Author Topic: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow  (Read 118516 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow
« Reply #1260 on: July 29, 2022, 02:26:52 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Wednesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Wednesday's quote:
Ep #1113 (1840/1970) - Prof. Stokes - 'We MUST get her to a psychiatrist at once. She should be at Windcliff.'

From "#1113/1114: Robservations 09/19/03: Barnabas to the Rescue!"
Carolyn joins them--I love visiting Cousin Barnabas, she says, like one in a dream, but I can't understand why you insisted just because Mother is away--"I think it was a very good idea for her to take David and Hallie on a trip" she blathers--they've had no vacation at all this year.
Stokes purses his lips, downcast.  I'll go spend the weekend at the beach house, says Carolyn--could I, Cousin? she happily asks Barnabas.  We'll decide that later, he replies.  We always used to go there this time of year, says Carolyn girlishly--I loved it in the fall--the leaves are red, dying. . .she closes her eyes, then, her mood changing from light to dark, says, something happened at Collinwood--what?--who are those men?--who set fire to it?  She abruptly giggles, switching gears--how silly I am, it was only a nightmare, I don't remember what it was about now--I should go upstairs and pack a bag so I'll be ready to go to the shore in the morning--it will be so lovely to be by the sea, and alone.  She leaves.  You must get her to a psychiatrist at once, says Stokes, she should be at Windcliff.  I keep hoping the effects of what had happened would wear off, sighs Barnabas.  That's not true, says Stokes, you told me yourself she was...she will be just the same in 1995.  She would harm no one, says Barn.
[/spoiler]

Save for saying "You" instead of "We," the Robservations references the quote perfectly...

And this is the third quote from this ep. The first (Ben - 'You MUST NOT. Mr. Barnabas, you MUST talk to that woman, that Julia-- she's from the future, from 1970') was back on July 21st of 2020, and the second (Prof. Stokes - 'You MUST visualize a door with the hexagram painted on it'), which is from this same ep, was back on July 27th of 2021, coincidentally exactly a year ago (and it's not the first time Midnite has inadvertently done that).

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: July 29, 2022, 08:21:30 PM »
Sadly, this is the last time we see Carolyn.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: July 29, 2022, 08:56:19 PM »
 [pointing-up]  I totally forgot that Ep #1113 is Carolyn's last - thanks for bringing it up.  [ghost_smiley]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: July 30, 2022, 04:02:31 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Thursday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Thursday's quote:
Ep #218 (1967) - Barnabas - 'I MUST acknowledge your powers of recognition.'

From "#0218/0219: Robservations 10/24/01: Willie & Cattle"
Fascinating conversation between Barnabas and Jason. Jason wonders how Barnabas knows about him, while Jason finds Barnabas' resemblance to the portrait uncanny.
[/spoiler]

Being yet another Robservations with very, very little detail, it doesn't reference the quote at all, though as with others it does reference the circumstances under which the quote is delivered...

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Liz - 'Well, you MUST admit it's a bit startling having a person of your obvious means wanting to live in such shambles') was back on July 23rd.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: July 31, 2022, 02:24:03 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Friday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Friday's quote:
Ep #471 (1968) - Vicki - 'I thought of that. But you MUST understand that it's not my imagination, but my memory, that I'm afraid of.'

From "#0471/0472: Robservations 05/07/02: Attack on Lang Through Roger"
Barnabas asks Vicki if she has any idea what is going on with Roger--she doesn't, but it scares her. Why does he think he's Joshua? wonders Barn. Vicki suggests that only Joshua escaped Angelique's witchcraft (what about Millicent and Daniel?), but perhaps she's trying to finish what she started. That sounds too incredible, opines Barnabas, but Vicki says after what she's been through, anything is possible. He suggests she shouldn't let her imagination run away with her, but she says it's not her imagination, it's her memory she fears. Barnabas notes the marks are gone from Vicki's throat.
If Ang uses her powers, says Vicki, no one in the family will be spared--this scares her terribly. Vicki notices how remote Barnabas seems, but he assures her he's all right, he just felt weak (translation: he felt like biting her for a moment there).
[/spoiler]

The Robservations doesn't reference the quote in its entirety, but it does reference it well,even if it doesn't reference the use of MUST...

However, something the Robservations doesn't reference well is Vicki's remark about who escaped Angelique's witchcraft because Vicki doesn't say that Joshua was the only one to escape, she actually says he was "one of the few."

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: August 01, 2022, 02:36:06 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Saturday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Saturday's quote:
Ep #709 (1897) - Beth - It MUST.'

From "Robservations 10/29/02 - Barnabas Threatens Quentin - #708/709"
Quentin is clearly nervous when Beth joins him in the drawing room. You're just the person I wanted to see; he says. Beth doesn't believe him. Why should you? asks Quentin you never believe anything I say. Very little, she admits. It was true, he insists--sometimes, at night, this house. . .when I think of all the strange, inexplicable things that have happened here--as if a curse had been put on it. I don't believe in curses, she assures him. You're much too modern, chides Quentin. I hope so, she says. I like that, he says, his face very close to hers--no matter how far away I've gone from Collinwood, I seem to belong to it more and more - that makes me very unhappy. It must, says Beth quietly. He observes that for once--you're not snapping and biting, taking the opposite side. I know what it's like, wanting to get away from certain people and things, she says--I'm sorry I said that--you won't stop trying to find out more about it. We are friends, Quentin reminds her--after years of battling, and in two minutes, we're friends--perhaps you'll even agree we can be more than friends. She changes the subject.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote perfectly...

And the expression on Beth's face in the screen capture says it all:

And this is the fourth quote from this ep. The first (Judith - 'I suppose I MUST look at her, MUSTN'T I?') was back on May 7th of 2020, the second (Quentin - 'You MUST be able to hear it now. You MUST!') was back on October 24th of 2020, and the third (Judith - 'You MUST remember-- on Grandmother's hand in the coffin.') was back on September 17th. So that all means that Ep #709 has joined the club with Eps #2, #3, #195, #208, #211, #212, #296, #300, #365, #384, #449, #466, #550, #609, #629, #646, #678, #727, #977, #993, #1057, #1064 and #1111. However, recall that Eps #208, #211, #449, #678, #1057 and #1111 have five quotes...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: August 02, 2022, 02:56:04 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Sunday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Sunday's quote:
Ep #472 (1968) - Barnabas - 'You know how it works? The person inflicting the pain MUST have something belonging to the victim.'

From "#0471/0472: Robservations 05/07/02: Attack on Lang Through Roger"
Barnabas, left alone with Lang, takes the harpoon into his hands and explains that Roger was not there for an examination, but to kill Lang!

Lang takes back the harpoon, shocked at Barnabas' pronouncement. He asks Barn if he's lost his mind.
No, replies Barnabas--but Roger temporarily lost his. Why would he harm him, asks Lang--Roger is a wealthy man with a rep to protect, why would he kill someone he barely knows? Barn explains Roger had no choice--he didn't know why he was there--Roger was possessed by Angelique. Ridiculous, insists Lang--this witch lived 200 years ago, so how could she reach across time to possess Roger? Her spirit is very much alive and determined to perpetuate the curse, says Barn. Lang, a man of science, doesn't buy this. What about your brutal headache and blindness? Barnabas reminds him--a spell caused by Angelique and executed by Roger from Collinwood via black magic. Roger stole your headpiece, says Barn, returning it to him. I misplaced it, insists Lang. No, it was stolen, says Barn, found in Roger's room. Lang sits down, considering all this information with astonishment. It's true, says Barnabas, and although Roger failed to kill him, Ang will order him to try again.
[/spoiler]

Even though the Robservations contains a good deal of detail, it doesn't reference the quote at all. However, how and where the quote comes up is after Barnabas explains that Roger caused Lang's brutal headache and blindness by executing a black magic spell and before Barnabas returns Lang's headpiece and reveals Roger stole it...

A bit of trivia: the sequence at the end of this ep when a shocked Barnabas points and says, "Julia, look!" and she gasps as the camera pans the drawing room to reveal that Angelique's portrait is back on the easel was used as a promo for DS in 1986 by the station that ran DS in my area. I thought it was an odd choice. Yes, it's definitely a thrilling and pivotal moment in the story for those who are watching - but anyone who wasn't watching would have had no idea what the big deal was. It might have encouraged non-viewers to watch the show in the hope of finding out. But it wasn't that the promo ran to promote Ep #472 - it ran to promote the entire series for a period of several weeks after Ep #472 had already aired. Anyone tuning in because of that promo would have had to figure out on their own what the moment was all about and who knows if they ever would have been able to depending on how long a period had passed between the time Ep #472 had aired and they came into the show?

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: August 03, 2022, 03:54:08 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Monday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Monday's quote:
Ep #882 (1897) - Angelique - 'It MUST be quite wonderful to be loved the way you love Amanda Harris.'

From "Robservations 4/8/03 - #882/883 - Walking the Floor With Q; Fire!"
Angelique closes the double doors and says, Quentin, when Barnabas came to ask my help, I had to decide whether or not I would give it--I've decided to do help you get to New York--on one condition--that you take me with you. Angelique...he says. Is the idea so abhorrent to you? she asks.  I was willing to marry you and live here at Collinwood--"What choice did I have, after you threatened to kill Amanda?" he asks, eyes half closed. Amanda! she rants, there's a new life waiting for you in New York, a new life with HER, that's what you keep thinking, her, not me! You answered your own questions, says Q--her, not you. She sits beside him and presses her hand to his face.  "Look at me," she says--there's so much I can do for you, if you'll only let me--at least let me try to make you happy--I can, I promise you I can--please take me to New York with you. I can't, he says, and even if I told you I'd promise not to look for Amanda, I couldn't keep that promise--every night I went to bed, I'd be thinking tomorrow might be the day I'd find her. Then you aren't willing to pay my price for helping you? she asks. I can't, he says, yawning. I see, she says softly, very disappointed. My eyes are burning, he says, I swear I'd do anything just to get some sleep, close them for a while. But you can't, she says, grabbing his arm. "It must be quite wonderful to be loved the way you love Amanda Harris," says Ang wistfully. It only happens once in a lifetime, he says (and should have been Beth!).
With ordinary people, yes, says Ang, teary.
[/spoiler]

And, of course, I chose this quote because of how all Quentin fans are so fully supportive of and love Quentin's relationship with Amanda. Right? ...  [evilg] [tongue11]

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Charansy - 'The show MUST go on--that's the one and only rule there is now') was back on August 6th.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: August 04, 2022, 02:16:08 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Tuesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Tuesday's quote:
Ep #534 (1968) - Carolyn - 'If Prof. Stokes was willing to take you in and try to teach you, then he MUST understand you. He MUST realize that when you ran from his house, it was out of fear, and that means he isn't angry.'

From "Robservations 6/24/02 - #534/535 - The Point of Return?"
he asks her to stay, please--"Stay with Adam." She can't stay long, but she will help him, if he wants. He says he does, gazing at her with love. She notices how many more words he can say, and wonders how. Yes, Adam learn very good, he says (grammar isn't amongst his accomplishments). He displays that he knows the words ground, wall, door, outside, inside, feet, clothes, hands, face, hair (and of course, he touches her hair as he says it). She's amazed, wondering who taught him all those things. Stokes, he says. Joe was right, she realizes, Adam was staying with the professor--why are you here, why aren't you with Stokes? He couldn't, he says--he can't return there--Stokes angry at me for being bad--he didn't tell him that, exactly, and Stokes doesn't know he's in the root cellar, but he knows the professor is mad. Carolyn teaches him to say "I" instead of Adam, and asks if he was happy with Stokes. Yes, he says, Carolyn wants to take him back there, but he refuses. You have no food and it isn't safe, she points out, and Stokes must realize that when you ran from his house, it was out of fear and he isn't angry. No, says Adam, I can't go back there. Carolyn decides to get Stokes, bring him here, assures Adam he isn't angry--stay-and don't leave before I get back, she says.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references only part of the quote, but what it does reference, it does so well...

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Barnabas - 'It's in her nature to love and not destroy. Well there MUST be something in my nature that's like that too-- that... that is worthy of what she's doing for me. And that's why I cannot let it go on, Julia') was back on July 16th of 2021.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: August 05, 2022, 01:16:18 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Wednesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Wednesday's quote:
Ep #300 (1967) - Julia - 'This MUST never happen again. Do you understand? The risk is too great.'

From "#0299/0300: Robservations 01/03/02: Mrs. Burke Devlin?"
He tries to sidestep around her accusation that he paid Vicki a visit the night before, but he defensively claims he only wanted to LOOK at her.
Bull, says Julia, I know what you are and what you REALLY wanted.
[/spoiler]

As I've pointed out before, this Robservations is during the period when they lack detail and the quote is barely referenced. However it comes up soon after Julia has confronted Barnabas over the fact that he'd been in Vicki's room the night before...

And this is the fifth quote from this ep. The first (Barnabas - 'Burke Devlin MUST die!') was back on April 1st of 2020 (and was the one that kicked off this whole slideshow), the second (Barnabas - 'Unfortunately we MUST trust each other. Neither one of us has any other choice') was back on February 18th of 2021, the third (Barnabas - 'You MUST cure me!') was back on August 31st, and the fourth (Julia - 'You MUST cooperate with me. Which reminds me, you broke your word to me') was back on June 15th.

And this ep now shares the [milestone] of a fifth quote with Eps #208, #211, #449, #678, #1057 & #1111.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: August 06, 2022, 02:08:07 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Thursday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Thursday's quote:
Ep #42 (1966) - Carolyn - 'It MUST have cost a lot.'

From "#0041/0042: Robservations 06/15/01: Sam's Torment"
That's not mine, I gave it to you, says Burke seriously. It was just in fun, says Carolyn. I never do anything in fun, says Burke, gazing at her intently, the pen is yours. I couldn't, she insists, it must have cost a lot. Do you think I would give you anything that didn't cost a lot? asks Burke, handing it back--I insists that you take it. She thanks him very much and takes it back. Yes, perhaps you can write down your innermost secrets with it, suggests Burke. I have no secrets, says Carolyn, gazing at the pen. Then you're very fortunate, says Burke. Maybe I'll use it to write down what happens to me every day--I'll start a diary, she says.
You're right, says Burke, everyone should have a diary from the day they are born--the pen is yours. She examines it, takes off the cap (it's a fountain pen), replaces it.
[/spoiler]

And I truly hope that even before you saw the Robservastions' screen captures, right when you read the quote you immediately realized that it's connected to ONE OF THE TRULY MONUMENTAL MOMENTS on DS: the first formal appearance of THE PEN!!!!  [milestone]

And this is the third quote from this ep. The first (James Blair - 'You MUST have noticed that the only property that has a mortgage is the big house itself, Collinwood') was back on April 26th of 2021 (and is a line that I really believe was delivered incorrectly), and the second (Carolyn - 'Well then, your honor, I MUST state that the prisoner did none of those things. I alone am to blame. I confess and throw myself on the mercy of the court') was back on July 13th of 2021

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: August 07, 2022, 01:58:30 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Friday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Friday's quote:
Ep #1197 (1841) - Quentin(reading) - 'For Tad's sake, you MUST know the truth.'

From "#1197/1198: Robservations 12/08/03: The End of 1840/41RT"
Collinwood - Bags are packed, waiting in the foyer.  Quentin exits the drawing room with a note from Samantha (don't ask me how that happened) the contents of which he dubs "beautiful:"  "Dear Quentin--I've done you a great injustice in regard to Tad--whatever else went wrong between us, it didn't involve Tad--I lied to you, he is your son--for Tad's sake, you must know the truth--Samantha."  They hug each other joyously.  Come on, the carriage is waiting, says Quentin.
[/spoiler]

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Judge Vail - 'You MUST refrain from any further demonstrations') was back on August 14th of 2020

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: August 08, 2022, 05:38:37 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Saturday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Saturday's quote:
Ep #1100 (1970) - Daphne - 'Now you MUST do whatever they tell you to do.'

From "#1099/1100: Robservations 09/10/03: Daphne Brought to Life"
Tad and Carrie come in, expressing fear over being taken to Windcliff. It's a hospital or something, says Carrie.
Before night! says Tad. Don't you understand? says Carrie--if they catch us, we won't be able to bring Gerard back!  You must go, insists Daphne. We can't--Gerard! says Tad, holding her hands. He'll understand, says Daphne. He will NOT understand, you know he won't! says Tad. He never understands, adds Carrie.  Gerard will understand, insists Daphne, you must do whatever he tells you to do. She puts placating hands on their shoulders, and, even as Tad cries no, pushes them out the door and orders, return to Collinsport (I'm assuming Collinwood). Run! Daphne says, closing the door after them.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote almost perfectly...

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Daphne - 'Can there be hope for this love of ours--or MUST we be forever apart?') was back on May 10th of 2020.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: August 10, 2022, 02:58:20 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Sunday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Sunday's quote:
Ep #1050 (1970PT) - Roger - 'She MUST have gone to the tower to try to see him again.'

From "#1050/1051: Robservations 08/05/03: Mourning; Claude North and His Dagger"
We've got to find Quentin, insists Roger. I can't believe he did this, says Liz.  No one wants to, says Roger, but... He was always so fond of Carolyn, Liz reminds him. He's not as he was, says Roger. Why is he like he is, why? demands Liz--what made him this way--if I'd only listened to Carolyn when she said she'd seen him. She must have been telling the truth, says Roger. Julia listens to everything; hearing this latter, she carefully asks Liz, when did Carolyn say she saw Quentin?  Yesterday, she said, reveals Liz. Roger speculates--Carolyn must have gone to the tower to try to see him again. If I'd only talked to her, reasoned with her, laments Liz, instead of just dismissing her story as a mad delusion. I'm guilty of that, too, confesses Roger--Carolyn told me a secret, one (he turns to Julia and stops)--it's all our fault, really, he says, we've gone on living in this house half suspecting Quentin was here, ignoring all the signs that pointed to more violence. Liz rises from the sofa--I'm going to my room, she announces. I'll go with you, Julia offers.  No, says Liz, please--if there was only something constructive I could do to let me know I won't feel this way forever.  You shouldn't be alone, insists Roger.  I want to be alone for a few moments, says Liz, and leaves.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote almost perfectly...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: August 10, 2022, 08:02:03 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Monday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Monday's quote:
Ep #891 (1969) - Philip - 'Surely whoever gave it to you MUST have told you.'

From "Robservations 4/14/03 - 890-891 - The Box Goes Whoosh; the Chosen Ones"
Philip can't guess what country it's from. Megan asks Barn if he knows where it's from, but he says he knows little about it--it was given to him. Surely whoever gave it to you must have told you, says Philip, but Barn says no
He's never looked inside, and asks them if they think that strange. Megan smiles and says they're very curious people. Philip asks if he'd consider selling it, but Megan tells her hubby they could never afford it. Barnabas doesn't want it in a shop, but they assure him they would never do that with it. He tells them he can see they are true collectors, and that they will discuss it another time.
[/spoiler]

And this is the third quote from this ep. The first (Megan - 'It MUST be incredibly old') was back on April 9th of 2020, and the second (Philip - 'But you MUST let us pay you something for it') was back on March 18th of 2021.