Author Topic: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow  (Read 115963 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow
« Reply #315 on: September 02, 2020, 05:14:08 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding yesterday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Yesterday's quote:
Ep #3 (1966) - Carolyn - 'Oh, good old Uncle Isaac-- Isaac Collins. He's the one who began it all: Started the whole wingding back in the 17th century, built the fishing fleet, founded the town, gave it a name-- the works.  He MUST have really been something.'

From "#0003/0004: Robservations 05/18/01: Fears About Burke"
Look, says Carolyn, are you sure you want to continue this grand tour?--because I'm beginning to think this place is really getting you down. Vicki assures her no, she's all right--and promises not another word about Mr. Devlin. Vicki looks at a portrait above the piano and asks who he is. Good old Uncle Isaac, says Carolyn cheerfully--he's the one who began it all, started the whole wingding back in the 17th century (does not jive with history as we come to know it)--built the fishing fleet, founded the town, gave it a name--the works--he must have really been something
[/spoiler]

It's very interesting that Carolyn refers to Isaac as an "uncle" because that would invalidate them as his direct descendants, as we're led to believe. But then there's so much rewriting of the present day family's lineage that it's pretty much impossible to square it all. They're Jeremiah's descendants. Then they're Daniel's - and we don't even know how Daniel and Millicent fit into the 1795 family except that they were cousins from NY. How was their father related to Joshua? We'll never know...

But be all that as it may, unless I'm forgetting something, I don't recall anything on the show that ever contradicted the story that Isaac Collins founded Collinsport in the 17th century. I'm not sure what the Robservations is getting at...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: September 02, 2020, 10:15:04 PM »
Hi MB,

I wonder if she was thinking of the version of the early history that was part of the PT 1841 storyline--just a guess. As you say, there were numerous retcons of various versions of family history as the show unfolded.

I remember at some point circa 1969 when I read the first "Marilyn" Ross novel being intrigued by the references to Isaac Collins. I don't think he was ever mentioned in any of the shows I watched in the original broadcast. I started watching in late June 1968.

Fabulous shot of Laura today. Always nice to see her!

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: September 04, 2020, 07:16:12 PM »
Great shot and script quote today, MB.

I can take credit for the screen capture but the quotes this month are being picked out by Midnite. And as I've said before, the screen captures are impossible to get without a great quote to frame them.  [ghost_wink]

And here's the screen cap for anyone who might have missed it:

But what's interesting when it comes to Tuesday's screen capture is that I had a hard time deciding between two. The alternative was this:

Though while it definitely showed off Carolyn and Vicki better, Isaac's portrait wasn't included in it. And I felt it was important to feature the portrait because Isaac was, if you will, the star of the quote even though it was Carolyn who delivered it.

It's a really long time since I last saw this episode--definitely over 20 years--but I seem to recall on my single previous viewing that she's saying all that while looking at a portrait that seems likely to have been painted of somebody contemporary to the period 1900-1910.

Exactly! That's always been one of my pet peeves when it comes to Isaac's portrait. It's expressly stated in early publicity for DS and, more importantly, on the show, that the man lived in the 17th century, though the clothes he's wearing in the portrait are anything but from the 17th century!  [ghost_rolleyes]  Who knows what they were thinking?! But then, knowing DC, he probably felt the audience would be too dumb to question it. That was his belief when it came to too many things on the show and it was hugely insulting...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: September 04, 2020, 08:40:07 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Wednesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Wednesday's quote:
Ep #135 (1966) - Laura - 'Yes, I think I MUST have done something to frighten him.'

From "#0134/0135: Robservations 08/22/01: David Changes His Mind"
Vicki joins them. Liz asks where David is--in his room? Yes, says Vicki, then speaks to only Liz in quiet tones--I think he's awfully excited, seeing his mother, I think he's had enough excitement for one day--if it's all right with Mrs. Collins, I think we should postpone her seeing him until tomorrow. He doesn't want to see me, does he? asks Laura sadly. Yes, he does want to see you! Vicki assures her, it's just that he's excited. It's natural for the boy to be excited, says Roger, he's been talking about you for years, hoping you'd come back. You don't have to be kind, Laura says. Nobody's being kind, Roger tells her. I know he doesn't want to see me, says Laura. That's ridiculous, says Roger. No, she says, he doesn't, I think he's afraid, I could see it in his eyes. This is utter nonsense, says Roger--I'm going upstairs to have a little talk with David--he'll be down in 10 seconds. Don't do that, please, says Laura. Why not? asks Roger. Because I think it was my fault, says Laura--I think I must have done something to frighten him. You've done nothing, says Roger. I know I have, she protests--perhaps I was just too eager or anxious for his affection--he wasn't prepared, I'm a stranger to him now. You won't be a stranger once David gets to know you, says Liz. No, says Laura, I want him to get to know me, I want him to feel close to me again--David means everything to me. She sits and gazes into the fire.
[/spoiler]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: September 05, 2020, 03:40:50 PM »
I remember at some point circa 1969 when I read the first "Marilyn" Ross novel being intrigued by the references to Isaac Collins. I don't think he was ever mentioned in any of the shows I watched in the original broadcast. I started watching in late June 1968.

Beyond Ep #3, I think Isaac *might* have only been mentioned significantly one other time when Liz tells David a bit about him. If there were other significant mentions, I don't honestly recall them. But then what was I saying the other day about it being almost impossible to remember everything from 1225 eps.  [ghost_wink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: September 05, 2020, 03:54:44 PM »

And here's that shot for anyone who might have missed it:

This Laura storyline is another of my big favorites on the show, not to mention perhaps the last one in which Vicki exhibits a good deal of smarts. Though that point is because Art Wallace was still the head writer. Once he left, sadly and apparently, he took several of Vicki's brain cells with him...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: September 05, 2020, 06:54:31 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Thursday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Thursday's quote:
Ep #200 (1967) - Liz - 'You MUST forgive Roger. He's quite puzzled by it all.'

From "#0200/0201: Robservations 10/11/01: Willie and James Dean, Separated at Birth?"
Roger comes over and orders Liz to tell him to leave tomorrow. Jason says yes, tell me to leave tomorrow, and I will, for that matter, tell me to leave tonight--you only need say the word. Say it, Liz, say it! says Roger. Stop it, she orders her brother, and Jason says yes, says it, Liz, I'm sure it won't reflect on our long, long friendship, and it certainly won't have any effect on the deep, deep understanding we've always shared. He gives her a significant look. The memories of other days, of your husband, Jason reminds her. Roger says she wants to forget completely about her husband, says Roger. Don't be so sure, says Jason, adding there are some memories he can't possibly LET her forget--so just say the word, the decision is yours, tell me to leave and I will-- immediately. "Liz, please!" begs Roger. Well, Liz, you must decide, says Jason, may I stay? Yes, of course you must stay, says Liz, stunning her brother. Liz! Says Roger, hurt. Jason smiles smarmily, saying if she wants him to stay, he will. "And thank you very much, Elizabeth, thank you very much indeed," says Jason, raising his glass to her. I'm very relieved, he says, looking at Roger, "now that we've had this out."
And he raises his glass to Roger, who leaves the room in a huff. Liz sits on the sofa, contemplating her crumbling life.

Jason tells her he hopes her brother is satisfied--her invitation to stay couldn't have been more explicit. You must forgive Roger, she says, he's quite puzzled by it all. Jason forgives him. How generous of you, says Liz sarcastically. Jason says he would very much appreciate it if his stay here at Collinwood wasn't interrupted by these ugly scenes with him. We are not as you know a gregarious family, says Liz, surely you can understand Roger's resentment. He understands it, but doesn't enjoy it, says Jason--will you make sure he doesn't "express" it again? Liz rises from the sofa, walks over to him, and says she can tell him to stay when Roger tells him to leave, but she can't dictate his reaction to it. I suggest you try, says Jason. It wouldn't work, says Liz, Roger's one independent area is his temperament.
[/spoiler]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: September 06, 2020, 02:28:09 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Friday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Friday's quote:
Ep #449 (1796) - Nathan - 'You MUST. You will. Tonight.'

From "#0449/0450: Robservations 04/19/02: Joshua Tries to Make it Right"
Millicent complains her headache is worse. She sees the light in the tower, and she asks if he sees it. He says no, and he will spend the rest of his life trying to understand her mind. Who lives up there? Nathan asks her. She should go up there and find out, he says slyly--face the reality. She couldn't, she says. There is no light in the tower, he insists, and she must check it out for her own good. She'd be afraid, but he says she must conquer her fear-for their lives. He refuses to go with her. She refuses to go. He says she made him so many promises, how can she be afraid to walk upstairs to a place she lives in? Even though she still sees the light, Millicent claims she doesn't see it anymore. He accuses her of telling him her first lie--she still sees the light, admit it!
Yes, she cries, she does see it, but she doesn't want to find out what's there. You must-you will-tonight, her husband insists, and she gazes at him fearfully.
[/spoiler]

Midnite has so much more luck finding Joel Crothers' "MUST" lines than I do.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: September 07, 2020, 05:21:39 AM »
Midnite has so much more luck finding Joel Crothers' "MUST" lines than I do.  [ghost_smiley]

[ghost_wink] It's totally worth seeing your screen captures of him.

Karlen's Willie has been the bigger challenge for me in finding quotes.  Unless there's ever a slideshow about  "[you've] GOT TO" or '[you] GOTTA" quotes.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: September 07, 2020, 01:48:46 PM »

[ghost_wink] It's totally worth seeing your screen captures of him.

I tried to capture Nathan with just the slightest bit of the smirk Joel briefly exhibits at one point while delivering the line:

I hope I succeeded.  [ghost_smiley]

Karlen's Willie has been the bigger challenge for me in finding quotes.

I guess I was lucky to find the Willie quote I used for August 13th ('I hear them too, and I know what you MUST be goin' through.')

Unless there's ever a slideshow about  "[you've] GOT TO" or '[you] GOTTA" quotes.

That's the big problem I have with Joe and Nathan. Though I have come across it with other characters, so who knows, maybe we will do a GOT TO/GOTTA slideshow one day.  [ghost_cheesy]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: September 07, 2020, 03:08:30 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Saturday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Saturday's quote:
Ep #552 (1968) - Barnabas - 'Adam, I did not. You MUST listen to me. I'm not even a doctor.'

From "Robservations 7/9/02 - #552/553 - Adam Takes Rash Action"
[/spoiler]

This Robservations doesn't even references the quote because for a second time in the slideshow (though it occurs many times in Robservations) we have an instance where the Robservations doesn't summarize the teaser act of an ep because it's a recreation of the closing scene of the previous ep. In this case the Robservations for Ep #551 is the only place where the quote is referenced. But what actually happens in the scene as it appears in this ep is that after Adam says Barnabas made him different from other people and calls Barnabas to task for not telling him he was a creature, Barnabas insists he was not responsible for Adam's creation and explains it was Dr. Lang. Adam says he doesn't know and has never met Dr. Lang, but he remembers Barnabas standing at the table when he opened his eyes. Barnabas then realizes that ever since then Adam thought that he created him, which Adam confirms and insists Barnabas did create him. But then Barnabas delivers the quote as his response (and it's delivered somewhat differently in Ep #552 from the way it's delivered in Ep #551 ('I didn't, Adam. Now you must trust me. I'm not even a doctor')). However, Adam believes Barnabas is lying.

And just as a reference, the previous time a similar situation to this occurred in the slideshow was for this quote:
If you don't...

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: September 07, 2020, 04:24:19 PM »

And here's that shot for anyone who might have missed it:

Thanks for this, MB! I'm one of those who missed it. Wonderful capture! Diana Millay certainly looks the archetypal mid-60s soap opera star!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: September 07, 2020, 07:04:44 PM »
Love today's shot of Magda and Sandor! This was right after Magda had put the big curse on Quentin, if I recall aright.

Then she found out she'd cursed her own family. One of the best DS storylines although it pretty much got derailed once a certain Count arrived in town... a character I love, of course!

Thanks, Midnite and MB!

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: September 07, 2020, 11:14:41 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Sunday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Sunday's quote:
Ep #643 (1968) - Roger(reading) - 'You MUST intercede with Oscar. Only you can save me.'

From "Robservations 9/12/02 - #643/644 - David, Amy and Quentin"
Roger goes into the drawing room and opens his briefcase on the desk. A large book falls from the piano to the floor. Roger turns and looks at it. He picks it up and opens it. He finds a piece of paper inside, a letter. He looks at it, puzzled. When Carolyn comes in, he tells her it's a letter addressed to his father, Jamison, dated 1887. He must have been a boy, muses Roger. "Dear Jamison, you must return to Collinwood, I need your help. You must intercede with Oscar. Only you can save me." They wonder what it means. It's signed "Quentin." Roger doesn't know the ancestor, who spent most of his time abroad, well. Roger describes how he found the letter in the book, which toppled from the piano. He wasn't anywhere near when it happened. They wonder how it could have fallen. Carolyn says SHE did it--Magda--she wanted them to see the letter. This name is unfamiliar to Roger, but Carolyn explains about Magda's spirit being in the house. She wanted them to see the letter--but why?
Roger and Carolyn sit before the fire. I'd like to call it nonsense, he says, the seance, the book falling, but I can't--neither of us imagined what happened tonight--what is the significance of the letter? "Stop them!" bursts out of Carolyn's mouth. She doesn't know why she said it, or what it means--it was Magda speaking through me, says Carolyn, a warning. Roger doesn't understand, but Carolyn says Magda is still there, speaking through her, warning them--someone in the house is in danger, and it could be any one of them.
[/spoiler]

A bit of trivia: Edward was originally going to be named Oscar. And like how Amy was originally going to be named Molly and that got into Ep #627, Edward being referred to as Oscar got into this ep...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: September 08, 2020, 05:38:54 PM »
Another great photo today--the lighting on Joan's face and the drab curtain backdrop carries a hint of film noir.

The return of Paul Stoddard was another great storyline that was run abruptly into the ground, most likely due to Dan Curtis's interference with the plot. And from what I've read, that had to do with all the hate mail fans sent in complaining about a storyline in which Barnabas was evil and duplicitous--just as he had originally been in 1967.

G.