Author Topic: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow  (Read 117307 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone In Collinsport's Favorite Word Slideshow
« Reply #735 on: April 17, 2021, 01:12:05 AM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Wednesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Wednesday's quote:
Ep #503 (1968) - Carolyn - 'You MUST protect me-- you MUST take me back to Collinwood.'

From "Robservations 6/3/02 - Everyone Frets Over Carolyn - #503/504"
Carolyn struggles with Adam and breaks free, begging him not to kill her. She sobs, and Adam helplessly approaches her, caressing her blonde tresses gently, then her face. She realizes he doesn't intend her harm, he's trying to comfort her. How strange--at times he's so frightening, but really very gentle, she says. He takes his hands away, and she tells him she doesn't mind. She takes one of his huge hands and places it back on her face. She likes him, she says, wants them to be friends. He repeats, "Friend!", smiling, and Carolyn says she wants them to be friends. Friends protect each other, she says, they must protect each other--he must take her back to Collinwood.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote well though, once again, not exactly...

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Julia - 'Willie, I know why you want to find her-- you want to tell her the dream, but you MUSTN'T') was back on July 25th.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: April 17, 2021, 06:02:05 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Thursday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Thursday's quote:
Ep #212 (1967) - Liz - 'Oh, you MUST be tired after your trip.'

From "#0212/0213: Robservations 10/19/01: Barnabas Uses His Charms"
You must be tired after your trip, she says. Yes, it was a long and difficult journey, he agrees--like coming from one world to another. (exactly like!) Is life in England so different from what it is here? she asks. Of course not, he says, and yet so much is so different--but Collinwood hasn't changed, I mean from what I've always heard--and I can't tell you how grateful I am for that--how very grateful. He heads for the door, Liz looking after him with a big grin on her face.
[/spoiler]

And again the Robservations references the quote just shy of perfectly...

Though little did Liz know that physically, anyway, Barnabas' "trip" simply consisted of coming from the mausoleum to Collinwood or maybe from the mausoleum to the Old House and then to Collinwood.  [easter_wink]  But of course within the scene her line is really to set up the fact that Barnabas has actually come from one time period to another...

And this is the fourth quote from this ep, currently tying with Eps #2 & #678 for most quotes from an ep. The first (Liz - Now you MUST promise to come whenever you like. You're not a stranger, you know-- you're a member of the family') was back on November 26th. The second (David - 'He MUST have heard a lot of stories) was back on December 19th. The third (Barnabas - 'Well now I MUST GO) was back on January 30th - and that third quote is from the same scene as this installment's quote - in fact, that third quote directly precedes it in the scene...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: April 18, 2021, 05:26:36 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Friday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Friday's quote:
Ep #66 (1966) - Burke - 'You MUST imagine that since I've already served my five years, come out of it with my health, made a lot of money since then, I really have no cause for complaint, right?'

From "#0065/0066: Robservations 07/03/01: Showdown!"
You don't know anything about Bill Malloy's evidence, says Burke, or about Bill Malloy's death? Neither one, says Roger--he certainly would have said something about it to me, and he didn't. And he didn't say anything about it to Sam Evan? Asks Burke. How should I know? asks Roger. Burke grins--I suppose you would rather I dropped this theory that Malloy told Evans something that would exonerate me? You're beating a dead horse--it's over and done with! exclaims Roger. I guess you're right, says Burke--you must imagine that since I've already served my five years, come out of it with my health, made a lot of money since then, I really have no cause for complaint, right? He sips his tea. It could have been worse for you, you know points out Roger, it's such a long time ago, and finished. I served five years, one month, three days and seven hours, recounts Burke, and every minute of that time I thought of what it would be like when I got back here!
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote word for word perfectly...

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Roger - 'Well, if you MUST know, she was going to TELL me about a dinner party she had with Sam Evans') was back on June 22nd.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: April 19, 2021, 05:24:03 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Saturday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Saturday's quote:
Ep #742 (1897) - Dirk - 'MUST be a storm coming up.'

From "Robservations 12/17/02 - #742-743 - Laura Sends Jenny After Q"
Charity and Dirk are about to leave the house when Dirk notes a sudden wind--must be a storm coming up.  She touches her neck.  We'd better get started, advises Dirk.
[/spoiler]

Again the Robservations references the quote word for word perfectly...

I had to laugh when I came across this quote. I mean, when ISN'T there a storm at Collinwood?!  [easter_wink]  The Collinsport weather forecasters have to have the easiest jobs in the world because it's either currently storming or it's going to storm.  [easter_grin]

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Beth - 'But we haven't settled it yet--sooner or later, we MUST') was back on April 22nd.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: April 20, 2021, 05:42:03 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Sunday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Sunday's quote:
Ep #699 (1969) - Maggie - 'That MUST mean that someone has covered it up because I'm positive it was there.'

From "Robservations 10/22/02 - #698/699 - Sabrina Remembers; Barnabas Discovers Quentin"
Julia knocks at Maggie's door, but she's gone. Barnabas hopes she didn't go to Collinwood alone. She promised to wait, says Julia. As they're leaving, then run into Maggie, who tells them Amy has disappeared. Barnabas tells Julia to search the third floor--Maggie and I will go to Collinwood--Willie and I searched the West Wing storage room, and found nothing. I'm positive that's the room, insists Maggie--there's a small opening in the base of the wall--someone must have covered it up, and I'm sure that's how David disappeared the first night I went to look for him. Barnabas rushes her out of there.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations leaves out half the quote and what is there is in Robin's own words so the "MUST" doesn't appear in quite the same way as it does in the actual quote. But at lease, unlike other instances, it wasn't a waste of time checking it out because a "MUST" does appear in the real line...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: April 21, 2021, 06:42:45 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Monday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Monday's quote:
Ep #1172 (1840) - Judard - 'Julia, I know how upset you are, but you MUSTN'T make accusations like that against me. Now, I don't know where Barnabas is. I've told you that. You MUST believe me.'

From "#1171/1172: Robservations 11/18/03: Another Brick in the Wall"
"What have you done with my brother?" demands Julia.  What an odd question, says Gerard, I told you this morning...  I know what you told me this morning, she says, but I know Barnabas too well to believe he could disappear this way
--he had to be trapped into it--and you two both had reason to stop him from testifying for Quentin.  If you are going to make these formal charges, says Gerard, I do hope you've prepared proof!   I know I can't prove anything, she says, but we are in this together, and I don't know why you won't admit you're working hand in hand with Trask, Mr. Stiles.  On the contrary, says Trask, I still have not convinced Mr. Stiles that Quentin is the heretic I know him to be--his stubborn loyalty to Quentin continues to mystify me--and as far as your brother is concerned, I suspect that the prospect of severe questioning by Charles Dawson was simply too much for him and he ran away...good night.  Julia, arms crossed, gives the departing Trask a glance of hatred.  I know how upset you are, he says gently, but you mustn't make accusations like that against me--I don't know where Barnabas is, I told you that--you must believe me--why don't you come in and have a drink with me?  He tries to take her arm, but she shrugs him off and leaves.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations' version of the quote is nearly perfect...

And I've always found picturing Barnabas running away in the middle of the night because he's too afraid of "severe questioning" to be hysterically funny. It's a really great insult (even if it couldn't be further from the type of person Barnabas is - I mean look at all the worse things he'd faced and stood his ground for)...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: April 22, 2021, 05:38:00 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Tuesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Tuesday's quote:
Ep #132 (1966) - Roger - 'He MUST have sneaked down and taken a peek-- that's the only logical explanation I can think of.'

From "#(0131_)0132/0133: Robservations 08/21/01: Burke and Laura"
How could he have known what I was going to tell him? asks Liz. What I said earlier must be true, says Roger, he must have heard us talking about her. Roger, says Liz, he was able to describe the coat he had on--it was blue, and he said he saw her sitting over there and she was--he said she kept staring into the fire and I noticed that, too--how could he have known all those things? He probably saw Laura, says Roger. He couldn't have, says Liz, he was sound asleep when she was here. We thought he was asleep, says Roger, he must have sneaked down and taken a peek--that's the only logical explanation I can think of. It's logical, agrees Liz, but it is correct? What are you saying? asks Roger--are you saying the boy has extrasensory perception? I don't know what I think, says Liz, I just know I looked in on him earlier and he was asleep--he was still asleep when Laura left the house--there is no way on earth he could have known how to describe those things.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote perfectly...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: April 23, 2021, 06:14:24 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Wednesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

Ep #907 (1969) - 'Grant' - 'Surely someone here MUST have known me.'

From "Robservations 4/24/03 - 907-908 - Weaving a Web Around Paul; Return of Roger"
Carolyn is explaining to Grant--Julia checked your ID and found you live at...  1115 Elm Street, Portland, Maine, Apt 3A, finishes Julia. Why can't *I* remember? asks Grant, frustrated--I don't know anything about myself--surely someone here must have known me. Your landlady says he had no wife or immediate relatives, says Julia. "She must have told you something," says Grant. Very little, says Julia. Can she be brought here, asks Grant--I must find out--I may be some clinical case to both of you, but...  No, objects Carolyn. "Well then tell me!" cries Grant--"Who am I?
[/spoiler]

And, unfortunately, 'Grant' delivers, "She must have told you something," while Julia, not he, is on camera - and "I must find out," is actually delivered as, "I've got to find out"...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: April 24, 2021, 06:46:23 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Thursday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Thursday's quote:
Ep #600 (1968) - Prof. Stokes - 'There MUST be a connection. If there were only some way of making contact.'

From "Robservations 8/12/02 #600/601 - A Chilling Summons"
Old House - Julia and Barn hear a knock at the door. It's Stokes, who tells them he went to the place Adam was hiding and learned he left there last night and hasn't been seen since. Barnabas expresses hope that's the last they'll see of him, but Stokes isn't sanguine--his instincts tell him not to hope for the best--he's suspicious of Leona, and if she was the reincarnation of Danielle Roger. . .  At this, the doors blow open, the candles blow out and the chandelier sways. The curtains billow, and the storm starts up. The three note that if just the mention of Danielle's name elicits this response, they must make contact! The bookcase opens and a book falls down onto the desk. The disturbance stops and Stokes deems it safe to check out the book. He opens it what turns out to be an account of the French Revolution, written by Philippe Cordier, published in 1798. Stokes says Philippe might want them to contact him, so they should hold a seance and find out.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations doesn't really reference the quote, at least not correctly. As reading the quote clearly shows, Stokes doesn't say they must make contact. After surmising that there must be a connection between Danielle Roger and the disturbance, Stokes simply wishes there was some way of making contact - and neither Barnabas nor Julia make any sort of remark about contacting whoever it is causing the disturbance. It isn't until after they learn about Philippe Cordier that the idea of making actual contact comes up - and it's all Stokes' idea at that...

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Prof. Stokes - 'No, you MUST tell us who lives in that house) was back on November 23rd.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: April 26, 2021, 07:16:01 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Friday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Friday's quote:
Ep #362 (1967) - Barnabas - 'But before that happens I MUST have her notebook.'

From "#0361/0362: Robservations 02/19/02: Barnabas Gaslights Julia"
Barnabas meets Carolyn outside Collinwood and gleefully reports that Julia is terrified and confused. You're being very cruel, Carolyn says, but Barnabas says she deserves such cruelty because she tried to keep him and Vicki apart. By the time he's finished with Julia, he gloats, she'll end up in a home for the incurably insane. First, however, he must get her notebook and destroy the last piece of evidence.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote pretty well - though while it's implied, there's no specific mention of destroying the notebook - simply that no evidence should be left to support what Julia might say...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: April 26, 2021, 11:20:44 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Saturday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

Ep #1028 (1970PT) - Sabrina - 'There MUST be some way for you to turn back to Cyrus, there MUST!'

From "#1028/1029: Robservations 07/21/03: Kidnapped!"
Do I frighten you? asks Yaeger--oh, good, because Cyrus Longworth never did. He attempts to retract the sword, but the whole damn thing falls out of the cane, another classic blooper. Yaeger, trying to recover it, asks, what's wrong with you?--you think too much, he accuses, you're just like Cyrus. He picks up cane and blade and holds them together in one hand. Why did you kill Gladstone? asks Sabrina. Because he dared to try to blackmail me! answers Yaeger, and you know what?--it was the perfect murder, just perfect. I don't believe you, says Sabrina--there must be some way for you to turn back to Cyrus, there must!  He chuckles cruelly. What a fool I was, she moans, working with you all this time, never suspecting your secret
[/spoiler]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: April 28, 2021, 07:40:06 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Sunday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

Ep #384 (1975) - Jeremiah - 'No, Josette-- you MUST stay out of this.'

From "#0384/0385: Robservations 03/06/02: Family Blood is Spilled"
Josette's room - Josette and Jeremiah quarrel about the duel. He has no choice, Jeremiah explains--they broke the rules, and now they have to pay the piper--Barnabas has asked for satisfaction, and this must be done.  People can't be brought back to life, she wails. Josette is only too aware of how close Barnabas and Jeremiah were before she came into their lives. No, Jeremiah says, he begged her to elope, they shared some kind of madness--but not love. If she still loves Barnabas, she says, she won't even admit that to herself. Jeremiah tells her that if he lives, they'll have a good life together, and if not...well, she'll be free.  She gets very upset at this remark and threatens to go to Barnabas herself to stop it. No, because Barnabas will think him a coward for sending his wife. This is payment due, a little sooner than they expected, but. . .Josette accuses her husband of wanting to sacrifice himself, but he says that's what Barnabas wants.
[/spoiler]

Another Robservations that not only doesn't reference the quote directly, it doesn't really reference the quote at all. What actually happens in the scene surrounding the quote is that after Josette threatens to go to Barnabas herself (because he might listen to her, which isn't mentioned) and Jeremiah says Barnabas would then think him a coward for sending her, Jeremiah delivers the quote (to which Josette wonders aloud how she can say out of something that she started - and which is something else that the Robservations doesn't mention).

It's also worth noting that there are several "Must" lines in this ep that are not included in the Robservations - and perhaps not surprisingly, the one that the Robservations indicates for this scene, "Barnabas has asked for satisfaction, and this must be done," doesn't actually exist in the scene...

And this is the second quote from this ep. The first (Barnabas - 'You MUST have hated me all your life') was back on July 4th...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: April 30, 2021, 05:56:06 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Monday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Monday's quote:
Ep #42 (1966) - James Blair - 'You MUST have noticed that the only property that has a mortgage is the big house itself, Collinwood.'

From "#0041/0042: Robservations 06/15/01: Sam's Torment"
The thing I like about your work is that it's thorough, says Burke, handing the other man what looks like a legal document--you never ask any questions. That's what I'm paid for, says Blair. Good, says Burke. You must have noticed that the only property that has a mortgage is the big house itself--Collinwood. Carolyn watches. I suppose pride prevented them from putting that up for hock, says Burke. Not at all, says Blair--Mr. Harris said that Mrs. Stoddard inquired about borrowing on it, but it's not an asset--more like a liability. That's interesting, says Burke. Who'd want it? asks Blair--big house like that, unless somebody wanted to turn it into a resort hotel or something--not too long ago, Mrs. Stoddard put in a petition for the property tax to be reduced--the reason for it was that half of the house is shut off and nothing used. The petition was granted, I suppose, asks Burke. Yes it was, Blair tells him. I'm not surprised, says Burke bitterly, that family owns everything there is to own in that town
--except me.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote perfectly. But as is quite clear once the excerpt above is read, the quote makes no sense within the scene because everything about the rest of the scene treats things as if Collinwood doesn't have a mortgage. Was the line accidentally delivered wrong but no one bothered to try to correct it? Who knows? It just comes off as weird...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: April 30, 2021, 10:18:04 PM »
If you don't want to know the circumstances surrounding Tuesday's entry in this slideshow, then don't read any further...

[spoiler]Tuesday's quote:
Ep #737 (1897) - Laura - 'Look deep in your soul. You will know. You MUST do something, there's very little time.'

From 'Robservations 11/21/02 - #736-737 - How Will Dirk "Warm" Laura?'
Laura's bedroom - She lies on the floor, unconscious.  Dirk enters, kneels beside her, lifts her into his arms and carries her to the bed. I don't understand, he says.  She regains consciousness and says, there's no need to understand, come closer, she orders.  I've been speaking foreign words that make no sense, he says.  She grabs his lapels.  "Come closer to me," she orders.  I shouldn't be here, says Dirk.  Do you want to leave? She asks.  No, he says, I want to stay and help you--I don't know why.  Because I'm going to die, she says.  You can't, you won't, he promises.  You have the power to save me, says Laura.  Dirk doesn't believe that.  Look deep in your soul, she tells him, you'll know, you must do something, there's very little time.  I don't know what to do, he says desperately--I don't know what to do!
He draws her into his arms, calls her name in a rough voice.  You do have the power, she says--only you can restore me!  No! he cries, it's impossible.  Look inside yourself, and you will see the flame of eternal life.  He holds her closely, promising he will never let her go--I don't want to lose you.  Use your power, cries Laura, don't let me die!  He clasps her tightly in his arms.
[/spoiler]

The Robservations references the quote almost exactly...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: April 30, 2021, 11:56:05 PM »

Ep #915 (1969) - Adlar - 'Enemies MUST be dealt with, that is the law.'

From "Robservations 4/29/03 - 913/914/915 - Warning for Barnabas: A Taste of Vampirism"
Barnabas gazes into the fire.  What is happening to me? He leans back in his chair, and begins to dream, thinking, a child cannot demand that someone be killed, he has no right. Oberon appears before him and says, Barnabas, YOU have no right to disobey. Barnabas looks at Oberon, asking, who are you?  I am one of them, says Oberon. It was your presence I felt in the room, says Barn.  Yes, says Oberon, I was waiting. What do you want from me? asks Barnabas. Originally, you were not one of us, says Oberon, we made you one of us, because you alone could transport our leader through time--we hoped just the act of making you one of us would be enough, that you would be loyal to us, but you are not. You dared to break our law. How? asks Barn. Enemies must be dealt with, that is the law, answers Oberon. "I will not hurt her!" insists Barnabas--the boy is cruel! He is a true Leviathan, says Oberon, he carries in his mind and heart what we believe--you are just an outsider who must constantly prove yourself, because you will never be above suspicion.
[/spoiler]

Before we get to this quote, it needs to be pointed out that the Leviathan who comes to Barnabas in this ep is not Oberon but one named Adlar. That is why Barnabas asks him who he is after he sees him. Barnabas has already interacted with Oberon in the flesh and in dreams and would have recognized him. However, in Robin's defense, nowhere in the ep does Adlar identify himself, plus the credits for the ep were too short to list him. We only know what the Leviathan's name is because it's listed in the DS Program Guide and as part of lists of characters/actors in various PomPress books...

And with that out of the way, the Robservations references the quote perfectly...