Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 716525 times)

Offline mm#7

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Thankyou for the link to see the pictures. I like them. I am really hoping that this movie will be enjoyable. We have to give it a chance. Hopefully, there will be a trailer soon. Its less than 10 weeks now till it opens.

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
on the other note there are several people on FB who already have copies of KLS's new book in their hands.

not sure where they ordered it.

If you order from Pom Press by midnight Monday (so Tuesday morning) KLS will send you a signed copy and a signed photo. She got her copies early and has already started shipping them out.

Granted I've already got her signature 3 times, including once where I didn't want it, I just wanted the 8x10, but she signed it anyway and then looked at me like I was crazy when I told her not to sign the other one. Some people just collect the pictures!  [snow_grin]

The new pics look cool and the fashions are OH SO DATED that it makes me both cringe and rejoice at the same time. Wow.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
thanks arashi,

she's doing a book signing in new york on april 2nd. i'll probably pick it up then.

incidentally she must have gotten to the person who was putting all the pictures up on FB because they've all been taken down.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Though the scans are still up on tumblr. I suppose the reason KLS asked that they be taken down didn't actually get through to the person and that person figures KLS isn't likely to find them there.  [snow_rolleyes]  Or the person is being defiant regarless of what KLS would want...

67 days 12 hours 11 minutes 22 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
mysterious,

in regards to the 1991 series...it was before the internet(or at least it was in it's infancy)and way before sites like FB...

so where/how were opinions/comments about it made available?

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Back in the pre-Internet Dark Ages of fandom fans shared their comments in such fanzines as World of DS and Inside The Old House. Mostly ITOH because Dale Clark did extra issues because he received a lot of official photos and so many letters.

Check out this topic in which I shared examples of some of the stuff that was written:
First up, some random quotes that might have some of us scratching our heads once we realize that all of them were indeed made without having seen so much as a 10 second clip from the pilot

Believe it or not though, back in '90 the old online service Prodigy already had a thriving DS community moderated by Melody Clark (who once worked on ShadowGram with Marcy Robin and who also co-wrote the DS Companion) and Sam Hall and DC's assistant Debbi Smith often interacted there with the fans with regard to the '91 Series.

67 days 11 hours 35 minutes 52 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Well, now it's looking like KLS has her work cut out for her trying to keep those three photos off of the Internet because now Web sites like comicbookmovie.com are starting to pick them up:

First Look at Original DARK SHADOWS Cast & Alice Cooper with Johnny Depp

67 days 10 hours 42 minutes 19 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
yes the original poster, whom kathryn personally asked, has taken them down...

but many others have put them up on FB. they're in the public domain now. there's no turning back.

really she should have expected that. [snow_undecided]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Well, there was a time when DS fans wouldn't have ever thought of uploading scans of photos from a new PomPress book because they respected copyright. But, in general, disrespect of copyright has become epidemic on the Internet since the last time KLS published a DS book, so I suppose she shouldn't be surprised - though I don't know if she should have expected it. Perhaps she actually thought that DS fans respected her too much to do it. But apparently that's not the case. And apparently they don't care that they could be losing her book sales because, if those three photos are the only photos in the book connected to the new film, people who are only interested in photos connected to the film or in photos of Depp could actually decide not to buy the book when the scans are readily available online. And somehow I suspect that KLS believes those photos are a selling point of the book, so something tells me she's not exactly happy that they're transversing the Internet.

67 days 8 hours 47 minutes 38 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
I'd really like to hear from someone, preferably a seasoned fan from these boards, as to whether the new book really does have some rare, good quality photos we haven't seen before.    I'd still like to browse the book before I spend good money on it.

G.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
There will be piles of rare photos you've never seen before.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
in terms of the new film it's the same three or four photos that are making the rounds.

so if that is all she has to offer in the book she might hit a snag. although there is of course the text.

to give people the benefit of the doubt i bet many people posted the pictures with innocent intentions. i don't think copyright law is the first thing that pops to mind when people post things on FB. perhaps it should be but it's not.

after all the 'vanity fair' and other earlier shots have gone up without incident.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
to give people the benefit of the doubt i bet many people posted the pictures with innocent intentions. i don't think copyright law is the first thing that pops to mind when people post things on FB. perhaps it should be but it's not.

Probably true. Though that's hardly a valid excuse. It certainly wouldn't be if someone chose to go after those people the way others have been gone after. Just because the Stop Online Piracy Act is dead there are still laws like the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, and that could and has been used to get people's Facebook memberships revoked.

after all the 'vanity fair' and other earlier shots have gone up without incident.

Yeah - but with Vanity Fair they know there's much more to their April issue than the four DS film photos, and regular buyers of the magazine won't even be thinking of such things when they go into a store to buy a copy. (Plus from what I'm gathering, the three photos of the woman show more in the actual issue than the scans online do (and the only one we seem to have seen so far is the Julia photo).)

67 days 7 hours 47 minutes 27 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Thanks Darren!  I'm much more interested in good photos of folk such as Thayer David, Grayson Hall, and Clarice Blackburn than I am in production stills from the new movie.  After all, from what I understand, there will be an entire book devoted to the Burton-Depp movie's production history, and I'm sure that the illos will be lavish.

G.

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
I don't know about KLS book but I do understand some recent photo finds have been uncovered.

I'd really like to hear from someone, preferably a seasoned fan from these boards, as to whether the new book really does have some rare, good quality photos we haven't seen before.    I'd still like to browse the book before I spend good money on it.
Julia99