Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 717482 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Did I read this correctly? Pee-Wee Herman wants to remake Dark Shadows after Depp's movie?

For some reason it took forever to get the video to play. But it strikes me as if he was just joking - particularly when his remarks about DS are in reply to the interviewer saying he would have loved to have seen him be in Burton's DS. But even if Pee Wee would like to do his own version, there's one big obstacle in the way: Depp holds the rights to DS. So, neither Pee Wee nor anyone else would be able to do a DS film as long as that's the case. And who knows when Depp's rights expire? If there really is hope of doing a DS franchise, the rights can't expire anytime soon.

200 days 11 hours 54 minutes 25 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Did I read this correctly? Pee-Wee Herman wants to remake Dark Shadows after Depp's movie?

For some reason it took forever to get the video to play. But it strikes me as if he was just joking - particularly when his remarks about DS are in reply to the interviewer saying he would have loved to have seen him be in Burton's DS. But even if Pee Wee would like to do his own version, there's one big obstacle in the way: Depp holds the rights to DS. So, neither Pee Wee nor anyone else would be able to do a DS film as long as that's the case. And who knows when Depp's rights expire? If there really is hope of doing a DS franchise, the rights can't expire anytime soon.

200 days 11 hours 54 minutes 25 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

I agree- I'm sure he was just joking.  Remember that Pee-Wee and Tim *do* go way back, and Paul Reubens (the real Pee-Wee) was also in Blow with Johnny, so they're all friends.  I would actually love to see them all work together again sometime!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Thank goodness. No doubt that DS is very hot these days. I see they added JP as a consultant at the DS imdb but that may have been there for a while and it was a given in any event.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Over at IMDB, there is discussion in regards to a remark Elfman made at a panel about not including the original score (for now).  I find it odd, especially after being repeatedly told countless times that it would be in it. 

Here is a snippet of the original post: 

A fan asked Danny if the original score would be in Tim's version. Danny's answer was no for the simple fact he believes Elfman (I think he meant Burton) wants to make his imagining of Dark Shadows his own. Elfman said that for Batman and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Burton was pretty adamant about making the music original.

I find it odd that not everyone is on the same page about this.  You'd think Burton would have discussed this with him.  This film looks so much like the original (J. Depp, HBC) that I find it pretty hard to believe that Tim isn't paying tremendous homage to the original.  And we all know the music is one of the biggest parts of the original show.  I do hope that Elfman gets on the same page as Pierson and KLS... 

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Maybe Pee Wee could play Harry Johnson (Hairy Johnson? lol, makes me think of Dank Shadows) in the DS sequel.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
More video of KLS talking about the book she's writing about the film:

HermesPress Hermes Press
Video: This is the first highlight from our Dark Shadows panel at NYCC, with Kathryn Leigh Scott and (via Skype) Lara Parker! http://tumblr.com/Z26utxB1eSez
4 hours ago

200 days 0 hours 34 minutes 12 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Sounds good.  I wonder whether Ben Martin tagged along as well?

It's kind of ironic that Barnabas first came to the Great House as a "cousin from England," and now KLS is writing a book about the new film whose first chapter, "Journey back to Collinwood," describes a trip TO England.

If only they had all gone to Cadogan Square and had a photo op there.  If I had been there, I would definitely have suggested it!

G.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
Yes indeed.  He's been a consultant from the start.

Nancy

I see they added JP as a consultant at the DS imdb but that may have been there for a while and it was a given in any event.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Jim Pierson's listing as a consultant on IMDb is fairly recent - but so far as us knowing he filled that position, we've known since this message was posted on the MPI's Web site back in '08:

this is from the article "Johnny Depp to Portray the Angst-Ridden Vampire Barnabas Collins?" at http://mpimedia.com/wp/?p=19 --

Producer Jim Pierson of Dan Curtis Productions and MPI Media Group will serve as a consultant on the project.

Though the message has long disappeared since then...

As for Bob Cobert's music being used or being adapted for the film, I could be forgetting a remark, but I only recall Pierson and places like ShadowGram saying that the main theme would appear in some form, not that any other Cobert compositions would be used. So in that sense it would seem that it hasn't been the intention to use Cobert's score but simply to adapt one piece of his music.

And as for the mansion at Beckenham Place Park, circumstantial evidence points more to its possible use as Windcliff. We know there's a Windcliff doctor in the cast of characters, so Windcliff figures into the story in some way. We've seen a video of an ambulance rehearsing its drive up to the building. And we've been told that a padded room set was constructed inside the building. Not that ambulances and padded rooms can't appear in some other location - but a place like Windcliff would appear to be more likely.

199 days 12 hours 1 minute 16 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!
Less than 200 days to go!!  [clap] [crowdhappy] [banana]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I just saw a promo on CBS that Depp will be on Letterman this week, so I checked my DVR's schedule and he's supposedly on Friday. Not that he's ever mentioned DS on any of his previous appearances. And this one will mainly be to promote The Rum Diary. But you never know...

199 days 11 hours 29 minutes 3 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Regarding Letterman, according to the official NBC site, Johnny will be on this Thursday, not Friday:

http://www.cbs.com/late_night/late_show/show_info/this_weeks_guests.php

Johnny is also scheduled to appear at Columbia University tonight for a Rum Diary screening and Q&A.  He's done a couple of these so far at college campuses, and as far as I know there's been no DS content (I would've posted if I'd heard something), so tonight would probably be the same but you never know.  He may have a couple more of these coming up, and I'm still hoping for a Rolling Stone interview, though I haven't heard of one yet. 

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Thursday makes a lot more sense (which is why I said supposedly on Friday) because people tend to appear before their films open.  [hall2_wink]  (But then I wondered if perhaps Depp wasn't able to appear until Friday for some reason.) So, thanks for posting the correction.  [hall2_smiley]

199 days 10 hours 27 minutes 41 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
As for Bob Cobert's music being used or being adapted for the film, I could be forgetting a remark, but I only recall Pierson and places like ShadowGram saying that the main theme would appear in some form, not that any other Cobert compositions would be used. So in that sense it would seem that it hasn't been the intention to use Cobert's score but simply to adapt one piece of his music.

That is a way of looking at it, but when I read it, it made it sound like it was all going to be new.  Mind you, I have no problem with new atmospheric music, but I view the main theme (and a couple others) as essential.  So, let's hope that he just forgot to include the part about the main theme being used.  (Still, you'd think he would have mentioned it, as Pierson, Scott, and ShadowGram all have.)  And let's hope he changes his mind about using some of that other wonderful score.   [hall_grin]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
This story got cut off (do to cell phone memory limitations) in the other videos:

HermesPress Hermes Press
Video: Our second highlight from the NYCC 2011 Dark Shadows panel! http://tumblr.com/Z26utxB3GF2U
2 hours ago

199 days 10 hours 4 minutes 35 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
yes i'm trying not to get too caught up in the "it's nots" but it would be disappointing if the main theme(and a few other key musical cues)were not used. [hall_sad]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.