Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 717092 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
brittonlowe Chris L
Weird: just read Alice Cooper shows up in the DARK SHADOWS movie solely to do a cover of "Addams Family Groove."
1 hour ago

Wonder where they read that?

199 days 9 hours 16 minutes 40 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
This article comes right out and says the main theme may not be used in the film:

Danny Elfman on Whether the ‘Dark Shadows' TV Theme Will Be in Tim Burton's Movie

But apparently the decision is up to Burton. And the article does conclude with: "Having said that," Elfman laughed, "who knows? You may just hear a theramin!"

So, it seems like only time will tell...

199 days 5 hours 18 minutes 19 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
This is most disturbing.  I just hope that everyone in the original DS realm is right, and they have heard the decision right from the mouth of Burton.  I was hoping for more than just the 30 second theme at the beginning, but it seems, now, as if we may have to pray just for that 30 seconds!  I certainly hope Burton decides to maintain the original DS theme - and actually incorporate other compositions from the library...  But, as you said, only time will tell. 

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
If it's like other big budget feature remakes of old TV shows, you're liikely to hear a riff on the classic theme over the closing credits.

I've already given my opinion of Elfman's work in other posts, so I won't comment further.

The post about Alice Cooper doing some Addams Family thing is a hoot.  I definitely get an Addams Family vibe from that big pub photo of the cast...

Folks, it's Tim Burton, so until you get to see the movie--all bets are off!

G.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Have things changed since ShadowGram reported that the original music will be incorporated into the movie? If TB is truly a fan of DS how can he not use the iconic theme?

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Just for the fun of it, I went back to see what ShadowGram has said on the subject and what sort of phrasing they've used.

First it was announced as "will most certainly":

From November 6th's Update 227:
SG PREMIERE-ANNOUNCES:

DS composer "Bob Cobert's original theme will most certainly be integrated into the musical score of the new movie, though the retired composer will not be directly involved."

But then it was downgraded somewhat to "will likely":

From February 28th's Update 234:
Robert Cobert's original theme will likely be integrated into the production also."

Then it was downgraded further by saying it "may" be used:

From May 14th's Update 239:
((SG previously announced Robert Cobert's original DS Theme or other musical elements may be incorporated into the movie score))

(And that one also mentioned that other musical elements could possibly be incorporated - probably not a smart move in retrospect given Elfman's most recent comments.)

But then it was once again said that it "will" be used:

From July 23rd's Update 243:
SG previously reported Danny Elfman is scoring the movie and Robert Cobert's classic "Dark Shadows Theme" would possibly be incorporated. SG now updates that Bob's memorable Theme will be part of the soundtrack.

And the status hasn't been mentioned since. However, it would certainly seem that things have indeed changed since then. And, of course, it's also possible that SG's source shouldn't necessarily have been as certain as they were when they passed along the info...

198 days 11 hours 11 minutes 27 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I believe (and hope) that Elfman hasn't even begun to discuss this with Burton.  He's probably been working on his own music, as Burton wants, and they haven't gotten around to discussing the overall musical picture - which would probably include, at least, the main theme.  I can't imagine a director making a character look so much like the original, including an obscure character, including 4 members of the original cast, and recreating an original photograph, and then ditching one of the most important elements of the show.  From what we have seen so far, it looks like Burton is trying to make his own vision of Dark Shadows, while maintaining strong connections to the original vision (on a surface level). 

Of course, a lot of this could go back to Depp.  Depp could have decided how he wanted Barnabas to look, etc.  If Depp doesn't provide input on the music, it may very well just be up to Burton's discretion.  But, let's hope that Burton decides to keep this consistent flow of original homages throughout. 

Plus, if it has become common knowledge (spread by, at least, three very influential people in the Dark Shadows community) that the theme would be used, you would have to assume that this generated from someone with a big say in the matter.  Like I said, it doesn't look as if Elfman has discussed this very much with Burton.  And, perhaps, that is why we have these conflicting reports.  Just speculation on my part, and hopeful speculation at that. 

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I would suspect that the people who've mentioned that the theme will be used have gotten that info through Jim Pierson.

198 days 9 hours 33 minutes 58 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Probably.  But where did Jim Pierson get this info from?   [skull_winks]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
That's the 64 million dollar question! Hopefully not from the same sources as the other info he's teased in Fest flyers or promised to share at Fests but which has never panned out...

198 days 8 hours 14 minutes 48 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
MB thanks for the ShadowGram research. I didn't realize its position had changed several times.

Alice Cooper reveals his role in the DS movie. Spoiler alert I guess-nothing too shocking imo http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011/10/25/alice-cooper-haunts-universal-studios-and-dark-shadows/

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Interesting.  Thanks for that link, Jimbo.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Very interesting - thanks so much for the link to the article, jimbo.  [hall2_smiley]  It confirms some of the things we've suspected (Cooper's cameo takes place during the masquerade ball) as well as adding details (Barnabas hires him (no doubt because he's become close with Carolyn)). The article would also seem to give another clue that there may not be an Old House in the film because we've been lead to believe the ball supposedly takes place at Collinwood and the article says Cooper is hired to play at Barnabas' home.

Also, now I'm really wondering where brittonlowe/Chris L read Cooper performs "Addams Family Groove" in the film when this article says he performs “No More Mr. Nice Guy”.  [hall2_undecided]

198 days 4 hours 33 minutes 23 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
perhaps instead of fixing up the old house as on the original series here barnabas fixes up collinwood and throws the costume party to fete it's restoration. it would be nice to see the place fixed up from the woeful condition of some of the pictures we've seen.

the cooper cameo is however a bit "campier" than i'm comfortable with. it's too literal. not subtle and sort of credence to some of the "funny" assessments we've  gotten from those involved.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Late checking Twitter today:

HermesPress Hermes Press
Video: Even more Dark Shadows coverage from the NYCC! tumblr.com/Z26utxB4z2xM
24 Oct

HermesPress Hermes Press
Video: The final question at our Dark Shadows panel at NYCC ‘11. http://tumblr.com/Z26utxB5ksjc
13 hours ago

198 days 0 hours 2 minutes 54 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!