Author Topic: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow  (Read 118295 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow
« Reply #1170 on: May 03, 2022, 03:32:24 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Sunday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Sunday's quote:
Ep #3 (1966) - Carolyn - 'But if Uncle Roger took off when you mentioned this Burke Devlin's name, he MUST have had a good reason.'

From "#0003/0004: Robservations 05/18/01: Fears About Burke"
Vicki and Carolyn go into the drawing room. How could we know what he was thinking? asks Carolyn, but if Uncle Roger took off when you mentioned this Burke Devlin's name, he must have had a good reason. Vicki closes the double doors. He knows what he's doing, says Carolyn, he can take care of himself--I'm not worried about him, she adds confidently. Vicki says he seemed frightened, she never saw a man so frightened. Look, says Carolyn, are you sure you want to continue this grand tour?--because I'm beginning to think this place is really getting you down. Vicki assures her no, she's all right--and promises not another word about Mr. Devlin.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote perfectly...

And this is the fourth quote from this ep. The first (Carolyn - 'Oh, good old Uncle Isaac-- Isaac Collins. He's the one who began it all: Started the whole wingding back in the 17th century, built the fishing fleet, founded the town, gave it a name-- the works.  He MUST have really been something') was back on September 1st of 2020, the second (Burke - 'You've been hanging around that house for a long time. You MUST have seen a lot-- heard a lot') was back on June 3rd, and (Carolyn - 'MUST have been the wind blew it open') was back on October 19th. So that all means that Ep #3 has joined the club with Eps #2, #208, #211, #212, #296, #365, #384, #449, #550, #609, #646, #678, #727 and #1057. However, recall that Eps #211, #449 and #678 have five quotes...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: May 04, 2022, 08:16:02 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Monday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Monday's quote:
Ep #123 (1966) - Maggie - 'You MUST'VE just gotten into town.'

From "#0123/0124: Robservations 08/14/01: Found but Abandoned"
are you back for a visit? Sort of, the woman says. Has the town changed any since you last saw it? asks Maggie. Not a bit, the woman replies. Maggie laughs. In fact, it's just the same way it was today as it was then (said with distaste). That's what I keep saying, Maggie says. And if I know this town, it never will, the woman says. You know this town, all right, says Maggie. Same feeling, the woman says--the salt smell of the ocean, the gulls making those sounds, the fog, the dampness, the fishing boats--the noises of the docks and the old building. Chamber of commerce, anyone? quips Maggie. Is that what I sound like? the woman asks. Right out of the brochure, says Maggie--except there was something in your voice that told me you weren't actually praising those things. Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean it that way, says the woman--actually, all those things are very meaningful to me--they've been part of my life until...the last few years. Then you missed it, says Maggie. Yes, I missed too much of everything, the woman replies. You must have just gotten into town, says Maggie. Um-hm, I got into town about an hour ago, the woman says.
[/spoiler]

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Joe - 'Although I MUST say I would have liked to have given her a chop or two') was back on June 21st.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: May 05, 2022, 07:56:29 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Tuesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Tuesday's quote:
Ep #193 (1967) - Roger - 'You MUST want these paintings for a reason. And the only reason could conceivably be money. I'll not give them to you but, um, yes, I'll sell them to you.'

From "#0192/0193: Robservations 10/04/01: End of Flames; Portia Faces Sam"
Roger thinks I over, then says you must want these paintings for a reason--and for money--therefore I won't give them, but sell them to you. Sam offers to give back the fifteen thousand. Roger turns to look at him, fascinated--where would YOU get that kind of money? he demands. I'll get it, promises Sam. I see, then they are valuable, guesses Roger. Let me think--art prices usually rise in time, if the artist is any good--and I think you're exceptional, Evans, I've always told you that--I'll sell you back the paintings for 50 thousand dollars. Sam is stunned--and angry.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations does a bit of paraphrasing but it references the quote quite well...

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Roger - 'Well, they MUST have some value or you wouldn't want them. Tell me, are they valuable?') was back on September 3rd.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: May 06, 2022, 06:20:23 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Wenesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Wednesday's quote:
Ep #366 (1795) - Barnabas - 'I'm afraid you MUST forgive me, Miss. If we have met before, I'm sorry to say I don't remember it.'

From "#0365/0366: Robservations 02/21/02 - - Welcome to 1795, Vicki!"
Barnabas comes out of the Old House, and Vicki tells him she's glad to see him. He is confused; he's never met HER, he says, and she asks him if he's teasing her--and why is he wearing those old clothes?
He notes that her attire is odd, to say the least.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations only basically references the quote...

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Vicki - 'I MUST be having a dream') was back on April 17th of 2020.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: May 07, 2022, 07:22:02 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Thursday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Thursday's quote:
Ep #462 (1968) - Barnabas - 'I cannot count on you. I MUST do what I can myself.'

From "#0461/0462: Robservations 04/29/02: 1968 - Julia Sports a New 'Do"
Julia says Vicki only remembers moments, fragmented, she seems afraid to remember all of it. Barnabas fears Vicki does know about him, why else is she afraid? He kneels on one knee (such a submissive posture!) and begs her to help him as he did before. Can't they be friends again? She doesn't know. She was ready to save him then, he points out, and his life depends on what Vicki knows.
If Julia won't let him, she must find out. She says she's trying to. Will she use what she learns to help or hurt him, he asks, and she says that depends entirely on him. (GOOOO, Julia!) She leaves him, still kneeling, and he decides he can't count on Julia--he must do what he can himself.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote nearly perfectly...

And this is the third quote from this ep. The first (Vicki - 'I MUST go to him and you can't stop me!') was back on December 15th of 2020 and the second (Julia - 'In the meantime you MUST have some rest. Here, take this and you'll rest') was back on February 25th of 2021.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: May 08, 2022, 03:10:06 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Friday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Friday's quote:
Ep #627 (1968) - Chris - 'Well, you MUST have known him more than casually or you wouldn't have had the reaction you did when you saw me.'

From "Robservations 8/29/02 - #626/627 - Murder!"
Julia and Chris return to Collinwood. She thanks him for the ride. She reluctantly agrees to answer more questions and invites him into the house. She tells him she didn't know Tom well at all, but he feels her reaction says otherwise. I examined him at the hospital, she admits. You told me you weren't on the staff of the hospital, Chris says. Julia explains that she's in research, and asked to see his unusual wounds. What about that wounds? asks Chris. Julia says it appeared to be an animal bite. What kind? He asks. Julia doesn't know. Chris doesn't seem to believe her.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations barely references the quote, but again it's enough to know when it takes place...

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Julia - 'Of course he would-- it's understandable. He MUST be very upset that no one notified him when his brother died') was back on March 6th of 2021.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: May 09, 2022, 04:04:11 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Saturday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Saturday's quote:
Ep #702 (1897) - Magda - 'What MUST be.'

From "Robservations 10/24/02 - #702/703 - Gypsies, Tramps & Thieves"
Quentin darts out at Magda as she's heading for the door, humorously asking if she told Grandmama she'd live forever. She knows that isn't true, says Magda--I told her what the cards said. Quentin asks if the cards suggested a sum of money for the gypsies. Magda doesn't answer. Quentin reminds her when his grandmother dies, Magda is going to need friends--and I have no prejudice against "your kind"--if Edith should die tonight, you would be forced to leave by morning. Magda says what must be. . .I might be happy to leave. Quentin says you've been here too long and have forgotten the road, you know that
[/spoiler]

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Barnabas - 'I have no time for your questions-- you MUST answer mine!') was back on June 2nd.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: May 10, 2022, 03:36:08 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Sunday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Sunday's quote:
Ep #886 (1796) - Barnabas - 'Disappear. I MUST disappear. I cannot. I cannot. Who are those people? What strange powers do they have.'

From "Robservations 4/10/03 - #886-887 - 1796 Finale; Hello, Leviathans!"
The two peculiar people kneel and bow to Barnabas, raising their hands to him as if in salute. Who are you? he asks--what are you doing? They rise to their feet and approach him. Don't come any closer, warns Barnabas--what do you want of me? The woman waves her hand again.  What kind of sign is that? demands Barnabas--you expect me to understand?--let go of me!  The man holds him tightly, preventing his escape. Disappear, Barnabas tells himself, but he can't--I can't! Who are these people? What strange powers do they have? He struggles in the man's grip, unable to free himself.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote almost perfectly, but it doesn't even indicate the use of "MUST"...

And this is the third quote from this ep. The first (Barnabas - 'I MUST get back to the path. Where is the path? Where is it?') was back on September 18th, and the second (Barnabas - 'How she MUST loathe me') was back on March 7th.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: May 11, 2022, 03:40:03 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Monday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Monday's quote:
Ep #971 (1970) - Julia - 'Barnabas, if it is Parallel Time, you MUSTN'T let yourself become part of it until we know more about it. It could be very dangerous.'

From "Robservations 6/6/03 - #970-971 - Willie's Thankless Task; An Odd Book"
I'm going up to bed--are you retiring, too? Barnabas, standing in the doorway, out of Liz' sight, shakes his head, indicating to Julia, I want you to stick around. I'm not going up yet, Julia tells Liz.  Barnabas hides from his cousin, waiting until she's gone upstairs, says Julia, I he saw many things up there, including you and Liz, and you were quarreling over a portrait of Angelique, who was important to both of you. She's part of this other existence, too, muses Julia.  I couldn't get in this time, either, says Barn--there's a barrier there.  I'm not sorry, says Julia, if it is parallel time, you must not let yourself become part of it until you know more about it--it could be very dangerous--we must talk to Stokes again.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote nearly perfectly...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: May 11, 2022, 08:58:06 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Tuesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Tuesday's quote:
Ep #1063 (1995) - Carolyn - 'You MUST see just one.'

From "#1062/1063: Robservations 08/13/03:"
Sheriff's office - Carolyn has brought a photo album to show the sheriff.  Seeming almost annoyed, he tells "Miss Carolyn", I don't have time to look at pictures. Nevertheless, she opens the album--you must see just one, she says. You spend too much time thinking about those days, he says. I do not, she says irritably, I never think about them, it's just that when I saw her last night, I began to remember...  She turns the album around and shows him a photo of Julia. It's the same woman, he says. Look, she says, pointing to the writing, spring, 1970.
She even wears her hair the same way, he says. Yes, says Carolyn, rising to her feet, and begins to giggle.  What kind of joke are you trying to pull? he demands. It's no joke, she says. That was 25 years ago, he says, no one looks now like they did then. No, says Carolyn, throwing her arms around like a child having a tantrum.
[/spoiler]

I don't remember if when this ep originally aired on July 22, 1970 we knew that photo is a publicity shot for hoDS. I know it was definitely published at some point in 1970. But loads of hoDS material began being published in April of '70 and continued to be for quite a while after the film opened in September. Though little did we know it's a photo associated with a scene (Scene 186 - Julia's walk with Barnabas) that isn't even in the film...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: May 12, 2022, 05:32:00 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Wednesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Wednesday's quote:
Ep #1186 (1841) - Daphne - 'None of this is possible. I MUST be having hallucinations. But no, I know what I just saw. But how?'

From "#1185/1186: Robservations 11/26/03: Deliberations Begin"
--you're so thoughtful and considerate, I've always considered myself lucky to have a sister like you.  I only want you to be happy, says Daphne--I just don't see how you can be in this house, I know I couldn't--there's a coldness here, a kind of terrible hostility, I feel it every time I come here--it frightens me.  Perhaps if I come here, everything will change, suggests Catherine.  I'm not sure that anything can change this house, says Daphne.  We'll see, predicts Catherine.  She walks away.  Daphne RT is suddenly faced with an empty room again.  She enters the dark room and looks around, sure she's having hallucinations--how can this be possible?--but no, I know what I just saw--but how?  She closes the doors and leaves.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations does a bit of rearranging and word changing, including leaving out "must," but it references the quote well...

And this is the third quote from this ep. The first (Catherine - 'He belongs to the past, and I MUST live my life by what is to be-- not by what has been') was back on April 1st of 2021, and the second (Daphne  - 'Barnabas, there MUST be a chance for an appeal!') was back on July 11th.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: May 13, 2022, 05:24:07 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Thursday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Thursday's quote:
Ep #1110 (1840) - Ben - 'You MUST mean Hortense.'

From "#1109/1110: Robservations 09/17/03: Back to the Past"
Where's Daphne? asks Julia.  I've never heard the name, says Ben.
The children's governess, says Julia.  You must mean Hortense, says Ben.
[/spoiler]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: May 15, 2022, 03:22:03 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Friday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Friday's quote:
Ep #4 (1966) - Carolyn - 'Oh I told her she MUST have been mistaken, that you don't jump that easily... unless you have a good reason.'

From "#0003/0004: Robservations 05/18/01: Fears About Burke"
Carolyn closes the doors and says they really should have the door soundproofed, don't you think? (if only she knew!) Just a little family discussion, Kitten, says Roger, nothing for you to worry about--why don't you go back up to bed?
I will, promises Carolyn, as soon as you answer one question--who's trying to kill you? Liz wants to know how long Carolyn has been outside the door? Not long enough or I wouldn't have to ask, says Carolyn--who is it?--Burke Devlin? Where did you hear that name from? demands Roger. It was Vicki, she mentioned it, says Carolyn. Roger exchanges looks with Liz. Did I say something wrong? asks Carolyn. Liz asks what Vicki said. Only that she told Uncle Roger that Devlin had given her a ride back from the railroad station, says Carolyn--and you almost blew a fuse, she tells her uncle. Roger walks away, to the piano, his head averted. I told her she must have been mistake, adds Carolyn, that you don't jump that easily--unless you have a good reason. She looks at him hopefully. This is not your affair, says Liz. How can you say that? asks Carolyn, if someone's trying to hurt Uncle Roger? Your mother is right, Kitten, says Roger, besides, it's nothing I can't handle myself, really. So what was all the yelling about? asks Carolyn--who is Burke Devlin, anyway?
[/spoiler]

Typing "mistake" rather than "mistaken" aside, the Robservations references the quote perfectly...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: May 16, 2022, 03:35:00 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Saturday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Saturday's quote:
Ep #195 (1967) - Liz - 'You MUST be mistaken.'

From "#0194/0195: Robservations 10/05/01: Enter Jason McG"
Carolyn is taking a nap; she's a little tired--Liz woke her several times last night because she heard her prowling around. Liz looks uncomfortable, asking, "You heard ME? That's impossible--I didn't get out of my bed last night." Carolyn assures her she heard her mother's door open and close several times last night. You must have been mistaken, says Liz.
[/spoiler]

And this is the fourth quote from this ep. The first (Liz - 'Oh, I know what you MUST have heard. You heard Vicki') was back on December 14th of 2020, the second (Carolyn - 'I really MUST insist upon knowing who you are') was back on September 27th, and the third (Liz - 'Well, you MUST have been dreaming it') was back on October 18th. So that all means that Ep #195 has joined the club with Eps #2, #3, #208, #211, #212, #296, #365, #384, #449, #550, #609, #646, #678, #727 and #1057. However, recall that Eps #211, #449 and #678 have five quotes...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: May 17, 2022, 07:22:02 PM »

[spoiler]Sunday's quote:
Ep #367 (1795) - Joshua - 'But you MUST understand, I am engaging you only on a trial basis. If at any time and for any reason I decide to discharge you, you MUST go immediately.'

From "#0367/0368_0369: Robservations 02/22/02: Introducing Angelique"
Joshua questions Vicki about her odd behavior, and says he knows about the carriage accident. He asks if she reads and writes, and, seeming surprised, says she does both, plus knows history, English lit, math and can play the. .clavichord? suggests Joshua. Yes, she quickly agrees.
He asks where she got her education. I was brought up in a Boston foundling home, replies Vicki. He asks her to step into the light, looks her over, pronounces her intelligent and harmless, and offers her four bucks a month plus room and board. She's to be in the nursery 8 AM the following morning; Sarah will be ready.
[/spoiler]

This Robservations falls into the period where there isn't as much detail and as such it doesn't reference the quote at all. However, after Joshua pronounces Vicki looks intelligent and seems perfectly harmless, Vicki questions, "Perfectly harmless?" But Joshua tells her to forget he said that. He then says that they need a governess, she is there, and he's willing to give her a chance. Vicki thanks him. And it is after that when Joshua delivers the quote. Vicki says she understands. And it is then that Joshua informs Vicki that her wages will be four dollars a month...

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Abigail - 'It MUST be crushed, destroyed!') was back on August 7th of 2020.

And BTW, for those who may not know, when this ep was shown in '80s syndication it was a kinescope. The color Master Tape wasn't issued until Volume 28 of the MPI VHS tapes came out in June of 1991. The Sci-Fi Channel also ran the color version.

I checked my old syndication tapes and unfortunately the day Ep #367 aired I was getting terrible over-the-air reception (it's funny that happened rarely, but it did happen, often when an ep I was really looking forward to watching aired.  [easter_rolleyes])  And it didn't help that some kinescopes weren't the clearest to begin with. But the point here is to show that it really was a kinescope: