Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 717090 times)

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile

And that's about all I'm willing to say at this point because the article should really be read/digested in its entirety in order to grasp everything that Burton has to say.  [snow_smiley]

And this is how the KLS pictures should have been presented to us, instead of all of these entertainment news sites picking up every single picture!  Thank you for not spoiling it, MB.   [snow_cheesy]

Anyway, I am kind of disappointed in my local BN, as I went today expecting to see the new issue, after reading you had received yours, only to find they are still stuck with all of their copies of January's issue!  I hope they get it in by the end of the week, as I am anxious to read what the article has to say - Plus I really want that cover art!

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
I received my copy of the movie book this afternoon, haven't had time to read it yet, just basically skimmed through it. There are a lot more pictures than those released by KLS, mostly of the original cast with the new cast.

[spoiler]
There is a picture of Jonathan Frid looking at photos of the various sets, there is no mention of the Old House, either in those photos or anywhere else in KLS' write up that I saw, but that's not to say it isn't there (and I think it would be sad if it wasn't.)
[/spoiler]

There is a lengthy section devoted to the 91 series, which was nice, though I can't recall if it was in the DS: Resurrected Book or not and don't have it here to look up. There was a pretty good size section devoted to the 04 pilot as well, considering it never aired. The TV show stuff and the HODS and NODS stuff seems to be a retread of what was published in other books, including KLS' HODS making of diary published in the other book, that was a bit disappointing, but I guess to be expected, what could really be new to say about it?

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Thanks for the review, arashi.  I am glad not all of the photos were leaked.  I will go ahead and order the book... in the near future.   [snow_wink]

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
The sets, especially the foyer, look too big. I'm afraid I'll miss the close-quartered, cloistered feel of the original series Collinwood; cozy to near claustrophobic.
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
That's a very odd shot of Helena as Julia... thanks for that link.  I wonder if this is supposed to be the morning after the costume ball.  I assume there is some kind of ball or costume party because of the previous photo with BarnaDepp and Liz both wearing Tim Burtonesque versions of 18th century clothing. Perhaps it will be a different scene from the one with the original cast members and Alicia Cooper.

Julia looks propped-up drunk here, and her hair is falling...

The Spoiler button seems to have disappeared again... I had a spoilery speculation about the new Vanity Fair photo of Julia, but it will have to wait (or perhaps be posted in the spoilers thread even though it's just my own perverted speculation) until the Spoiler button reappears...

cheers, G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The spoiler button is still there - it's just that it looks different in SMF 2.0 than it did in 1.1:
... but the big change is that we have a spoiler feature again. It's different than our previous spoiler feature in SMF 1.1, though the way to read spoilers is pretty much self explanatory.

The button to look for in the BBC Code icons is this:

And it's also possible to make a custom title for the spoiler. For example...

As for the foyer, all the descriptions that we've heard of the sets, from when they were first built to when KLS and Lara Parker talked about seeing them for the first time have said that they're huge so it shouldn't be too surprising that the foyer looks big in the new photo. Though honestly it doesn't look as big as the foyer was in the '91 Series - but that could simply be because we're only seeing a portion of it in the photo. If we'd only gotten a shot of the staircase in the '91 Series' foyer, it wouldn't have looked as big as it was either.

Also, as far as the window goes, people might be on to something about how the window is such a prominent feature of the set. Though as far as the what's on the other side goes, it looks to me like the backdrop only goes up the window about two thirds of the way and what we're seeing at the top could possibly be whatever is actually in the studio on the other side of the set's wall.  [snow_undecided]

65 days 10 hours 32 minutes 54 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
That's what I was thinking about the window, MB.  But it's still a strange color on the other side.  Plus it just hit me that it kind of looks like a boat!   [snow_cheesy]  This nautical Collinwood is enough to make one seasick - and that may be a good thing!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
New images of Tim's concept art.  Scroll down to the bottom!

http://screenrant.com/dark-shadows-images-concept-art-sandy-157897/

And Collinwood looks just like Seaview (from what I can tell) in that one drawing! 

And there's Angelique's very racy dress. 

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
And Collinwood looks just like Seaview (from what I can tell) in that one drawing!

Looks quite a bit more gothic than Seaview (at least, figuring in the details we've seen via the photos of the actual facade).  But definitely a fantasia on Seaview's basic shape.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
It's hard to tell, but it looks like Collinwood might have more than one tower, which would be interesting. But who knows how much Rick Heinrichs followed Burton's concept and how much he added of his own ideas. We'll certainly see. And I'm hoping we see sooner rather than later because practically from day one of the announcement of the film I've been dying to know what the exterior of Collinwood will look like. Though the sketch may answer one question we had back in July, Cousin_Barnabas - it seems like the tower(s) will (each) have a conical roof. Though given that the sketch seems to also have castle-like features, it's also possible that as you said the tower(s) might also have battlement features. And if so that would really make the film's Collinwood an amalgam of Seaview and Lyndhurst.

Notice that Barnabas' cane is also featured in the exhibit.
Thank heavens Depp doesn't look quite as bad as that sketch of Barnabas. Talk about scary!  [snow_cheesy]
And thanks for the link, Cousin_Barnabas.  [snow_smiley]

65 days 8 hours 27 minutes 48 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
That's what I was thinking about the window, MB.  But it's still a strange color on the other side.  Plus it just hit me that it kind of looks like a boat!   [snow_cheesy]  This nautical Collinwood is enough to make one seasick - and that may be a good thing!

By squinting a bit at it, what I gather the backdrop might be is the tops of a few trees, some clouds in the lower part of the sky, and the dark sky above those clouds.  The bright on the upper part of the backdrop is just reflection of the light that seems to be above and behind the backdrop.  I'm quite sure we're seeing the set from an angle that is much lower than what the window backdrop is dressed for.  (Before looking more closely at the window, I could have sworn that the entire picture was a pre-production computer graphic; parts of it just had a fake look.  But that's probably just because of the muted color palette and file compression of the image.)

In regard to the size of the foyer, it's kind of hard to tell by just this one angle and no people on the set for reference.  As MB has said, it's probably no bigger than (and maybe even smaller than) the foyer in the '91 series.  It's almost too cartoony-gothic for my taste, but I'll wait until seeing the final film before judging it.  The feel that the shot of Willie and Barnabas gives is just perfect, IMHO.  And other details we've seen indicate that Collinwood was designed by an architect who was told by the Collins patriarch to incorporate elements having to do with his love of the sea, and to just go to town with it.  And go to town he certainly did!

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
But who knows how much Rick Heinrichs followed Burton's concept and how much he added of his own ideas.

Since Heinrichs has been involved with many of Burton's projects, it's probably hard to say.  I'll bet they're both on the same wavelength in regard to certain concepts, and that's why they work together so often.  Heinrichs also designed The Wolfman (2010), which I saw very soon after I heard he was signed on for DS.  I was very, very pleased with the production design of that movie (about the only thing I was pleased with...), and it gave me a lot of hope for his work on DS.  The Wolfman doesn't have the Burton flavor, but the Collinwood foyer certainly does.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
You're preaching to the choir as far as Heinrichs' work on the The Wolfman goes. People here probably got sick of seeing me point out how many of the people working on the DS film had worked on that film and how much I had enjoyed their contributions to it.  [snow_cheesy]

65 days 8 hours 12 minutes 18 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
The set reminds me of "The Haunting" remake. A house I love by the way, I also love the house in "The Wolfman". I have no idea who did the sets for "The Haunting".

I like what I've seen of these sets, there just not Collinwood, IMHO. That doesn't mean that I won't like the movie only that Seaview will always be Collinwood for me.
May you die before you want too.

Offline neiljohnson

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Did anyone notice something strange near the bottom of the Julia Hoffman photo?  There appears to be a styrofoam cup with a straw on the floor next to Ms. Bonham Carter.  I doubt this was one of the movie props.  Probably the actress's drink of Coke or something.  Unlikely it was intended to be in the photo, but who knows?