Author Topic: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow  (Read 118829 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow
« Reply #780 on: May 28, 2021, 05:30:11 AM »
Oh wow, according to the dual slide show, I chose quotes from the same ep (#281) exactly one year apart for this date.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: May 28, 2021, 03:56:28 PM »
Oh wow, according to the dual slide show, I chose quotes from the same ep (#281) exactly one year apart for this date.

I know - isn't that wild? I'm sure it's completely coincidental and what are the odds of it happening?!  [easter_cool]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: May 28, 2021, 06:32:08 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Tuesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Tuesday's quote:
Ep #410 (1796) - Angelique - 'You MUST come to me. At once, Ben. At once!'

From "#0409/0410: Robservations 03/22/02: The "V" Word is Spoken"
Old House, upstairs bedroom - Angelique is furious when Joshua tells her that, because he fears word of the plague will spread and panic the town, Barnabas is to be buried in a secret place, without a service (yeah, like she really wants a service), and that he is telling everyone his son went to England.  She threatens to tell everyone that Barnabas was buried in a secret grave if he doesn't agree to leave her husband with her, she insists, at least until morning, but he nastily informs her she has no rights or protection and what he says goes! Joshua walks out. Angelique, clearly frightened, summons Ben--she needs him immediately!
[/spoiler]

The Robservations paraphrases the essence of the quote but gets the point across well...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: May 29, 2021, 06:06:23 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Wednesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Wednesday's quote:
Ep #616 (1968) - Maggie - 'Nicholas, I MUST see him.'

From "Robservations 8/22/02 - #616/617 - Barnabas Flies the Coop; Roger's Terrible Nightmare"
Nicholas says it's better to be completely free of Joe--now she can get back to making decisions she avoided making before. She agrees with a wan smile. She asks him to take her to see Barnabas, now, but Nick says he's in no condition to receive visitors. She feels responsible; she could have warned Barnabas. Nick asks how she could possibly have taken Joe seriously--don't you think a quiet evening at home would be better? I must see Barnabas, she says. I am yours to command, says Nicholas.
[/spoiler]

Again the Robservations paraphrases the essence of the quote but gets the point across well...

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Willie - 'I hear them too, and I know what you MUST be goin' through') was back on August 13th.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: May 30, 2021, 05:50:11 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Thursday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Thursday's quote:
Ep #742 (1897) - Barnabas - 'Tell me why you MUST have the children!'

From "Robservations 12/17/02 - #742-743 - Laura Sends Jenny After Q"
Barnabas calls for Amen Ra to let the way be open for her.  Charity feels something happening becomes upset.  A ghostly Laura look-alike dressed in 18th century clothing appears and accuses Barnabas of disturbing her.  Who are you? he asks.  Laura Stockbridge Collins, she replies.  Are you the same as the woman who lives here now? asks Barn. I am Laura Stockbridge Collins, she informs him.  Why have you returned to Collinwood? he asks.  "The children shall be mine," says the woman. This causes Charity to scream "NO!" and race from the house.  Why must you have the children? asks Barnabas.  Quentin bursts in, sees the apparition, and stops short.  "Oh, no!  Oh my God!" he cries.  The ghost lets loose with a scream and disappears.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations drops the "Tell me" (which wouldn't have been very good if we were doing another month of "To Tell Or Not To Tell" quotes) and switches words around in the rest - but it still references the quote well...

And this is the third quote from this ep. The first (Beth - 'But we haven't settled it yet--sooner or later, we MUST') was back on April 22nd of 2020, and the second (Dirk - 'MUST be a storm coming up') was back on this past April 17th.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: May 31, 2021, 02:14:06 AM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Friday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Friday's quote:
Ep #281 (1967) - Barnabas - 'No, you MUSTN'T. Have some more wine.'

From "#0281/0282: Robservations 12/12/01: Josette Speaks Through Vicki"
Everyone tells the revived Vicki what happened, that Josette spoke through her again--and she was going to tell who was chasing Josette! Barnabas insists that person is moldering in a grave after 200 years, so cut it out. They speculate--last time Josette spoke through Vicki, she was warning of danger to David. Was she giving them another warning? Who was in danger this time? Could it have had something to do with Maggie's killer? Barnabas, rattled, points out that Maggie's kidnapper/killer had nothing to do with the Collins family (yeah, right). Vicki says she wants to get some fresh air
[/spoiler]

Another Robservations with less detail than normal. And is often the case with this sort, the quote isn't even referenced at all. However the circumstances surrounding the quote begin after Vicki agrees that the situation connected to Maggie's "death" has nothing to do with Josette and Vicki suddenly begins to feel the aftereffects of the seance. Vicki says she feels as if she'd been running as fast as she could and as far as she could. Burke jumps in to offer to take her home, but Vicki protests that she's all right and just a little bit tired. She doesn't want to go. And that's when Barnabas delivers the quote, after which Vicki says she would really like some fresh air.

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Vicki(possessed by Josette) -'He MUSTN'T catch me!') was amazingly exactly a year ago to the date of this Friday's, on May 28th.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: May 31, 2021, 04:34:47 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Saturday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Saturday's quote:
Ep #523 (1968) - Nicholas - 'Surely you MUST know by this time, Reverend, that there is no rest for the wicked.'

From "Robservations 6/17/02 - #523/524 - Jeff, Peter, Peter, Jeff"
Trask, free of the wall, demands to know who disturbs his rest. Nicholas tells him he's disturbed his plan and one bad turn deserves another. You will obey me, insists Nick, as there is no rest for the wicked. Nicholas laughs at him when he calls himself a man of God, and says, in his time, he was the greatest of fools, a bigot, fraud, intolerant, cruel and unjust-a man after Nick's own heart. Trask calls Nick the devil himself, come to tempt him, or at least in league with him, but he WONT be tempted! Nick says he has no choice.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references part of the quote - and at least it's the best part.

I do love Trask's reaction when Nicholas accuses him of being wicked, particularly the expression on his face. -

- It's priceless!  [easter_grin]  And of course, this was definitely one of the scenes that those religious groups objected to the most. And sadly in some parts pf the country (including New England) they did manage to get DS either taken off the air or shifted to time periods when kids couldn't see it. But thankfully their win was only temporary - mostly because, despite their best efforts, DS' ratings were rising and rising with the addition of Quentin to the show so there was a great deal of pressure on those wayward affiliates to return DS to its intended time period...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: June 01, 2021, 10:44:10 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Sunday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Sunday's quote:
Ep #727 (1897) - Rachel - 'If they're here, I MUST face them, without fear, but how?'

From "Robservations 11/14/02 - #726/727 - Barnabas Gets a Bit of Charity"
Rachel explains she works for the Collins now.
Charity asks, "Do they KNOW about you?" Rachel looks scared. Charity says, your face has answered that one for you--servants must be very hard to find. "I'm the governess," says Rachel defensively. There is some justice, comments Charity--if my father were given to amusement, that would amuse him. "Will you take me to him, or is that someone else's. . .job?" Rachel is horrified to hear the Reverend Trask is here. Didn't you know? asks Charity, they sent for him--something must be done with the children of the house--but then you must know that. Poor Rachel looks ill. Barnabas appears on the landing. "You must be Miss Trask," he says. Yes, she says. Your father was concerned about you, says Barn. Charity asks Barnabas, take me to my father, since Miss Drummond doesn't seem to know where he is. Barnabas, noticing Rachel's distress, takes Charity's bag from her. "Father will so look forward to his reunion with you," says Charity, turning her back on Rachel, who covers her face (and this is noticed by Barnabas). Barnabas and Charity head upstairs. Panicked, Rachel tells herself, I can't just run from the house, not again, if they are here, I must face them, without fear, but how?--how can I do that?
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote perfectly...

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Quentin - 'But we MUSTN'T make a habit of agreeing, Barnabas') was back on March 25th.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: June 02, 2021, 03:22:12 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Monday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Monday's quote:
Ep #609 (1968) - Eve - 'Adam, you MUST stop calling me. I hate it. I'm not your servant.'

From "Robservations 8/16/02 - #608/609 - Rivals For a Vampire's Affections"
Harry reports Carolyn's answer to Adam, who is thrilled. Was she pleased? asks Adam. Yes, says Harry, and this makes Adam happy. Nicholas must know nothing about this, Adam reminds him. He opens a door and calls to Eve. Harry says he's sure Nicholas wouldn't like what's going to happen, but Adam tells him to just go, he wants to be alone with Eve. Fine with me, says Harry, since you two aren't good company--you fight all the time, or haven't you noticed? Harry shakes his head at Adam before leaving the house. Eve comes out and tells Adam to stop calling her--she isn't his servant. I have marvelous news, says Adam, my surprise is going to happen.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations leaves out parts of the quote, particularly using "must" - but at the same time it references the quote well...

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Adam - 'Nicholas MUST know nothing about this--nothing!') was back on April 19th of 2020.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: June 03, 2021, 05:46:41 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Tuesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Tuesday's quote:
Ep #643 (1968) - Roger - 'He MUST have been a boy when this was sent to him.'

From "Robservations 9/12/02 - #643/644 - David, Amy and Quentin"
Roger goes into the drawing room and opens his briefcase on the desk. A large book falls from the piano to the floor. Roger turns and looks at it. He picks it up and opens it. He finds a piece of paper inside, a letter. He looks at it, puzzled. When Carolyn comes in, he tells her it's a letter addressed to his father, Jamison, dated 1887. He must have been a boy, muses Roger. "Dear Jamison, you must return to Collinwood, I need your help. You must intercede with Oscar. Only you can save me." They wonder what it means. It's signed "Quentin." Roger doesn't know the ancestor, who spent most of his time abroad, well. Roger describes how he found the letter in the book, which toppled from the piano. He wasn't anywhere near when it happened. They wonder how it could have fallen. Carolyn says SHE did it--Magda--she wanted them to see the letter.
[/spoiler]

Once again the Robservations leaves out a part of a quote but still references the quote well...

Aside from that fact that "Oscar" is mentioned in the letter and that character was renamed Edward somewhere along the way before the show reached the 1897 storyline, the subject of the letter seems a bit odd when one realizes that not only would Jamison have been a boy when the letter was sent to him, in 1887 and in the person of David Henesy, Jamison would have only been something like 2- or 3-years-old. What adult would be writing a 2- or 3-year-old to intercede with an adult?! But apparently they weren't thinking like that at the time they dated the letter, nor were they likely to have been thinking of David Henesy playing Jamison in the 1897 storyline (though they probably should have) or they never would have made such a big blunder. Though at least originally the audience had probably forgotten all about that letter by the time the 1897 storyline came around three months later. It's only those of us who've rewatched the show who see the letter for the blunder it really was...

And this is the second quote from this ep - and not only the second, but the second from this same scene. The first (Roger(reading) - 'You MUST intercede with Oscar. Only you can save me') was back on September 6th.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: June 04, 2021, 02:56:08 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Wednesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Wednesday's quote:
Ep #702 (1897) - Barnabas - 'I have no time for your questions-- you MUST answer mine!'

From "Robservations 10/24/02 - #702/703 - Gypsies, Tramps & Thieves"
Sandor comes to consciousness with two fresh, bloody holes in his throat. He asks Barnabas what happened--who are you? Barnabas, a drop of blood in one corner of his mouth, tells Sandor he has no time for his questions--but you must answer some of mine--who are you? and Sandor tells him--I live at the Old House--and the year is 1897. I wanted to find Quentin, mutters Barnabas, but not. . .not (by becoming a vampire again are the unspoken words). Quentin just came home, Sandor reveals, tonight--he shipped out on a boat about a year ago, but I don't know where he went. I didn't want it this way, laments Barnabas, how can I help David if I'm back in another time--how?
[/spoiler]

While not exact, the Robservations references the quote well...

And when I heard the quote I just knew I had to use it. After all, it's typical Barnabas - it's all about me and what I want...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: June 05, 2021, 06:12:17 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Thursday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Thursday's quote:
Ep #3 (1966) - Burke - 'You've been hanging around that house for a long time. You MUST have seen a lot-- heard a lot.'

From "#0003/0004: Robservations 05/18/01: Fears About Burke"
Have you ever been to Montevideo? asks Devlin. The furthest I've ever been is Boston, says Joe. There's a bar there, says Burke--crummy joint, butts all over the place, glasses look like they haven't been washed in years--would you believe it, in that filthy hole is where I started to make it big--and do you know why?--a character came over to my table, sat down, made me a proposition, and I didn't think for a minute--I snapped at it, and was on my way. That's you, not me, says Joe. All I'm asking, says Burke, is for you to get your boat--marry Carolyn and be a happy man. I intend to do that, but by myself, says Joe. How long do you think it will take you? asks Burke. Joe says he'll manage. You've been hanging around that house for a long time, says Burke--you must have seen and heard a lot--that's all I want to know--anything--important--unimportant. Sorry, says Joe. Don't make a mistake, advises Devlin.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote almost perfectly...

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Carolyn - 'Oh, good old Uncle Isaac-- Isaac Collins. He's the one who began it all: Started the whole wingding back in the 17th century, built the fishing fleet, founded the town, gave it a name-- the works.  He MUST have really been something') was back on September 1st.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: June 05, 2021, 06:31:20 PM »
I do wonder what kind of proposition that guy made Burke at that dive in Montevideo. It would have been quite ironic if the stranger's name had been Strake.
And just what was young Burke posing for at age ten?
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: June 06, 2021, 05:06:45 PM »
I do wonder what kind of proposition that guy made Burke at that dive in Montevideo. It would have been quite ironic if the stranger's name had been Strake.

Indeed it would have been.  [easter_wink]  And think of the conspiracy theories it could generate regarding the reason Burke's plane crashed...

And just what was young Burke posing for at age ten?

Inquiring minds do have to wonder. Though we'll never know the answers to that or the former situations.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: June 06, 2021, 05:16:11 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Friday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Friday's quote:
Ep #1203 (1841PT) - Quentin - 'Well, violence MUST manifest itself, I mean, through, through someone. Now, when we brought Father out of the room, he was the one who had violent streaks-- now he's dead-- but violence MUST manifest itself through someone.'

From "#1203/1204: Robservations 12/11/03: Naive Fiancee"
Parlor - Julia tells Quentin what happened--if I hadn't walked into the room when I did, she says, Catherine would have been dead, Melanie would have killed her.  Did you tell Mother? asks Quentin.  Yes, she's as baffled as I am, says Julia.  It's obvious violence is inevitable, says Quentin--it must manifest itself through someone, and when they brought Father out of the room, he was the one who had violent streaks--now he's dead--but violence must manifest itself through someone--you know it could probably have happened to any one of us.  Do you think it might have happened because of the postponing of the lottery? asks Julia.  I don't know, he says.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote quite well...