Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 721470 times)

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
What I don't understand is how Johnathan has allowed himself to be associated with this.

Didn't Frid call DS fans "nitwits" in his last sit-down interview? I don't think he holds the show in the same regard as most of us.
"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

Offline patrickm

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
I've been quiet about the new movie - looking to keep an open mind til I saw the finished product before judging. But now that the trailer has been released, I'll put in my two cents....

I have to hand it to Tim Burton for totally surprising me on what looks to be a comedy. To be honest, I was dreading something like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - weird, but not in a good way - more like ick. Or a souped up special effects mess like The Matrix. I was expecting something along the lines of Sleepy Hollow. The trailer looks more like Ed Wood meets Young Frankenstein. Don't get me wrong, I love both those movies - plus I've been spending most of my time here in the captions area - like I did in the old Sci Fi boards lighter side - so finding comedy in Dark Shadows comes naturally to me. But I do it out of love.

The first time I watched the trailer, I was like uhhhh uhhhh uhhhhhh..... just pretty much at a loss for words. After watching it a second time however, I think it might be growing on me. So I just need to get my head around Dark Shadows being portrayed in a humorous fashion. Our club will be attending the premiere on May 11 - even getting new club t-shirts made. So good, bad or indifferent - we'll be there.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I can't believe he tweeted this:

Chris Mullen
@Darkershadeofme
Check out the trailer for #DarkShadows which I worked on for most of last year..! http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/darkshadows/

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
From watching the trailer I think it's a safe to say that Collinwood, it looks like Scoobywood, burns. One could say that this is a PT storyline that leads up to Collinwood of 1995 in which the house was in ruins. That would also explain why this Barnabas isn't smart enough to keep his cool when he sees and TV and ask Willie about later.
May you die before you want too.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I can't believe he tweeted this

Why? I'm confused. What am I missing?  [snow_huh]

55 days 8 hours 33 minutes 58 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Because now all the hate-filled fans can spam him.  I guess he is unaware of the rift this trailer caused in the fandom.  And while it's Tim Burton's fault and not the trailer guy's, putting himself out there makes him a target of the overzealous.

I knew I could share it here, because I think everyone knows better than to do something like that.   [snow_wink]  But, after thinking about it, I think you should remove that post in case some people stumble in from the outside.  Because there may be some people who could spam him with hate.  And I don't want that for anybody. 

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
Yeah, I think (from what I've heard him say) he really means people who go off the rails.  Kinda like what you will see on some boards around the internet when some fans declare they "cried" when they saw the trailer that's how much it upset them.  That is a little disconcerting to realize a trailer would drive anyone to that point . . .

Didn't Frid call DS fans "nitwits" in his last sit-down interview? I don't think he holds the show in the same regard as most of us.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Because now all the hate-filled fans can spam him.  I guess he is unaware of the rift this trailer caused in the fandom.  And while it's Tim Burton's fault and not the trailer guy's, putting himself out there makes him a target of the overzealous.

But he isn't actually responsible for the trailer - he only worked as a production secretary on the film. Several of his tweets have been posted in this topic.  [snow_smiley]

55 days 8 hours 9 minutes 25 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I was reading it wrong!  I thought he said he worked on the trailer last year, not the film!  D'oh!  Twitter grammar.   [snow_cheesy]  Thanks for clearing that up, but you may still want to remove his ID in my post... just in case.  I'd appreciate it!   Thanks! [snow_smiley]

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
Why would it be disconcerting? Some people really love the original show, it means alot to them and they were expecting a movie that would honor it. Not a movie that appears to make fun of it. This show is like an old friend to many people. Would you say that about someone that saved a favorite stuffed animal from childhood and cried when it was destroyed? I cried when I found out my mom threw out my movie poster collection and I had just returned from the first Gulf War.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
What's funny is that I was reading a movie site (with no particular loyalty to DS, Burton *or* Depp) this morning, and the vast majority seem to think the trailer looks great.  This even included some who haven't liked some of Burton's recent efforts.  So maybe the marketers or whoever is behind this actually succeeded more than we think they did at making a trailer for the masses.  Of course, in Depp and DS forums, I am still seeing responses all over the map.  I haven't had a chance to watch the trailer at all today, but I am still feeling somewhere in the middle about it, probably liking it more than most DS fans and less than most Depp fans.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I was reading a movie site (with no particular loyalty to DS, Burton *or* Depp) this morning, and the vast majority seem to think the trailer looks great.  This even included some who haven't liked some of Burton's recent efforts.  So maybe the marketers or whoever is behind this actually succeeded more than we think they did at making a trailer for the masses.

I suspect they have - especially considering that so far as I've seen the entertainment media Web sites that have done pieces on the trailer have all said it works. And as with every film, the goal always has been to attract as diverse an audience as possible to the film.

55 days 6 hours 38 minutes 31 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
Let's face facts, if they say trailers don't work they would end up without a show. These shows are made to promote movies. It's extremely rare, if ever, that they say a trailer or movie doesn't work.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
With adulthood comes perception from having been around, working to pay bills and most likely been around enough to see many unfortunate things near and far.  I know that three years of little or no income and dealing with skin cancer did a lot of prioritizing for me.  Working  with the homeless who have nothing and the Red Cross has opened my eyes over the years.  I love DS, a friend I love dearly created the original role of Barnabas but I am not about to get upset or otherwise worked up over how the new Barnabas turns out.  I may not like it but I won't lose sleep or cry about it.  There are real people with real problems in the world and no matter how much I like a show or actor, in the scheme of things it's not that important.

During my years of little work, I lost my storage shed in auction.  It had a treasure trove of things from childhood and personal things.  I wanted to cry at first but instead remembered I had bigger problems. 

And those who hate the new DS will always have the original to watch

Why would it be disconcerting? Some people really love the original show, it means alot to them and they were expecting a movie that would honor it. Not a movie that appears to make fun of it. This show is like an old friend to many people. Would you say that about someone that saved a favorite stuffed animal from childhood and cried when it was destroyed? I cried when I found out my mom threw out my movie poster collection and I had just returned from the first Gulf War.