Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 721005 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: (**TWO NEW PHOTOS!! Reply #1264**) Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!
« Reply #1305 on: September 30, 2011, 05:33:18 PM »
I guess I was the only one in the group who was really shocked when I read

[spoiler]that Angelique was running the rival Cannery!  So in some ways Ange's character is being combined with Burke Devlin?  Now I am very curious to learn just what are the grounds for Julia's hatred of Angelique well before Barn comes on the scene.  Intrigue! [/spoiler]

I agree with comments from Nancy and MB--DS, the real DS, always was about characters interacting, clashing, conspiring, hating, loving... This is definitely sounding better and better.

All this, AND we get the restored NoDS!  Yay!

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: (**TWO NEW PHOTOS!! Reply #1264**) Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!
« Reply #1306 on: September 30, 2011, 05:39:26 PM »
This is definitely sounding better and better.

Yes. And I'm really liking that they're giving their own twists to some of the story elements from the pre-Barn era because that stuff generally gets ignored in the DS remakes/reimaginings. It validates that those 9-10 months contained legitimate DS plots.

223 days 11 hours 20 minutes 34 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: September 30, 2011, 06:41:57 PM »
Could be, MB.  Also, it could be because Burton has a few ideas he wants to kick around in post-production for the editing room and needs that additional footage.  As we know, the real making of a film happens in that editing room.

I had someone ask me the other day if I thought that because the shoot is going on for so long and there seems to be several different subplots, if Burton isn't actually filming enough for two films,

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: September 30, 2011, 06:54:24 PM »
As curious as I am about what this film will ultimately be on the screen, the second most compelling aspect for me is how the impact of the film will affect the current DS fandom.  We saw an influx of fans and media attention when DS was in syndication on what is now SyFY for all that time. [clap2]  The DS Revival series brought more attention to the franchise and an influx of fans.  The ripple effects are still being felt as those who watched the Revival as young kids are now adults and board members here and active fans. [bigok]

Even if every single one of us thinks the final product completely sucks, the release of the film will still provide media coverage that will touch upon the original series and spark interest in exploring it.  Hard core Depp fans who have never heard of Dark Shadows will definitely be amongst the first to explore this un-dead realm.  [hello]

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: September 30, 2011, 08:21:15 PM »
I don't know if I will or not as I have not seen any performance footage of Depp as Barnabas.  That's the only thing anyone can possibly base whether or not they are drawn to the character or not.

Having said that, I really can't see anyone being drawn to this Barnabas.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: September 30, 2011, 09:08:10 PM »
Apparently there are some interesting things in the Empire article, according to posters on IMDB.

I was disappointed to learn that there aren't any pictures in the print issue other than what was shared initially online. Empire's tweet seemed to imply otherwise. And it might not have been very smart of them to share all the photos online because it lessens the chance that people are going to buy the actual issue, particularly now that people online have scanned/uploaded the article.

And speaking of scans, I came across a tweet from another Depp Web site that says they have scans. However, to access them one has to become a member, which I'm now in the process of doing (the confirmation e-mail is taking forever to arrive). It will be interesting to see if the scans are the same as the ones up on JOHNNYDEPPZONE (several other Depp sites have "borrowed" them) or if they've done their own scans, and if so, if they're better than what's up on JDZ...

I think I read on the IMDB boards that this Empire article claims that there is very little CGI in DS

You did. But what's interesting is that the article doesn't actually even say that. It simply says that Burton prefers to build sets rather than handle such things via CGI. But there's no mention of CGI as it pertains to things other than sets. So, CGI could be being used in the film in all sorts of other ways - particularly when we know they have been shooting green screen footage as recently as this week.  [ghost_wink]

At any rate, I'll try not to worry about this yet  [ghost_wink]

So far I'm not worried about a change of release date either.  [ghost_nowink]

I'm trying to keep track of all the tweets, but has there been any word on Thomas MacDonnell?  I wonder if he will be starting now.

As far as I've been able to tell there haven't been any tweets from him about DS or any about him actually working on the film. But that may not mean anything...

223 days 7 hours 51 minutes 50 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: September 30, 2011, 09:18:48 PM »
It will be interesting to see if the scans are the same as the ones up on JOHNNYDEPPZONE (several other Depp sites have "borrowed" them) or if they've done their own scans, and if so, if they're better than what's up on JDZ...

Nope - they're linking to one of the sites that "borrowed" the scans from JDZ.

223 days 7 hours 41 minutes 12 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: September 30, 2011, 09:42:14 PM »
The beginning of the Empire mag article, which is hard to read due to the poverty of the scan and the weird color chosen for the typeface, describes Burton directing Depp in a scene in which clearly there is going to be major use of CGI.  And the blue bands that extend around the top of the Collinwood facade outdoor set show that in any of these scenes, lots of CGI will be involved to finish off the mansion--beyond whatever action is involved.

G.

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #1313 on: September 30, 2011, 10:26:39 PM »
As for CGI alot or a little depends on what you put it up against, next to Lord Of The Rings I feel sure there's very little CGI, next to 50/50 using it to finish Collinwood would be alot. The question for is if I can tell it's CGI when I'm watching it. I hope by the time I'm 15mins in I don't even notice.
May you die before you want too.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #1314 on: September 30, 2011, 10:54:00 PM »
Well, I guess I had better clarify that I never meant to imply that there wouldn't be a need for CGI in the film.  I'm just thinking there'll be less, relatively speaking.  Alice In Wonderland was filmed nearly *all* in front of green screen (other than the beginning and end), which is very atypical for Burton.  So that must've required an extreme amount of post production.  If DS is more like Sweeney Todd, there will be CGI where needed, but they will try to achieve many effects using real tricks (such as for spurting blood all over the place, which they loved to do in both Sleepy Hollow and Sweeney Todd  [ghost_wink] ).  'Course, I didn't realize that the Empire article didn't actually say what the IMDb posts said it said (thanks MB for pointing that out), so I could be wrong in my comparisons.  But I'm hoping that whatever CGI tinkering they'll need to do will be easy enough for them to fit into their time frame-- also, just a guess but they could well already be working on the effects for the scenes they've already filmed.

I haven't had a chance to read the Empire article yet but look forward to reading it later.  I'm really excited about what I've heard so far!

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #1315 on: September 30, 2011, 11:44:58 PM »
They could also be editing parts of the film as we speak.
May you die before you want too.

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: September 30, 2011, 11:56:53 PM »
The Empire article was so, so, so reasurring!  They could have easily gone the send-up route, like The Brady Bunch Movie, but it looks like they're treating DS seriously.  The way it's described in the article, it's sounding sort of like a mash-up of DS and Dynasty!  That, I think, would provide room for lots of humor, while still not being a "comedy".

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
They could also be editing parts of the film as we speak.

I would actually be surprised if they were not.  I think it's quite normal, at least for major productions, to have the editor working as soon as possible (that is, as soon as there is footage to work with).

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
Thanks, MB, for posting the link to the empire article. It was very enjoyable, and was worth the read for the few small bits of VERY interesting new tidbits about the film. As more and more things are put out there I'm definitely becoming excited to see the finished product, whatever it may turn out to be.

I really want to see how Depp plays Barnabas trying to seduce and actually feeding on a victim. Each incarnation that Barnabas has appeared in has been markedly different, including HODS (as compared to the original series).
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
since i'm apparently reading the tea leaves today...

i have another prediction. i won't "spoiler' it because it's pure speculation but i'm wondering if we're going to get some sort of "cassandra" type situation with roger. her seducing and bewitching him so she get get on the inside at collinwood.

it's just a thought but johnny lee miller doesn't seem like the kind of actor that would have signed onto this project just to be part of the set dressing. his role has to have some "juice" to it, so to speak.

we'll see...
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.