Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 717206 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I finally got my hands on a copy of FANGORIA #311 this past weekend but I didn't get a chance to read the DS article until this morning. I'm not going to say too much about it because I think it would be unfair to the magazine to say too much while the issue is still available for sale. But I will say I really liked what I read - particularly how Grahame-Smith said that sometimes the film is "very scary" and that "campy" is the wrong word to describe the funny elements in the film. He also said that he's already seen the film a couple of times, and even though there are funny elements, bloody elements, some very classic horror elements, and grand Gothic soap opera monologues, it all works together. And like michael c, after reading the article I definitely came away with the belief that the film is not intended to be a comedy.

If you haven't read the article for yourself, you should definitely get a copy.  [snow_wink]

73 days 11 hours 58 minutes 14 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I can't imagine Warners attaching a DS trailer to it, but that might explain why we have been hearing about so much comedy...  We shall wait and see.

It would definitely be nice to have some sort of a trailer by Friday. But I don't know - I still have a feeling that this Friday might be too early for what Warner Brothers meant when they apparently told Jessica Dwyer that the  trailer will be out in March. Though I guess we'll see...

73 days 11 hours 49 minutes 31 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Thanks MB for posting some of the Fangoria article information. It does sound much more promising. I do need to find myself a copy. I guess part of WB's marketing campaign will be using the shock and awe methodology to make up for loss time. I can't wait to see the huge highway billboards. I am going to need to concentrate my eyes on the road though which will be difficult.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
From another source this was posted on Twitter 5 hours ago. I assume this is pertaining to DS. Dark is good.

London Brass‏@andylondonbrass

Here at air studios working on Danny Elfman score. Very dark sounds. All contra this and that Trumpets going out of fashion!

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
The "Fangoria" article sounds encouraging, MB. I plan to see the movie primarily because of the original cast members who are in it ... but it would be icing on the cake if the movie captures something of the original series.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
I haven't read the Fangoria interview but I can't believe someone that worked on a movie would say anything against it before it was released.
May you die before you want too.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Well, I suppose I can see where someone could perhaps have a healthy skepticism when it comes to Grahame-Smith's remark that all the different elements in the film work well together. It's true that he's not likely to say that they're awful together. And saying they work well together is a subjective reaction - and one coming from someone who worked on the film. Taking a wait and see attitude there could be prudent. However, I don't see any need for doubt when he says that "campy" is the wrong word to describe the funny elements in the film (after all, he wrote them, so he knows what he intended and, as someone who has seen the film, he's also seen how the lines have been delivered and the scenes have been played/edited), or that along with the funny elements there are also bloody elements and some very classic horror elements. People are more than willing to wholeheartedly believe that when those connected to the film say it's funny, they're being truthful - so I don't see any need for doubt that when Grahame-Smith says the film is scary, bloody, has moments of classic horror, and it's not campy, he's not being equally truthful.  [snow_smiley]

73 days 4 hours 28 minutes 3 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
I read one of his books ( A.L. Vampire Hunter ) and really didn't care for it. I hope that he is better than he was. I hope he proves me wrong about him. I hope I love this movie. Only time will tell.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
i hope you like it too.

i simply cannot tell you how much i hope you like it.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
Well I hope you like it too.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I can relate to fears about Seth Grahame-Smith - I had them myself when he was first brought on board. But since that time I've read things regarding the script that have helped to calm those fears. And the more I've read, the more confident I've become that it's quite possible that his script gets things right. Though that's not to say that it won't be different in some ways from the original series. But we were warned from the outset that changes were going to be made. And whether we feel they should be made is immaterial when TPTB feel changes are necessary to make the film more accessible to a broader audience. And who knows, they may be right. Certainly if the film is a hit, they'll think they were right.

But getting back to the point that the more I read the more confident I become that it's quite possible the script gets things right, there's more to the Fangoria article than I've already mentioned. In fact there's a whole section explaining the script's development process. And reading that was some of the most interesting and reassuring stuff I've read yet regarding the script.

72 days 10 hours 52 minutes 18 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
London Brass‏@andylondonbrass

Here at air studios working on Danny Elfman score. Very dark sounds. All contra this and that Trumpets going out of fashion!

Sounds promising. Thanks for sharing the tweet, jimbo.  [snow_smiley]

72 days 10 hours 48 minutes 1 second until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
For me it is a big negative if the entire family is aware of BC's secret. As it is I am trying to cope with alleged things like BC yawning upon his discovery and the comedic dialogue.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Then, there is this account, which counters the slightly positive thoughts I was getting yesterday. This was linked from a recent discussion on imdb.com. I'm not sure if someone has posted anything about this yet. Some of the imdb.com comments thought this sounded great. To me it sounds horrid beyond belief.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/debbiedowner/news/?a=55054

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
I agree, Philippe.  I really hope the entire movie is not written as those dialogue excerpts imply, but at this point, I feel very neutral about the whole thing.

G.