Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 716253 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!
« on: May 15, 2011, 12:04:00 AM »
It's officially the 15th in England, so let's start a new topic to cover the production (shooting and post production) of the Depp/DS film and the run-up to its release on May 11, 2012.

("It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp" has been locked, so post any comments you might have from anything in that topic here in this one.)

362 days 4 hours 56 minutes 0 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 01:45:58 AM »
Thanks for the new thread, MB!  Johnny was in Cannes today for one last Pirates premiere and one last pre-DS appearance (no cane that I could spot, lol).  I'll miss the bounty of photos we've been treated to in the past week or so, but will be counting the days until we see our first glimpse of Johnny as Barnabas  [ghost_smiley]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 02:29:18 AM »
will be counting the days until we see our first glimpse of Johnny as Barnabas  [ghost_smiley]

I suspect we all will.  [ghost_wink]

362 days 2 hours 30 minutes 42 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 04:08:25 PM »
Yet more confirmation that the Depp/DS film is beginning production: After Midnight in Cannes, Johnny Depp and Spike Jonze at the Bar du Cap

And while I've seen mostly extremely positive reviews for the latest Pirates, apparently not everyone likes it. (But then, what movie does every critic like?) And Time's Richard Corliss summed up his negative review rather interestingly: "So now it's time for him to again lavish his talent on films for grownups, and not pre-school pabulum like On Stranger Tides." Well, one can only hope that the DS film will be able to be described as a film for grownups.   [ghost_wink]

361 days 12 hours 51 minutes 35 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 10:26:38 PM »
I really hope that we DON'T see his Barnabas until we see him on screen. That first shot of Barnabas standing in the doorway of Collinwood should be special. My hope is that a photo of him as Barnabas isn't shown until the movies been out for at least two weeks.
May you die before you want too.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 11:14:00 PM »
If production has begun, where is the casting for Roger Collins?  If Sheen is NOT playing him, that either means they need to cast the role or else the part has been written out, which seems odd because there are not many male roles in this film.  What are everyone's thoughts on this? 

David

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 05:31:25 AM »
 [ghost_smiley]
(-:

Bay Area Reporter, my primary writing venue, said they'll let me cover & review the film when it opens.
I'm hoping that Frontiers Mag in LA, whom I also write for, will allow me to do the same.

The recently relaunched Famous Monsters of Filmland is interested in having me interview KL Scott RE: her new novel, so I'm hoping to do film coverage for them too.
It's gonna be a FUN year!

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 09:06:04 AM »
All this is great news.  Can't wait to see any photos from the shoot and read any more news.

It's officially the 15th in England, so let's start a new topic to cover the production of the Depp/DS film and the run-up to its release on May 11, 2012.

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 12:18:16 PM »
I've got a custom made sweatshirt and a T-Shit with "The Blue Whale - Collinsport, Me." on them.  No picture of a whale but a pic of a 'live preserver'.  I had these made up roughly ten years ago. Started wearing them out recently on a regular basis.  No comments from others on them yet but looks of interest.  I've also spoken about Dark Shadows and the new movie and people are interested.  This topic will definitely be the place to come to for the latest info.  Many thanks to MB and all the others for keeping me up-to-date. [ghost_smiley]
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 01:55:08 PM »
Who knows what's going on at IMDb? Now Jackie Earle Haley has disappeared from the cast list on the Depp/DS film's page and the film is no longer listed on his own page. A simple IMDb screw up or has Haley departed from the film? I suppose only time will tell. After all, Helena Bonham Carter was listed, disappeared, but is now listed again. Though she's never actually confirmed that she will be in the film - only that she was considering it. On the other hand, Haley had confirmed his participation. So, at least on the surface, his disappearance seems more significant...

But on another note, the film has jumped up to #551 on IMDb's MOVIEmeter, mostly based on the release date being announced.

360 days 15 hours 4 minutes 52 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 03:50:22 PM »
Darlingest MB,

I played a clip of HBC dolled up to the nines on the red carpet at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion for the annual statuette affair and she said, and I quote, "Yeah, I'm doing Dark Shadows.  I couldn't turn down playing an alcoholic psychiatrist."

I admit she didn't display a signed contract, but since she is married to the director?  (Kind of like Grayson being married to the Head Writer on DS and OLTL.)

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 04:22:11 PM »
Yes, and I recall how excited many of us were to hear that - especially the "alcoholic psychiatrist" part. But then there was an interview with her after that night at the Oscars in which she said she wasn't sure.  [ghost_huh]  (Which is why I'm guessing that IMDb still lists HBC as being "rumored for the role of Julia.)

What I probably should have said is that HBC confirmed but then rescinded her confirmation. But I suppose it works out to the same thing...

360 days 12 hours 37 minutes 49 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 04:45:27 PM »
In other news, the twitter feed for collinwood.net's news page is featuring a tweet from a prop buyer for the Depp/DS film (and yet another member of the behind the scenes personnel that's not listed on IMDb) who went out to buy candles for Depp - though presumably she means for the film (and perhaps even for one of Barnabas' sets) and not Depp personally. Well, unless she working as both prop buyer and personal assistant.  [ghost_wink]

Also, it seems as if Bella Heathcote is alive and well (I was beginning to have my doubts considering that she still hasn't tweeted a thing since the 7th) because she's now following the feed...

360 days 12 hours 14 minutes 33 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 06:30:38 PM »
My hope is that a photo of him as Barnabas isn't shown until the movies been out for at least two weeks.

Hmm...  I'm just wondering how in the world that would be possible.   [ghost_huh]  If you don't want to see Depp in "Barnabas mode" then my advice would be to avoid the Internet, TV, newspapers, magazines, billboards, subways, bus stops, etc. from now until you get to the theater to see the movie (and even then, you might need to avoid looking at any posters).

Offline Aristia

• Junior Poster
  • Crazy like a fox!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 08:51:51 PM »
who went out to buy candles for Depp - though presumably she means for the film (and perhaps even for one of Barnabas' sets)

I hope she's buying blue candles!  [ghost_grin]