Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 724568 times)

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
I have to say, I did laugh at the image of Barnabas bowing at the table before what looks to be an Eggo waffle and a bottle of Mrs. Butterworths. What culinary delights!

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
If TB & JD had told us from the start that this was going to be a comedy I think reactions would be very different for fans of the OS. We were told just just days ago that it wasn't a comedy, well maybe a couple of weeks ago. At this point I can just see those two laughing at the fans of TOS. They "punked" us all.

That said, I'm a fan of "Young Frankenstein" and if this looks like that I may still go see this. Mel Brooks always said he was/is a fan of the original Universal horror films. And it showed in YF. If it looks like "Scary Movie" or "Airplane", no thanks. This time tomorrow we all will have seen the trailer and may know why it took this long to release it.
May you die before you want too.

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Hey, what gives with the trailer release time on the official movie site? I could have sworn that when I went there this morning I calculated the release time as being about 5:00 Central time on Thursday. Now it's looking like 8:00 Central time.  [snow_mad]

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
Just for the record, Seaview has two towers.
May you die before you want too.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Hey, what gives with the trailer release time on the official movie site? I could have sworn that when I went there this morning I calculated the release time as being about 5:00 Central time on Thursday. Now it's looking like 8:00 Central time.  [snow_mad]

Yesterday, it was 4 p.m.  Now it is 6 p.m.  And it varies by time zone as well.  But I am sure as soon as it breaks on the East Coast, the rest of the nation will have it with some help from Youtube, even before Ellen airs in a lot of places.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I finally read the HorrorHound interview of Tim Burton. I am not at all comforted by his words. It seems he is seizing on the unintentional humor as the vibe he wanted to capture for the entire movie. The problem is IMO is that TB wants to make this movie intentionally funny. For the most part DS was never intentionally funny. TB references his memory of the show on how all the actors were very serious about their roles. Now it seems he wants to take the unintentional comedic elements of the original show to a new dimension. I think the comedy goes beyond BC adapting to his future. In fact in the Fangoria interview the writer Seth says he was approached by TB and JD (after John August's script) because they wanted to take DS in a different direction. I think we know what that direction is. It is true that we won't know for sure until we see the movie but is does look for the time being as more of a comedy than a Gothic horror movie.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
No Total Film yet.  [snow_sad]  But then I wasn't really expecting it yet.

And yes, Seaview has two towers. Though the film's Collinwood has at least three (at least one of which starts halfway up the building - those kind have a name but I can't think of it now [snow_undecided]) and possibly even more if we can judge by Burton's conception drawing.

And as for timetable on the Web site, who knows what's going on with it?  [snow_rolleyes]  But since it refers to Apple, I'm presuming it's counting down until the trailer is available for viewing on an iPad and/or an iPhone, no?

57 days 3 hours 1 minutes 24 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I'm pretty sure this magazine reference was mentioned already but anyone attending the WonderCon tomorrow can get a free copy of the Hero Complex magazine featuring the world exclusive only American journalist Dark Shadows set visit. http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2012/03/14/wondercon-fans-watch-for-free-hero-complex-magazine/

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
After reading stuff here and on the spoilers thread, I'll reserve my judgement until I see the film (oh, god, to spend seven bucks and that's for a matinee).  As I posted in times past, I was skeptical that it would ever be made.  First, they talked, talked, talked about making it and nothing every happened because Depp had to go off and make fourteen other movies first.  Then they said that they got a screenwriter and what he came up with was rejected, and then they got others, and that was all rejected, and meanwhile Depp had to go off and make seventeen other movies first.  Then they got a script, but - wait! - Depp was committed to nineteen other movies first.  Finally, they booked a studio, but they had no other actors or actresses and Depp decided to make twenty-three other movies first.  I said I wouldn't believe it would ever happen until I was finally sitting in a theater (after paying my seven dollars, and no way was I going to pay full price for an evening showing - people like me who work with disabled children and barely get minimum wage and have to decide "am I going to pay to keep the heat on this month, or have car insurance" don't get a lotta leeway in spending money).

Well, I guess I'm going to get the chance (if I can scrape together the seven bucks - for me, that's three days' worth of meals) in around two months.  And now it's the debacle as to whether or not it's the vision of the original.  Is it a horror film?  A comedy?  A horror-comedy?  Maybe a documentary like The March of the Penquins?  What is it?  Is Michelle Pfeiffer too young looking to be the matron of Collinwood?  Shouldn't she have a beehive?  Or a shorter cut like Jean Simmons?  Carolyn as a tween, rather than as a 20-something vixen?  Victoria looking like she just stepped out of a convent school?  Barnabas looking like an extra from Jerseylicious?  Like all DS fans, I have my pre-set ideas about what the concept is all about.  I like some of the ideas that have been mentioned before, such as Barnabas having to deal with 18th century concepts in a 20th century world.  I stated before that I always had problems with DC's rapid allowance of Barnabas, after just a week-or-so, quickly adapting to 20th century life.  Would Barnabas (at Willie's teaching) be able to know how to work a zipper or tie a pair of Thom McCann's?  So some of the ideas are good and sound, even if they are presented in a comical manner.  It would be funny and there's nothing wrong with that.  If DC would've thought about logic and consistency, that would've been an added dimension to DS. 

So I'll wait.  I'll start robbing Peter to pay Paul now so I can see it.  I'll eat lots of peanut butter to save on my grocery bill.  Lot of good protein there.  After that, I'll add my commentary to a new thread that will obviously be created once it comes out.  That is, if I have strength enough after malnutrition.  Depp and Burton, you'd better make this worth it.  I'm cranky when I'm hungry.

Gerard

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I'm pretty sure this magazine reference was mentioned already

The article was mentioned  - but not as appearing in a magazine because the tweet from the 2nd never mentioned the magazine.

If the article doesn't appear online, how the hell are we supposed to get a copy of the magazine?  [snow_undecided]

57 days 2 hours 47 minutes 10 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I'm not sure. The LA Times publishes it. Good question.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
If the article doesn't appear online, how the hell are we supposed to get a copy of the magazine?  [snow_undecided]

My question exactly!

Thanks for the link, jimbo!  I was wondering where this set visit had disappeared to...

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
If you can't get the issue of Hero Complex at or around the Convention (I believe it begins Friday and runs through Sunday), additional copies are going to be available in several comic outlets.  That's according to the LA Times.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Thanks, Midnite.  I guess we will have to track it down online...

For those of you who are curious, someone somewhere on the Internet mentioned that last night's screening did not have the final music score...  Therefore, anyone curious about Cobert's music, such as myself, will just have to be curious a little longer.  [snow_angry]

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
I was just intimately studying the cast photo on the movie website. First, I think it's interesting how everyone's skin has such a pale color, and I find it interesting which feature of each person they decided to make mo vibrant.

What I found particularly intriguing is that in studying the body language and facial expressions of each character, Carolyn is the only one who seems sad and perhaps even frightened, just from the look on her face and how she is holding her arms, kind of closing herself off. Meanwhile everyone else either looks mad/evil, uppety, or just plain snarky.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran