Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 717091 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Thanks also for the explanation on how the reviewer possibly recalled the dialogue in great length. That would give the reviewer more credibility.

Though keep in mind that that may not be the case with the consumer survey the person took with regard to the DS trailers. Quite honestly I wouldn't do business with an outfit that allowed people taking a consumer survey to get copies of the video I was testing, no matter how likely it was that only people savvy enough to know how they could get copies could do so. I'd want to do business with an outfit that doesn't allow anyone to get copies, no matter how savvy they are. And there are ways to make certain no one can get copies. So one would think that these outfits would be smart enough to use them rather than possibly open themselves up to irate customers finding out their test videos are ending up on YouTube or being shared via torrent software.

78 days 5 hours 35 minutes 14 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
I noticed Barnabas' long, scary Jerry Dandridge-ish fingernails in the high res scan -- creepy!

(And I'd like to add my thanks, MB, for the new background -- supah dupah creepy!)
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
"Young Frankenstein" had great sets and costumes, it even has some of the original labs props, and it was completely out of line from the original Universal Frankenstein.

That was meant to be a parody from the beginning, borgosi.  We have been told this is not.

Yeah, they don't allocate budgets to how serious a movie is.

Yes, because that is clearly what I meant...

What I was saying is that I find it hard to believe that Burton and Co. would go to such lengths to recreate the look of the original and then not recreate the feel.  It's possible.  We'll see.

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
If what we're being told about these trailers is true, and I'm hoping it isn't, this has to be a parody. Nothing of what has been reported has the feel of the original IMHO. We won't know until we see the trailer.
May you die before you want too.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Gawd.  This Mrs Johnson looks like a refugee from that Lovecraft tale, "The Shadow over Innesmouth" (or a related story by the Master of Arkham, "The Festival").

She also makes me think of Dame Edna Everage's late bridesmaid, Madge Althorpe (in her 1980s act).

G.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I agree MB about the unlikelyhood of WB taking the risk of providing someone with a trailer that he or she could pause, stop and save to one's hard drive or elsewhere and having it winding up on YouTube. I thought that the purpose of having a studio conduct a test of its trailer is to get said person's IMMEDIATE reaction to it. It doesn't make sense at least to me is a studio allowing the reviewer access to the trailer for an extended period of time. I wonder if this reviewer explained the testing process.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
If what we're being told about these trailers is true, and I'm hoping it isn't, this has to be a parody. Nothing of what has been reported has the feel of the original IMHO. We won't know until we see the trailer.

You're right.  It sounds that way based on this info.  But taking into consideration what others have told us (That it isn't), I am hoping it turns out to be very different from this purported trailer.  So, yes, we will see what the final trailer looks like and what the final film looks like.  I am really hoping for something true to the original...  maybe against the odds.   [snow_sad]

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
The first person who claims to have seen the trailer says he/she got it from esearch. It seems from the website they are sent a url and directions. I find it hard to believe WB would go this route with this big budgeted movie but who knows. http://www.esearch.com/about/

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
What I was saying is that I find it hard to believe that Burton and Co. would go to such lengths to recreate the look of the original and then not recreate the feel.  It's possible.  We'll see.

Didn't mean any offense, but whatever Burton & Depp's intention, the production/costumer designers and art directors aren't going to half-ass it based on the creative tone. They're spending millions of dollars on the film, and the design team is going to bring their A game, no matter what "legacy" is being pillaged for laughs...
"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
You're absolutely right. But, I guess I am expecting less attention to the traditional elements of costume and set if this is going to be a huge diversion.  A good chunk of the cast looks like they walked right out of the original series (with certain updates).  If this is a parody, I get it.  If the attention is to mock those looks, it's one thing.  But I don't think any of us were thinking that was the case after seeing the cast photo.  If Burton is going for his own radical spin (that's not parody), I'd think that would extend to set design and costume.  I can't see him staying so true to those elements and then turning the movie into a comedy.   

They actually went to Seaview to photograph and survey for goodness sake.  I can't imagine Tim Burton's crew going to all that trouble just so he could have a script that diverts from the original tone.  But who knows?  Maybe the beauty of the original series is only skin deep for Burton and Co...  Time will tell.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
the fashions of the early 1970's practically come with their own laugh track...

gauchos! platform shoes! bell bottoms! leisure suits!

burton and colleen atwood look like they've gone with a light and subtle hand with the costuming. from the few shots we've seen nobody looks stupid. actually everyone looks nice.

so perhaps the parody is not as broad as is being predicted.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
and i'm not really seeing the connection between whether the film is a comedy or not and the production values of the sets and costuming. [snow_huh]

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
You're absolutely right. But, I guess I am expecting less attention to the traditional elements of costume and set if this is going to be a huge diversion.  A good chunk of the cast looks like they walked right out of the original series (with certain updates).

That they've done that, and are making a goofy love letter to the original show, without any kind of slavish fanboy loyalty, is kind of what excites me.
"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
good points phil...

everyone keeps questioning depp's "love" and "loyalty" to the OS.

but one can have a great fondness for it and still approach it in a lighthearted way. a camp. a bit of a jest.

it's not like the OS doesn't readily lend itself to such an approach.

and as someone mentioned a dark, heavy, serious approach has not always served the series' offshoots well.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
It is obvious from the range of posts here and based on what we know so far that those looking for a dark, heavy, serious tone mixed with some comedic moments are going to be very disappointed; those wanting to see an over the top parody are going to love the movie.