Author Topic: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow  (Read 118641 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow
« Reply #1605 on: June 18, 2023, 01:38:14 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Thursday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Thursday's quote:
Ep #753 (1897) - Charity - 'He was there. I'm sure of it. He MUST have gone out through the window.'

From "Robservations 1/4/03 - #752/753 - Beth Learns the Terrifying Truth"
Charity says she wants to talk to Edward, but Beth tells her that he's at the Old House with Barnabas. Since she can't phone him there, Charity decides she and Tim will wait for his return. That could be very late, warns Beth.  Charity asks to go into the drawing room. Beth reluctantly lets her in, and Charity notices her hesitation. There is no one to be seen when they enter the room.  Charity wants to search the house, but Beth insists Edward must give permission for such a search.  Charity suspects that Jamison is hiding behind the drapes and orders him out. She doesn't find him there, and figures he must have escaped through the window. I opened the windows myself, says Beth.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations only references part of the quote, and what it does reference, it paraphrases...

And Beth doesn't use "must" when it comes to Edward giving permission. Beth says, "I'm afraid you'll have to get Mr. Edward's permission to do that."

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: June 19, 2023, 01:40:48 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Friday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Friday's quote:
Ep #1232 (1841PT[-1967]) - Morgan - 'No, you're right. I MUST never think anything like that. I'm sorry.'

From "#1232/1233: Robservations 01/07/04: Daphne Falls Ill"
Morgan walks into the drawing room and pours himself a drink.  Explain what you meant by that, demands Daphne.  I think it's quite obvious what I meant, he says.  I don't think it's obvious at all, says Daphne--I don't know where Catherine is.  Do you know where Bramwell is? he asks.  No, she says.  Do you think it's possible they might be together? he queries.  Is that something you know or just suspect? she asks resentfully.  He sips his drink and says, it's a very real possibility--you see, the week I was possessed, your husband took advantage of me--he saw Catherine every day!--that doesn't seem to surprise you very much--or maybe you didn't know anything about it. No, I didn't KNOW anything, she says.  Then why aren't you defending your husband? he asks.  I don't think it's necessary! she says, if you're implying that Catherine and Bramwell have been unfaithful, I don't believe it! You don't or won't? he demands.  I think the things you said are shocking, accuses Daphne--do you really believe Catherine could be unfaithful to you?  Morgan thinks that over--you're right, he says, I must never think anything like that--I'm sorry--but I'm no less angry at Bramwell
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote almost perfectly...

And what "(1841PT[-1967])" means is that what really should have been featured is a quote from 1967's Blackmailing Liz-Introducing Barnabas-Kidnapping Maggie-Introducing Julia storyline but a quote from 1841PT was substituted to help to stretch out the 1967 quotes...

And this is the third quote from this ep. The first (Bramwell - 'Daphne, nothing MUST ever happen to you--nothing') was back on May 12th of 2020, and the second (Josette - 'But you know what the doctor said. You need complete rest-- you MUST STAY in bed') was back on January 21st of 2021.

And here's another perfect example of something that could only make sense on a show like DS -

- what other type of show could so matter-of-factly throw out a reference to having been possessed like it's a perfectly normal life occurrence?!  [lghy]

(Also, even though it would have been a very different type of scene, watching Kate Jackson and Keith Prentice work together really makes one wonder what
NoDS Scene 83
might have been had Keith Prentice been cast as shop owner Gregory and DC had actually shot it. But alas... (Scene 83 lasts from initial Reply #144 through Reply #156.))

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: June 20, 2023, 02:02:16 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Saturday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Saturday's quote:
Ep #694 (1969) - Prof. Stokes - 'Amy and David MUST NOT be left alone for one minute tonight.'

From "Robservations 10/18/02 - #694/695 - Roger Becomes a Believer"
Stokes keeps trying the door, then leans his back against it, staring at the fire spreading around his room. Quentin's image continues to laugh at him. Stokes, desperate, grabs, a candlestick and smashes the mirror, covering his eyes to protect them from the class. Miraculously, the fire goes out. Stokes stares around himself, asking for a moment, when Roger knocks at the door. Stokes assures him, I am NOT all right. Roger jiggles the doorknob. Stokes lets him in. I heard laughing, and a crash, says Roger--the mirror! I just received an answer to my ultimatum, says Stokes and I'm not surprised--if I were a ghost, which I will be someday, I wouldn't let words drive me away from his room, not even the words of the exorcist. Roger insists there are no ghosts and begs Stokes to tell Liz the spirits are gone (why should he need to, if there ARE no ghosts?). That's too dangerous, objects Stokes--Amy and David can't be left alone tonight. Roger, following him out of the room, says no, Professor, you aren't to leave the room until you agree to keep silent about this latest trick of your imagination.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations paraphrases the quote but references it well...

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Prof. Stokes - 'We MUST examine every possibility very closely as soon as we make sure Amy Jennings is all right') was back on July 6th of 2021.

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: June 21, 2023, 03:33:07 AM »
- what other type of show could so matter-of-factly throw out a reference to having been possessed like it's a perfectly normal life occurrence?!  [lghy]

😄

Although, to be fair to the writer, I think it's more Prentice's atrocious delivery of the line that makes this really ridiculous.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: June 21, 2023, 02:32:28 PM »
It can certainly come off as ridiculous to the outside world looking in. How could it not? Though it's not ridiculous within the framework of the story. Just like Barnabas saying in Ep #447 that he told Joshua he killed Angelique but he never said she was dead (which is one of my all-time favorite lines on the show). To the outside world that's perfectly absurd, but within the framework of the story it makes perfect sense. And only on a show like DS could such lines make perfect sense.  [b003]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: June 21, 2023, 03:08:36 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Sunday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Sunrday's quote:
Ep #556 (1968) - Nicholas - 'And you MUST accomplish something during the visit. I'll tell you what in a moment. But the visit MUST be the most terrifying experience she has ever had in her life.'

From "Robservations 7/11/02 - #556/557 - Adam's Ultimatum"
Nicholas tells her what she was about to do would have been a bad mistake. I didn't do it, she says, Bart Simpson--like, and he points out that's only because he stopped her. The temptation was overpowering, she complains, but he reminds her of the rules. He tips up her face and says, "You disobeyed me the first chance you got." She asks what he's going to do, and he says he could deny her her coffin, forcing her to face the sunrise, but he won't do that--he'll forgive her, but only because he has something for her to do, and if she EVER disobeys him again. . .she says she'll do whatever he asks. He orders her to go see Vicki--and make it a terrifying experience!
[/spoiler]

The Robservations barely references the quote, but at lease it does so in the most important way...

And this quote contains a classic DS ploy: the ol' We-Won't-Discuss-It-Right-Now-But-We-Will-Discuss-It-Later so as to move things along quicker and/or to keep the audience in suspense. Who knows how many times DS did that? But why do I suspect we could actually make a year-long slideshow with examples of it!  [lghy]

And this is the third quote from this ep. The first (Vicki - 'Why am I here? You MUST tell me') was back on April 6th of 2022, and the second (Vicki - 'This MUST be a dream') was back on February 21st. And both of those quotes come from the same scene...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: June 22, 2023, 03:38:48 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Monday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Monday's quote:
Ep #1120 (1840) - Gerard - 'Oh, you MUST have had a good few times, sir.'

From "#1119/1120: Robservations 09/24/03: Elopement; A Stunning Surprise"
Gerard enters the tower room, where Daniel, still in bed, greets him in a friendly way, telling him he's been waiting to see you.  I thought you would be, sir, says Gerard.  What an unusual man you are, says Daniel.  I do hope you mean that as a compliment, says Gerard, sitting in a chair beside the bed.  Oh, I do, Daniel assures him, coming to see me on your wedding night--I've been remembering my own wedding night, which turned out so badly.  Oh, you must have had a good few times, sir, says Gerard.  I don't remember, says Daniel, I only remember the feeling of relief when it was over--when she was...she's dead, you know...
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote perfectly...

And I've often wondered if James Storm got things tongue-twisted in his delivery or not? Should it have been "a few good times", or was "a good few times" a common way of saying it in the early 19th century? Sam Hall, who wrote the ep, was very well read and educated and he may very well have intended it to be the way it's delivered...

And this is the third quote from this ep. The first (Gabriel - 'There has been a marriage today, and we MUST do something about it') was back on August 9th of 2020, and the second (Gerard - 'Now darling, we MUSTN'T start off like this. We have a brand new life ahead of us. The past is gone, dead, gone forever') was back on March 11th.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: June 23, 2023, 02:50:19 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Tuesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Tuesday's quote:
Ep #102 (1966) - Roger - 'I MUST talk to you, and I didn't want you to call out and bring that little counter girl back.'

From "#0101/0102: Robservations 08/01/01: Roger's Evil Intentions"
Vicki struggles in Roger's grasp. I had to do that, he tells her, so you couldn't call out for your little friend to come back--do you understand? Vicki nods. If I take my hand away now, will you promise not to scream--it won't do you any good anyway, you know, we're the only ones in this house. Vicki nods. Roger slowly removes his hand, pushes Vicki into the drawing room and closes the doors. Vicki backs away, scared. Roger advances toward her and she backs away. Please don't do anything silly, he says, you don't honestly think you can escape from me, do you? Vicki stands behind a chair. What do you want? she asks. You think I killed Bill Malloy, don't you? he asks. I don't think anything, she says, darting away from him. If you really think that, he says, you must be petrified with fear right now, because if I killed him, then I would surely have to kill you, too, wouldn't I? Vicki is terrified. Be reasonable, says Roger, if I'd have meant to harm you, I'd have already done it--I must talk to you, and I didn't want you to call out and bring that little counter girl (always the snob!) back. What can you possibly say to me? demands Vicki. What I hope you want to hear, he says. About Bill Malloy? she asks. Yes, he says--they say confession is good for the soul--well, my soul needs purifying--I want to tell you exactly what happened that night. What do you expect me to do after you've told me? asks Vicki. That's for you to decide, he says, all I ask is that you hear the whole story--agreed? All right, she says cautiously.
[/spoiler]

(always the snob!)

And we wouldn't want it any other way. In fact, considering we often use Roger's "cheap, insufferable pig" to refer to Jeb, maybe Maggie should be referred to as the "little counter girl." Well, at least until she stops working at the diner. There are way bigger issues once she becomes governess at Collinwood.  ::)  But that's another discussion!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: June 24, 2023, 01:52:18 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Wednesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Wednesday's quote:
Ep #1056 (1970PT) - Quentin - 'God. The poor man MUST have been insane.'

From "#1056/1057: Robservations 08/08/03: More Death; A Near-Miss Rescue"
Maggie now lies on the chaise in Angelique's room. Quentin kneels before her, gazing at her with love. She awakens and calls his name.  Don't be frightened, he urges. I'm not, she assures him she isn't--I know the truth.  He goes into her arms.  She hugs him fiercely--I was so wrong about you, she says--how can you ever forgive me? I should be asking the same thing of you, he says. What happened to us, why couldn't we trust each other? she asks. I don't know, he says, I look back now and see all the things I should have seen so clearly when they were happening. So should I, says Maggie, touching his face--do you know, I actually believed you'd killed Angelique and were about to kill me, and I didn't know until I found out that Roger killed her...  Roger? asks Quentin, stunned. Yes, says Maggie, that's how Carolyn and Elizabeth died, they found out, and he knew...  Quentin draws away from her embrace. God, he says, the poor man must have been insane. At least you don't have to worry that the police will blame you, she points out.  Somehow, that's small consolation, says Quentin
[/spoiler]

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Inspector Hamilton - 'Mr. Collins, I'm a simple police inspector. I MUST of necessity deal with things that are real. Things that are unreal I leave to the writers of fiction. As far as I'm concerned, the only reality in this case is the increasingly apparent guilt of Quentin Collins') was back on November 20th of 2020.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: June 25, 2023, 03:26:54 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Thursday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Thursday's quote:
Ep #165 (1967) - Laura - 'No, no. You MUST have been dreaming.'

From "#0164/0165: Robservations 09/14/01: Laura's Looking Guilty"
Cottage - David is falling asleep in his mother's arms. Laura feels a presence and sits up straighter. I know you're here, she says, you're here, Josette--you're somewhere in this room--what do you want? Josette's ghost appears by the door. Leave him alone, he's mine! orders Laura. Josette steps closer. As long as I hold him in my arms, you have no power over him, says Laura. Josette comes closer, trying to reach for David, but she can't, and drops her ghostly arms. Stay away, Josette! says Laura--you see, I told you it was useless to interfere--now leave us! Josette, thwarted, does so. And never come back, adds Laura--never! Josette fades away.
David abruptly awakens. Aunt Elizabeth? He calls. (attaboy, David!) Laura caresses his hair. It's Mother, says Laura, pulling him close, go back to sleep, dear. Who was just here? he asks. No one, she says. It feels like someone was just here, he insists. You must have been dreaming, she says, placing his head in her lap--go back to sleep again
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references most of the quote perfectly...

And I've always loved how this story incorporates Josette's Ghost and has her opposing Laura. It's a great element to this Laura storyline that's totally dropped when they bring Laura back in 1897 for the viewers who never saw the original story because they didn't come to DS until after Barnabas came on the scene. And that's too bad. But then, by the time 1897 comes around Josette's Ghost's role on the show has been severely diminished to the point of practically being nonexistent.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: June 26, 2023, 03:06:10 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Friday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Friday's quote:
Ep #966 (1970) - Jeb - 'You MUST believe it because it's true.'

From "Robservations 6/4/03 - #966-967 - Repercussions; Vampire Megan's Life"
She lies on her bed, falls asleep, then begins to dream. The double doors at Collinwood open; Jeb comes out, dressed in a suit. Carolyn, on the dark landing, drifts downstairs in a lovely wedding gown and veil, holding a bouquet. Everything is ready, says Jeb.  In a moment, I'll be Mrs. Jeb Hawkes, she whispers. Come with me, says Jeb, offering his arm. She takes it and they go into the drawing room. Nicholas Blair, wearing his black robe, holding the scepter, awaits them. Carolyn, disturbed, asks--what is he doing here?  He's going to perform the ceremony, says Jeb.  I don't want him to, insists Carolyn--he frightens me. No one is going to harm you, Jeb assures her--Nicholas won't.  Good evening, greets Nicholas.  Hello, says Carolyn.  Nicholas compliments her beauty and says, if you are both ready, we can begin. We can't, says Carolyn, my parents aren't here, and we can't begin without them. Your mother doesn't approve of the marriage, says Jeb, and won't be here. My father will--we must wait for him, says Carolyn. You know your father is dead, Jeb reminds her. No! I can't believe that, cries Carolyn. Believe it, because it's true, says Jeb--do you understand? Yes, she replies.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations doesn't reference the quote exactly, but it does reference it well...

And, oh, if only more people lived by that sentiment today...

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Nicholas - 'Prince of Darkness, I call upon the flames to summon you, I beseech all of the dark creatures of nature to help summon you here to me, for you MUST be a witness to this ceremony, you MUST give your blessing to these two creatures who shall become your obedient servants') was back on April 22nd.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: June 27, 2023, 02:28:50 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Saturday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Saturday's quote:
Ep #318 (1967) - Julia - 'You MUST find Sarah and persuade her not to tell David any more of your secrets.'

From "#0317/0318: Robservations 01/16/02: Who Influrnces Barnabas?--Only Sarah"
Outside, closing the panel, Barnabas says that he finds it hard to believe Sarah would betray him by telling David about the secret room. Barnabas feels his sister has rejected him. She will appear to you if she knows you feel threatened, predicts Julia--the best way to silence David is not to kill him, but to find Sarah! Barnabas walks over to his little sister's plaque and touches it.
[/spoiler]

Once again the quote isn't referenced at all because the Robservations is in the period where there's little detail. However, the quote comes up after Barnabas says he can't believe that Sarah would do anything to betray him and before he wonders why Sarah would reject him...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: June 28, 2023, 02:32:22 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Sunday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Sunday's quote:
Ep #755 (1897) - Beth - 'Oh, Quentin. Quentin, there MUST be something we can do. There MUST be.'

From "Robservations 1/6/03 - #754-755 - Laura Pursues Barnabas"
Quentin staggers in and collapses in the foyer. Beth cries out, thrilled that he's returned.  She wakes him up and helps him into the drawing room, locking the door behind them.  Tell me what happened to me, gasps Quentin.  What do you remember? She asks.  Nothing after the pain started, he answers.  She can barely bring herself to tell him, but Quentin, impatient, insists--what do I become?--what kind of monster?
She says, you attacked me. . .you changed. . .into an animal. Edward and Barnabas saw you, and Barnabas beat you away with his cane--they describe you as "a wolf that walks like a man." Quentin is overcome with horror, and buries his face in his hands.  There must be something we can do, says a crying Beth.  Who did I kill? Asks Quentin.  No one! cries Beth, overwrought.  Look at me! commands Quentin.  It isn't you! wails Beth--you don't know what you're doing--it's the curse!
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the most important part of the quote quite well...

A bit of trivia about this ep: I remember back in '96 when this ep ran on Sci-Fi, online Quentin fans went into a sexual frenzy because it was confirmed to them that David Selby had chest hair. My thing was, "Have you never seen Falcon Crest or any of the many movies he's made in which he's shirtless?" Plus, I recall back in '92 when Time or Newsweek (I forget which) promoted the Lady Boss miniseries, they used a photo of Selby's character in bed with a woman and he's clearly hairy chested. I guess none of his online DS fans had seen that either.  [easter_wink] [easter_cheesy]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: June 29, 2023, 02:48:30 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Monday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Monday's quote:
Ep #375 (1795) - Josette - 'Aunt Natalie, you MUST do me a favor.'

From "#0374/0375: Robservations 02/27/02: Caught in Each Other's Arms"
Josette comes downstairs later and Natalie tells her that Mrs. Collins was quite upset that she didn't come down for lunch, terrible food nothwithstanding. Barnabas came home for the meal, too. Josette tells her aunt she wasn't feeling well, and asks her to go with Barnabas to the cabinetmaker to choose their furniture. Natalie is perturbed, reminding Josette she'll have to live with that furniture for the rest of her life--she should pick it out herself.
[/spoiler]

Another Robservations where there's not as much detail and so the quote isn't even referenced. However, it comes up before Josette asks her aunt to go with Barnabas to the cabinetmaker...

And I absolutely love how Natalie complains about how the fish served at lunch was inedible and why. It's so perfectly character defining.

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Countess du Pres - 'I am asking you. If you want me to cover up for you then you MUST share your confidences with me'), which is obviously also from this same scene, was back on September 4th.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: June 30, 2023, 03:06:10 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Tuesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Tuesday's quote:
Ep #695 (1969) - Carolyn - 'There MUST be something you just don't think I can help you with. Something I can't know. And that makes it terribly difficult to understand you.'

From "Robservations 10/18/02 - #694/695 - Roger Becomes a Believer"
At Chris' cottage, Carolyn admires a photo of Amy and Chris. She returns it to the mantle, smiling. Chris comes in. I expected to find the cottage empty, says Carolyn, but realized you hadn't gone when I saw the photograph--you'd never leave it behind. He says nothing. She wonders why he decided to stay--I have trouble reading you, she teases. Don't even try, says Chris.
Funny, she says, for a day or so, I thought we had a bit of a romance going. You were wrong, he says. Carolyn denies that--you're being wrong now, she says. We HAD something going, he amends. You aren't very subtle today, she says. Why do you keep making me do this? Demands Chris, upset--part of the reason I was leaving was YOU. But why? she asks--you never offers an explanation for anything, and I believe there's a mystery in your past I can't help you with, can't know, and it makes it difficult to understand you--why can't you settle whatever it is within yourself? she demands. Maybe, just maybe, I'm trying to do exactly that, says Chris, and MAYBE I can only do it alone, completely alone! Do you want my help? she asks. I'm going to stay, says Chris, but we can't see each other anymore. Carolyn turns away, disappointed and heartbroken.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations paraphrases the quote but references it quite well...