Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 721331 times)

ClaudeNorth

Obsessing over the new photo, as I've obsessed over the other photos from the new movie.  To me, it looks as if Barnabas is confronting Liz and I'm wondering if this scene references the scene in the series in which Liz announces that she does not want to attend Barnabas's costume party.  Perhaps Barnabas is trying to convince her that she should wear the costume he picked out for her and come to the party in spite of her reservations?

As for the previous comments about the lyrics of the Vampire State Building's song, I used to think they were singing, "Mustang vest" but now I think that they're singing "blood-stained vest."

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
interesting remarks about grey gardens and the "hermetically sealed" atmosphere of collinwood.

what's notable about the OS is how much of what the show became was simply based on accident and happenstance.

when the series began it was not a "hermetically sealed" world. with the exception of liz who never left the place much of the action was focused in town...the diner, the inn, the cannery...and other offsite locations.

however once the barnabas character became established suddenly the old house became a semi-permanent set. in a cramped studio with probably only room for three or four sets per episode that meant other less important locations got dropped. when crypts and basement laboratories become the main locations suddenly there is less need for diners and canneries.

also when you've suddenly got a main character who can only exist at night the tone of the series changes completely. it becomes a "night show" and sets and locations that represent a daylit world...again in town businesses and so forth...become unnecessary.

and of course the "five characters per episode" budgetary restrictions meant that the cast usually consisted of core members of collins family or other collinwood residents like julia. all of this was happenstance yet in ended up creating an atmosphere of claustrophobia and of a "hermetically sealed" world.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Those are all well taken points.  What's fascinating to me about the tweets during the movie production is references to sequences shot at the Cannery, and even, if I am not mistaken, in the Collinsport harbor.  We never saw anything like that even in the early months of 1966.

Of course, whether those sequences will make it into the finished film... who knows?

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
the noise over on FB has piped up again this time courtesy of...of all people...ann magnusan.

apparently she's not pleased with the recent picture of depp in costume as barnabas, again the pale thing, and lots of people chimed in. of course there are even those who speculated that frid must be outraged. and again most of the replies are treating this as new information.

i guess magnusan must consider herself an expert on vampires via her brief appearance in 'the hunger'.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Interesting. Or should I say, curious?

Have these people never seen the numerous vampire films where the vamp is always pale? Have they never read the numerous vamp novels/short stories in which the vamp is always described as "pale"?

And as for Frid, have they never seen the DS eps in which it would be an understatement to describe Barn's look/Frid's makeup as "pale"? For one, and as Taeylor mentioned, they should just check out the Leviathan eps after Barn is turned into a vampire again. To say the least, Barn's vamp look is pale and entirely to the extreme!

And I wonder what Ann Magnusan's views are on vamps with Pepe Le Pu white streaks in their hair? The look for Depp's Barn is nowhere near that extreme, and yet some people tend to completely forget about how Frid's Barn had that look for months in 1970.  [snow_rolleyes]

116 days 6 hours 53 minutes 37 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
There's a new? grainy pic of Johnny as Barnabas showing up on tumblr. Not sure if it's new-new, but I haven't seen it and am not sure where it originates from.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Hmmm...  Okay...  Not really a big fan of that picture.  I wonder where it's from and why it was taken.   [snow_huh]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Unfortunately, or fortunately if you're a Depp fan, literally hundreds of photos seem to come up when one searches tumblr for him. Any chance of sharing the URL to that photo?  [snow_smiley]

116 days 6 hours 28 minutes 8 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
(link removed by admin.)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Thanks, Cousin_Barnabas.  [snow_smiley]

As for the photo, it looks like a scan from a magazine - particularly because it has Peter Mountain's credit. But the question is: what magazine? There are so many possibilities (especially with a lot of entertainment magazines doing issues now on the upcoming films of 2012) - and I haven't been to a bookstore lately to check anything out...

116 days 6 hours 17 minutes 17 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
What lovely big claws you sport. Baby Barnadepp!

G.

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport
Uhhh...did anyone else get a 'BAD WEBSITE BLOCKED!!!  [snow_wow] ' message, after a second, with that photobucket link? Either my computer is overly paranoid or I have to watch out for photobucket links now too..  [nerv]

But, just incase. Here's a link from a tumblr source for that pic: http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxuxi7W1aN1qfc55k.jpg

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I didn't receive any warning like that. But I have in the past with photobucket. So, just on the off chance that something might be up, I've removed the link in Cousin_Barnabas' post.

116 days 4 hours 2 minutes 54 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
 [snowball] Fantastic!  Now I am spreading viruses... and have to scan my computer.  The things I do for this movie.  [snow_ghost] 

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport
Oh, it ain't you! It's just the whole darn internet that's dangerous, Cousin_Barnabas! [sad5]

I'd just thought I'd mention what had happened, just incase. But my scans have turned up clean & I hope yours do too!  [snow_smiley]