Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 720895 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Love the set design for Julia's lab.  It's so lusciously theatrical as are so many of the key sets in this opus.

Funny that Angelique doesn't appear at all in this one.  Haven't a clue why not since she is so important to what we've been told about this story.

Thanks so much for the captures, MB.  The images whizz by far too quickly otherwise. 

BarnaDepp looks as if he is wondering "what sort of claret cup is that?" as he watches the people (in the Blue Whale?) eating ice cream sundaes.

G.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Thanks so much for the teaser. I like it very much and I am glad that it shows the differenct aspects of DS.  That is why so many people and including me  are trying to get people to understand.  I think Tim said it best..."it like a mixture of six different movies."  As for the pilot, I do agree this is a much cast.  Although, I did really like Marley as Victoria and I liked her Tipi Hederin look as well.  I thought she was smart and I hope to see it released on DVD.

I think it looks like Roger is kissing Angelique.  The hair looks too blonde for Bella Heathcote.  Perhaps Roger and Angelique is another nod to the original???

Very happy maybe this will calm down a lot of the so called "purists"

Gothick...I agree it looks great in fact all of the sets and costuming are simply amazing and I think HBC (although I was against her at first) will be a hoot. 

If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
to me the woman with roger doesn't look like any of the main female characters.

some floozy he picks up on the docks, perhaps? a victim for barnabas?

it looks like i was correct in that barnabas funds the restoration of collinwood as well as the cannery. those jewels must turn up.

and the ubiquitous miss moretz is absent too. this spot must have been aimed at an older audience.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I think it looks like Roger is kissing Angelique.  The hair looks too blonde for Bella Heathcote.

Though the hairdo as the woman tumbles back onto the desk looks more in the style of Liz (not that Angelique can't wear her hair in a similar style at some point) and if it is Liz, well... But so far as plot goes and what we've been lead to believe about Roger, I can see him somehow being involved with Angelique.

46 days 3 hours 27 minutes 57 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
this spot must have been aimed at an older audience.

Apparently is was also meant to attract the demo that watches basketball. And the really interesting thing is that every other film spot today was for a film that will likely primarily appeal to young males (Prometheus, Battleship, Wrath of the Titans, and Lockout- all either Sci-Fi or Action films or ones that combine both). And as far as regular commercials go, it was all beer and cars and hardware and tractors and more beer and more cars and investments and trucks and more beer and more cars and sports bars and car insurance and more beer and more cars and...

46 days 3 hours 16 minutes 28 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The peanuts:

Thanks so much for the link.  [snow_smiley]  And at least that one is in 16X9, and though it's not available in 1080p, at least it is in 720p.

It seems odd that if Barnabas has that coffin in a room somewhere that he would also be sleeping in a linen closet and a cardboard box.  [snow_huh]  But who knows - perhaps all that takes place before he has his coffin...

46 days 3 hours 9 minutes 55 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
This latest trailer (for TV) certainly does give a different, darker perspective of the movie's approach.  While it's obvious from the original theatrical one that there will be humor (and, perhaps, a great deal of it, but none of it I, at least, find offensive but realistic), it appears that there will be a more gothic, horror-prone atmosphere.  I hope that tries to soothe those who think Depp/Burton have taken our beloved DS and turned it into a big-budget Weekend at Bernie's.  I am so looking forward to this movie.  I've got at least a dozen friends, only one of whom was a DS fan, all excited and planning a DS-film-going party and outing. We want to make an all-day affair of it and are trying to figure out what we want to do (go out to eat? - have a DS BBQ at one of our homes? - maybe watch my video of HoDS? - watch episodes on youtube? - specialty drinks?).  A friend of mine, one of my best friends ever, absolutely loathed DS and would make fun of me for being a fanatic.  Now he can't get enough of looking up every youtube or other on-line video, asking me lots of questions, etc., all because he saw the original theatrical trailer when he taped Ellen's show at my request.  From my experiences, the original trailer, which many films have villified (and thus villified the film), is now creating a new fan base who want to know about the original.  And the movie isn't even out yet - this is just from the trailer.  The other night, I brought over my Best Scenes From DS videos to a couple of my friends' house and they watched them.  If I had shown them pre-trailer, they would've stilled rolled their eyes.  This time they sat in silence, mesmerized.  When they saw the clip of my favorite scene ever - when Judith reads Grandmamama's will to her stunned sibblings and watching their reactions - my best friend who use to loathe DS could only say:  "That's brilliant."  And all of this because of the first trailer.

Maybe what Depp/Burton did will be brilliant.  I know I can't say that yet (as those who are mortified can't say all this has proven to be a original DS disaster), but we'll see.  I still love, love, love the scene where Barnabas goes bonkers over watching a TV broadcast of the Carpenters singing I'm On Top of the World and his reaction.  I would've loved to have seen a scene of him doing that in the original (maybe dealing with Bewitched or The Munsters [imagine his reaction to Grandpa]), or maybe a scene of having him react to Willie showing him how to use a zipper on his Robert Hall suit he donned when he decided it was time to introduce himself to the family as "a cousin from England."  "What demonic, magical machinization is this?"  Really, is that any different from the '91 series when Abigail reacted to the instructions for cleaning Victoria's dress - "Machine wash; tumble dry?"  As much as I found the '91 remake lacking from the original, having them react to the few 20th century things Vicki possessed were not only comical, but comically true.  It made more things far more realistic even when humor was used.

Gerard

Offline petofi

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
Something along the lines of a one-minute commercial just aired on Mad Men on AMC.  It is somewhat different than the others, [spoiler]Elizabeth is voicing over the origins of Barnabas at the beginning, and at one point Angelique says, "No one talks like you anymore, Barnabas."  Finally, Barnabas asks Carolyn how old she is, and after she replies that she is 15, he says, "Fifteen!  We must put those birthing hips of yours to good use!"  These quotes are as close to accurate as I can recall.[/spoiler]

Petofi

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile

Offline usffan

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
The third and final spot from the weekend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWK3wSVLShI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

[spoiler]I guess that ends the mystery of whether (at least) Elizabeth knows Barnabas' secret.[/spoiler]

Sigh...

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
And I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing.  I always felt it would be interesting if she knew...  And one could very well think that she did in the OS. 

1897 spoiler ahead:
[spoiler]If Edith didn't die before she told the secret, it would surely have been passed down to Liz... unless something happened in the interim.[/spoiler]

Plus, I think it's good that all three of our power players (Barn, Liz, Angie) are on the same page... especially considering the time constraints of the film. 

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I agree, Cousin_Barnabas. In fact, I think it's going to make Barnabas and Liz' relationship fascinating.

Thanks for posting the link.  [snow_smiley]

45 days 21 hours 40 minutes 25 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Of course!  I was so excited about the UNCANNY bite scene!  If that doesn't make fans of the original happy, I don't know what could... 

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The function of a trailer is to create interest in a project, which the first trailer certainly did. It generated a lot of discussion (free advertising) and made the trailer far more memorable than a more traditional spot would have. Is it any worse than the low rent Karloff narrator from HODS inviting audiences to come see how the vampires do it?

I love that this movie has a sense of humor. Having characters who are witty and intelligent can make the film more enjoyable. Clever dialogue was one of the best elements of Buffy. The repartee between Steed and Mrs. Peel is often more appealing than the story lines.
Fade Away and Radiate