Author Topic: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow  (Read 118846 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow
« Reply #1845 on: January 27, 2024, 04:46:52 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Wednesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Wednesday's quote:
Ep #401 (1796) - Barnabas - 'But witches MUST be destroyed, Ben. Of course she will have to suffer, but she MUST be destroyed.'

From "#0401/0402: Robservations 03/18/02: Ben Shows Barn He Can Write"
Fishing shack - Inside, Ben slugs booze from a jug.  He's going to leave Collinsport, he vows.  He's dismayed when Barnabas, hastily promising not to turn Ben in, enters. Ben apologizes for hurting him, but Barnabas says he understands.  I wanted to let you know you're safe from the witch, says Barn craftily--she's been caught and will be executed.  Who are you talking about? asks Ben.  Why, Victoria Winters, replies Barnabas.  Are you sure of her guilt? asks Ben, disturbed.  I am, says Barnabas--the evidence was overwhelming.  Ben ponders Vicki's possible fate, unhappy

The Robservations falls into the period where there's little detail and so it doesn't reference the quote at all. However, it comes up after Ben unhappily ponders Vicki's fate...

And sadly the dialogue in this scene is just as bad as the copy on the NoDS posters because Barnabas and Ben refer to Vicki possibly being "hung" when they should be saying "hanged":

Is it 'Hung' or 'Hanged'? - Merriam-Webster
"The past tense of hang in almost all situations is hung. You hung a picture on the wall, or you hung out at the mall. Only use hanged when referring to someone being sentenced to death via hanging.

Some people bristle when they hear hanged or hung used incorrectly. Their blood boils. Their vision blacks out. Mixing up hung and hanged will make these people thoroughly cheesed off and mad as heck. Irate copy editors are no fun"

One would think Ron Sproat, who wrote the ep, would have known better. Though I suppose there is a possibility that Sproat wrote it correctly but Jonathan Frid misspoke it accidentally and Thayer David just followed suit so as not to embarrass Frid. Who knows? But it is clever how the Robservations avoids the issue altogether by simply referring to it as the witch "will be executed."

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: January 28, 2024, 04:50:02 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Thursday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Thursday's quote:
Ep #510 (1968) - Cassandra - 'Midnight. Where is Tony? It MUST be done by now.'

From "Robservations 6/6/02 - #509/510 - Adam's New Friend/Taken to Trask"
Cassandra hears the clock striking midnight. Where is Tony?--it must be done by now!--what if he failed, or was caught? Tony watches her through the window, then knocks at the glass. She gestures for him to come to the front door. He comes inside. I was worried about you, she says, and he tells her it's done-he's dead! Tell me how he died, she demands. Roger appears at the top of the steps and Tony, quickly covering, says he's sorry Carolyn is asleep and he hopes he didn't disturb her. He bids her Cassandra good night and leaves. Cassandra sees her husband glaring down at her.

The Robservations references the quote almost perfectly...

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Prof. Stokes - 'Julia, thank goodness it's you. You MUST come here immediately') was back on January 16th.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: January 29, 2024, 03:50:04 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Friday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Friday's quote:
Ep #756 (1897) - Barnabas - 'Then one of us MUST lose.'

From "Robservations 1/7/03 - Angelique Defends Her Ex - 756-757"
Robbing a grave is a bizarre activity for a beautiful woman, Barnabas says to Laura.  Laura denies doing any such thing.  Then what are you doing with something that doesn't belong to you? he asks, and takes the book.  She gives him an argument, but Barnabas reminds her that, "One of us must lose."  Dirk attacks Barnabas, who is able to subdue Laura's lover-henchman with one vampiric hand.  You're not human! Laura accuses.
Then what am I? he inquires.  I don't know, admits Laura, but I'm sure this book has a name for it-- I came back to Collinwood for just one thing-- my children--at every turn you've tried to stop me-- but not anymore-- I will destroy you!  YOU are the one who will be destroyed, promises Barnabas--goodnight.

And Barnabas' greeting to Laura seems to beg the question that if a woman is plain, or even average in looks, would it then be perfectly acceptable for her to rob a grave?

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: January 30, 2024, 01:14:42 AM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Saturday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Saturday's quote:
Ep #1209 (1841PT[-1967]) - Kendrick - 'I MUST be direct, Mrs. Collins. Will you tell us the truth now-- all of it?'

From "#1207_1208/1209: Robservations 12/15/03: Plagued; A Grisly Discovery"
They all go into the drawing room--sit down, offers Flora.  Only Kendrick sits, and asks, Mrs. Collins, tell me the truth now--all of it.  That implies I didn't tell you the truth before, says Flora.  I'm sorry, says Kendrick, but that is what I suspect.  Melanie listens intently.  I know your sister's death has come as a great shock to you, says Flora, but I have just lost my husband, and I don't feel this is the time to discuss the matter.  When you hear where we found Stella, says Gerard, I'm sure you will understand we cannot believe the stories you told Mr. Young--Stella's grave was found in the woods, on this estate!  Melanie busts into tears.  This is too much for Melanie, protests Flora--we'll have to discuss this some other time.  Stella! sobs Melanie.  Kendrick rises--Melanie, I'm so sorry it had to happen this way, he says--I wish I could have made it easier for you.  Please stop! begs Melanie, crying, moving away from him.

The Robservations not only paraphrases the quote but it also changes its tone from a question to an order...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: January 30, 2024, 03:48:12 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Sunday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Sunday's quote:
Ep #512 (1968) - Joe - 'Well Sam, don't you realize? The man that you've been sheltering-- he MUST... he MUST be the same guy that kidnapped Carolyn Stoddard.'

From "Robservations 6/7/02 - #511/512 - ANOTHER Brick in the Wall"
Joe Haskell walks in; the frightened Adam knocks him down and runs out the door. Joe asks Sam about what happened and Sam tells him that he's been helping Adam for the past few days-with Maggie gone, there's been no one for him to talk to. (seriously, who leaves a blind man alone?) Joe tells Sam that's no ordinary man, his face looks like it's been through a meat grinder-he knocked me down like a feather, and I'm no lightweight-what if this guy is an escaped murderer? Sam assures Joe the two of them got along well-in his own ways, he's as handicapped as I am-I sensed an innocence about him. Joe tells Sam this man and the guy who kidnapped Carolyn Stoddard may be one and the same.
I already figured that out, says Sam, which appalls Joe-why didn't you call the police? Adam saved Carolyn's life, says Sam, he isn't dangerous, he needs friendship and understanding.

Again a Robservations paraphrases the quote and at least conveys the quote's important point...

And Midnite uncovered another Joe quote.  [spin]

The Robservations also glosses over a goof by not even referring to how Joe initially refers to Carolyn as "Carolyn Collins" before correctly saying "Carolyn Stoddard" in the quote. Although, technically Carolyn's middle name is "Collins," so...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: January 31, 2024, 03:58:20 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Monday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Monday's quote:
Ep #757 (1897) - Laura - 'I MUST warn you: I am not without powers. And it's good to see that you are not without fear.'

From "Robservations 1/7/03 - Angelique Defends Her Ex - 756-757"
If you hadn't come along, I would have destroyed Barnabas, says Laura.  I will always be here when Barnabas. . .needs me, says Angelique meaningfully-- unless, of course, you plan to destroy me, too-- an even more foolish idea.  You're being foolish, counters Laura-- perhaps I can't destroy you, but he can hurt you-- Collinwood has always held unhappy women, and Barnabas is a Collins.  Rather different than the others, says Ang-- nevertheless, I will remain devoted to him, no matter what you try to tell me.  Laura laughs-- you ARE a fool-- perhaps you can force him to love you through spells and potions, but if he really had a choice, do you think Barnabas would choose YOU?  No, says Angelique coolly, anymore than Dirk would choose YOU.  I'm not interested in Dirk, says Laura, only my children-- but you do care for Barnabas, don't you?-- how does it make you feel that you are succeeding as a-- whatever you are-- but failing as a woman?  (oooh, low blow!)  We should both get rid of him, says Laura, we'd be better off without him.  Pissed off, Angelique says, I am going to destroy you-- you will never leave this house!  Ang heads upstairs.  A wall of flames rears up before her.  Angelique, afraid, draws back.  I must warn you, says Laura, I am not without power.  And it would seem you are not without fear-- till we meet again, my dear Angelique, says Laura triumphantly, and flounces off.

And once again a Robservations paraphrases the quote a bit...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: February 01, 2024, 04:46:14 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Tuesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Tuesday's quote:
Ep #1132 (1840[-1967]) - Daphne(reading what she has written) - 'At last I am in his house. I MUST be very careful he does not know how near death is.'

From "#1131/1132: Robservations 10/20/03: Julia Under Zachary's Control"
Daphne writes in her diary, saying at last I am in his house--I must be very careful so he does not know how near death is.  She smiles at the entry and closes the diary, then looks at the cute little pistol lying nearby and picks it up and looks at it more closely.  She slips it into her red velvet handbag.

The Robservations adds a word, but other than that it references the quote perfectly...

And interestingly, video of Daphne's arrival at Collinwood in this ep was used in one of the many commercials MPI put together to promote their release of DS on VHS, the entire commercial of which is quite funny and is probably my favorite:

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: February 02, 2024, 07:24:10 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Wednesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

Ep #758 (1897) - Angelique - 'You MUST call on Set.'

From "Robservations 1/8/03 - #758/759 - Barn & Ang Combine Forces"
Quentin is still reading from the Book of the Dead, trying to get Ra, the sun god, to summon Laura to his breast. When the fire goes out, Angelique can't get it restarted--Laura is fighting us!  She wants Quentin to try some more incantations to another Egyptian god, Osiris, but he feels it's not good to disturb the god of death. Laura will know you took part in this, Angelique reminds him convinces him to continue. Quentin begins the incantation again and entreats Osiris to show Ra that his powers are greater and rekindle the fire once more--"Let her burn for your glory!"  The fire starts again

If you're questioning why the Robservations refers to the Egyptian god Osiris, whereas the quote refers to Set, you'd be asking an excellent question. One might presume that the Robservations summaries should be summarizing what actually happens in the eps, but in this case apparently the liberty was taken to correct a perceived mistake the show may have made. And I say "perceived mistake" and "may have made" because, while Osiris was the Egyptian god of the underworld and symbolized death, Set was considered the god of the dead for a period of time in Egyptian mythology. So, it could be debated as to which god was the correct one to call on - perhaps Angelique should have told Quentin to call on Osiris and perhaps Quentin should have done so in his incantation. But be that as it may, in the ep Angelique clearly says "Set", though the Robservations doesn't reference her quote directly, and Quentin clearly says "Set" in his incantation:

My biggest disappointment in all that is that because the corrections were made and what actually happened in the ep wasn't summarize, the corrections should have been explained in the Robservations notes for the ep, but they aren't, which leaves anyone who hasn't seen the ep for themselves to believe Osiris was the one referenced and not Set.

But as for when the quote comes up, the circumstance under which it does so is at least referenced in the Robservations...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: February 03, 2024, 08:14:10 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Thursday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Thursday's quote:
Ep #639 (1969) - Julia - 'I'm afraid I MUST.'

From "Robservations 9/10/02 - #639/640 - Ghosts and Werewolves, Oh My!"
Julia wonders what to do about Amy, Chris' sister. Amy doesn't want to go back, but Julia says you must go--you shouldn't have run away; your treatment is important. Amy says she only needs her brother, and she'll find him. Julia promises to have Chris come to see her at Windcliff tomorrow. Heartbreakingly, Amy begs not to be sent back; Chris promised her he'd stay and never go away again--he'll take care of her. Julia explains--I'm responsible for you, Amy. Chris will do that, says the little girl. I haven't been able to reach him, explains Julia. Between the storm and the lateness of the hour, Liz suggests Amy stay tonight.
Julia agrees, but "It's back to Windcliff tomorrow."

Actually, Julia doesn't exactly say that Amy must go - what happens is after the subject of Amy being a "runaway" who "disappeared from Wyndcliff," Amy asks, "You're not going to take me back there, are you, Dr. Hoffman?" and to that Julia answers with the quote...

And this is the fifth quote from this ep. The first (Julia - 'Amy, you MUST realize that I am responsible for you') was back on September 6th of 2022, the second (Julia - 'If you saw it, Mrs. Stoddard, there MUST be some explanation for it') was back on December 21st of 2022, the third (Amy - 'It's bigger than any house I've ever seen. It MUST have a hundred rooms') was back on February 5th, and the fourth (Amy - 'It MUST be very old') was back on April 9th. Apparently Julia and Amy have been battling it out to see who can have the most quotes from the ep, with Julia now back on top.

And this ep now shares the [milestone] of a fifth quote with Eps #42, #44, #66, #133, #208, #211, #300, #367, #377, #384, #449, #466, #609, #629, #646, #678, #709, #727, #734, #977, #993, #1057, #1111, & #1197. However, recall that there's an even bigger because Eps #66, #377, #384, #449, #646, #727 & #993 have six quotes...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: February 04, 2024, 05:18:16 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Friday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Friday's quote:
Ep #735 (1897) - Gregory - 'What kind of insolence is this?! MUST I tell you everyone I speak to each day?'

From "Robservations 11/20/02 - #734-735 - Jamison Escapes the Closet; Worthington Burns"
Trask wonders about Rachel's insolence, asking about Mrs. Collins this way!--must I tell you everyone I speak to each day?  I simply wondered if she had been here, says Rachel.  Why? asks Trask--is there a reason?  No, says Rachel, no reason.  You're lying, he accuses--have you learned that, too?

The Robservations does reference the quote but only half of it specifically...

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Laura - 'You MUST do as I tell you, darling') was back on August 16th of 2022.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: February 05, 2024, 03:42:12 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Saturday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Saturday's quote:
Ep #969 (1970) - Jeb - 'You MUST come in and join us and help us celebrate.'

From "Robservations 6/5/03 - #968-969 - Miserable is the Bride; A Bit 'o' PT"
Julia walks diffidently down the stairs.  Jeb greets her--come in, he says, join us, help us celebrate, offer us congratulations--we're married. Julia's eyes fly open in astonishment. Jeb presses his head against Carolyn's and says--it's a surprise, you never thought it would happen, did you? Stunned, not knowing what to say, Julia doesn't reply. Come in! urges Jeb, every celebration needs guests. Julia enters the drawing room, hugs Carolyn and wishes her happiness--Jeb, take care of your bride, then accepts a glass of champagne from Liz. "To my husband," toasts Carolyn, "may neither of us ever forget the way we feel as this moment."

The Robservations certainly references the circumstances of the quote but not the quote itself and without using "must," which, as we know, is shameful...

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Sky - 'She MUST. You MUST convince her because, you see, you are responsible for what is happening to me') was back on November 8th of 2020.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: February 06, 2024, 03:32:22 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Sunday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Sunday's quote:
Ep #571 (1968) - Roger - 'Well then we MUST get her back to the sanitarium as quickly as possible.'

From "Robservations 7/22/02 - #570/571 - Barnabas Battles the Vampire"
Roger questions Julia about the coffin in the crypt--Liz did follow her, but not to the crypt. Roger decides this means Liz must return to Windcliff, but Julia says she won't make progress there if she doesn't want to go and won't cooperate. Roger finds Julia's talk about her own hospital strange. Julia advises him to let Liz stay home--she will be a consultant. Barnabas comes upstairs and tells Roger and Julia that Liz believes they are plotting against her. Again Julia tells him to let Liz stay at Collinwood, where she feels secure. Roger goes downstairs. Julia confesses she lied, which Barnabas agreed was the only thing to do.

The Robservations doesn't reference the quote but it does reference its circumstances...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: February 07, 2024, 04:10:42 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Monday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Monday's quote:
Ep #439 (1796) - Nathan - 'I MUST be wrong.'

From "#0439/0440: Robservations 04/12/02: Barnabas, Judge and Jury"
Nathan takes her into the Eagle and buys her rum to assuage her fear of almost losing her life. He wants her to go to the police, but she's so frightened, she just wants to leave town. Nathan promises to take care of this himself. I must be wrong about whose cane it is--my friend who had a similar one is in England.

The Robservations references the quote well, though it adds words that Nathan never says...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: February 08, 2024, 03:48:12 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Tuesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Tuesday's quote:
Ep #1060 (1970PT) - Quentin - 'Something MUST have happened to her.'

From "#1060/1061: Robservations 08/12/03: From PT to the RT Future!"
Roxanne sits in a chair, awaiting Barnabas' return. Julia and Quentin enter.  Julia introduces him to Roxanne. Where are Maggie and Barnabas? asks Julia.  Maggie never came back after you called, reveals Roxanne. This greatly concerns Quentin. Barnabas got worried about her and went to look for her. Something must have happened to her, says Quentin. Would she have any reason to go to Collinwood? asks Julia. No, says Quentin, she was going to come directly here. The phone rings. Quentin answers. It's Stokes, who says, I didn't expect you to answer. What do you want? asks Quentin.  I'm calling to extend an invitation to you, says Stokes. How did you know I was here? asks Quentin. Your wife was on her way to Loomis House, says Stokes--I assumed it would be just a matter of time before you joined her there--but of course, she didn't get there, did she?  Do you know where Maggie is? asks Quentin. She's with me, says Stokes.

The Robservations references the quote perfectly...

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Timothy Stokes - 'You MUST feel very satisfied') was back on February 7th of 2021.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: February 10, 2024, 01:04:16 AM »

Ep #1066 (1995) - Julia - 'Quentin, you MUST know who you saw.'

From "#1066/1067: Robservations 08/15/03: Poor Quentin and Eliot and Everyone!"
Barnabas approaches Quentin, who asks how long have you been standing there?  We just came in a moment ago, says Barnabas, but we couldn't help overhearing--Quentin, who is Daphne? I'll tell you nothing, says Quentin. Is she the girl we saw talking with David a short time ago? Barnabas asks. David? repeats Quentin--David Collins?--David Collins is dead!  We know that, says Barnabas, we all saw his ghost earlier in the playroom--you ran when you saw it. Quentin, voice trembling, asks Barnabas, why are you trying to confuse me?  Julia steps forward---you must know who you saw, she says. I did not see David in the playroom--it was Tad that I saw! cries Quentin. Barnabas, she says, that was one of the two names on that birthday card.

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Julia - 'Barnabas, it will be dawn soon. We MUST go') was back on September 10th of 2022.