Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 722743 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
I'm not trying to be rude or anything, so please don't think I am, I'm just curious as to where this opinion stems from.

You weren't rude at all.  Sorry to see that a polite request for clarification was taken personally.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I just picked up the Dark Shadows edition of HorrorHound, and I have to say I am very impressed with everything I have seen so far.  While I have only read the Tim Burton interview, the layout of the Dark Shadows Retrospective is fantastic!  And there are additional Shadows-related features:  One on Dan Curtis and one on Christopher Lee.  So, head down to Barnes and Noble and pick up your copy today!

Now for my impressions on the Tim Burton interview...

I have to say I was very satisfied with what I read.  Like MB pointed out earlier, the full article really puts everything into perspective.  His answers are very clear, and I can totally see where he is coming from.  While I was not completely overjoyed by everything I read, I was very happy about several things and walked away very content.   

In fact, the interviewer even comes right out and asks him if Shadows is a "Gothic Comedy."  (This is important, as we didn't have that exact wording before, and now [with the new description] it takes on a whole new level of importance.)  We have seen part of his answer before, but the full answer really makes much more sense:  He wants to avoid labels.  WB probably doesn't, however, and that is why we are getting this discourse.

While I encourage everyone to go out and buy the magazine to read the full interview, I am going to post this excerpt here, as it is something which was mentioned before, but not in its complete context.

HH: The original music of Bob Cobert in the series was like a secondary character and a major part of the show.  Will that music be used by Danny within the new film's score?

TB:  The original music of Bob Cobert is definitely a vibe.  We talked a lot about that and I am sure you'll be hearing a flavor of that.  We haven't recorded yet, but I agree that the score was a character, so definitely a part of that in some way shape or form.  I doubt you'll be hearing 'Quentin's Theme' though.  Sorry about that.

So my question, for discussion purposes, is what exactly do you think Burton means by "hearing a flavor of that?"  Do you think that the main theme and other elements will be incorporated?  He didn't deny the use of "Dark Shadows" or "Josette's Music Box" whereas he came right out and said that we wouldn't get "Quentin's Theme." That, of course, makes sense since there is no Quentin.  But maybe not mentioning either of those two other themes, when they are mentioned throughout the issue, is an indicator that we will be able to hear them...  I sure hope so!

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
It's the best set of pictures I've seen so far.
Josette

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I hope you weren't thinking I was taking what you said out of context, I didn't think it was an attack at all, I was genuinely curious as to how you formed this opinion. A lot of the times people (not you, but everyone) will post an opinion but not elaborate on where it came from or why they think so. I was just hoping you'd explain.

Arashi thank you for the clarification. I don't believe you were rude or I would have said so in my initial response. I now have a better understanding of your original post. I stand by my response as constituted and I disagree with Midnite's second sentence in her post. I have always enjoyed our previous conversations and I hope that continues in the future. Be well cousin.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Perhaps my concept of time is different from other people - but with regard to two recent things that have been mentioned it certainly seems to me that more time has passed than should have been expected.

For one, IF that French news report really did say back on the 7th that the trailer for the DS film would reach the Internet in a few days, apparently it only reached so far as French Web sites because obviously none of us have seen hide nor hair of it. But then the source for that remark/supposed translation is the IMDb, and given how questionable the info imparted over there can sometimes be, perhaps we'll just chalk up the apparent lack of a trailer to that.

On the other hand, one would presume that the writer for the LA Times' Hero Complex Web site would know what he's talking about. But even though he tweeted on the 2nd that their world exclusive DS set visit piece would be appearing "next week," it has yet to show up and certainly more than a week has passed. I wonder what's up with that?

58 days 8 hours 59 minutes 59 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
BREAKING:

Trailer debuts on ELLEN Thursday!

http://ellen.warnerbros.com/2012/03/ewan_mcgregor_-_thursday_march_15_2012.php

Well, thank goodness!!!  And thanks Cousin for the news!!  If this is so, perhaps we may even get a little sneak peak beforehand, like today or tomorrow (like sometimes, Entertainment Tonight or similar show will show a few seconds of something that will debut a day or two later).  I still want a poster, though  [snow_angry]    (Greedy me!)  [snow_cheesy]

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
That would be fantastic, madscntst!  I hope we do get some sneak peaks!  I shall be on the lookout! 

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Trailer debuts on ELLEN Thursday!

Excellent news! Now who cares what that French news report might or might not have said!  [snow_cheesy]

And it's interesting because Ellen was actually the first place to break the first Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 trailer. Apparently Warner Brothers is using her popularity to promote their big films. And why shouldn't they? After all, her show has excellent ratings.

Thanks so much for this news, Cousin Barnabas.  [snow_smiley]

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport
Awesome find, Cousin Barnabas! Much thanks for the news!!

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
THanks for the news Cousin Barnabas! So excited!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
If this is so

I think we can believe it's so because not only is it on her Web site, I just discovered that the news was also in this week's Ellen e-mail newsletter, a copy of which I received late Sunday night, but I'm always so late at checking my e-mail that I didn't come across it until just a few minutes ago. Sorry about that. Bad, bad MB!  [embb]  But the only important thing is that thanks to Cousin_Barnabas we know now.  [thumb]

perhaps we may even get a little sneak peak beforehand, like today or tomorrow (like sometimes, Entertainment Tonight or similar show will show a few seconds of something that will debut a day or two later)

At the end of yesterday's shows none of them mentioned that they would have the trailer, which is something they have done when other trailers or even snippets of trailers were going to be on the next day's show. However, that may mean absolutely nothing in this case because all the shows are still completely obsessed over Whitney Houston and her daughter, so that's all they've been promoting period. But we shall see. And if something does pop up, no matter how short, I will post it...

The show to possibly keep an eye on besides ET and AH is Extra because, like Ellen, it's also produced by Warner Brothers TV.

Of course, now I'm wondering if the trailer will show up in theaters on Friday?

58 days 8 hours 40 minutes 49 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Thanks Cousin_ Barnabas for the find of a jewel news!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Sorry folks, by saying "if this is so", I didn't mean that I doubted it was so!  [snow_wink]  I guess I meant "this being the case..."  Anyway:

Bad, bad MB!  [embb] 

LOL!   [snow_clown]

Of course, now I'm wondering if the trailer will show up in theaters on Friday?

On IMDb, someone was just speculating about The Hunger Games.  Hmm.  Also, I really doubt it would debut with 21 Jump Street because the genres are so different, but Johnny does have a cameo in the movie and of course there is a lot of history there, so, ya never know.  (It's not WB, though- is The Hunger Games?)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
The trailer is 2:24 and rated PG. Originally from IMDb discussion board http://www.albertafilmratings.ca/recentclasstrailers.aspx