Author Topic: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow  (Read 117433 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow
« Reply #750 on: May 01, 2021, 10:26:05 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Thursday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Thursday's quote:
Ep #586 (1968) - Nicholas - 'No...no! We MUST stop them! We MUST stop them now!'

From "Robservations 8/1/02 - #586/587 - Things Come to a Head"
Barnabas is stalling, insists Adam, the life force is holding him up. Nicholas says he should have come to him when Barn was looking for the life force. Nicholas' mouth drops open when he hears Barnabas' choice for the life force--Maggie Evans. Nicholas assures Adam he knows where the lady lives. Barnabas went to get Maggie, says Adam, but Nicholas waves a finger at him and says, in a ragged voice, "NO. . .no, we must stop them NOW!" Adam gazes with puzzlement at the angry warlock.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations leaves out part of the quote  - but what is there is referenced well...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: May 02, 2021, 06:02:05 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Friday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Friday's quote:
Ep #365 (1967) - Carolyn - 'Do you want to stop it, Barnabas? MUST you stop it?'

From "#0365/0366: Robservations 02/21/02 - - Welcome to 1795, Vicki!"
At the Old House, Barnabas stares out at the storm, then walks around the drawing room, ruminating. Where is Sarah is now? Why did she leave me before I could explain? What can I explain? My life? No. That I still love her? I am still her loving brother, I am not to blame for what has happened to me, I didn't choose this. Or would she rather I was dead--would she forgive me then? Barnabas hears a knock at the door, but before opening it, he asks who it is. Carolyn responds, telling him to let her in. He opens the door partway and tells her he isn't up for company tonight; he has much thinking to do. When she warns him there's going to be a seance at Collinwood, he opens the door fully, allowing her in. The others at Collinwood want to speak to Sarah, Carolyn tells him. Not tonight! Says Barnabas, horrified, remembering what transpired this evening between his sister and him. Julia and Mother are determined to go through with it, says Carolyn, concerned--"Do you want to stop it? Must you stop it?" she asks him.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations leaves out Barnabas' name from the quote - but again, what is there is referenced well...

And it's not a complete coincidence that this quote and Thursday's (Nicholas - 'No...no! We MUST stop them! We MUST stop them now!') are both "Must Stop" quotes. I didn't go looking for ones like that for Friday - but when I saw that one was available for the storyline to be featured for Friday, I did definitely pick it deliberately. Think of the two days as sort of a mini "Must Stop" sub-theme.  [easter_wink]

One thing that is a complete coincidence is that the latest quote for April 30th is an opposite of the one for last year. This year we have: Carolyn - 'Do you want to stop it, Barnabas? MUST you stop it?' But last year we had: Madame Findley - 'A war is being waged and we MUST find the one who started it.'

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: May 03, 2021, 07:16:30 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Saturday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Saturday's quote:
Ep #6 (1966) - Vicki - 'I mean, if she's been waiting for him all these years, hoping he'll come back, he MUST have been quite a man.'

From "#0005/0006: Robservations 05/21/01: Vicki Makes Her Decision"
You're very fond of Mrs. Stoddard, aren't you? she asks. A-yuh, he says, sounding like a Maine man. You've know her for a long time, says Vicki. Another assenting A-yuh from Matthew. And her husband, did you know him? asks Vicki. Why should you be asking about him? Matthew asks. Vicki says she heard the story of how he left her 18 years ago and how she stayed here on the hill ever since--and I wondered what kind of a man he was--if she's been waiting for him all these years, hoping he'll come back...he must have been quite a man. I don't know nothing about him, says Matthew, surly, but I do know Mrs. Stoddard's a great lady--and don't you forget it! I think she's very nice, says Vicki.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations leaves out the very beginning of the quote - but again, it references the rest quite well. And as we'll learn down the line, Paul Stoddard was indeed "quite a man," though certainly not exactly in the way Vicki meant. Though of course, Vicki was judging off of the lie to explain why Liz hadn't left Collinwood for 18 years...

And another thing that's purely coincidental is the timing of this quote and the previous year's. This time's (Vicki - 'I mean, if she's been waiting for him all these years, hoping he'll come back, he MUST have been quite a man) is from Matthew's first ep and May 1, 2020's (Matthew - 'Voices callin' ta me--you heard 'em, you MUST of!) is from one of his last eps...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: May 04, 2021, 06:30:53 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Sunday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Sunday's quote:
Ep #134 (1966) - Roger - 'I MUST say I'm very pleased with this new-found attitude.'

From "#0134/0135: Robservations 08/22/01: David Changes His Mind"
Drawing room - So you understand my reluctance, Liz tells Laura. I've learned to understand a great deal, says Laura, and to tolerate much. There's no doubt that you've undergone a complete personality change, remarks Liz--much for the better--what I can't get out of my mind is the image of the former you. I wish you could erase it, says Laura. I wish I could, says Liz. I'd like to help you if you'd let me, says Laura. From the time you decided to renounce being a mother, says Liz, I've tried to fill in that gap. I can't tell you how very much I appreciate it, says Laura. But I'm afraid I haven't been completely successful, says Liz--David still knows the difference. I'm here now to perform that function, she says--it's the only thing I want from life. I must say I'm very pleased with this new-found attitude, says Roger, but I've gotten very used to having David around, it won't be easy to see him go--but on the other hand, if it's the best thing for him, then I am for it.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote exactly...

The dress Diana Millay is wearing is so billowy that one would never know she was pregnant when she did this storyline.

Though hiding that fact is the whole point of how she was dressed and shot. But that being said, I don't think I've ever read/heard just exactly how pregnant she was...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: May 05, 2021, 07:08:28 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Monday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Monday's quote:
Ep #365 (1967) - Liz - 'But you MUST say more.'

From "#0365/0366: Robservations 02/21/02 - - Welcome to 1795, Vicki!"
Study - Roger and Liz confront Julia, who will only admit that Sarah is NOT imaginary--she thinks Sarah is a ghost.
[/spoiler]

Once again we come across a Robservations that doesn't reference the quote at all. So the circumstances surrounding the quote are that after Roger apologizes for disturbing Julia but emphasizing that both he and his sister thought it important, Liz adds that she couldn't talk to her in front of David. Julia advises that they should consider that David is telling the truth, that Sarah is not imaginary - but then says that she can't say any more. And it's at that point that Liz delivers the quote, and Roger begs, "Yes, please." To that Julia offers that if they'd asked her before she came to Collinwood if she believed in ghosts, which Roger interrupts with an incredulous, "Ghosts?! Are we talking about ghosts?!" Julia respond that yes, she believes they are. She begins to explain that first Maggie Evans saw a little girl, and Liz asks if she's seen her. After Julia admits that she has, in true Roger fashion he insists, "I don't believe it! Ghosts?!" But Julia asks, "What else could she be?"

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Carolyn - 'Do you want to stop it, Barnabas? MUST you stop it?') was just back on April 30th - however, I picked that one, whereas Midnite is doing this month's quotes - plus they're two totally different types of quotes...

And as an aside that has nothing to do with quotes, I love how soon after Roger arrives home out of a raging storm he questions why the weatherman is always wrong, adding that two afternoon papers said "clear and mild." He then complains that obviously they don't realize their responsibilities. But, oh, foolish man - hasn't he figured out yet that despite what any weatherman might say, storms are going to rage over Collinsport anyway?  [easter_wink] [easter_cheesy]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: May 06, 2021, 07:44:08 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Tuesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Tuesday's quote:
Eps #459 & #661 (1796) - Joshua - 'You have caused enough destruction. You MUST NOT cause more.'

The reason that quote is attributed to two different eps is because it was originally said in Ep #459 -

From "#0459/0460: Robservations 04/26/02: Finale"
The curse must be ended, insists Joshua, and he'll do it. He can't allow this to go on any longer, anymore people to die--he must destroy him, but he couldn't drive a stake through his heart. There's another way, says Joshua, a silver bullet fired directly into his heart will do the job. He learned this in Boston. He must destroy him, and if Barnabas has any human feeling left, he'll let him do it. He's sent Riggs into town to have a silver candelabra turned into 6 bullets, and he will use those bullets to destroy him. Barnabas asks where Forbes is, and Joshua is about to respond when Ben burst in--Vicki is gone! Search the grounds, orders Joshua. Barn asks if there's a price on Vicki's head, and they both realize Nathan took her to get the money. He must die, insists Barnabas, but Joshua doesn't want that. He's responsible for Naomi's death, says Barnabas, but Joshua doesn't want his son committing anymore destruction.
This will be his one last act, says Barnabas, "and one which will give me enormous pleasure." Joshua can't stop him--no one can. Barnabas walks out, leaving Joshua absolutely miserable.

- as well as in Ep #661 as part of a flashback when Barnabas was explaining to Julia about the events of his last day in 1796 -

From "Robservations 9/24/02 - #660-661 - A Trip Back to the Past"
Joshua insists the curse must be ended. Barnabas tells him it cannot be ended, but Joshua says it will, and he will do it--I can't allow more people to die--I must destroy you. Joshua can't bring himself to driving a stake through his son's heart, although Barnabas says it's the only way. No, says Joshua, silver bullets fired directly into your heart will destroy you--I learned this in Boston from an ancient volume of witchcraft--destruction will be instantaneous. His voice ragged with unshed tears, Joshua says, "I must destroy you! If you have any human feeling left, you will not try to stop me." I sent Riggs to town with a silver candelabra to have six bullets made--I will fire those bullets into your heart. Barnabas asks of Forbes' whereabouts--he must die! Joshua begs him not to do this. Barnabas doesn't understand why he wants to allow the blackguard to live--if not for him, Naomi would still be alive!--you should hate him as much as I do. Joshua protests it isn't Forbes that concerns him, but Barnabas--my son has caused enough destruction and must not cause more. Barnabas promises this will be his one last act of destruction--and one that will give me enormous pleasure. Joshua begs him not to do it, but Barnabas says he can't stop him, no one can.
[/spoiler]

And we can definitely see that Robin didn't simply copy what she'd already written for the Robservations for Ep #459 when she did the one for Ep #661 because they're different. In fact, the quote is referenced much better in the Robservations for Ep #661 than it is in the one for Ep #459...

And there's a good reason that the Robservations for Ep #661 makes no reference to Ben bursting into the drawing room to reveal Vicki is gone or to Barnabas and Joshua deducing that Nathan must have taken her in order to collect the price on Vicki's head - it's because all of that was edited out. At first one might suspect it was cut so that Thayer David wouldn't have to be paid for appearing in the ep, but he does appear in two other flashback scenes, so that's not it. So, the edit may have simply been made for time or to tighten up the focus on how Joshua planned to destroy Barnabas. But, considering that the whole point of Barnabas explaining the 1796 events is because he wants to travel back in time to save Vicki, it might have been a nice touch to remind the audience how Nathan had taken Vicki. But then again, given that after Vicki returned to the present Barnabas only recalled the events of 1796 as they originally occurred with Phyllis Wick and he greatly feared what had happened when Vicki took Phyllis' place, perhaps they decided to get rid of all references to Vicki so as to remain within that narrative for Barnabas. It might be amazing if so because, as we all know, DS was never one to adhere to continuity. But who knows? The only thing that's certain is what was cut from the scene for the flashback...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: May 07, 2021, 06:02:41 PM »
But then again, given that after Vicki returned to the present Barnabas only recalled the events of 1796 as they originally occurred with Phyllis Wick and he greatly feared what had happened when Vicki took Phyllis' place, perhaps they decided to get rid of all references to Vicki so as to remain within that narrative for Barnabas. It might be amazing if so because, as we all know, DS was never one to adhere to continuity. But who knows?

I just realized that references to Vicki definitely weren't cut to stay within the original narrative that Barnabas only remembered events as they'd played out with Phyllis Wick because a later flashback in Ep #661 does indeed include discussion of Vicki by name -

From "Robservations 9/24/02 - #660-661 - A Trip Back to the Past"
It's dawn. Father and son face each other awkwardly. Barnabas asks for two things--free Ben, he deserves it--he's been loyal to me since all this started--and, help save Miss Winters. I've already tried and failed, says Joshua. Barnabas begs him to send a note to the governor--use your prestige--you might get a stay of execution and a new trial. Joshua promises to fulfill his requests.

- obviously I was quite foolish to even suggest staying within continuity as a reason.  [easter_rolleyes]  So I suppose the likeliest reasons are that the edit may have simply been made for time or to tighten up the focus on how Joshua planned to destroy Barnabas...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: May 08, 2021, 07:38:52 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Wednesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Wednesday's quote:
Ep #601 (1968) - Julia - 'Yes, Nicholas stopped it. He MUST have been there when the... when the spirit attacked Adam and he MUST have used his powers to drive the spirit away.'

From "Robservations 8/12/02 #600/601 - A Chilling Summons"
Nick warns the spirit it will be consumed by the eternal fires of hell as both Barnabas and Adam announce that they can't breathe. (yet they can talk!) Nicholas succeeds in banishing the spirit; Adam can breathe, as can Barnabas. Adam assures Nick he's all right. He doesn't understand what happened. Barn tells Julie the pain is gone; he has no idea what happened. Nick promises Adam it will never happen again, but won't explain how he stopped it--rest, Nick urges Adam. Julia tells Barnabas Nicholas stopped it--he must have been there when the spirit attacked Adam and used his powers to drive away the spirit.
[/spoiler]

Even though the Robservations doesn't reference the quote word for word, it does reference it quite well...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: May 10, 2021, 06:28:01 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Thursday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Thursday's quote:
Ep #647 (1968) - Madame Findley - 'No. No, Mrs. Stoddard. You MUST tell nothing about this house, neither its history nor your personal experiences.'

From "Robservations 9/16/02 - #647/648 - Madame Findlay Tries to Help"
A dark-haired, exotic woman stands in Collinwood's foyer and tells Liz not to tell her anything about the house, not the history nor personal experiences. She doesn't want to know what to expect. This is Madame Findlay, a medium, and she only has her own sensitivities.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations certainly reference the quote well, though not as a direct quote or by including "must"...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: May 12, 2021, 05:42:09 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Friday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Friday's quote:
Ep #764 (1897) - Evan - 'When the moment comes-- the real moment-- everything MUST go smoothly and without error. You understand?'

From "Robservations 1/13/03 - #764-765 - Are Silver Bullets a Solution?"
Tim is licking his finger and reading the text.  He has four pages left to go.  Evan tells him he's done quite enough; he's very impressed with his work.  He suggests they "try the card."  Yes, says Tim vacantly.  They sit at the table.  This time, no mistakes, Tim, warns Evan, when the real time comes, all must go without error.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote well, though, again, not directly word for word - but at least this time it does include "must"...

And Evan actually says "try the cards," plural, not singular...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: May 13, 2021, 07:34:41 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Saturday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Saturday's quote:
Ep #942 (1970) - David - 'It said, "For the leader of the Leviathan, there is only one enemy to be feared beyond all others, and that it is against this enemy he MUST be protected." Then it said, "The wolf that walks like a man."'

From "Robservations 5/16/03 - Maggie and the Zombie; Followed By a Moon Poppy"
Antique shop - David tells Jeb--I came because I had to talk to you about something--Maggie Evans is missing, and no one knows where she is.  Too bad, remarks Jeb. Do you know where she is? asks David.  No, says Jeb.  Good, says David, because Maggie isn't the only reason I came--I must speak to you about something else--warn you--Barnabas was speaking to me about my accident, and thinks it shows you're headstrong--a weakness--Barnabas suggested the book might explain any other weakness you might have--he told me to look in it, and tell him--I didn't tell Barnabas what I'd found, I came here to tell you--it said for the leader of the Leviathans, there is only one enemy to be feared above all others, and must be protected from--the wolf that walks like a man.
This revelation makes Jeb's voice tremble--forget that, he says, there can't be a wolf within a million miles of here, there can't be!  I didn't understand what it meant, says David, I just wanted to warn you.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations paraphrases some of the quote but still manages to reference it well...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: May 14, 2021, 07:44:28 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Sunday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Sunday's quote:
Ep #1020 (1970PT) - Barnabas - 'The lust. The lust. I MUST find someone to make me stop thinking of Maggie. I MUST find someone tonight!'

From "#1020/1021: Robservations 07/15/03: Buffie, the Vampire Victim"
Barnabas exits the house and stands outside, lamenting, "The lust...the lust!" He closes his eyes as if in pain. "I must find someone to make me stop thinking of Maggie--I must find someone tonight!"
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote perfectly...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: May 15, 2021, 06:56:20 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Monday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Monday's quote:
Ep #1074 (1970) - Carolyn - 'You MUST remember your mother and father when they were alive-- when you were happy together.'

From "#1074/1075: Robservations - 08/21/03: Lilacs"
Hearing Hallie's voice suddenly forced, too happy, Carolyn asks, is everything all right? I have trouble sleeping sometimes, the girl admits. So did I, says Carolyn. I really have to stop thinking about the accident, says Hallie. Yes, agrees Carolyn, you must remember your mother and father when they were alive, when you were happy together-I know, I've lost someone I loved very much, too.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote perfectly...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: May 16, 2021, 05:36:04 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Tuesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Tuesday's quote:
Ep #1121 (1840) - Quentin - 'You married Gerard. You MUST have a feeling for him.'

From "#1121/1122: Robservations 09/25/03: A Sticky Domestic Situation"
You always fall back on the occult, says Samantha.  I thought I had reached you, he insists, that you knew--I wanted to believe that so very much
--oh, what are we doing, standing here talking like this?  What else can we do now? she asks.  There's so much you've got to tell me, says Quentin.  So very much, she agrees.  Are you ready to talk about us? he asks.  Are you? she counters.  He looks guilty, then asks, "How's Father?"  She asks him what she's going to do--tell her!  You tell me, he says, because you're the one who's going to have to make the decision.  She looks at him, uncertain.

I have to decide? she asks.  You married Gerard, points out Quentin, you must have a feeling for him.  But that doesn't mean I don't have a feeling for you, she says.  I know that, he says softly.
[/spoiler]

The quote is referenced perfectly in the Robservations...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: May 17, 2021, 05:58:02 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Wednesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Wednesday's quote:
Ep #1222 (1841PT) - Kendrick - 'Is Gabriel in the house or near the house? I MUST know.'

From "#1222/1223: Robservations 12/24/03: Morgan is Possessed"
Kendrick asks her to look at him, and she does.  I want you to answer me something honestly, he says--is Gabriel in the house or near the house, I must know.  He isn't, says Melanie.  Where can he be? wonders Kendrick, frustrated, smacking his fist into his other hand--I've gone this far, I've got to find out--for Stella's sake!--he killed my sister and he must pay for it!  He didn't kill her! says Melanie.  What are you saying? asks Kendrick  He didn't, she says, I just know it.  Kendrick pulls her around to face him, demanding, "If Gabriel didn't do it, then who did?"  I don't know, says Melanie, growing upset, but someone else, not Gabriel!  Kendrick stares at her.
[/spoiler]

Once again the quote is referenced perfectly in the Robservations...