Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 717436 times)

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
Penny - I like the first half of the trailer and would have loved it if the movie had that tone thoughout.

Anyway it seems that you can pre-order the soundtrack on CD at a discount. I think I want to hear it first.
May you die before you want too.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
I add my thanks to the mods for keeping things sane here  [snow_cool]   Some of the other sites have gone nuts, and while I'm just a lurker in most of the other places I'm treading lightly. And I'm not even in one camp or the other!

borgosi, do you recall where you saw the soundtrack preorder info?  I have been looking on Amazon and haven't seen anything yet (unless I'm searching wrong).  I don't necessarily want to preorder it- like you, I'd like to at least hear samples first, which can usually be done before a CD is released, but I am curious as to what will be on it (ie., Alice Cooper, T-Rex, Barry White?  Or is it just Elfman's score?)

Edited to add- oh, maybe this is it- I searched music only instead of all departments, and sorted by release date:
Amazon - Dark Shadows Soundtrack

Though the description is pretty vague so far and doesn't even confirm it's the film soundtrack, and the price isn't really what I'd call a discount but I'm a cheapskate!  [snow_cheesy]  But I imagine the price will drop by the release date, as often happens.  I'll keep an eye out!

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
The info I saw is at http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com/ I was hoping for more as well.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Thanks borgosi!  So, they describe it as Elfman's score (I do wonder, though, if at least Alice Cooper's part will be included in the soundtrack).  I'm still not sure I agree with the "discount" description, though- that's a pretty standard non-sale price! ;)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Fans, for anyone interested, this notice was posted last night on the Classic Horror Film fans board.  By the time I saw it, the podcast was already in progress so I did not bother to post here.  There was a notice I saw just now saying that they are going to make Pierson's segment available as a downloadable or streamable podcast on the site, http://www.cultradioagogo.com.  The blurb:

8 PM PST / 11 PM EST - We begin our 2 hour segment / open forum on Dark Shadows and the new film which just had the trailer revealed this past week. Dark Shadows community leader / convention organizer / author / new film consultant JIM PIERSON has just agreed to come on our show tonight as well. It should be an interesting night discussing the.. events at hand.

If you get a chance to listen, our DS segment will be on from 8 pm pst (11 pm est) until 10 pm pst (1 am est) and may go over if things get too in depth.  You can listen LIVE for free by going to www.cultradioagogo.com (end of blurb)

There was also a post saying that (the rest edited by admin)

I haven't had time to listen to Pierson's segment and I imagine it will just be the usual spin-a-thon.  But if anyone does bother to listen, I'd be interested to read your notes.

Best, G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
i don't think the music used in a trailer even necessarily has to end up in a film soundtrack.

it's just capturing a mood. the barry white tune used in the DS trailer is just heightening the 1970's sensibility for the purposes of marketing.

i wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't even end up in the final soundtrack.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
Just making a guess here but I would expect them to release two CDs one with the score the other with songs from...

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
i think we should be extremely cautious about repeating a rumor (simply a reference edited by admin).

emotions are heightened enough as it is without incendiary gossip.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I wouldn't say that that Amazon sale price is particularly good either. Sale prices for single disc CDs in places like, say, Target are normally between $9.99 and $11.99. And they don't charge shipping when you buy in-store.

Changing the subject, I finally got around to creating a video of the DS film's segment on Thursday's edition of Extra. I'm trying something different because I didn't like the quality of the Flash video that I'd created back for January's ET segment, so this time I'm going with QuickTime. The video could play in your browser because it has in several browsers I've tried in both Windows and Linux. But with others your browser may ask you to download the file.

Extra_2012_03_15_19_30_05.mp4 (8.9MB)

In Depp's first segment, I suspect people will find his comment to be quite enlightening. And it really could be that the way they've gone with the film was exactly because they didn't want it to be anything like Twilight. A few years back I theorized that the reason the script was taking so long "to get right" was because they wanted to make it as different from Twilight as possible. But I never suspected that they wanted to make it as different from Twilight *and* the original DS.

53 days 11 hours 23 minutes 2 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I've removed two references to an unsubstantiated comment apparently made elsewhere. Without a source for the actual comment there's no way of knowing if it was taken out of context or even if it was actually said.

53 days 11 hours 13 minutes 19 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Well, frankly, regardless of how I feel about the new movie, I think Burton is pretty much hardly to blame--in my own eyes.  Given what has been reported here of what they're saying about him and his work elsewhere.  I am not on this sites and am blissfully ignorant of all of it--and rapidly losing interesting in keeping up with any of it.

I think Radcliffe would make a great Barnabas, say ten or twenty years down the line.  If anybody wants to do DS again after the release and box office performance of the Burton-Depp parody.

If the parody really takes off and does huge b/o, I don't really know that anyone would want to bother doing another take on the old story.  but then, who knows?

G.

[edited by admin]

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
considering the blistering reactions nearly everything depp and burton have done in association with this project have gotten since the get go i'm sure they'd like to distance themselves as much as possible from the concept beyond promoting the film at hand. and i'm sure even that will be an unpleasant experience.

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
My hope for this movie and all of us reel ( ;-) DS fans was a new take on the movie that would be a scary gothic love story that would make huge money at the box office. We would then get many more DS movies.

My fear is that either this movie won't make enough money and no one will risk their money to make another DS movie or it will make enough money and we'll get a series of comedies, each more over the top than the one before it. I don't know what would be worse. I really don't think fans of this comedy would find much to like in the original.

Right now I just hope it turns out now the be the comedy the trailer makes it appear to be, but I don't see how it could not be if it is released with all of those bits in it.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile

Offline Richard

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Note how the script writer uses extreme logic -- the new film has to be either a comedy at one extreme or a chamber piece with organ music at the other extreme -- to justify his inability or refusal to write a straightforward Gothic horror film. I disagree with the bias that the traditional approach is out of date. The traditional approach is precisely what people have been hoping for and looking forward to. THE WOMAN IN BLACK (2012) proves that a straightforward period Gothic horror film is still viable and very much in vogue.

The truth is Depp and Burton are one-trick ponies. They know how to make a parody. Every film they make together is a parody. So Seth Graham-Scott wrote a parody because that what he was commissioned to write. His reasoning in that interview is just spin.

Richard