Author Topic: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow  (Read 117333 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2020, 05:40:30 PM »
I hope my favorite Barnabas "Yoda-ism" from episode 279 shows up. It must!! (Maybe it's my second favorite of his lines overall.)

Oh yes, that will definitely be showing up - though I don't know when because it hasn't been scheduled yet.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2020, 04:06:31 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding today's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #539 - Cassandra - 'Oh, I MUST win, I will win and, Barnabas, you will die!'

From "Robservations 6/26/02 - #538/539 - Nicholas Disciplines Cass"
In the drawing room, Cassandra stares at the fire and thinks about time not being on her side. She wonders why she failed, and vows that whoever it was that interfered, "He will pay". David, who's been standing next to her, asks who will pay. She accuses him of sneaking up on her, but he changes the subject--he wants her to show him how to use the tape recorder Dr. Hoffman gave him. She's complains that she's too busy, isn't good with mechanical things--and has a headache. He leaves, pouting that everyone's always too busy for him. Alone again, she thinks about how she must find out what went wrong before Nicholas finds out. She thinks of the "bargain" she and Nicholas made (what the heck was that)? She must win, and Barnabas must DIE!
[/spoiler]

Note that this is the first time the Robservations not only doesn't use the wording of the actual quote, it substitutes a "MUST" where there is none in the actual quote. While selecting screen caps for other quotes I've discovered other incidents like that but haven't used them in the slideshow yet. But I've also discovered some instances where the show uses "MUST" but Robservations doesn't indicate as such. So, I suppose it all works out in the end. But thankfully the vast majority of the "MUST" examples I've discovered in Robservations use "MUST" when the show also does...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2020, 04:40:40 AM »
Another great photo! Our Favorite Witch is in deep doo-doo! Not only has she seriously irritated Nicholas at how she's degenerating into an incompetent suburban housewife, she's in grave danger of winning the Collinsport PTA's annual booby-prize for Worst Step-Mom of the Year!

I thought it was very clever how the scripts skirted around the exact nature of Cassandra and Nicholas's bargain. It was fairly obvious to me just what the terms of the bargain were, but clearly it remained a mystery to some viewers.

Just so much love for this series. It is exactly what we need in this stressful time.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2020, 03:56:11 PM »
Another great photo! Our Favorite Witch is in deep doo-doo! Not only has she seriously irritated Nicholas at how she's degenerating into an incompetent suburban housewife, she's in grave danger of winning the Collinsport PTA's annual booby-prize for Worst Step-Mom of the Year!

Exactly. And later in ep #539 when Nicholas asks if Cassandra's "idiotic" plan failed because she still loves Barnabas, of course she denies it, but because of the way Lara Parker plays it, the audience can tell she's lying. And if the audience can tell, of course the astute Nicholas can tell. And naturally he takes tremendous glee in previewing "a little taste" of what will happen to her. Great fun!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2020, 09:10:01 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding today's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #25 (1966) - Roger: 'I MUST admire you, Liz--you really have a neat way of managing people.'

From "#0025/0026: Robservations 06/05/01: Evidence Everywhere"
says Liz--what are you doing with Miss Winters' letter? I rescued this from David, says Roger--you'd think that sheriff would have something to report by now. What would David want with it? asks Vicki. Just foolishness, that's all, says Roger--his latest is that he thinks I want to send him to jail. Vicki reacts. I'd keep this under lock and key if I were you, advises Roger--if it's important to you. Hasn't Mrs. Stoddard spoken to you about it? asks Vicki, surprised. No, replies Roger. Liz rises from the chair and says she thinks they should have this discussion later. But I want... begins Vicki, but Liz pushes her to the door, insisting later--go upstairs and finish David's lessons. Liz ushers Vicki out and closes the doors. Roger says he must admire her, she really has a neat way of managing people. I hope I can do as well with you, she says in her grande dame way.
[/spoiler]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2020, 12:37:41 PM »
Lovely to see Humbert's handsome face today! Great shot of him in that role.

For those who haven't heard it, there's a pretty cool interview with Humbert you can listen to on the Collinsport Historical Society site. He only discusses DS at the very end of the interview. He explained there that Dan Curtis liked him so much when he read for some role or other that Dan had the character of Nicholas Blair created specifically for Humbert.

He was a fine actor and a wonderful presence.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2020, 04:46:51 PM »
For those who haven't heard it, there's a pretty cool interview with Humbert you can listen to on the Collinsport Historical Society site. He only discusses DS at the very end of the interview. He explained there that Dan Curtis liked him so much when he read for some role or other that Dan had the character of Nicholas Blair created specifically for Humbert.

I haven't heard it. It sounds very interesting - especially how DC created Nicholas specifically for him. I hadn't heard that, either. I'll definitely have to check out the interview when I get the chance...

Changing the topic, I forgot to mention yesterday that when it comes to yesterday's installment in the slideshow, I love how Liz says that she hopes she can use her way of managing people on Roger as well. After she says that, the look on Roger's face is priceless!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2020, 05:10:04 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #1141 (1840) - Charles: 'Oh, surely you MUST know who I am--you MUST have been expecting me.'

From "#1140/1141: Robservations 10/24/03: Who is Miranda?"
He lies down on the bed, drifts off to sleep.  He dreams:  Carrie calls in to Gerard--there's the nicest man to see you--he says you expect him.  Gerard answers the door to a bearded man portrayed by none other than Humbert Allen Astredo.  Carrie leaves.  I wasn't expecting you, says Gerard--what do you want?  Surely you must know who I am, the man says--you must have been expecting me, you would have been very foolish not to--this isn't the time for games you know, and you've been playing a game, a most dangerous game, though of course sometimes they afford the most pleasure.  What do you want from me? asks Gerard.  I don't want anything from you--I was sent to give you something--THIS!  He holds up the Judah-in-the-box.  Disgusted, Gerard closes the door on him.  The man knocks and knocks.
Gerard awakens from the dream to real knocking-- Carrie, who says, there's the nicest man to see you--he says you're expecting him.  Gerard, terrified, looks around the room and answers the door.  The same scene is played out as in his dream, word for word.  And, as in his dream, the man holds up the head of Judah Zachary that he thought he'd sent tumbling over Widows' Hill!
[/spoiler]

Today's installment is our first double "Must" - though only the first of many to come...

And as anyone who's read the summary saw, Robservations only mentions that once reality takes over, the scene in the dream is played out word for word. It doesn't repeat the dialogue. But, as today's capture makes obvious, I chose Charles' quote from the reality version...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2020, 04:14:09 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #676 (1969) - Chris - 'There MUST be more reason than that.'

From "Robservations 10/4/02 - #676/677"
They enter the mausoleum. You promised to take me someplace I couldn't get out of, Chris reminds him. "I did" Barnabas assures him. Looking around, Chris advises, kill me tonight--the gate won't hold me after the transformation. But this door will, says Barnabas, opening the secret panel, showing Chris the room with the coffin.

Barnabas tells him this room was originally a storage room for ammunition during the Revolutionary War. When Chris asks how he knows about it, Barnabas replies, "I am a Collins, I know a great deal about my family history," as though that's more than enough explanation. (I loved the grand way he said it, too.) Chris points to the coffin--it must have had other uses after the war, he observes. "Yes," says Barnabas, but doesn't elaborate. The coffin is empty, says Barnabas, but I don't know where the body is. Do you know and just don't want to tell me? asks Chris (sharp guy). Barnabas suavely changes the subject to the reason they are here. Why are we here? asks Chris. To prevent you from doing further violence this night, replies Barn. Why are you helping me? Chris asks gently. Barnabas softly responds, "Because I want to help you." Chris feels there must be more of a reason why he's willing to take the risk. Because I know you aren't responsible for what you do after the transformation, Barn answers.
[/spoiler]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2020, 04:45:29 PM »
I thought that scene was quite slashy. Beautiful shot from it.

cheers, G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2020, 03:12:06 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #1018 (1970PT) - Maggie - 'You MUST be able to read minds.'

From "#1018/1019: Robservations 07/14/03: Framing Maggie; Another Victim Needed"
Drawing room, Maggie looks out the window and remarks to Barnabas, you must be able to read minds--you knew exactly what I was thinking--you were right--I didn't want to wait for my husband alone. His face very close to hers, Barnabas says, if I hadn't been here, someone else in the house could have kept you company. I don't think I would have felt as comfortable with them, she says. I find that hard to believe, says Barnabas--after all, you've known me such a short time. Actually, she says, smiling, I've spent little more time in this house than you have, and strangely enough, I feel I know you better than anyone else--except Quentin, of course.
[/spoiler]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2020, 04:22:04 AM »
I forgot to mention earlier it's hard to know which is the wilder print in today's capture, the drapes or Maggie's blouse -

- but then, we know how Parallel Time loves boldly colorful prints...  [b003]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2020, 04:38:30 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #718 (1897) - Quentin - 'I MUST fight him in any way that I can.'

From "Robservations 11/7/02 - #718/719 - Barnabas & Angelique in the Tower"
Quentin has the cane--and the clay doll. Yes, Jamison, he says, we're ready--Barnabas deserves what he will get--I must fight him in any way I can--do you understand? I really think so, says the boy. Quentin takes a pin and starts to aim it toward the clay figure. Yes. . .yes, he says with satisfaction.
[/spoiler]

Robservations forgot to include the word "that," as in "any way that I can" - but that's a minor issue...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2020, 03:32:48 PM »

[spoiler]Today's quote:
Ep #261 (1967) - Dr. Woodard - 'We three MUST be the only three in the world.'

From "#0261/0262: Robservations 11/28/01: ESCAPE!"
He advises Sam and Joe that the public should be led to believe Maggie has died; he will fake both death certificate and funeral. He's going to send Maggie to a facility run by a Dr. Julia Hoffman, who is already interested in this case, so only she and the three of them will know the truth.
[/spoiler]

This quote appears during a period in which the Robservations summaries weren't all that detailed, so that's why neither the actual quote nor even a detailed paraphrase is in the summary...

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Quotes with the word “MUST.”
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2020, 04:33:37 PM »
I am loving the picture quotes with the word “MUST.”  That’s probably as oft-repeated as “I don’t understand,” or an actor repeating the last word of the previous actor’s line.

Brian