlin have been combined here, interestingly.  Angelique is described as a "literal witch" who "uses boardrooms as her cauldrons."

Ah-ha!  I said in an earlier post that, from the trailer, it looks like the characters of Angelique and Burke were combined.  I thought that was brilliant on the part of Burton (or whoever), if it was intentional, appearing that someone did their homework.

Gerard

Offline neiljohnson

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Jimbo, Gothic, and others -- that review is amazing.  Please, let it be accurate.  Wouldn't it be wonderful, if the film really is that great?  I'm a little tired of hearing one story (it's funny), and then another (it's scarey) -- sorta feels like getting jerked around, albeit unintentionally.  I can't wait to see the film, and I want to have confidence that it is good.  I don't want to walk into the cinema with a feeling of dread.  Thanks for sharing the review.

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
I was just watching Beetlejuice and I never thought of it before but Winona Ryder has Barnabas bangs in it.
May you die before you want too.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I was just glancing over the new issue of EW and I see that the photo of Barn and Liz is featured on the Summer Movie Calendar - and that Chloe Moretz has not one but two films opening on May 11th: DS, of course, and Hick (which premiered in Canada at the Toronto International Film Festival back in September) in limited release and VOD.

27 days 3 hours 50 minutes 22 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Thanks neiljohnson, Gothick and the board. That was the most promising review to date. I am tired as well of all the mixed signals we have been getting. I certainly hope its accurate. My heart can only take so much. I just wonder what took him so long to write his review. Perhaps there were more test screening we are unaware of.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Interestingly, this Web site is saying that the 1st 60 second TV spot is the UK trailer for the film:

UK Trailer For Dark Shadows – Not Quite Confessions Of A Witch’s Lover, But Getting There

And the voiceover at the end does at least reveal that what they have is a UK version.

They also believe DS "is going to play (even) better in the UK than the US" - and who knows - that may turn out to be true...

And speaking of the 1st 60 second TV spot, I haven't forgotten about continuing to post better quality videos of the remaining spots. It's just that for the past three days I'd been pet sitting for a friend who went out of town and I didn't have an opportunity to continue to post such videos. But I'm back home now, so something will probably show up this weekend...

27 days 2 hours 41 minutes 17  seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I just wonder what took him so long to write his review. Perhaps there were more test screening we are unaware of.

Or perhaps he attended a press screening? Those will certainly begin very soon if they haven't already. Though if that is the case, his review would actually be jumping the gun rather than being late because it's pretty early to be posting reviews...

27 days 2 hours 36 minutes 48 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Reviewers are usually embargoed from giving reviews until a certain agreed-upon date, usually around the time of the film premiere.  Sometimes the embargoes get broken, and I'm not sure what the penalties are for that.  Sometimes, I imagine the studio would refuse to let the ones who broke them attend future advance screenings.  But sometimes, a major site breaking the embargo (especially if it's a positive review) creates so much MORE buzz for a film that I start to think it's kinda sorta accidentally on purpose publicity  [easter_grin]  In this case, ain't it cool probably skirts it a little by trying to pass it off as more of a description than a formal review (and it doesn't hurt that it's very positive- I know that I myself am thrilled by what I read!)  But they probably don't want to start doing this TOO early!

I saw on the JD Zone that the actual press event for DS will take place May 5-6, and the premiere is at Grauman's on the 7th. 

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
gosh remember just about two months ago we were complaining that there had been NO publicity for this thing?

we were just going on a half dozen or so stills.

my how things have changed... [easter_shocked]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
the 1st 60 second TV spot is the UK trailer for the film

I just saw where Stuart's DS News Blog is saying that the UK promotional campaign has just begun with the unveiling of that trailer, so that would pretty much prove it's true since, unlike most of us, Stuart would be in a position to know.  [easter_wink]

26 days 13 hours 5 minutes 10 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Yet another magazine article, this one is the June 2012 of Sci Fi. The article doesn't really cover any new ground but there is a very intriguing picture of Michele Pfeiffer holding a shotgun. Guess it's more effective than a fire poker.  [easter_shocked] [easter_grin]
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Thanks so much for the heads up.  [easter_smiley]  And -

Michele Pfeiffer holding a shotgun. Guess it's more effective than a fire poker.  [easter_shocked] [easter_grin]

- yes, indeed.  [easter_cheesy]

26 days 10 hours 40 minutes 35 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!