Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 719590 times)

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
That's a novel idea.  But I think the only possible renaming we will see will be the addition of an auxiliary title, such as:

Dark Shadows: Curses of the Past

That would help set up a franchise, but it is not necessary in the least.   

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
over on FB KLS cannot stop stirring the pot.

she KEEPS putting up the new vanity fair image of depp and asking for "thoughts".

needless to say the responses are resoundingly, overpoweringly negative. what i have found most disturbing, heartbreaking even, about this film is how much "fans" want NOT to like it. HATE it in fact. it's taken on a life of it's own. it's an unstoppable lynch mob. it's scary and gross.

EVERYTHING is subjected to the same relentless nitpicking. first it was the pallor. then it was fingernails. for a few days it was sunglasses. now it's these new images.

what the hell do these people want? a line for line rehash of the original?

i'm baffled beyond words. [snow_sad]

sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
slight update...

miss scott herself became so disgusted with responses she got she vowed NEVER to ask for opinions on the film again.

nice going "fans". [snow_sick2]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
the responses are resoundingly, overpoweringly negative. what i have found most disturbing, heartbreaking even, about this film is how much "fans" want NOT to like it. HATE it in fact. it's taken on a life of it's own. it's an unstoppable lynch mob. it's scary and gross.

EVERYTHING is subjected to the same relentless nitpicking. first it was the pallor. then it was fingernails. for a few days it was sunglasses. now it's these new images.

Quite sadly though, as I've said before, this isn't a new phenomenon in fandom. We saw it to practically the same degree with the '91 Series and to a lesser degree with the '04 pilot. And probably the only reasons that it was to a lesser degree with the pilot was because with the pilot it was announced in late December '03 and by mid-May '04 we knew it wasn't going forward. But with the '91 Series it was announced in January '90 and didn't debut until January '91, so there was a full year of seemingly endless and often outrageously irrational complaints as actors were cast and photos trickled out. And though there were complimentary remarks being made as well, they were quite often drowned out by the complaints and the criticisms of the people who found things to compliment.

what the hell do these people want? a line for line rehash of the original?

It's funny that you ask that because it's quite often the people who profess that they don't want to see a complete rehash who then complain the loudest about the least little things that get changed. There's really no possible way to win with them.  [snow_sad]

68 days 6 hours 50 minutes 42 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
slight update...

miss scott herself became so disgusted with responses she got she vowed NEVER to ask for opinions on the film again.

Well, in a way that's good to hear.  [snow_smiley]  Though it's also more than a bit sad that the situation got so out of hand that she felt forced to make that type of decision...

68 days 6 hours 49 minutes 40 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
on the other note there are several people on FB who already have copies of KLS's new book in their hands.

not sure where they ordered it.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
and scans from the book are going up...

and KLS is asking that they be taken down. [snow_wow]

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
slight update...

nice going "fans". [snow_sick2]

I wonder if they were as bad as this...
http://ontheflix.com/2012/03/03/johnny-depp-spotted-as-super-awkward-looking-vampire-in-new-dark-shadows-movie-pic/

Because that is by far one of the weirdest descriptions of the look yet and it's the newest featured article on the IMDB DS page.  Has this person never seen Nosferatu...  After thinking about the content of her post, I retract that question.   [snow_ghost]

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Well... at least we now have (pretty decent) confirmation that those test trailers were legitimate.  Disco ball, anyone?

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
those are the picture that went up on FB.

one can assume that they are from the party sequence. which i guess is no longer a "costume party" but some sort of formal event. in that getup lara parker is really channelling mrs.schyler rumson.

and jonny lee miller is SERIOUSLY channelling louis edmonds.

are these from the new KLS book?

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
the cooper cameo is one thing that i've long objected to.

it's too literal and campy.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Whoa!  *jaw drops*

I really wasn't prepared for JLM's neon-blond wiglet.

Maybe the party is for Carolyn's birthday this time around?

And once again, who fails to show up?  Bella Heathcote!  Is *her* role to be a cameo?

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
BarnaDepp for some reason keeps making me think of Theda Bara, as drawn by Charles Addams, with manicure by the same person who did Streisand's nails in the Sixties.

Very curious now to hear what he *sounds* like in the role.

G.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Very curious now to hear what he *sounds* like in the role.

I hear it's a very sultry Angela Lansbury.  J/K  [snow_smileydevil]  I dunno...  We shall see.  Hopefully he will have a very deep, poetic tone.