Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 723948 times)

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
This is no offense to you I just always address her as Victoria.

Haha.  No offense taken.  I just like all of my ingenues' names ending in the "long 'e'" sound: Vicki, Maggie, Daphne, Tracy...  It makes it so easy that way.   [snow_cheesy]

Quote from:  joe integlia
i was set to go to the advance screening yesterday til it was postponed. i am going to go on wednesday. it is not for studio heads.

So glad to know that we have confirmation.  Thanks, Joe.  I guess my sources were pretty credible after all.  [snow_smiley]

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
That's a very astute observation, Gerard.  [thumb]

Thanks, MB!  If my suspicions are true, I think it would make a very good twist on the DS story in the film.  Picture a miffed Angelique, spending 200 years plotting her revenge against the Collins family for what just one member did to her.  She builds up her material power (with a bit of help from her supernatural power) over time.  She goes from being a servant girl to maybe a hopeful author of romantic authors while living with other young women and becomes successful sometime in the 1840's, and then as a southern belle following the Civil War marries a young entrepeneur to take over his lumber business and turn it into a major construction company, and in the 1940's she opens a small restaurant and turns it into a raging success (okay, so I'm borrowing from earlier sources, but didn't DC?) until by 1972 she is the owner and chairwoman of the largest aluminum-and-plastic Christmas tree corporation in America, now ready to make her move against the Collinses.  But to muddy the waters, Barnabas is back and he's royally miffed at her and wants to defend his family, so she's torn between revenge and love/lust and wanting to do the largest corporate takeover of a family in order to decimate them until Carnival takes over Cunard, Princess and Costa.  And look at what Costa's done to Carnival so there you have the makings for a great fiasco. 

There just might be far more DS stuff in this movie than anyone of us could possibly expect.  I'm more than willing to give this film version its chance.  Besides, I still find the whole TV Karen Carpenter thing hilarious.  And I find it far more realistic than Barnabas knowing how to open a car door minutes after Willie released him from his coffin in HoDS. 

Gerard

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
Just got back from The Hunger Games and there were three trailers and there was not real reaction to any of them. Oh, I wasn't at all impressed by The Hunger Games.
May you die before you want too.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
one gets alot of interesting reactions, and blank stares, when one announces "oh, but this witch runs a fish cannery". [snow_rolleyes]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Rumor has it that there is a new television spot which features Barnabas cramming himself into a box of styrofoam peanuts. 

And I didn't think the situations could get any worse than the ones in the trailer...  I'm going to wait til I see it, but if that doesn't sound like spoof material, I don't know what does.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
After DS is out a few weeks we will know how it worked.  No one can go by reactions in theaters in my opinion.  Most people thought 21 Jump Street was stupid. I thought the trailer was stupid and I thought it would suck and it may to me; however, there is a lot of great reviews and people are saying it's great.

We will see more on after the first week because you know the first weeks returns will probably be the people who are open to DS and the others who are interested....
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
i don't know that it's a "spoof" or a "parody" but it's definitely a dark comedy.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline neiljohnson

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
A box of styrofoam packing peanut?  Just what we need, another "groan" moment.  Hope is draining away.  What a disappointment.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Rumor has it that there is a new television spot

Needless to say I haven't come across that TV spot yet (because I would have shared it) - and I've DVRed quite a few shows this past week. In fact, I was going to ask today if anyone has seen any TV spots for the film since Sunday because I haven't come across any since the one that ran during Once Upon a Time on Sunday. I've only seen things for Salmon Fishing in the Yemen and 21 Jump Street (no surprise as they're currently playing), and  The Hunger Games (certainly no surprise since it opened this week), and Wrath of the Titans and Mirror, Mirror (no surprise as they open next week).

I guess my sources were pretty credible after all.  [snow_smiley]

And perhaps you should have more faith than to refer to their info as nasty rumors.  [snow_wink]

47 days 12 hours 29 minutes 9 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline usffan

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Rumor has it that there is a new television spot

Needless to say I haven't come across that TV spot yet (because I would have shared it) - and I've DVRed quite a few shows this past week.

Actually, I saw a commercial for it during one of the college basketball games yesterday, and I noticed that it contained at least one new scene with Barnabas standing in a street as a car whizzes by him.  I also noticed another scene that showed Barnabas looking in from outside a window while hanging upside down.  I do not remember a scene dealing with styrofoam peanuts. 

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Ah ha - the basketball games were not something I've recorded - but I'll certainly start to starting today.  [snow_wink]

Thanks for the heads up, usffan.  [snow_smiley]

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
Great new image (click on it to enlarge):

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2012/03/23/dark-shadows-on-set-exclusive-johnny-depp-tim-burton-back-in-black/#/2

I'm surprised nobody commented on this quote from the article...

That connection doesn’t exist with young moviegoers today, however, and the producers of the new movie aren’t going to encourage anyone to check out the originals because, well, it wasn’t, technically speaking, a great show. “I think,” Burton said evenly, “you could say it was actually awful.”

We all know classic DS had its flaws and technical issues but jeez, did he have to call it "awful?" :(

TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
And perhaps you should have more faith than to refer to their info as nasty rumors.  [snow_wink]

MB, they are very nasty to me, because I can't confirm them!   [snow_cheesy]

Actually, I saw a commercial for it during one of the college basketball games yesterday, and I noticed that it contained at least one new scene with Barnabas standing in a street as a car whizzes by him.

I also heard this.  Supposedly the packing peanuts come at the tail end of the commercial, so it may be a different spot from the one you saw.  But, it's just another nasty little rumor...  Because I have no proof of the existence of this particular part of the ad!  [snow_cheesy]

I'm surprised nobody commented on this quote from the article...

That connection doesn’t exist with young moviegoers today, however, and the producers of the new movie aren’t going to encourage anyone to check out the originals because, well, it wasn’t, technically speaking, a great show. “I think,” Burton said evenly, “you could say it was actually awful.”

We all know classic DS had its flaws and technical issues but jeez, did he have to call it "awful?" :(

I don't think any of us were too shocked to read that.  Now that we have seen scenes from the film and have heard like remarks from other people.  I wholeheartedly disagree with Burton on that issue, even if he was just referring to the technical aspects.  I go through dozens of episodes at a time without noticing anything that is so terrible that it draws attention away from the story.  Yeah, they are bloopers.  But for 1,125 episodes, they are really rather few and far between.  More than anything, you hear flubbed lines or see wandering eyes.  But that doesn't make the show awful.  It just makes it more authentic.   [snow_wink]

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
*1,225 episodes, rather! 

Ah ha - the basketball games were not something I've recorded - but I'll certainly start to starting today. 

Yeah, I guess we have to look all over!

And has everyone seen the final display?

https://twitter.com/#!/search/dark%20shadows/slideshow/photos?url=http%3A%2F%2Fyfrog.com%2Fmmhokaj

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I had not seen that - thanks so much for the link, Cousin_Barnabas.  [snow_smiley]

People were all up in arms that there was nothing to promote the film - but now look - there are all sorts of promotional tools. Warner Brothers isn't exactly sparing any expense.  [snow_wink]

47 days 9 hours 2 minutes 43 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!