Author Topic: #1131/1132: Robservations 10/20/03: Julia Under Zachary's Control  (Read 1260 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
1131 - The head opens its eyes and looks at its body, which is reaching its arms out to it.

No, says Leticia, you must wait, it's not time yet.  She urges the body to sit down and rest.  It listens to her.  She goes to the case and asks the head, her master, to tell her what he wants to be done.
His open eyes look at her, hypnotize her, and she stares into them.

Old House - Barnabas speaks of a missing head, a headless body--is it still missing? he asks Julia.  It was when the governess was killed by a headless body, says Julia.  They could have been brought together after that, says Barnabas, and if they are, what kind of evil could be along us?  In 1970, they had no idea all this was involved--if the head was so important at this time, surely Daphne would have told them.  Maybe she never had a chance to learn about it, says Barnabas--they've got to find out more about Judah Zachary if they are to understand any of this, says Barn.  Julia asks if that's the name of the man when he was alive.  Yes, says Barnabas, he was convicted to witchcraft in 1692 in the town of Bedford--decapitation is an unusual form of execution for witchcraft, there must be a reason for that--you must go to Bedford, he says, find out what you can about the trial, there must be a file of some sort--we must find out--Bedford was an important port at that time--can you go this evening?  Probably, she says, but the courthouse probably isn't open in the evening.  You must try, insists Barnabas, I'm beginning to remember stories about the witchcraft trials in Bedford--I was just a boy at the time, I never took them very seriously, but if they are based on truth, and Judah Zachary walks this earth, men will find out the true meaning of evil.  (I liked this back story.  There's much more to it, too, as you will learn, and we can at least give the DS writers some credit for foreshadowing.)

Crypt - Yes, says Leticia to the head, someone must help us--someone very special--I understand now.  She covers the head and is about to leave the crypt when the body reaches for her.  She squeezes its hands comfortingly and goes.

Angelique looks happily--and acquisitively--around the Collinwood drawing room.  Daniel enters and greets her.  You must be Daniel, of course, she says.  You have the advantage over me, he says, dear lady, you are...  Mrs. Barnabas Collins--Valerie--she tells him.  Of course, he says in an affable way, Gabriel told me so.  He's been quite kind, she says, I feel quite at home here--I haven't even had the chance to see my husband yet--he will be back soon, I've been told, I hope so.  Daniel gazes at her, puzzled.  She asks him if she said something she shouldn't have.  No, he says, you remind me of someone.  I do? she asks.  I can't remember, he says--Valerie?--you said your name is Valerie.  Yes, she says, rising from the chair.  He turns to look at her.  No, he says, frightened, it is not.  What is my name, Daniel Collins? she asks sharply.  No, he says, horrified, it is not possible!  Tell me who you think I am, she says.  You are Angelique! he cries.  The look in her eyes bodes ill for him.

Angelique, I remember you! he cries--you can't deny it--those eyes!  She advances on him, telling him he hasn't felt well, has he?  The witch! says Daniel--Ben Stokes testified to your death, but they didn't believe him--but you are Angelique, you are--and Barnabas, if you have remained the same, has he?  She rushes to close the doors, imprisoning Daniel with her.  You have an excellent memory, she says, you were only a child when Barnabas and I... No, it cannot be! he gasps, why have you both come back, how?  You don't really want to know the answer to that, do you? she asks--wouldn't you rather just forget?  I'll never forget! wails Daniel, and begins banging on the locked doors, calling for help.  No one can help you, she says, Quentin is in town, Gabriel and Edith in their room, the servants in their quarters--no one will hear.  No, help, help, he begs, banging at the doors.  He moves away from her.  When I came back, she says, I thought perhaps this might happen, so I am not unprepared--no, not at all--because you see, Daniel, you are going to have to forget everything you have remembered.  No, he says.  Yes, you must, she says, because I do not intend to leave.  What are you going to do? he asks fearfully.  Angelique says there are some things in his life he'd like to forget, are there not?  What do you mean? he asks.  She turns and raises her arms, calling to the spirit of dark night to take possession of this place.  Wind fills the air, and the lights dim.  Daniel asks why it's become so cold.  Don't you know? she asks him.  What is happening? He asks.  Look, she says, look, someone is here--someone you said you loved once--she is waiting for you--come and look at her
--you will look at her and not look away.  Daniel turns to see his dead wife, Harriet, standing there, her hair covered with seaweed.  Your WIFE! says Angelique--you see, I know all about you, every secret.  Take her away! screams Daniel.  Angelique asks if he would like to hear her speak, to hear her scream the way she screamed the night he murdered her?  No! he moans, no!  Look into her eyes, commands Angelique, has she forgiven you?--no, she remembers the night you murdered her on Widows' Hill, she wants revenge, Daniel!  STOP  IT! he cries.  She will come to you to seek her revenge, says Ang, she cannot be denied her revenge.  Don't let her come near me! begs Daniel, as ghostly Harriet advances upon him,  You cannot escape from the dead, says Angelique.  Take her away! pleads Daniel.  Her cold hand, says Angelique, you will feel the cold touch of death.  Harriet reaches for him as Daniel shrieks, "No!"

Don't let her touch me, says Daniel, you must make her go away!  If I do, says Angelique, will all your memories of Barnabas and Angelique disappear with her?  Yes, yes, please, please! he says.  You must understand, warns Ang, that anytime you start to remember, she will come to you.  I won't remember, he swears.  No, says Ang, you will not remember anything, even this!--but it will lie deep in your consciousness.  Daniel, nearly sobbing, Harriet still reaching to touch him, promises he will not remember.  Angelique says she will send Harriet back to the waters that are he grave, but know that she  must come to Daniel whenever he thinks of Angelique.  Daniel is sobbing as Harriet's ghost fades.  Leticia returns to Collinwood and, hearing Daniel crying, bangs on the door, asking what's happening.  Angelique unlocks the door and Leticia runs in.  Are you all right? she asks, kneeling at his feet.  Daniel is sitting in a chair, quite back to normal, and he assures Leticia he is fine--tonight, he says, we have a surprise--this lady is the surprise--you'll never guess who she is--she is Mrs. Barnabas Collins, quite a shock, Barnabas having a wife--what a pleasant one--my dear Valerie, this is Leticia Faye, a friend of our Cousin Flora's.  Leticia gives a little curtsy and Angelique says it's nice to see her.  Daniel touches his hand to his forehead and says he isn't fond of surprises, sometimes they jar him in ways they shouldn't--he hasn't been well lately, you know, if you'll excuse me, I'll go get some rest.  Of course, says Angelique.  Before you go, says Leticia, is Julia here--the doctor?  No, is something wrong at Rose Cottage? he asks,  No, Leticia assures him, she just must find Julia.  She must be with Barnabas, I'm sure, says Daniel, Valerie is waiting for him, too--I can imagine how pleased they'll all be, to find themselves together again.  He shuffles out of the room.  Angelique watches him.  Leticia looks preoccupied.  (Angelique could not have chosen a better way to keep Daniel quiet.  What a horrible apparition Harriet was!)

Old House - I was in luck, Julia tells Barnabas, the Bedford County newspaper was printing tonight, so I had access to their files--but I didn't get any about the trial, there weren't any.  What did you get? asks Barnabas.  There was an article about a prosecutor, says Julia, flipping open a book, he wrote it when he was very old--he felt Zachary was one of the most evil men that ever lived--he referred to himself as the Devil's Son.  Somehow, says Barn, I have the feeling that Zachary is a vital part of what happened in Collinwood in 1970--what did you learn?  Judah Zachary was very involved in the black arts, says Julia, he corrupted the entire town her lived in, a small village near Bedford--he organized a witches coven that met nightly--there were murders, rumors of human sacrifice--and Zachary claimed immortality--he said he could not be killed as long as he possessed the Mask of Baal.  Mask of Baal, repeats Barnabas.  Yes, says Julia, a jeweled mask that he wore during his rituals--he said the devil himself had given it to him, and it had enormous powers.  Barnabas says Desmond told of finding a mask.  The witchcraft trials were taking place all through New England then, says Julia, because of the stories of Zachary's strange practices, he was brought to trial, and despite how evil he was, they thought he would go free, because they could not find one single person to testify against him--finally, when they had all just about given up, on the last day of his trial, one of his most loyal followers, a woman known only as Miranda, testified against him in exchange for her freedom--she told them that in order to destroy his powers, his head had to be separated from his body, and the body buried secretly.  So that's why he was beheaded, says Barnabas.  Yes, agrees Julia, and the mast was buried with the body.  Barnabas asks about the head.  The head was put on display in the town square, says Julia, as a warning, it disappeared soon after, probably stolen by one of his followers--it's never been found but there are rumors it still exists, and still has enormous powers--Judah Zachary was condemned by a tribunal of three judges--all three of them died mysterious deaths, one by one, the various members of their families died as well--that's the important thing to remember, Barnabas, that the members of their family died as well.  Why was that important? Asks Barnabas.  Because, says Julia, one of the judges was a Collins--his name was Amadeus.  That's why I head so much discussion of trials when I was a boy, says Barn, Amadeus was my great uncle--I also remember his son and son's wife died in a strange accident soon after that--they were the only ones.  Because the deaths stopped suddenly for all the families, says Julia, I wonder why?  Desmond brought back the head from the Far East, says Barn, the deaths must have stopped at the time it was taken from this country.  (Interesting stuff.  They're much better detectives here than they were back in 1970.)  The door opens.  Barnabas and Julia look horrified.  Angelique enters.
"So, at last I'm to meet my new sister in law," she says, smiling.  "Hello, Barnabas--aren't you going to welcome me home?  Barnabas looks as if his eyes are going to pop from his head.

Angelique! says Barnabas.  You mustn't call me that, my darling, she corrects him, I'm known as Valerie now--I was afraid I might be recognized if I use my real name--I was thinking of you, as I always do--I'm always protecting him, dear sister, she says to Julia.  That's a lie, says Barnabas.  Oh, come, don't be bitter, says Ang, I don't want to make a bad impression on my new sister in law.  Get out of this house, orders Barnabas.  And go back to Collinwood, she asks, crying, because my husband was not pleased to see me.  She gazes down modestly--Gabriel will be most sympathetic.  I want to see her alone, Barnabas tells Julia, who nods and heads away.  She does what you tell her, comments Angelique, you have her well-trained--shall we stop this pretense? She asks Julia--how long have you been traveling with him.  Julia, putting on her cape, doesn't respond, and Barnabas tells her not to answer Angelique.  I see you're not like him, says Ang, where did you meet him, and how?  Barnabas tells Julia to go now, please.  Yes, agrees Ang, he wants to be alone with me--isn't his devotion touching?--yes, you may go, Miss Collins, back to Collinwood--we have all the time in the world to find out about one another.  I know all about you now, says Julia curtly, and she leaves the house.  Angelique looks at Barnabas, who goes to stare at the fire.  So you have mentioned me, says Ang.  Barnabas turns to look at her.  Why have you come back? he asks.  Nothing in the world could make you believe that I love you, she says, could it?--and yet I do love you.  That's another lie! he accuses.  I have changed, let me show you that, she says, let me be with you.  And let you share what I call me life? he asks bitterly, my life and is your doing?  I gave you immortality, she reminds him.  Barnabas tells her she gave him a thousand nights of agony--get out of this house, out of this village.
No! she says defiantly, no!

Leticia comes downstairs at Collinwood at the same time Julia returns.  Come with me, insists Leticia.  I can't, says Julia, not now.  I found the headless body, she reports to Julia--it won't move, it just lies there!  We must wake Quentin, says Julia, moving toward the stairs.  No, says Leticia, he's not here, there's no one here but you who can help me.  Then Barnabas...begins Julia, then says, no, they can't--they'll wait.  Leticia insists they can't, someone will find him. Leticia says they must go.  Julia tells her they can't go unarmed.  He won't hurt you, insists Leticia, I told him not to--he'll never hurt you again--please come with me, Julia, please--now.  They leave.

We're at our usual stalemate, Barnabas tells Angelique.  You caused it, I did not, she says, pouting.  He asks her if, despite her delusions, she seriously thinks he'll accept her again?  You're going to have to, she says.  I'll let everyone know about you, he says.  If you do, she says, you'll be the one destroyed.  Daniel will remember you, predicts Barnabas.  He has been taken care of, she assures him.  What have you done to him? demands Barnabas.  Oh, he is well, she says, I did nothing, I restrained myself because I knew how angry you would be--I was thinking of you, you see, I am always thinking of you--can't you once think of me?--can't your heart find a little mercy for me--you can be so good and gentle toward others.  I cannot be good and gentle to my enemies, says Barnabas.  Perhaps in time you will not consider me one of them, she says, and leaves the house.  Barnabas looks as if he's going to explode.

Crypt - Julia and Leticia enter.  Leticia points out the body, and Julia checks the pulse.  Have you seen it move? Demands Julia, you told me you hadn't.  Leticia takes the cover off the head.  Julia asks her what that is and comes over to look into the eyes of Judah Zachary.  Julia says the name.  Yes, says Leticia.  You're part of it! cries Julia--you're in his power!
She tries to run from the crypt, but Leticia calls her name and Julia sees Zachary looking at her, mesmerizing her.  No! says Julia, looking away, but she is compelled to return to look into Zachary's eyes, and he takes over her mind.

NOTES:  Julia and Leticia are firmly under Zachary's power now.  Why does he want Julia?  Something tells me her doctoring abilities are needed here, and she will be called upon to do some Adam-like experiment.

Angelique is back, looking for love.  She wants Barnabas back, but he seems colder to her than an icicle.  Will she convince him to take her back?  She did a great job silencing Daniel.  She always knows the right buttons to push, doesn't she?  Loved the retort Julia made about knowing all about her.  Can she ever prove herself a friend, rather than an enemy, to her hubby?  Doesn't seem likely, but she seems determined to try--and this must be the Angelique from 1796 that he married, not the one who became Cassandra and joined him in the future in 1968.

Scary scene with Ang, Daniel and Harriet.  She looks like she died a young ghost.  Did ever a Collins have a happy marriage?

1132 - In the crypt, Judah Zachary works his wiles on Julia.  He needs you so, Leticia tells her, his eyes always seem to speak to me--when I stare at him, I know that I must do what he asks of me--do you feel that, too, Julia?  Yes, she says, entranced.  Leticia continues, and you know what you must do? asks Leticia.  Yes, we must join the head with the body, replies Julia.  Leticia asks how they start.
Julia examines the body, not feeling a pulse, heartbeat or respiration.  I found him in the woods, I led him here, he walked, insists Leticia, kneeling beside Julia.  Was his hand this cold? asks Julia.  Yes, says Leticia, touching the creature's hand.  Julia asks for her brooch.  What for? asks Leticia, but gives it to her and asks what she's doing with the pin.  Julia moves to stick the creature.  You'll hurt him! protests Leticia, but Julia does what she must and notes no blood--the body is perfectly preserved.  How could he have walked? asks Leticia.  At least we know where we're starting, says Julia, we have a great deal of work to do before we can start the operation.

Quentin reads over the note Daphne left, unsigned, left on the table--by whom, he wonders?--soon he will know if it's true.  "Joanna is dead and you are responsible," he reads aloud.  He answers a knock at the door--it's Mrs. Purdy, whom he asks to wait in the drawing room.  He tells her it was very kind of her to come here.  It's a pleasure, she says, not smiling, I've always wanted to see this house--I just wish it were a happier occasion.  Joanna is dead? he asks.  She nods sadly--as soon as she got his letter, she knew he wanted the details.  I didn't want them, says Quentin, but I must know.  She tells him she doesn't make moral judgments; when she rented the little cottage to her, she didn't ask questions; she knew she was a young widow who didn't seem to have any family--that's all she told me.  Yes, says Quentin, you were very kind to her and I thank her for that--and for being kind to me.  I didn't really become Joanna's friend until after you stopped coming there, the woman says--I did become her friend then--she needed me--she was never herself after you left--never herself.  Quentin looks guilty.  She got so she wouldn't leave the cottage, the woman explains, and when I'd go there, she would talk of nothing but you--I'm sorry, Mr. Collins, but that was the truth.  I couldn't get a divorce, says Quentin, didn't she tell you that--that's why I couldn't go there anymore?  She was never clear, the woman explains, and she kept getting worse and worse--one time she'd talk as if you'd just been there, and the next time, she knew it, but you hadn't been there in months--the last time I went to the cottage, she was so happy--she told me it was your birthday and you were coming to dinner--well I knew you were at sea--I told her.  She covers her mouth with a handkerchief, beginning to cry.  "And I shouldn't have," says Mrs. Purdy.  Quentin asks what Joanna did.  Nothing, then, she says; that night, I couldn't sleep, I kept feeling something was wrong, so I went to the cottage and there I found her lying on the floor
--she had cut her wrists!  Quentin is horrified.  And that isn't all, says Mrs. Purdy, after that, she was never herself at all, she didn't seem to want to live.  Quentin buries his face in his hands.  The doctor said there was nothing he could do, says Mrs. Purdy, and he insisted she went to an asylum.  Quentin looks at her almost accusingly, and she goes on, explaining she couldn't look after Joanna properly, and there was no one else to look after her--they wouldn't let her have any visitors--I guess there are things that go on there they don't want people to see--after she'd been there 3 months, a man came to my house from the asylum, she had escaped.  Did she come to you? asks Quentin.  No, says Mrs. Purdy, they found her body a month afterwards, it had been swept ashore.  Quentin asks if she identified the body.  Yes, she replies, I gave her proper resting place in a little cemetery between here and Bucksport--but that's all I could do.  Quentin says he can't believe it.  But it's true, she assures him, and nobody was at the burial but me.  But somebody else knows, he says, who blames me as much as I blame myself--he shows her the crumpled letter--look!  She asks who it could be, and he says he doesn't know--I kept wanting it not to be true, he says helplessly, I don't mean that I'd ever see her again even if she were alive--the ending that happened was the only ending we could have had--but the way it happened--thank you very much for coming here, he says.  She says she must be going, her carriage is waiting.  He leads her to the door and bids her good afternoon.

5:10 - Samantha comes downstairs.  (She only has two dresses.)  She answers a knock at the door.  It's Daphne, who says she knows about her as she must know about her--she's Daphne Harridge, the new governess--Mr. Collins hired me.  Samantha is shocked.

Mr. Collins hired you? asks Samantha.  Didn't he tell you? asks Daphne.  And he was expecting you here today? The redhead asks.  Mr. Collins specifically said...  Oh he did, did he? asks Samantha coldly.  Daphne apologizes for upsetting her; she had no idea...  Quentin bids Daphne good afternoon and, smiling, invites her in.  Cook is expecting you, he says, the kitchen is right through this door and she will show you your room--you'll meet Tad in the morning, I'll want to go over his books with you.  Daphne nods while Samantha stares daggers at her husband.  Quentin leads Daphne to the kitchen.  Samantha follows him into the drawing room.  How dare you? she demands.  How dare I what? he asks, see that my son gets his education?  Cook is expecting her! says Sam sarcastically.  She seemed the logical person to tell.  And I am not? asks Sam, furious.  Quentin apologizes, he just couldn't imagine her fixing up a room.  I hire the governesses, you do not! insists Samantha.  Quentin says that used to be one of her duties.  It still is, insists Sam.  I'm taking charge of Tad, Quentin informs her.  Oh no you're not! says Sam.  He's my son and he always will be! Quentin says--he's going to be a son of whom I can be proud--I'm going to raise him as I see fit
--and if you don't like it, my dear, you can get out!  She storms from the room.  He watches her go.

Daphne writes in her diary, saying at last I am in his house--I must be very careful so he does not know how near death is.  She smiles at the entry and closes the diary, then looks at the cute little pistol lying nearby and picks it up and looks at it more closely.  She slips it into her red velvet handbag.

Gerard is doing the Tarot.  Samantha enters and asks if he sees her in his future.  He looks at her, and she says, because I am--I have to be.  He frowns.  Darling, she says, I couldn't come before--Quentin won't ever let Tad go, so I must stay, too, but that doesn't mean...  What doesn't that mean? he asks.  That you will never hold me again, she says, throwing her arms around his stiff, unresponsive body.  Hold me, she begs, hold me.  She doesn't.  She looks at him, drawing away.  No, he says coldly.

Samantha reminds him he loves her--he married her.  The marriage is not legal, he points out.  You loved me enough to marry me, she says, how can love change in 3 days?--Quentin has been here to see you, hasn't he--he told you to leave me alone--he's threatened you?  No, says Gerard, Quentin is my friend, he trusts me.  Sam says they'll show Quentin how foolish that is, won't we?  No, Samantha, says Gerard.  Why? she asks, out of some demented sense of loyalty to him?  It's just as good a reason as any, replies Gerard.  That's not the real reason, says Sam, it's not, I know you, I fell in love with you--I know your faults and virtues, nobility doesn't happen to be one of them--why have you changed toward me?
When the sea is rough, he says, grinning, I act a little differently than when it is calm--you claim to know so much about me, but you've forgotten that fact, haven't you?  Crestfallen, she says, "You never loved me--it was the money and the position--you wanted to become Quentin Collins, that's what you wanted--to be Quentin!"  He doesn't reply, giving credence to her claims.

Collinwood - I wish you hadn't told me that, Gerard, says Quentin, I hate the thought of a frantic woman--even Samantha--you know, she's the kind of woman who doesn't give up anything--she's a collector of things--and people.  I realize, says Gerard, that I risked our friendship by telling you, but I feel that we must be completely honest with each other, or we become enemies.  Ho ho, says Quentin, we both have enough of those, don't we?  Daphne enters and apologizes for interrupting.  Don't be, says Gerard.  I beg your pardon? says Daphne.  Every door should be opened, says Gerard, and of course, you should open every door!  He's mad, says Quentin, don't believe a word he says--and he introduces Gerard to Tad's new governess.  Daphne smiles at Gerard and he says he's not very well educated, he hopes he can join all her classes--and he kisses her hand.  Daphne says she thinks he knows quite enough already, and the three of them laugh.  Gerard tells Quentin he's have to adopt a child and steal Daphne from him.  No, she's going to be working here so long, says Quentin, she's going to become so fond of us, she'll never want to leave.  You said you wanted to show me Tad's schoolbooks, Daphne reminds him.  Yes, says Quentin, come on--and he asks Gerard to excuse them.  Of course, says Gerard with a smile and bow, but you must promise to send her back to me.  Alone? asks Quentin--I'll see what we can do--he puts an arm around Daphne and says they use the playroom as the schoolroom.  After they leave, Gerard's face takes on a look of admiration.  Lovely! He exclaims aloud, truly lovely!  He picks up her dropped purse, opens it, and finds the gun inside. He stares at it, wondering.

Gerard puts down the purse and goes over to take a drink.  Daphne enters.  I see Quentin kept his word--he sent you back to me, remarks Gerard.  No, she says, picking up her purse, I forgot my reticule.  So you did--and quite a mistake, too, he says.  I had no need of it, she says.  I should hope not, he says, unless, of course, you plan to kill Quentin Collins.  She looks at him.  What a remarkably modern-day woman you are, he says, carrying a pistol.  You! she accuses.  Yes, he says, I went through it--I am shameless--and I do whatever I want to do--and I do want to know something about you--that was the only way--tell me, why do you carry it.
She tells him that's none of his business and starts to leave, but he takes her arm firmly, and says he's afraid it is--you are my business--there's no other way.  I'm sorry, I'm afraid there is, she insists.  By hating me? he asks--I think it would be far nicer to end up falling madly in love with me.  Falling in love with you? she asks.  It will happen, you know, he assures her.  Excuse me, she says curtly.  Governesses only carry pencils and books, I thought, he says, not pistols.  You know how the last governess died, she says, I don't intend that to happen to me!--good afternoon, Mr. Stiles.  It's not good afternoon, my dear, he says, I shall walk you to your bedroom.  And he does.

Crypt - Reading from a list, Leticia tells Julia she's gotten the bandages and the wood alcohol--but the apothecary in the village just laughed when I asked him for these drugs!  Julia, reading a book, tells Leticia she has to get them.  Where? asks the other woman.  Bangor, I suppose, says Julia.  Leticia says everyone will want to know why she's going.  Lie convincingly, says Julia, we can't take any chances.  I know that, says Leticia.  She surveys the body lying on the floor and says they must get every item on that list, unless they do...  Will you be able to do it? asks Leticia.  Julia tells her if they get everything, perhaps she will, she doesn't know.  I don't want to see his eyes if we fail, says Leticia.  Julia looks at the head, whose eyes are closed.

Quentin, sitting in the drawing room, holding the letter, bounces his hand off his knee, wondering who could know about him and Joanna--who?  He sits back in the chair.

9:10 - Samantha comes downstairs at Collinwood.  Gerard exits the kitchen and casually asks her if she's seen Daphne around, he's been looking for her everywhere--she seems to have totally disappeared.  What are you doing in this house? she demands.  I've come to see friends, of course, he says.  She tells him to get out.  I'm afraid only Quentin can tell me to do that, he says.  GET OUT, GET OUT! she cries.  Yes, he says, I believe I will.  He checks his watch and adds that he has an appointment to see Flora--they're going to play whist before bed.  And never come back! she yells after the retreating Gerard--never!  She almost closes the door on his ass.  Never! she says again.

Quentin finds another letter in her writing.  Who's sending these things to me? he agonizes.  We said it was over, says the letter, that we'd have no chance for happiness--that your wife would never allow what we both wanted for so much--but for so long now, I've ached to see you--to hear your voice--to feel the touch of your hand--now I will again--this time we will not let your wife ruin it for us--this time we will be together--oh my darling, we have been given a second chance.  Then she cannot be dead, says Quentin, it must be a mistake--but she is, Mrs. Purdy said so--then how did I get this thing--how?  And he smacks the letter.

NOTES:  Is Joanna, Quentin's former lover, haunting him from the grave?  Is she alive and writing him letters?  Does Daphne have anything to do with it?

You have to feel sorry for Samantha--she figured she could at least keep Gerard as her lover, but his friendship with Quentin--who has the money--is more important to him than Samantha is, so she's been dumped, her husband hates her, and he's taken over total care of their son.  Does she deserve this?  She tried to find happiness, but like so many Collins, it's eluding her on all fronts.  Only time will tell whether she will get what she deserves.  Now we know the back story of Quentin and Samantha, that he was unfaithful and tried to end their marriage years ago, but the deserted lover, Joanne, died, perhaps of a broken heart, when he told her he couldn't free himself from his marriage.  Poor woman.

Gerard, no longer hubby #2, is already sniffing new tail.  He is understandably suspicious of Daphne, but likes her, too, even if she doesn't seem to like him at all, especially since he discovered her secret gun stash.  Is this the beginning of the end of Collinwood's eventual destruction?

Will Julia and Leticia join Judah's head to his body?  Will he be able to boogie?

Love, Robin