Author Topic: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow  (Read 116551 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow
« Reply #330 on: September 08, 2020, 11:14:10 PM »
Diana Millay certainly looks the archetypal mid-60s soap opera star!

Definitely! Whoever cast Millay was really spot on when they did it because she's a perfect Laura.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: September 08, 2020, 11:22:24 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding yesterday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Yesterday's quote:
Ep #750 (1897) - Sandor - 'We MUST make plans to leave here after tonight.'

From "Robservations 1/2/03 - 750-751 - Quentin's Terror Begins"
Sandor joins Magda at Jenny's grave.  He helps her to her feet, telling her they will go back to the house now.  Magda wants to stay longer.  We must leave tonight, insists Sandor, because when the curse begins to work, our lives will be in danger.  Patting her husband's hand, Magda assures him, I know of protection for us, but the Collinses will be in danger--each of them could be a victim of Quentin's curse--I don't want to leave, but stay and watch them be destroyed, one by one
[/spoiler]

Again Robservations rephrases a quote, though it makes it appear that Sandor believes he and Magda must leave that night even though Sandor clearly says "after tonight." After all, they can't leave that night - they have to be sure that the curse has been fulfilled.  [ghost_wink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: September 09, 2020, 02:38:11 PM »
Love today's shot of Magda and Sandor!

And here it is for anyone who missed it:

This was right after Magda had put the big curse on Quentin, if I recall aright.

Yes, at the end of Ep #749 Magda sneakily made sure Quentin was unaware when he drank the potion that would begin the curse, and when the moon rises in Ep #750 (the one the capture comes from) Magda recites the curse's incantation...

Then she found out she'd cursed her own family. One of the best DS storylines

The look on Magda's face once she realizes what she has done says it all.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 09, 2020, 02:48:10 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding yesterday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

Ep #899 (1969) - Liz - 'You MUST give love to get it.'

From "Robservations 4/18/03 - #899-900 - Paul's Most Precious Possession"
Paul insists, I never loved any other woman. You never loved anyone, says Liz--what do you want from me now? Nothing, he says. Good, she responds, because that's exactly what you're going to get, from me or any Collins. If you still call yourself a Collins; why did you keep my name? He asks. For Carolyn, she says. I'm glad you admit that, he says, because if Carolyn has MY name, she is partly mine. Did you think of that when she was a child? demands Liz--when she was growing up? No, and it was a terrible mistake, he says. You're always willing to admit to your mistakes, she says, then make them all over again--I have made a new life for myself!  You've simply returned to being a Collins! Shouts Paul--a lifetime occupation for you. There was a time you weren't ashamed of the Collins,' she cries, or did you want to be connected with them so you could steal? What did you expect? He asks--I never got love from any of you. You must give love to get it, says Liz. Carolyn loves me, I know that, he says--so I can love!  Carolyn made a mistake, says Liz--get out of town, Paul, I mean it. Where shall I go? he asks, where can I find anything--answer me, where can I find anything? Go back to that successful life you were boasting about, she suggests.
It's true, he says, but lately, things haven't been going so well--it could happen in any man's life and will straighten itself out. I don't care if it does or not, says Liz, but if you stay in Collinsport, I will make sure it's a visit you won't forget.
[/spoiler]

This is a spectacular scene/confrontation - definitely years in the making. And Liz certainly makes Paul's stay in Collinsport a visit he won't forget, though not in the ways she was thinking when she said it...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 09, 2020, 03:28:39 PM »
Great shot of Yeagar and Buffie. It's at least a quarter of a century since I last watched these episodes. It looks somewhat early on because Chris seems to have the nose prothesis on. They had to abandon that, if I recall correctly, when it started coming off during one scene. He probably simply sweated too much for the putty to be stable. Those studio lights were hot. I always feel for Thayer in those scenes where Petofi had that big fur coat on. And he was already wearing that huge Petofi wig...

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 10, 2020, 03:50:59 PM »
Another great photo today--the lighting on Joan's face and the drab curtain backdrop carries a hint of film noir.

And here it is:

Unlike RD with his scene partners, Dennis Patrick made a concerted effort not to block Joan Bennett's light during that section of their scene. For that he definitely deserves a [thumb]

The return of Paul Stoddard was another great storyline that was run abruptly into the ground, most likely due to Dan Curtis's interference with the plot.

As great as it was to see Joan get to play Liz under the Leviathans influence, it would have been great if we got to see Liz' relationship with Paul play out fully without the Leviathans' sway guiding things. Given the history that was established for Liz and Paul during the Jason blackmail plot, more scenes like the one the quote comes from could have made for a really engrossing story - but, of course, that's not the way they (DC, most probably) wanted things to go. Sad...

And from what I've read, that had to do with all the hate mail fans sent in complaining about a storyline in which Barnabas was evil and duplicitous--just as he had originally been in 1967.

Supposedly the show received a huge amount of hate mail regarding that. But most of it most probably came from viewers who had never seen Barnabas prior to 1795. The evil and duplicitous Barnabas seems to have come as a huge shock to them, whereas the viewers who had seen the 1967 Barnabas knew all about that side of Barnabas. Plus, they knew Frid was not only excellent at playing it, he really enjoyed playing it. But alas...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 10, 2020, 08:54:06 PM »

Ep #997 (1970PT) - Yaeger - 'That's an invaluable thing to know-- something you MUST learn unless... unless you want to live the rest of your life like this.'

From "#0996/0997: Robservations 06/25/03: Yaeger & Buffy"
Caught in Yaeger's strangling grip, Buffie battles for her life, begging, let me go!  Why should I let go? demands Yaeger, you're like all the others--you have to be trained.  She frees herself, pushing his arms away.  Like a dog, you have to be hit to learn, he insists. He pulls her arms behind her back.  Let me go! she cries.  You haven't learned your lesson yet, he says. You're hurting me! she protests. Just a little, says Yaeger, just so you'll learn to do what I say--you will, won't you?  He wrenches her arms painfully behind her back. Yes, she says, falling into a chair, crying. He lifts up her head, gazes into her face and observes, how pretty your tears are. You're insane! she cries.  I'm not, he says, I know how to live, how to get things from people, how to make anyone do as I say--an invaluable thing to know, something you must learn unless you want to live the rest of your life like this--you don't, do you? What do you mean? she asks, facing him. I want to give you the finest things, he says--money, furs, and riches--I'll give you anything, I want to make sure that you have everything. She pushes him away and stands. You don't want me to know how much you want them, do you? he asks breathlessly, laughing--I know you better than you know yourself, and you'll know that soon. You don't know me at all! cries Buffie angrily.
[/spoiler]

The Yaeger/Buffie relationship is so twisted. Obviously that's to show that Yaeger and Cyrus as so different and Cyrus totally failed in his mission to "bring out the best in man"- but whoa! - Yaeger is beyond psychotic!! I seriously wonder if any show nowadays could get away with some of the things Yaeger does and says. "You're like a dog, you have to be hit to learn"!?!?! So totally beyond the pale!!  [ghost_shocked] [ghost_blink]  And that isn't even the worst of it...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 11, 2020, 01:16:42 AM »
Nice to see Michael Stroka in the role of Laslo today. I've never understood why Stroka was written out so abruptly. I presume that he had found another work opportunity, most likely on another soap, and I'm sure he worked on DS without a contract--so many did.

Very atmospheric shot. Thanks MB!

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: September 11, 2020, 06:28:36 PM »
Great shot of Yeagar and Buffie.

And here it is again for anyone who missed it:

It's at least a quarter of a century since I last watched these episodes. It looks somewhat early on because Chris seems to have the nose prothesis on. They had to abandon that, if I recall correctly, when it started coming off during one scene.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if that was why they finally abandoned it. Plus, it just looked awful! Getting rid of it was the best decision they made with regard to Yaeger.

Those studio lights were hot. I always feel for Thayer in those scenes where Petofi had that big fur coat on. And he was already wearing that huge Petofi wig...

Thayer was a real trouper for his craft.  [ghost_wink]

But getting back to the capture, every time I see Buffie with that hairstyle all I can think of is Cloris Leachman's Phyllis Lindstrom. The style was definitely a product of the '70s and didn't seem to outlive that decade. Probably just as well...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 12, 2020, 03:54:58 AM »
Today's scene was a dramatic, traumatic event for many viewers in 1971.

We all said, "No, it can't be! Dark Shadows MUST go on!"

But alas, this was the end of the line.

Nevertheless here we all are, fifty-some years later, still enjoying our favorite show.

Cheers! G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: September 12, 2020, 05:54:26 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Thursday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Thursday's quote:
Ep #1148 (1840) - Laszlo - 'Well I, uh, I was looking for someone-- a servant. A grand house like this MUST have servants.'

From "#1148/1149: Robservations 10/30/03: Rescue; A Sibling Horrorshow"
Old House - Laszlo enters very slowly, trying not to make a sound.  He whispers, "Angelique."  Gypsy, says Barnabas, what are you doing here?--did you come to tell fortunes again--or to steal?  Laszlo stutters that he came to deliver a message.  So you simply walked in the deliver it? asks Barnabas.  No, I was looking for someone, the gypsy says, nervously pacing--I was looking for someone, a servant--a house like this must have servants.  Who is the message for? asks Barnabas.  Are you Barnabas Collins? asks Laszlo.  You know I am, we've met before, says Barnabas.  Laszlo says it's for him--from a man in the village--he gave him a gold dollar to tell him it would be worth Barnabas' while if he met with him tonight at the Eagle Inn at midnight.  What man? asks Barnabas--how will I know him?  He'll know you, says Laszlo.  Your answers come too easily, decides Barnabas--describe him.  The gypsy says he's tall, well-dressed, with the air of a gentleman about him.  Heavy-set--with gray hair? Asks Barnabas.  Yes, agrees Laszlo--you know I'll be leaving now.  Barnabas grabs hold of him, saying, "There is no such man--now what do you want?--why are you telling me some absurd lie?"  Let go of me! demands Laszlo.  Barnabas says not until he tells him the truth.  They struggle, and Barnabas catches sight of--"Julia's ring!"  No, says Laszlo, it's mine, it's mine!  Where is she? says Barnabas, his face more animal than human
--you're Angelique's servant, aren't you?--you came to see her--tell me where Julia is!--and he begins strangling the gypsy.
[/spoiler]

The quote is pretty well conveyed in the Robservations...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 12, 2020, 09:00:35 PM »
Nice to see Michael Stroka in the role of Laslo today.

And here it is:

Very atmospheric shot.

Yes - though it helps that the scene takes place in a dark Old House.

I've never understood why Stroka was written out so abruptly. I presume that he had found another work opportunity, most likely on another soap, and I'm sure he worked on DS without a contract--so many did.

If he did get other work, I suspect it wasn't on another soap because I don't *think* he worked on another soap until he started on The Edge of Night in 1975 as Dr. Quentin Henderson. I always found it a hoot that he played a character named Quentin. And I always enjoyed him on the show.

It's quite possible he got some sort of theater role. Or maybe they just didn't need Laszlo again.  [idontknow]

Online Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 12, 2020, 10:18:45 PM »
Imdb lists no credits for him between DS and Edge of Night. Imdb is not always 100% accurate, so it's certainly possible that he has other acting credits that aren't listed. Anything after Edge seems to be minor roles.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: September 13, 2020, 05:26:33 AM »
Today's photo made me smile. According to fan gossip, the dialogue originally had Barnabas musing: "I've got to find a way to make everyone relax more around me. I know, I'll throw a party and then get them all stoned on claret cup, making up some story about Willie messing up the hors-d'oeuvres and thus providing an excuse for why I haven't gotten any food for them! Then Vicki MUST feel sorry for me! It's a plan!"

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: September 13, 2020, 05:40:41 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Friday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Friday's quote:
Ep #1245 (1841PT) - Stokes - 'She MUST have been attacked by something-- some kind of wild animal.'

From "#1244/1245: Robservations 01/21/04: The End!"
The front door bursts open.  Mrs. Collins! calls Harris, carrying Melanie in his arms--I found her lying in the woods.  Ben Stokes is with them, too.  They all run into the foyer, Kendrick calling, Melanie!  He takes her from Harris.  Put her on the sofa, orders Julia.  Everyone gathers around in consternation.  She must have been attacked by something, suggests Stokes--some kind of wild animal.  Look! cries Julia, pointing to two bite marks on Melanie's neck.  Harris, get a doctor, says Flora.  Kendrick, horrified at the sight of the bite wounds, asks Melanie, "What caused them?--tell me!"  Bramwell stares down at the marks.  What could have happened? wonders Flora.  What kind of animal would attack her like that? asks Julia. Says Ben Stokes, "If I didn't know better..."
Yes, Stokes? asks Kendrick.  "If I didn't know it wasn't possible," says Stokes, "I'd swear there was a vampire at Collinwood."
[/spoiler]